PDA

View Full Version : Rivers: They should be better than any team I've ever coached - We have our own Big 3

JerseyPalahniuk
10-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Sees big things out of DJ and Clippers defense. Unexpected

SAN DIEGO -- Doc Rivers won an NBA title with the Boston Celtics in large part because of the Celtics' "Big Three" of Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. Rivers believes he now has a "Big Three" with the Los Angeles Clippers.

"I'm always focused on our big three guys, Blake [Griffin], D.J. [DeAndre Jordan] and Chris [Paul]," Rivers said. "Their leadership is important to our team. I'm always watching them. I think those are the guys that I have more focus on than anybody else."

Paul and Griffin have combined to play in nine NBA All-Star Games, including the last three together, but Jordan has never been named an All-Star before. Rivers, however, feels comfortable putting the 25-year old center in the same conversation as Paul and Griffin heading into this season.

"That's our 'Big Three,' I like our 'Big Three,' " Rivers said. "I like what DeAndre gives us. He gives us something a lot of the guys in the league can't do. He can block shots, he can run the floor, he can defend, he's talking and he's in the best shape of his career. He's doing a lot of great things for us."

Rivers said he expects Jordan to be in the running for defensive player of the year this season and has spent the first two days of the Clippers' training camp in San Diego focusing on defense. Rivers expects the Clippers to be one of the best defensive teams in the league this season.

"They should be better than any team I've ever coached, I really believe that," Rivers said. "They're more athletic. They don't have the veteran IQ but they should be in that area. We have a couple of individual defenders that can be dominating on defense. We have great speed but we don't have the size in some ways as some of the teams I've coached."

Paul believes Rivers' high praise of the Clippers on defense is largely based on how their two big men will play.

"I think the reason he says that is solely because of D.J. and Blake," Paul said. "Their ability to protect the rim and their speed and athleticism is something that you rarely see in anybody let alone being on the same team. Those two are the cornerstones of our defense."

Rivers held two full-court scrimmages between the first and second teams at the end of practice on Wednesday. After the first team lost the first scrimmage, Paul demanded a rematch, which the first team won. Paul said the team has already noticed the difference in having Rivers as their coach just two days into training camp.

"One of the best things about Doc being here along with the rest of the coaching staff is the attention to detail," Paul said. "Everything has a purpose. He expects a lot of us. He allows us to be pros and men and he knows we all want to win and we got to show it."

beasted86
10-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Clippers forum.

This article realistically provided us with nothing. Not one singular detail. Not "X" player has gained/lost "X" amount of pounds. Not "X" player has been shooting "X" amount of free throws, jumpshots, 3PTers a day. Not we will be focusing on "X" part of the defense or offense this season. Nothing. This is truly a team forum post that doesn't belong in the NBA forum.

ryang
10-02-2013, 10:23 PM
But they won't be. Sorry Doc.

NoahH
10-02-2013, 10:41 PM
DeAndre Jordan... :eyebrow:

JerseyPalahniuk
10-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Clippers forum.

This article realistically provided us with nothing. Not one singular detail. Not "X" player has gained/lost "X" amount of pounds. Not "X" player has been shooting "X" amount of free throws, jumpshots, 3PTers a day. Not we will be focusing on "X" part of the defense or offense this season. Nothing. This is truly a team forum post that doesn't belong in the NBA forum.

Pretty disrespectful that he says this Clippers team should be better than his Championship Celtics teams. I know he's the coach and he has to instill confidence but he could have just said "we can compete for a title, we are amazing" or anything. He didn't have to compare to his old Celtics' teams.

And why does "X" players shooting "X" amount of shots a day mean anything? We see those posts all the time anyway. It seems like the former "quantitative" bs is also implied by a coach's comments - "best shape of his life" isn't comparable to losing x pounds?

Here a top coach who just highlighted a player who has been criticized heavily recently (DJ) and called him one of the "Big 3". Personally, i'm more intrigued by what coaches say than reading that "X" players has gained 10 pounds or is shooting "X" 3's a day...

