PDA

View Full Version : 6th Annual PSD Player Rankings #4 Player In The NBA? (Volume: VI)

Mile High Champ
10-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Hey guys, It is that time of year again! Once again we kick of the PSD NBA Off-Season Player Rankings. This is the 6th year I have done this on PSD and it always brings some great discussion and debate. Please keep things civil and discuss who you feel is most fitting and deserving of being voted in each poll.

A lot has changed since last season. Lebron James and the Miami Heat are back to back NBA champions after an exciting 7 game series win over the Spurs. Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 5 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

In terms of adding players to the poll, it will be done like this.

As soon as Chris Paul goes off the board, I will add other PG's.
As soon as James Harden goes off the board, I will add other SG's
As soon as Kevin Love goes off the board, I will add other PF's.

And so on and so on..

This is to ensure that players that won their respective positions get a higher place in the list. One of the goals of these polls is to maintain some continuity between the polls we completed to the final player poll we are currently voting.

2013 NBA Off-Season Player Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Chris Paul
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

2012 NBA Off-Season Player Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Dwight Howard
4) Chris Paul
5) Kobe Bryant
6) Dwyane Wade
7) Kevin Love
8) Derrick Rose
9) Dirk Nowitzki
10) Russell Westbrook
11) Carmelo Anthony
12) Deron Williams
13) Andrew Bynum
14) Rajon Rondo
15) Tony Parker & Kevin Garnett

2011 Off-Season Best Player Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Dwight Howard
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Chris Paul
5) Dirk Nowitzki
6) Kobe Bryant
7) Kevin Durant
8) Derrick Rose
9) Deron Williams
10) Carmelo Anthony

2010 Off-Season Best Player Rankings

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Lebron James
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Kevin Durant
5) Chris Paul
6) Dwight Howard
7) Carmelo Anthony
8) Dirk Nowitzki
9) Deron Williams
10) Tim Duncan - Pau Gasol Tie

2009 Off-Season Best Player Rankings

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Lebron James
3) Dwayne Wade
4) Chris Paul
5) Dwight Howard
6) Tim Duncan
7) Dirk Nowitzki
8) Carmelo Anthony
9) Kevin Garnett
10) Brandon Roy

ManRam
10-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Definitely a huge drop off here...

I have no idea who I'd pick here.

NYKnickFanatic
10-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Call me a homer, I guess.

Pierzynski4Prez
10-01-2013, 11:50 AM
none of the above

ManRam
10-01-2013, 11:57 AM
I went with Harden but my heart is soooo not in that.

Gators123
10-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Yeah I'm not really sure..

Kashmir13579
10-01-2013, 01:02 PM
I went with Harden but my heart is soooo not in that.

My heart was with none of these, so i played it safe and picked Duncan. I get why we do this format but it has ultimately failed us.

Mile High Champ
10-01-2013, 01:07 PM
My heart was with none of these, so i played it safe and picked Duncan. I get why we do this format but it has ultimately failed us.

Not at all. It has simply failed you.

unleashthebeast
10-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Duncan Harden Melo all have a solid case here

ManningToTyree
10-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Even as a Knicks fan, I think I give a slight edge to Harden here.

Melo at 5

Minimal
10-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Duncan. I can't believe James Harden has the opportunity to go down 4th in this system. I'd take Westbrook easily over him and Parker is overrated a lil bit.

Chronz
10-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Went Duncan

jstone0716
10-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Would have liked to see Dirk on this list. May not be 4th anymore but he's still better than Love.

tredigs
10-01-2013, 03:33 PM

How so? Howard? Most went Duncan over him earlier, not sure why that would change.

Kashmir13579
10-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Not at all. It has simply failed you.
Duncan is not the 4th best player in the NBA but i was forced to choose him, and for that reason your format has failed.

