PDA

View Full Version : Spoelstra Gets Multi- Year Extension

Tony_Starks
10-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Not sure of it was mentioned but I'm really glad to hear they rewarded him. He's a great coach that gets all the blame and none of the credit.

Most people think coaching an allstar team is easy but it's no joke managing all that talent, not to mention egos....

beasted86
10-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Spoelstra is seriously underrated. The guy holds his composure and is very detail oriented. He is also defensive minded and the HEAT have had a top defense the entire time under his watch, even before LeBron.

D-Leethal
10-01-2013, 09:27 PM
I think Spo is underrated, tremendous XOs guy and strategist, but damn he gives some of the sorriest "hoo-rah" speeches in the huddle I have ever seen. Embarassing actually, but hey, the guy is obviously doing something right, and when Pat the Rat has that type of faith in you, can't help but respect it.

Slug3
10-01-2013, 09:32 PM
At the moment it seems like some people want to give Spo no credit cause he has goo players, but didn't label Phil and pop an the other frets for who they had. It's like a double standard.

D-Leethal
10-01-2013, 09:34 PM
At the moment it seems like some people want to give Spo no credit cause he has goo players, but didn't label Phil and pop an the other frets for who they had. It's like a double standard.

You've never heard anyone dog Phil for that?

I think Pop doesn't get dogged for that because he took late first/early seconds and developed them into the superstars they became around Timmy. They were unknowns who became HOFers under Pops tutelage. He didn't get ready-made superstars like Spo and Phil.

Tony_Starks
10-01-2013, 10:02 PM
You've never heard anyone dog Phil for that?

I think Pop doesn't get dogged for that because he took late first/early seconds and developed them into the superstars they became around Timmy. They were unknowns who became HOFers under Pops tutelage. He didn't get ready-made superstars like Spo and Phil.

This is true. Their were numerous years where you could've flipped a coin and have COY to either Phil or Pop. But they got snubbed because of the old "too much talent" rule.

Sly Guy
10-02-2013, 11:38 AM

lol, I label phil the same way. Pop wins without his star players too, however...

ryang
10-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Throw up sound. Can't stand spo and his lineups and in game adjustments. The guy is not underrated at all IMO.

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Spoelstra is seriously underrated. The guy holds his composure and is very detail oriented. He is also defensive minded and the HEAT have had a top defense the entire time under his watch, even before LeBron.

A monkey could coach that stacked team to championships with ease.

SteBO
10-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Happy for Spo....this guy is so underrated and disrespected even by Miami's own fanbase. Glad to see Pat and Mickey realize just how good a coach Spo is.

SanAntonioSpurs23
10-02-2013, 02:45 PM
:laugh: Wasn't it just 3 years ago when everyone was saying he sucks and needed to be fired?

ryang
10-02-2013, 03:22 PM
:laugh: Wasn't it just 3 years ago when everyone was saying he sucks and needed to be fired?

The fans that know the game and have been watching since we entered the league know he's not that great. Happy for him sad for me. I don't feel like watching his lineups, subs or anything else for that matter any longer. Before Lebron got here wade was our coach. Any heat fan says differently either isn't watching the games or is in denial. Hell even last years finals wade walked up to Lebron and said "he wants us to switch" Lebron said "who" wade laughed and said spo. Lebron looked confused to say the least. Guess what happened? They didn't switch. Lmao.

SteBO
10-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Well consider the source. Your favorite NBA teams' coach and Doc Rivers have both marveled at Spo's work managing this team and it's egos' in the past. At that point, you'd need to re-evaluate and decide who's word you're going to take to heart. The Spo narrative is one of the very few in regards to the heat that really expose the "fickle" fans. I've heard legitimate viewpoints on the other side of the fence, but those are few and far between.

WadeCounty
10-02-2013, 03:58 PM
and to this day I still say he sucks, he's not the worst but certainly not the best.

A year or 2 ago I believe in this site I mentioned how the heat have a hard time letting go of people. For all of their office jobs they basically have all the same people from over a decade ago. Then when an ex player wants a job for them they open up bs positions within their organization to accommodate them such as Tim hardaways title.

I joked around about the day Juwan Howard were to retire he would become an assistant coach or something and BAM! Assistant coach he became and the previous coach got moved to some other position. This is good and bad as players see the loyalty the Heat have but bad at the same time because there are other assistant coaches out there that are more qualified than the ones they have on their roster

Delrayhc
10-02-2013, 04:15 PM

A monkey could coach that stacked team to championships with ease.