DallasTrilla23
10-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Why Doc, Why?

Tony_Starks
10-02-2013, 10:58 PM
I love the fact that Doc is coaching these guys. If he can get Jordan and Griffin to buy into being big time defenders they will be a elite team....

Khri
10-02-2013, 10:59 PM

What a joke :laugh:

JerseyPalahniuk
10-02-2013, 11:01 PM
I love the fact that Doc is coaching these guys. If he can get Jordan and Griffin to buy into being big time defenders they will be a elite team....

If he's able to accomplish - ie convert them from "Lob City" to defenders, then they'll be yearly contenders.

Chronz
10-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Clippers forum.

From what I've heard, DJ has been devoted to film study (with Doc and Coach K alike) his time with Team USA has been spent by stressing the importance of communication. He seems more mature and ready to make the leap that Tyson Chandler made.

Why would this need to be moved to the Clippers forum when there is so little activity in the main forum? Must everything be devoted to the Heat in order to be relevant?

This is a HOF coach speaking highly of a new big 3 hes envisioned. Hes given his opinion on why they would be so dominant defensively. Its up to you to break down why hes wrong.

Chronz
10-02-2013, 11:05 PM

People said the same thing about Tyson Chandler becoming a DPOY caliber player.

TheNumber37
10-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Yes, he is Big and Yes when he had him to Paul and Griffin you get a total of 3 players, Yes that's true...

beasted86
10-02-2013, 11:41 PM
From what I've heard, DJ has been devoted to film study (with Doc and Coach K alike) his time with Team USA has been spent by stressing the importance of communication. He seems more mature and ready to make the leap that Tyson Chandler made.
What you said here, if true, gave 10x the insight of the original post.

Why would this need to be moved to the Clippers forum when there is so little activity in the main forum? Must everything be devoted to the Heat in order to be relevant?

This is a HOF coach speaking highly of a new big 3 hes envisioned. Hes given his opinion on why they would be so dominant defensively. Its up to you to break down why hes wrong.
Well he hasn't said anything out of bounds in my opinion. He hasn't specifically compared the Celtics to the Clippers. Right now he is trying to motivate his guys and get them to buy into him by showering them with praise of his expectations, that's it. There was nothing "new" provided in the article we haven't seen before. The truth of the matter is I can make a good argument that DeAndre Jordan is the weakest Center in his division (Bogut, Gasol, Cousins, Gortat).... so it's almost disrespectful to start comparing him to all-stars or anything that can be referred to as a "big" anything.

JerseyPalahniuk
10-03-2013, 12:07 AM
What you said here, if true, gave 10x the insight of the original post.

Well he hasn't said anything out of bounds in my opinion. He hasn't specifically compared the Celtics to the Clippers. Right now he is trying to motivate his guys and get them to buy into him by showering them with praise of his expectations, that's it. There was nothing "new" provided in the article we haven't seen before. The truth of the matter is I can make a good argument that DeAndre Jordan is the weakest Center in his division (Bogut, Gasol, Cousins, Gortat).... so it's almost disrespectful to start comparing him to all-stars or anything that can be referred to as a "big" anything.

you wouldn't classify that as "out of bounds" ?

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 02:04 AM
The funny thing is it's a closer comparison than you think IF DJ and Griffin take a step. Griffin is already at least statistically on a tier SIMILAR to KG or Pierce that year and you can definitely say CP3 was likely better than Pierce or KG on the Celtics. So the big difference here is between the 3rd guy (Allen and DJ). If DJ and Griffin make sizable improvements, which I expect... it's not unrealistic.

What's more is DJ is 25, Blake 24 and CP3 just turned 28. This group has a much larger window if they all buy in and improve.

beasted86
10-03-2013, 02:14 AM
you wouldn't classify that as "out of bounds" ?

He's speaking positive of his own team, it's not unexpected or out of bounds. Now if ESPN claimed that to be a big 3 they deserve to be flamed.