Kashmir13579
10-01-2013, 04:52 PM
How so? Howard? Most went Duncan over him earlier, not sure why that would change.
Who said anything about Howard?

unleashthebeast
10-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Who in the world are you talking about then Kashmir? I think after the top 3, the majority of NBA fans and analysts would have one of Duncan, Harden, Melo next.

Kashmir13579
10-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Kobe? Wade? If i can freely vote for 'Melo or Kevin Love, and not the others something should be changed.

tredigs
10-01-2013, 05:19 PM
And we have the token whiner of 2013. They both already lost to Harden in the Top 10 SG's vote - hence Kobe/Wade being out of the running until he goes in order to maintain continuity within the lists. Otherwise, que "BUT HOW COULD KOBE GO OVER HARDEN IF HE ALREADY LOST IN THE SG LIST?!?!". You can't please everyone, and it has been this way for years. Why do people (especially veteran posters) insist on stirring this up every year?

jimm120
10-01-2013, 05:19 PM

Hahaha lol. Seems everyone is feeling the same way lol.

I loathe this format. yes, it makes "sense" to have them according to how they finished in their respective rankings....but being a top PG or top C isn't the same as being a top overall player. For example in 2010 or so. Deron would have been the better PG in my rankings but as overall players...Rose would have been choosen ahead of him.

Just an example.

I like Melo and Harden...but neither should even be around top 4.

jimm120
10-01-2013, 05:21 PM
And we have the token whiner of 2013. They both already lost to Harden in the Top 10 SG's vote - hence Kobe/Wade being out of the running until he goes in order to maintain continuity within the lists. Otherwise, que "BUT HOW COULD KOBE GO OVER HARDEN IF HE ALREADY LOST IN THE SG LIST?!?!". You can't please everyone, and it has been this way for years. Why do people (especially veteran posters) insist on stirring this up every year?

Because they've disagreed with it from the beginning.

Because it does make sense to a certain extent (its not wrong).....but there's something else that makes even MORE sense (eg. better).

tredigs
10-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Hahaha lol. Seems everyone is feeling the same way lol.

I loathe this format. yes, it makes "sense" to have them according to how they finished in their respective rankings....but being a top PG or top C isn't the same as being a top overall player. For example in 2010 or so. Deron would have been the better PG in my rankings but as overall players...Rose would have been choosen ahead of him.

Just an example.

I like Melo and Harden...but neither should even be around top 4.

I think the biggest issue with that is with the Centers. And it's probably why Bosh fell (only example I can think of on any list actually). But I don't see it as an issue with Rose/Deron then and especially not with shooting guards or forwards.

Was it Kobe's unbelievable shutdown D that makes them want to vote for him as an "overall player" over Harden or Wade rather than on the SG list?

Because they've disagreed with it from the beginning.

Because it does make sense to a certain extent (its not wrong).....but there's something else that makes even MORE sense (eg. better).

No, people just want it their way, and if it's not their way they will yell and scream about it. You would see just as many complaints (if not more), if the list was open to everyone.

Mile High Champ
10-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Duncan is not the 4th best player in the NBA but i was forced to choose him, and for that reason your format has failed.

PSD begs to differ. You can whine and complain by the system is in place for a reason and there is nothing wrong with it what so ever. PSD believes Duncan right now is better than Howard and that Parker is better than Westbrook. Deal with it.

I also don't buy the whole one player might be better at his position but not overall. Say what???

Bruno
10-01-2013, 05:35 PM
i voted duncan out of respect.

Bruno
10-01-2013, 05:37 PM
PSD begs to differ. You can whine and complain by the system is in place for a reason and there is nothing wrong with it what so ever. PSD believes Duncan right now is better than Howard and that Parker is better than Westbrook. Deal with it.

