PDA

View Full Version : Greg Monroe unlikely to sign an extension with DeT.

Stunner
09-30-2013, 06:45 PM
http://hoopshype.com

I wonder where he would go , I think he's better than Boozer and could end up better than Aldridge . If the Bulls could move Boozer , I would trade Deng and a pick for Monroe.

Gators123
09-30-2013, 06:50 PM
The Pistons and Monroes agent agreed they would wait until next year. Not a big deal.

spreadeagle
09-30-2013, 06:53 PM
The Pistons and Monroes agent agreed they would wait until next year. Not a big deal.
Normally agree, maybe he doesn't want to be fighting for PT with Drummond and Smith, im sure teams will pitch him to come be the"franchise guy"

Gators123
09-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Normally agree, maybe he doesn't want to be fighting for PT with Drummond and Smith, im sure teams will pitch him to come be the"franchise guy"

We've known this since March though-

But Monroe’s agent, David Falk, told the Detroit Free Press there are no plans to talk extension, it will get sorted out in the summer of 2014 when Monroe is a restricted free agent.

“Greg isn’t gonna go backwards between his third and fourth year,” Falk said. “I don’t think I’ve ever done an extension after a third year. In the 90′s you maxed out a guy after his second, but the (CBA) rules are different now.”
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/01/greg-monroe-not-expecting-pistons-contract-extension-thinking-2014-free-agency/

IndyRealist
09-30-2013, 07:56 PM
They're locked into smith and drummond is hands down a better prospect. Better for everyone involved if monroe gets traded for a legit SF instead of having Smith chucking 20fters.

goalie
09-30-2013, 08:13 PM
All 3 will start and play big minutes. No conflict here, other than the one people are trying to create so they can talk about it on here.

RipCity32
09-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Pistons won't let him go anywhere. Unless we completely suck then we might look to trade him for a SF.

hugepatsfan
09-30-2013, 08:28 PM
All 3 will start and play big minutes. No conflict here, other than the one people are trying to create so they can talk about it on here.

Of course the plan is for that to happen but what if the 3 of them aren't effective on the court together? There's obviously the minutes available for all 3 of Smith plays SF but there are definitely legitimate questions as to whether or not that would work.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2013, 09:36 PM
before I even entertain the idea of him leaving big money in Detroit, I have to see how they use the Smooth/Greg/Drummond frontcourt.

But the writing is on the wall. You don't pay a **** ton of money for the same position.

RipCity32
09-30-2013, 10:15 PM
before I even entertain the idea of him leaving big money in Detroit, I have to see how they use the Smooth/Greg/Drummond frontcourt.

But the writing is on the wall. You don't pay a **** ton of money for the same position.

Smiths Contract will end right as Drummond is ready to sign his. So really Monroe and Smith would be our only big deals. Hopefully Monroe doesn't get no Cousins type of offers though that would put us in a tight spot.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Smiths Contract will end right as Drummond is ready to sign his. So really Monroe and Smith would be our only big deals. Hopefully Monroe doesn't get no Cousins type of offers though that would put us in a tight spot.

Its the minutes that I worry about for each. Monroe may very well want his own starting position handed to him, long term, which another team will offer the second he hits the market.

I don't see how spending the money for Smith/Monroe/Drummond up front will work.

RipCity32
09-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Its the minutes that I worry about for each. Monroe may very well want his own starting position handed to him, long term, which another team will offer the second he hits the market.

I don't see how spending the money for Smith/Monroe/Drummond up front will work.

There's a good chance the three won't play good together at all. I would hope in that case we could trade Smith instead of Moose but who knows. It could be a great 3 man rotation though as soon as the first substitution happens. We should have a constant force at the 4/5 throughout a game.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2013, 10:28 PM
There's a good chance the three won't play good together at all. I would hope in that case we could trade Smith instead of Moose but who knows. It could be a great 3 man rotation though as soon as the first substitution happens. We should have a constant force at the 4/5 throughout a game.