The funny thing is it's a closer comparison than you think IF DJ and Griffin take a step. Griffin is already at least statistically on a tier SIMILAR to KG or Pierce that year and you can definitely say CP3 was likely better than Pierce or KG on the Celtics. So the big difference here is between the 3rd guy (Allen and DJ). If DJ and Griffin make sizable improvements, which I expect... it's not unrealistic.

What's more is DJ is 25, Blake 24 and CP3 just turned 28. This group has a much larger window if they all buy in and improve.

They were only the Big 3 by nickname... the Celtics real Big 3 had Rondo replacing Allen way back in 2010.

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 02:20 AM
He's speaking positive of his own team, it's not unexpected or out of bounds. Now if ESPN claimed that to be a big 3 they deserve to be flamed.

They were only the Big 3 by nickname... the Celtics real Big 3 had Rondo replacing Allen way back in 2010.

Doc didn't elaborate but that WAS the big three originally until 2010. Still if we look at 2010, sure Rondo took a leap but KG and Pierce had declined noticeably. Take any year of the big 3, factor in a leap from Blake and DJ which is realistic and it's not farfetched as you guys are making it to be.

1. CP3
2. KG
3. Pierce
4. Griffin
5. Rondo/Allen
6. DJ

CP3 needs no explanation, Griffin is a career 20/10/4 type with great efficiency and is just 24 years old with great upside. The gap here is the 3rd option as I said.

5ass
10-03-2013, 02:34 AM
People are underrating just how well JJ and Dudley are going to fit with that team. They finally have great role players and a deep bench around their "big 3". If Jordan can improve defensively and become close to elite on that end, im picking them to come out of the West. Jordan needs to become a better defensive anchor, and be able to play 35 mpg though. I have no doubt that Rivers can help him.

The Western conference play offs are going to be so fun. Warriors, Rockets, Spurs, Clippers, Thunder, and the Grizzlies are all great teams.

5ass
10-03-2013, 02:37 AM
The thing is with CP3 you never have to worry about offense. Its all on Blake and DJ and how well they can protect the paint and limit other teams' bigs. I'd like to see how the Clippers play Howard. I can see the rockets being a problem for them.

Leftcoast_yg
10-03-2013, 02:56 AM
Doc must have pinched Barnes Kush stash while they were practicing, went home, blazed up and said this nonsense.

Ill take a prime KG Pierce over Cp3 Griffin and Deandre...i left out allen and rondo on purpose.

beasted86
10-03-2013, 03:24 AM
Doc didn't elaborate but that WAS the big three originally until 2010. Still if we look at 2010, sure Rondo took a leap but KG and Pierce had declined noticeably. Take any year of the big 3, factor in a leap from Blake and DJ which is realistic and it's not farfetched as you guys are making it to be.

1. CP3
2. KG
3. Pierce
4. Griffin
5. Rondo/Allen
6. DJ

CP3 needs no explanation, Griffin is a career 20/10/4 type with great efficiency and is just 24 years old with great upside. The gap here is the 3rd option as I said.

Its a sizable gap. Rondo or Allen were all-stars. Jordan is closer to Perkins than he is close to being an all-star. Any talk of him being part of a big 3 is hopeful wishing or false bravado... as I said, I can make a very solid argument he is the worst starting Center in his own division. He's yet to be trustworthy enough to keep on the floor in the 4th quarter. He didn't get 1 singular all-defensive team vote from any of the coaches which includes Rivers himself, and now you're going to tell me he is a DPOY candidate? He's can't be considered part of a "big 3". I really don't know where you are trying to go with this to be honest. Rivers was merely trying to inspire his team. This isn't newsworthy.

Cracka2HI!
10-03-2013, 03:24 AM
Doc said they should be the best defensive team he's ever coached. He said this because Blake and especially DJ are bigger, stronger and more athletic than any players he's ever coached. CP3 elaborated to say players like them are rare and to have them both has not happened. The article is about DJ and defense not this Clippers team being better than Boston's big 3 championship team.