I also don't buy the whole one player might be better at his position but not overall. Say what???
^some one could argue that player A is better at playing a traditional PG role, but that player B who also plays PG is is a better overall player (but with lesser traditional PG skills). thats not necessarily my opinion, but its interesting.

whatever. you either stand pat or you get sick of defending your system thread in thread out, year in and year out and just add more options. i'm personally more annoyed with the threads getting de-railed with this endless debate more than anything else. id rather just shut everybody up and discuss basketball. i'd trade that for 'voter consistency' honestly. Marc Gasol didn't even make the defensive first team this year, and he was our DPOY. Noah and Chandler got the defensive first team nod in front of them. if they don't care about the lack of consistency...

5ass
10-01-2013, 05:45 PM
the easiest solution to people complaining, is just always putting the top 2 players at each position left. but even then someone will find something to complain about im sure.

JLynn943
10-01-2013, 05:46 PM
I understand why the system is how it is, it's just frustrating getting stuck voting for players at a higher spot than you think they actually are. I haven't gotten to the point where I would vote for any SG yet, but when I do, I'll be voting for a player who I think isn't as good as others in the league who I won't be able to vote for yet.

I'm not advocating that it change though. This is a PSD list, not my list.

tredigs
10-01-2013, 05:55 PM
^some one could argue that player A is better at playing a traditional PG role, but that player B who also plays PG is is a better overall player (but with lesser traditional PG skills). thats not necessarily my opinion, but its interesting.

whatever. you either stand pat or you get sick of defending your system thread in thread out, year in and year out and just add more options. i'm personally more annoyed with the threads getting de-railed with this endless debate more than anything else. id rather just shut everybody up and discuss basketball. i'd trade that for 'voter consistency' honestly. Marc Gasol didn't even make the defensive first team this year, and he was our DPOY. Noah and Chandler got the defensive first team nod in front of them. if they don't care about the lack of consistency...

Fair point, but they weren't the same voting committee. One is the media, the other is coaches.

And trust me, people would still whine.

Bruno
10-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Fair point, but they weren't the same voting committee. One is the media, the other is coaches.

And trust me, people would still whine.

you're probably right. i dont really take issue with our system im just sick of the complaining. it derails what should be good basketball discussion thread in and thread out, year in and year out.

JLynn943
10-01-2013, 06:06 PM
I hate seeing Harden get votes over everyone else in this list. Even if you don't care that he doesn't play defense, you have another option in Melo who's at least on par with him defensively and better offensively. Same thing with Love and Parker. Then you have an all-around great player in Duncan. I went with Duncan, but I understand an argument for everyone other than Harden.

Allphakenny1
10-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Parker was the best player on the Spurs this year and almost led them to a championship. Wasn't he an MVP candidate for most of the year this year? He's got my vote.

tredigs
10-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Parker was the best player on the Spurs this year and almost led them to a championship. Wasn't he an MVP candidate for most of the year this year? He's got my vote.

Offensively, but Duncan was by far the most impactful overall. Voting wise, they went 6/7 and each had two 2nd place votes.

Durant is hype
10-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Kevin Love in a normal year(2012),but James Harden just because of the beard.

Guppyfighter
10-02-2013, 06:58 AM
Melo is in this but not Dwight?

What.

krrys11
10-02-2013, 08:33 AM
I was offended by the fact that Love is in there and Kobe is not...and then I read the rules.

So I went with Harden. He did have a better season than Kobe even tho I think Kobe is better overall player (call me homer if you want)

D-Leethal
10-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Melo is in this but not Dwight?

What.

They are going by the position ranks. The top 2 SFs are off the board so Melo is left. Duncan was ranked over Dwight at C so Duncan needs to get selected before Dwight gets on the board.

I Rock Shaqs
10-02-2013, 09:16 AM
I don't understand why you would do the voting like this like it doesn't make any sense why not just put at least 2 of the same position up there at the same time. It's like you're just abusing your power and shoving it in everybody's face that I'm doing it how I want because I can.

D-Leethal
10-02-2013, 09:43 AM
I don't understand why you would do the voting like this like it doesn't make any sense why not just put at least 2 of the same position up there at the same time. It's like you're just abusing your power and shoving it in everybody's face that I'm doing it how I want because I can.