The cost is what you are looking at. Under the new CBA, you can't pay your 3 man frontline $40+ million a year. And quite frankly, that is what that talent will demand.

Ill21
09-30-2013, 11:01 PM
That would suck if he walks and they get nothing for him

soundjunkies2
09-30-2013, 11:34 PM
If a team offers him the max or close to it next summer I have a hard time believing Detroit will match.

RipCity32
09-30-2013, 11:40 PM
We would at the very least pull off a sign and trade. I really wish Dumars could lock him in now at around 10-12 per year. Waiting around to free agency like his agent wants to is just going to cause some team to throw some ridiculous contract at him. Then force us into some crappy sign and trade.

b@llhog24
09-30-2013, 11:48 PM
They're locked into smith and drummond is hands down a better prospect. Better for everyone involved if monroe gets traded for a legit SF instead of having Smith chucking 20fters.

That'll happen regardless.

b@llhog24
09-30-2013, 11:49 PM

Well...

goalie
10-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Of course the plan is for that to happen but what if the 3 of them aren't effective on the court together? There's obviously the minutes available for all 3 of Smith plays SF but there are definitely legitimate questions as to whether or not that would work.

Those questions only exist for people praying this fails and they can get one of these players on their own team. They targeted Smith specifically to play with their monster frontcourt.

This is a great young team on the rise and they are ready to compete in the East now. Smith was the best answer they could find at the wing for Lebron, George, Deng and whatever else their Eastern competitors have there.

You don't build that frontcourt to tear it down. This is a huge nonstory, only makes sense to those without any.

Anyone that doesn't think that frontcourt can coexist doesn't have a clue as to the skill set each of them has. Monroe is most effective in a high post offense. Not even sure people know what that means anymore. That's not the block, or posting up on the block, that's the "high post"

John Walls Era
10-01-2013, 12:50 AM
Sell high. Josh Smith is better at the 4 anyways.

hugepatsfan
10-01-2013, 01:33 AM
Those questions only exist for people praying this fails and they can get one of these players on their own team. They targeted Smith specifically to play with their monster frontcourt.

This is a great young team on the rise and they are ready to compete in the East now. Smith was the best answer they could find at the wing for Lebron, George, Deng and whatever else their Eastern competitors have there.

You don't build that frontcourt to tear it down. This is a huge nonstory, only makes sense to those without any.

Anyone that doesn't think that frontcourt can coexist doesn't have a clue as to the skill set each of them has. Monroe is most effective in a high post offense. Not even sure people know what that means anymore. That's not the block, or posting up on the block, that's the "high post"

Of course DET had a plan in signing Smith. Every team has a plan. Doesn't mean it's going to be successful. Smith is a terrible outside shooter. You can deal with that at the 3, but it's not ideal. Drummond doesn't have any game outside the paint himself. Monroe isn't a great mid range guy himself. I think it has the potential to work because Smith and Monroe are good passers which can help make up for a lack of outside shooting but their front court is far from a slam dunk to work.

bagwell368
10-01-2013, 07:54 AM
If a team offers him the max or close to it next summer I have a hard time believing Detroit will match.

Which is why you trade him this year.

Once you find out the 3 don't work that well on the floor AND Rondo is good to go, they make a deal of Monroe, two bad contracts (one would be a PG), and 2 #1's ('15 and '17 - bottom 6 protected) for Rondo, Green, and 2 #2's ('14 and '16 - that '14 2nd could be nearly a 1st in a strong draft - for cheap dollars).

Celts get worse in '14 to help that #1 pick. They have Monroe as the center piece going forward if he signs, and if he walks, they get better picks the next couple of years, plus they have 1's anyhow.

Pistons have a more balanced team, that's got a better shot at a title with Green and Rondo than the defensively meh Monroe. Rondo would probably add 4 PPG to Drummonds game, and Rondo and Smith are pals and should fit well also.

JNA17
10-01-2013, 07:57 AM
2014 looking even sexier for my Lakers.

2-ONE-5
10-01-2013, 10:07 AM
he coming to Philly!

expect us to offer a max if we dont draft a PF

Gators123
10-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Which is why you trade him this year.