BALLER R
10-03-2013, 05:07 AM
If he's able to accomplish - ie convert them from "Lob City" to defenders, then they'll be yearly contenders.

The problem is if this team is better than any team he's coached then they have to win multiple championships. They were already contenders.

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Its a sizable gap. Rondo or Allen were all-stars. Jordan is closer to Perkins than he is close to being an all-star. Any talk of him being part of a big 3 is hopeful wishing or false bravado... as I said, I can make a very solid argument he is the worst starting Center in his own division. He's yet to be trustworthy enough to keep on the floor in the 4th quarter. He didn't get 1 singular all-defensive team vote from any of the coaches which includes Rivers himself, and now you're going to tell me he is a DPOY candidate? He's can't be considered part of a "big 3". I really don't know where you are trying to go with this to be honest. Rivers was merely trying to inspire his team. This isn't newsworthy.

I don't think it's farfetched at all to think DJ could be a Tyson Chandler/Marcus Camby type impact player given the flashes he's shown. He's had some truly dominant stretches and single games. IF he can become that, he will be a legit all star and definitely deserving of being considered a "big 3".

But anyways that's off topic and the Celtics were an all time great, legendary team so let's let them have their glory. I'm just saying people absolutely ARE underselling the upside of this Clippers team. The potential for multiple rings rises to a realistic level IF Doc can get DJ+Blake to take a leap and really find their niche, which I think he can. As Cracka said though Doc was purely talking defense. Here is the full quote.

"They should be better than any team I've ever coached, I really believe that," Rivers said. "They're more athletic. They don't have the veteran IQ but they should be in that area. We have a couple of individual defenders that can be dominating on defense. We have great speed but we don't have the size in some ways as some of the teams I've coached."

He meant defensive POTENTIAL due to freak athletes with quickness to guard multiple positions and he's right. DJ has the tools to be an all time great defensive anchor. Blake already has shown signs he can guard 4 positions in spurts, will be scary if he takes a big defensive leap under Doc. I've seen him switch onto SG's and get stops and his PNR trapping last year was insane.

Beasted your point is valid though. It's mostly a motivation/mind game ploy.

FlashBolt
10-03-2013, 02:12 PM

Yeah, but KG, Allen, and Pierce are all proven stars who knew how to play the right way. Other than Paul, what does BG and DJ know how to do? They lack a lot of skill and rely solely on talent. Maybe they can change that this year but I don't think BG can all of a sudden start shooting shots. As for DJ, he just needs to be a Ben Wallace type defender. They have plenty of scoring options already.

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Yeah, but KG, Allen, and Pierce are all proven stars who knew how to play the right way. Other than Paul, what does BG and DJ know how to do? They lack a lot of skill and rely solely on talent. Maybe they can change that this year but I don't think BG can all of a sudden start shooting shots. As for DJ, he just needs to be a Ben Wallace type defender. They have plenty of scoring options already.

DJ has no chance to become Ben Wallace but I think he can become Tyson Chandler/Marcus Camby type. Blake has always had a decent stroke but didn't know how to use it and had a flawed form. He was a better midrange shooter than Kevin Love for example the last couple years. He's worked his *** off on face up this summer and this will be his 2nd season with a personal shooting coach, so I'm hoping it pays off. He's hitting 20 footers and 3's consistently in pick up games and so far in the short scrimmages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBPDJlEDKzY

Skillset isn't Blake's issue in the past, mentality is.

Avenged
10-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Big 3 and includes D.J in there.. I chuckled.

HoodedSB
10-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Clippers forum.

Are you a mod? No? Then **** off. Clippers forum is a barren wasteland.

DR_1
10-03-2013, 02:42 PM
:laugh2: DJ big 3 material

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Are you a mod? No? Then **** off. Clippers forum is a barren wasteland.

:laugh: :laugh:. Seriously.

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Big 3 and includes D.J in there.. I chuckled.

