PDA

View Full Version : Drake named global ambassador for Toronto Raptors, will lead team rebranding effort

spreadeagle
09-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Good idea? bad idea?
The team announced that the rapper will serve as their Global Ambassador during their official press conference for the 2016 NBA All-Star Game. He will also launch a clothing line associated with the team and will oversee a redesign of the franchise’s brand. There will be new colours and a new logo, but they won’t be changing their name to anything like the Toronto Huskies.

This partnership will be similar to the one between Jay-Z and the Brooklyn Nets when they moved to Brooklyn from New Jersey. The Nets were a boring franchise, and really an afterthought in the NBA (sort of like the present-day Raptors) before their move to the New York area. Jay-Z completely helped re-design their brand, which looks night-and-day compared to what they had before, and the Raptors hope that Drake can accomplish the same feat in Toronto.
http://o.canada.com/entertainment/music/drake-becomes-the-face-of-the-toronto-raptors/

lajoie
09-30-2013, 06:58 PM
So when the Raptors suck, will Drake jump back onto the Heat bandwagon?

Cal827
09-30-2013, 07:04 PM
As a fellow Raptor fan... you have to understand, there are some things we shouldn't leave in the NBA forum to feed the population.

Might as well say it again, in a year, the phrase will likely be.

"Started from the Bottom...

We're still there!" :facepalm:

Sly Guy
09-30-2013, 07:10 PM
As a fellow Raptor fan... you have to understand, there are some things we shouldn't leave in the NBA forum to feed the population.

We're still there!" :facepalm:

lol, that is pretty sig worthy

TheNumber37
09-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Stupid. Of all the people of Canada, Drake a rapper whose career will be over in a few short years is your ambassador? Just wait til Nash retires and go there.

SugeKnight
09-30-2013, 08:04 PM

We're still here!" :facepalm:

Fixed

Hulk6
09-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Stupid. Of all the people of Canada, Drake a rapper whose career will be over in a few short years is your ambassador? Just wait til Nash retires and go there.

you clearly dont know anything about drake and the city of toronto, he is LOVED here and everyone is excited about this project.

hugepatsfan
09-30-2013, 08:40 PM
So I guess the Raptors are going to be one of the softest teams in the NBA for a while.

hugepatsfan
09-30-2013, 08:42 PM

I don't see how anyone could conclude Drake's career will be over in a couple of years. Hate to break it to you, but your personal tastes aren't shared by everyone. Drake is beloved and whether you like him or not, he's a great talent. Personally I think he's average at best but he undoubtedly has a style that many enjoy. *****es love him and that makes guys look up to him (those guys are stupid IMO but there are a lot of stupid people). He's going to be around for a while.

dtmagnet
09-30-2013, 08:52 PM
So I guess the Raptors are going to be one of the softest teams in the NBA for a while.

I don't get how you made this conclusion. With Valanciunas and Hansbrough in the big rotation I don't think they're very soft.

hugepatsfan
09-30-2013, 09:33 PM
I don't get how you made this conclusion. With Valanciunas and Hansbrough in the big rotation I don't think they're very soft.

It was a joke... Drake is one of the softest rappers I've ever heard.

Tony_Starks
09-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Good look for the Raptors. Not sure if Drizzy can pull off for them what Jay did for the Nets but its very possible.

Plus his music enables me to pull bad chicks of various races so in my book the guy can do NO wrong!

spreadeagle
09-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Good look for the Raptors. Not sure if Drizzy can pull off for them what Jay did for the Nets but its very possible.

Plus his music enables me to pull bad chicks of various races so in my book the guy can do NO wrong! hahaha panty droppin music

Sly Guy
09-30-2013, 11:04 PM

the beibs will pick up on that fumble and run it for a touchdown.

Tony_Starks
09-30-2013, 11:20 PM
hahaha panty droppin music

Lol! You know it!!!

John Walls Era
10-01-2013, 01:41 AM
At least they got the AS game.

10-01-2013, 03:30 AM
It was a joke... Drake is one of the softest rappers I've ever heard.

hold on... since when did rappers haneve to be hard.. or has hip hop really turned away from being about the music and gone all 'superificial' again :facepalm:

rex.reyesiii
10-01-2013, 03:52 AM
If they really mean/t "Global" then Beiber is the better choice. :)
People here(Phils/Asia) hardly know who Drake is compared to Beiber and/or Beyonce and her husband.

todu82
10-01-2013, 09:54 AM
He's a very talented rapper and he seemed really upbeat about this. That said they're doing the right things off the court let's see if they can get back to doing the right things on the court and can become a good team again.

Rockice_8
10-01-2013, 10:21 AM
It's a good idea I guess. These young athletes need something to cling (image wise) to so a guy as popular as Drake (even though I think his songs suck) is something that can't hurt. Jay-Z did wonders for the Nets as a figure head, not that Drake can hold Jigga's jock strap (and TOR isn't NY) but it's the same idea. Got to appeal to the young black athlete I guess. As nice as TOR is as a city (and it is, even if Montreal is cooler) most athletes don't find Canada appealing it seems. It can't hurt is basically I guess what I'm getting at, it can only help, how much remains to be seen.

cdnsportsfan
10-01-2013, 11:44 AM
The Raps have issues on the court and off the court - it's not just their level of play but the way people and players view the franchise as a whole. Toronto is a great city but basketball mecca it is not! The way I see it they wanted to fix both issues this offseason, or at least get on the way to fixing them, however when trying to solve a lot of their problems with the bad contracts left by Colangelo they found Ujiri couldn't move them (just a bit too awful). So if things aren't working as planned on the court, turn to the stuff off the court.

We'll see if this works or not, many are shooting it down already but I like that they're taking an initiative to do something right now!