PDA

View Full Version : How Many Rings Would Shaq Have If He Played On The Celtics in Place Of Russell?

amos1er
09-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Well, how many? I would say at least 15. Shaq had at least 15 seasons of play where he could have easily won with those great Celtic teams in that era.

copper!
09-30-2013, 07:31 PM
dumb thread

setman2000
09-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Who Cares?!

amos1er
09-30-2013, 08:06 PM
dumb thread

You joined this site just to say that. Lol.

amos1er
09-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Who Cares?!

I do obviously.

copper!
09-30-2013, 08:15 PM
You joined this site just to say that. Lol.

i doubt anybody here watched games back during russell's era. maybe you're a guy who judges purely off stats, but even then it is hard to compare and contrast the two eras. dumb thread,...

amos1er
09-30-2013, 08:20 PM
i doubt anybody here watched games back during russell's era. maybe you're a guy who judges purely off stats, but even then it is hard to compare and contrast the two eras. dumb thread,...

Dumb comment.

Chronz
09-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Nobody wins all 15. Would he even be the same physically gifted monster in an era devoid of all modern advances?

Some random thoughts:

That 67 Philly team would still win.
Russ did turn them into the best defensive teams ever and filled in as a coach. Does Shaq like coaching?
Shaq wouldn't be allowed to bulldoze people in those days either, at the same time, there is no reason he couldn't be an improvement on Wilt I suppose. Would he be more selfish in an that NBA or does he retain his passing instincts? Wilt laid down the landscape for how bigmen should be used and it took alot of luck/time for him to get proper coaching, I suppose Red keeps Shaq in check.

amos1er
09-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Nobody wins all 15. Would he even be the same physically gifted monster in an era devoid of all modern advances?

Some random thoughts:

That 67 Philly team would still win.
Russ did turn them into the best defensive teams ever and filled in as a coach. Does Shaq like coaching?
Shaq wouldn't be allowed to bulldoze people in those days either, at the same time, there is no reason he couldn't be an improvement on Wilt I suppose. Would he be more selfish in an that NBA or does he retain his passing instincts? Wilt laid down the landscape for how bigmen should be used and it took alot of luck/time for him to get proper coaching, I suppose Red keeps Shaq in check.

So how many would you say then? More or less than Russell?

PowerHouse
09-30-2013, 08:58 PM
You can put in not only Shaq but anybody in the league's history who was an above average center and get the same results Russell did as long as that center is willing to put ego and # of shot attempts aside for one common goal, winning. Those Celtic teams were loaded with star talent all up and down the roster and everybody knew their role and executed it to a perfect tee. We wont ever see a dynasty like that again.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2013, 09:00 PM
wait, are we magically sending advanced training athletes back in time? In that case, more than Russell if you send back Shaq, Jordan, or LeBron. If we factor in that those same athletes grow up in that time period with the same training, development, and nutrition, meh, they enjoy no more success.

KnicksorBust
09-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Shaq barely took the time to stay at his physical peak in the modern era. He would have REALLY let himself go back in the 60s. Fatass Shaq wins 7 rings.

Cal827
09-30-2013, 09:19 PM
More than Kobe Bryant :D

bagwell368
09-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Well, how many? I would say at least 15. Shaq had at least 15 seasons of play where he could have easily won with those great Celtic teams in that era.

Celts didn't have the horses until Russell and Heinsohn came in, and Ramsey returned from service. After '69 all they had was Havlicek, Nelson, Chaney, White (rookie), Howell (very old), that was a pretty thin team.

Also Shaq had 13 prime years, after '05-'06 he was crap (excepting '08-'09).

Answer: 11 max

I think Shaq can go off the rails. I think TD, Hakeem & KG are safer bets. Malone if his weight is under control is another. Robinson perhaps if he can debut a couple of years earlier.

slaker619
09-30-2013, 09:38 PM
He was nice, but not that nice

B'sCeltsPatsSox
09-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Russell didn't even play 15 seasons...

Dade County
09-30-2013, 11:41 PM
17 rings

Sandman
09-30-2013, 11:43 PM
he would have battled plantar faciitis his entire career due to a lack of good nikes

b@llhog24
09-30-2013, 11:45 PM
Less. Simply due to health.

b@llhog24
09-30-2013, 11:46 PM
he would have battled plantar faciitis his entire career due to a lack of good nikes

Lol it's funny cause it's true.

FlashBolt
10-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Honestly, David Rob, Hakeem, Shaq, and Duncan would win 10+ rings.. Those teams were stacked. When you can player coach and win titles, it just goes to show what kind of team you really have. EX: Take Pop out of the SAS and have Duncan as a player coach. How far do you think they go?

amos1er
10-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Honestly, David Rob, Hakeem, Shaq, and Duncan would win 10+ rings.. Those teams were stacked. When you can player coach and win titles, it just goes to show what kind of team you really have. EX: Take Pop out of the SAS and have Duncan as a player coach. How far do you think they go?

That's pretty much how I feel.

Chronz
10-01-2013, 03:50 AM

I dont see your point. Its not as if Russ didn't have help coaching either.

bagwell368
10-01-2013, 12:51 PM
When you can player coach and win titles, it just goes to show what kind of team you really have. EX: Take Pop out of the SAS and have Duncan as a player coach. How far do you think they go?

It wasn't that cut and dried.

The 1966-69 Celtics were the weakest period of Russell's Celts years in terms of talent - easily. It's possible, but not likely that the 1966-67 Celts could have stopped the 1966-67 76'ers if Red coached, but still unlikely. Bill/John clearly had some things to learn. But then the next two years they won with the worst two Celt teams in Bill's time vs the league (no depth, aging)

Russell coached the D, and Havlicek the O during the games. All the plays/methods were in place. Red supplied all the scouting input, and was a constant sounding board/presence. How far off the rails do you think Bill and John went?

TheMightyHumph
10-01-2013, 01:16 PM
1 ring, at the end of his career when he latched on as Wilt's backup center.

Hangtime
10-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Considering the pace of that era Shaq probably would have a harder time maintaining his health. If he picks up considerable weight how does he fit with the run and gun Celtics if he doesn't devote the necessary work ethic and dedication on a yearly basis? How does the outspoken Shaq react in the turbulent 60's as a rising star? How do the refs treat Shaq down low? I don't see much of a difference with Shaq and Wilt. They are virtually the same freaks of nature in a time people treated them so differently. Shaq would probably have an even bigger ego than Wilt back then.

Robinson, Hakeem, and even Mourning are far better options on that Celtic team.

Missing56&33
10-02-2013, 11:49 AM
How Many Rings Would Shaq Have If He Played On The Celtics in Place Of Russell?

First of all, Shaq is not in the same stratosphere with Bill Russell, lets get that straight right now.

I think people don't realize how GREAT Bill Russell was...not taking anything away from Shaq...he was a dominate big man and put up good numbers, won championships but IMO he's behind Kareem, Russell, Wilt......even Robert Parish in all time top centers.

Respect the Lakers and what they've done BUT....if you look at the Championships with Shaq...they beat a Portland team that had a meltdown in the final period, that was clearly better than them then they go on to beat Indy in the finals

They beat, a weak Philly team and weak NJ team ...then Shaq gets traded to Miami the.beat Dallas...a Dallas team that was better than them.

Bill Russell was the reason the Celtics won all those championships in the 60's...he was more than just a player, he was a coach on the floor, he was clutch and he was a TEAM player.

If Shaq was on the Celtics teams in.place of BR they probably wouldn't have 0 championships.

JordansBulls
10-10-2013, 12:24 AM

Which Shaq would be here? Would he really be that motivated after 4 rings or so?