Once you find out the 3 don't work that well on the floor AND Rondo is good to go, they make a deal of Monroe, two bad contracts (one would be a PG), and 2 #1's ('15 and '17 - bottom 6 protected) for Rondo, Green, and 2 #2's ('14 and '16 - that '14 2nd could be nearly a 1st in a strong draft - for cheap dollars).

Celts get worse in '14 to help that #1 pick. They have Monroe as the center piece going forward if he signs, and if he walks, they get better picks the next couple of years, plus they have 1's anyhow.

Pistons have a more balanced team, that's got a better shot at a title with Green and Rondo than the defensively meh Monroe. Rondo would probably add 4 PPG to Drummonds game, and Rondo and Smith are pals and should fit well also.

I don't think the plan was to ever play them big minutes together on the floor anyways. Smith will get minutes at backup PF, Monroe will get minutes at backup C and Drummond will still get his 30 MPG.

Deception
10-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Lol at anyone thinking Detroit will just let him walk. We're either going to trade him, or match any contract. There's no way we let him go for nothing.

jstone0716
10-01-2013, 11:20 AM
I hope they end up resigning him. I really think they got a championship formula in Drummond/Monroe... They need better guards but 3-5 is seriously talented. I'm thinking if Jennings can mature this season they could really make some noise come playoff time.

cdnsportsfan
10-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Would love to see Monroe come to the Raps - the Pistons were looking at Gay earlier in the offseason, maybe they can somehow swing a deal again? This could solve Detroit's issue at the 3 and 4 positions, and while it would give the Raps one too many bigs it would also provide a bright future that could be further enhanced through trading one of said bigs for another piece. Also might help the Raps tank a little more in a strong draft year. Everyone wins! :clap:

Hellcrooner
10-01-2013, 11:46 AM
they should work out a trade for Danny Granger.

as for the rest, he is restricted so if Detroit does not want he wont o anywhere.

Blink
10-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Yeah we could really match any offer. Hopefully we stay away from the type of money Cousins got.

If GS could move David Lee Id love to trade him for Harrison Barnes.

But let's see how this team looks before me move what could be a huge piece to our team

Sadds The Gr8
10-02-2013, 01:17 AM
Trade him for a 3. I think Monroe for Batum type deal is fair.

EL_MACHETE
10-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Would bad *** if Okc got Monroe to play alongside with Ibaka

Maybe do a sign and trade for Steven Adams, Kendrick Perkins, and two 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder
:D
I doubt it would happen tho.. It would be awesome tho

sammyvine
10-02-2013, 10:25 AM
is monroe a max player lmao?

RipCity32
10-02-2013, 12:50 PM
is monroe a max player lmao?

No but someone might be dumb enough to offer it to him and screw us over.

mdm692
10-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Let's work out a 3 team deal OKC and DET.

Gortat goes to OKC
Monroe to PHX
Picks and young players to DET.

EL_MACHETE
10-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Let's work out a 3 team deal OKC and DET.

Gortat goes to OKC
Monroe to PHX
Picks and young players to DET.

Sounds good to me

EL_MACHETE
10-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Detroit gets Shannon Brown, Kendall Marshall, Mavs 1st, Suns 1st, and the rights to Alex Abrines(amazing shooter)

mdm692
10-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Here's my idea.

Phx trades-Marshall, Brown, Gortat, LA's 2015 pick, Minnys 2014 pick

Phx Gets-Perkins, Monroe

OKC trades-PJIII, Perkins, Mavs pick, Thabeet or Orton, fillers

OKC gets-Gortat

Det trades-Greg Monroe, fillers

Det gets-Marshall, Brown, PJIII, Thabeet, LA's 2015, Minnys 2014, Mavs.

Not complete yet of course but those would be the main pieces.

PhillyFaninLA
10-03-2013, 08:08 AM
How about Thad and Evan Turner for Monroe

I Rock Shaqs
10-03-2013, 09:40 AM
If the Raptors could get him I would cry.