And im sure if that monkey didnt coach that stacked team to a championship you would spank that monkey with with a smile on your face.

Tony_Starks
10-02-2013, 04:27 PM
The first year Spo would basically alternate playing Lebron and Wade trying to figure out how to mesh them. He now gets Wade more off the ball movement to utilize them both. He also made the adjustment of clearing Bosh out of the paint to open the lane for Lebron/ Wade. Not to mention runs a lot of the old misdirection plays Doc used to run to free up Ray and Miller.

He hasn't exactly been sitting back twiddling his thumbs....

ryang
10-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Well consider the source. Your favorite NBA teams' coach and Doc Rivers have both marveled at Spo's work managing this team and it's egos' in the past. At that point, you'd need to re-evaluate and decide who's word you're going to take to heart. The Spo narrative is one of the very few in regards to the heat that really expose the "fickle" fans. I've heard legitimate viewpoints on the other side of the fence, but those are few and far between.

Managing egos? How hard can that be considering those three wanted this? It's not like they were traded there against there will. He does fine in that department but that is not the measure of a great coach. Either way I'm just happy I'm complaining about a coach who just won back to back titles. He's not the worse coach in the league that goes to illusions boy mike d.

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-02-2013, 06:53 PM
And im sure if that monkey didnt coach that stacked team to a championship you would spank that monkey with with a smile on your face.

aug 2010.

Ethix11
10-02-2013, 07:44 PM
The fans that know the game and have been watching since we entered the league know he's not that great. Happy for him sad for me. I don't feel like watching his lineups, subs or anything else for that matter any longer. Before Lebron got here wade was our coach. Any heat fan says differently either isn't watching the games or is in denial. Hell even last years finals wade walked up to Lebron and said "he wants us to switch" Lebron said "who" wade laughed and said spo. Lebron looked confused to say the least. Guess what happened? They didn't switch. Lmao.

Lol is there footage of this?

He's not the best but he is young and improving. One positive is that he is a hardworker and whenever you have that in someone, time will allow you to prove it. How good was Thibs at his age, Pop, Vogal? Better get used to Spo because the Heat are sticking with him like Ron Rothstein. The experience of coaching a dynasty makes you better and it will payoff in the future when we have the leagues' longest tenured coach. Although the '11 finals still stings I expect him to make up for it someday.

ryang
10-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Lol is there footage of this?

He's not the best but he is young and improving. One positive is that he is a hardworker and whenever you have that in someone, time will allow you to prove it. How good was Thibs at his age, Pop, Vogal? Better get used to Spo because the Heat are sticking with him like Ron Rothstein. The experience of coaching a dynasty makes you better and it will payoff in the future when we have the leagues' longest tenured coach. Although the '11 finals still stings I expect him to make up for it someday.

Not sure how to find it but wade used to call people off the bench right in front of spo. Mostly bringing Haslem in late but it most definetly happened on many occasions. I don't want to get used to him but I have no choice. IMO he makes our games that much tougher to win but that's just me

beasted86
10-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Spoelstra has always been stubborn with his rotations, but you are completely wrong about Wade "coaching" the team... that's completely laughable. First things first is forget Spo.... Riley wouldn't let that type of move fly like calling in another player to get subbed. Second thing is I know exactly what revisionist history you are trying to write here, and pretty much these subs were no brainers because Beasley made a mind blowing defensive lapse or failure to box out and a sub out was warranted. Haslem was the closer ANYWAY. What you are mainly confusing is the fact that Wade "was" our offense, so pretty much any play he wanted to run on that end was his choice.

ryang
10-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Spoelstra has always been stubborn with his rotations, but you are completely wrong about Wade "coaching" the team... that's completely laughable. First things first is forget Spo.... Riley wouldn't let that type of move fly like calling in another player to get subbed. Second thing is I know exactly what revisionist history you are trying to write here, and pretty much these subs were no brainers because Beasley made a mind blowing defensive lapse or failure to box out and a sub out was warranted. Haslem was the closer ANYWAY.

Wish I could find the interview with wade as well as game footage of wade doing so. It's not laughable. It happened. I've watched every game since I was 9 in 88. Wade most certainly made subs without spos approval. Watch some tape. Sooner or later you'll find it if not I guess you can just take your own instinct for it. But it did happen on more then one occasion regardless of how you feel Riley would have reacted. It was on sun sports the other day a matter of fact. Watch more heat shows. Sooner or later you'll see the interviews of wade saying he didn't respect spo like he should have at the beginning. Go look at last years finals. Listen to wade and Lebron mock spo. Beleive it was game 5.