If he became a Noah/Chandler/Camby type player would you chuckle? His trajectory is similar to them in a lot of ways and how he's progressed.

http://clipperblog.com/2013/10/03/prix-fixe-deandres-big-year/

Difference is Jordan was a 35th pick, Noah was 9th and Chandler was 2nd. So he should get more slack. Not saying he's that good but at his age/experience level he's not far from them. Once Noah got Thibs he exploded defensively but prior under Vinny, he looked only marginally better than DJ defensively according to those charts and findings in the link. DJ has never had a good defensive coach until now.

todu82
10-03-2013, 03:10 PM
The Clippers should be good this year but I don't think they're as good as the top 3 of Boston's in 2008.

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 03:12 PM
The Clippers should be good this year but I don't think they're as good as the top 3 of Boston's in 2008.

Obviously not. Doc was referring to defensive potential due to athleticism and being much younger.

Chronz
10-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Obviously not. Doc was referring to defensive potential due to athleticism and being much younger.
Do you think they achieve it? Boston did have one of the best defenses of all time

tp13baby
10-03-2013, 03:19 PM

I laughed when I saw his name pop up as a big 3. ahhaha

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Do you think they achieve it? Boston did have one of the best defenses of all time

No I don't think they will get close to 2008 Celtics defense, which as you said is an all time classic one. That's only because of our lower IQ and defensive fundamentals though. If KG had DJ's body/athleticism he would have been even better. I think our players have better tools to be elite defenders than the Celtics did but the advantage they had in IQ, fundamentals and skill is too great to make up for.

I do think they can be an elite defense right now though. I said this summer I think we have a great chance to be the ONLY top 5 offense and defense, like the Spurs were last year.

Chronz
10-03-2013, 03:28 PM
How many coaches have said they feel like DJ has DPOY potential. IIRC that interim guy we had compared him to Bill Russell

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 03:32 PM
How many coaches have said they feel like DJ has DPOY potential. IIRC that interim guy we had compared him to Bill Russell

Kim Hughes did?? I think it's because he DOES have DPOY potential. As a fan you've probably seen the flashes I have. I saw him singlehandedly shut Aldridge down last year when he was being hyped as the best PF in the game. I've seen him have multiple 5+ block games, including averaging that over 5 or more games. I've seen him have freak stat lines like 17 points, 21 rebounds, 7 blocks or W/E he had vs the Nuggets a couple years ago.

He DOES have the tools and potential to be that. In 2011 when he really broke out, replacing Kaman he dominated defensively. To the point to where Phil Jackson said HE, not Griffin or Gordon were responsible for us turning the season around in December-January.

Now he's got a top tier defensive coach, had a team USA experience and got truly humbled in the playoffs last year (much worse than year before). I think it's now or never for DJ so I'm giving him one more chance. Everything is lined up for him for a breakout year. If he doesn't do it THIS year, he never will but I have faith.

Chronz
10-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Yea Hughes was the guy, it was funny but it seems lots of coaches have tried to instill this mentality in DJ. I agree, its now or never for DJ. I had high hopes last year and he was fulfilling them to start the year, then it all went to hell.

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Yea Hughes was the guy, it was funny but it seems lots of coaches have tried to instill this mentality in DJ. I agree, its now or never for DJ. I had high hopes last year and he was fulfilling them to start the year, then it all went to hell.

Have you noticed that the last 2 years? I have. He starts off amazing... then declines rapidly before all star break. I honestly think it's because he's incredibly mentally soft and when he starts getting frustrated or having clashes with Vinny, he lets it destroy is game.

He's so damn gifted by has an awful IQ and attitude (at least historically). I mean he's 6'11 265 with a 7'6 wingspan and the 2nd best standing reach in the game (maybe 3rd with that rookie Gobert). He's athletic as a mother... right there with Dwight and McGee at the center spot. His flaws and mistakes are all mental, low IQ issues. Outside of the bad hands I guess.

Bruno
10-03-2013, 04:12 PM
they really did. tony allen was coming off the bench :laugh2:

4milesperday
10-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Doc is not a good coach