The whole offseason ranking process needs an overhaul.

NYKnickFanatic
10-02-2013, 09:58 AM
i don't understand why you would do the voting like this like it doesn't make any sense why not just put at least 2 of the same position up there at the same time. it's like you're just abusing your power and shoving it in everybody's face that i'm doing it how i want because i can.

ding ding ding!!!

Oefarmy2005
10-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Where is Rose, Westbrook? They have to be in there if you have Love who played 18 games last year and played like crap.

NYKnickFanatic
10-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Where is Rose, Westbrook? They have to be in there if you have Love who played 18 games last year and played like crap.

The way he is doing it, is quite silly, but people should really read the OPs post.

In terms of adding players to the poll, it will be done like this.

As soon as Chris Paul goes off the board, I will add other PG's.
As soon as James Harden goes off the board, I will add other SG's
As soon as Kevin Love goes off the board, I will add other PF's.

And so on and so on..

This is to ensure that players that won their respective positions get a higher place in the list. One of the goals of these polls is to maintain some continuity between the polls we completed to the final player poll we are currently voting.

nycericanguy
10-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Harden has been put above guys like Melo, Wade & Kobe wayyyy too prematurely.

He had a great year, but he needs to shoot better than 43%, or lead a team to more than 45 wins before you start putting him above great established players.

The rankings definitely seem more scewed this year, especially with the whole Bosh at C thing.

I voted Melo, but even as a Knick fan he's not the #4 player in the league. I'd put Kobe, Wade above him at least.

Also why was it closed so soon? A dead heat between Melo, Duncan & Harden, and it gets closed as soon as Duncan takes the lead after less than 50 total votes?...

NYKnickFanatic
10-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Harden has been put above guys like Melo, Wade & Kobe wayyyy too prematurely.

He had a great year, but he needs to shoot better than 43%, or lead a team to more than 45 wins before you start putting him above great established players.

The rankings definitely seem more scewed this year, especially with the whole Bosh at C thing.

I voted Melo, but even as a Knick fan he's not the #4 player in the league. I'd put Kobe, Wade above him at least.

Also why was it closed so soon? A dead heat between Melo, Duncan & Harden, and it gets closed as soon as Duncan takes the lead after less than 50 total votes?...

OP sets the date to when it should be closed when creating the post. It was scheduled to close today at 10:24am, I believe.

The_Jamal
10-02-2013, 11:47 AM
MHC has been doing this poll for 6 years and we still have people who don't wtf is going on.

Anyway, going Duncan here. Best impact player on both ends

xxplayerxx23
10-02-2013, 11:56 AM
You don't like the rules don't vote

Kashmir13579
10-02-2013, 12:31 PM
The whole offseason ranking process needs an overhaul.

Agreed. Its just been awful this year.

Kashmir13579
10-02-2013, 12:32 PM
MHC has been doing this poll for 6 years and we still have people who don't wtf is going on.

Anyway, going Duncan here. Best impact player on both ends

The rules changed starting last year i believe, so its not as if its been consistent for 6 years.

SteBO
10-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Agreed about Duncan going here......the fact he's so impactful on both ends of the floor at his advanced age is amazing.

BtW, I know some of you guys just like to ***** for sake of it in regards to the rules, but I'd much rather have it this way as opposed to seeing the same inconsistencies these polls showed before the 2010-2011 offseason as well as the ridiculous homer voting.

Shammyguy3
10-02-2013, 04:20 PM
I hate seeing Harden get votes over everyone else in this list. Even if you don't care that he doesn't play defense, you have another option in Melo who's at least on par with him defensively and better offensively. Same thing with Love and Parker. Then you have an all-around great player in Duncan. I went with Duncan, but I understand an argument for everyone other than Harden.

How is melo better offensively compared to Harden? :eyebrow:

Iggz53
10-02-2013, 08:05 PM
I probably would've voted for Harden here but oh well. Duncan is a solid choice too.