2-ONE-5
10-03-2013, 10:02 AM
How about Thad and Evan Turner for Monroe

rather just make a big offer while has an RFA anbd use those 2 in other deals.

Shammyguy3
10-03-2013, 12:04 PM

That's interesting Sadds. If Portland goes this route then I think they have to deal Aldridge.
Lillard and Monroe both turned 23 this past summer, but Aldridge turned 28. That 5 year difference coupled with Lillard/LMA/Monroe not being a legitimate contending core would lead me to trading Aldridge for a younger small forward ---- I propose this:

DET ---> Monroe
DET <--- Batum

POR ---> Batum, Aldridge, picks
POR <--- Parsons, Monroe, Asik

HOU ---> Parsons, Asik
HOU <--- Aldridge

a monster trade that makes sense for all three teams
DET: Jennings - Stuckey - Batum - Smith - Drummond
POR: Lillard - Matthews - Parsons - Monroe - Asik
HOU: Lin - Harden - Delfino - Aldridge - Howard

Would be quite the shakeup for three teams in different parts of the building process

RipCity32
10-03-2013, 12:11 PM
If we were to trade him then Batum would be a pretty fair deal.

GiantsSwaGG
10-03-2013, 12:23 PM
He won't be a piston next season

IversonIsKrazy
10-04-2013, 12:55 AM
I know they'll wait until next year, but I don't think theres enough room with Drumond/Monroe/Smith

Deception
10-04-2013, 04:19 AM
Here's my idea.

Phx trades-Marshall, Brown, Gortat, LA's 2015 pick, Minnys 2014 pick

Phx Gets-Perkins, Monroe

OKC trades-PJIII, Perkins, Mavs pick, Thabeet or Orton, fillers

OKC gets-Gortat

Det trades-Greg Monroe, fillers

Det gets-Marshall, Brown, PJIII, Thabeet, LA's 2015, Minnys 2014, Mavs.

Not complete yet of course but those would be the main pieces.

These are such garbage ideas. Why would the Pistons want a bunch of a failed draft pick and a few role players.

jstone0716
10-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Derrick Favors or Greg Monroe?

IndyRealist
10-04-2013, 09:37 AM
These are such garbage ideas. Why would the Pistons want a bunch of a failed draft pick and a few role players.

I went the exact opposite direction. Why would anyone think Monroe is worth 3 firsts and 2 players still on their rookie deals?

Gators123
10-04-2013, 09:47 AM
I went the exact opposite direction. Why would anyone think Monroe is worth 2 firsts and 2 players still on their rookie deals? Of course, the next deal someone proposed had 3 picks....

Monroe is a 23 year old PF/C that averaged 16 PPG, 10 RPG, 4 APG last season. He has pretty good trade value. Hes not going to be traded for a few bench players and a couple mid to late future 1st rounders.

IndyRealist
10-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Monroe is a 23 year old PF/C that averaged 16 PPG, 10 RPG, 4 APG last season. He has pretty good trade value. Hes not going to be traded for a few bench players and a couple mid to late future 1st rounders.

Monroe significantly regressed last year versus his first two. He's shown less ability to play PF, which is where he's going to have to play, because Andre Drummond is BETTER than him, by a wide margin.

They've paid Josh Smith, they paid Brandon Jennings, and they're likely going to pay Andre Drummond. That doesn't leave a whole lot of money for Monroe.

The Dallas and Minnesota picks could be lottery picks. Marshall's only been in the league a year with a coach that wouldn't give him playing time. Perry Jones also didn't a whole lot of playing time, and when he did he showed ability. That would be a HAUL for a single player they're unlikely to resign anyway.

Monroe's very close to crossing into the "overrated" territory, judging by this thread.

N3TS
10-04-2013, 12:06 PM

I don't think it's a stretch possibility if he does get a max offer next off-season, just look at the offers that Hibbert, and Batum got as RFA's.

N3TS
10-04-2013, 12:11 PM

I agree, since there were rumors over the summer that the Pistons tried to get a SF and targeted Rudy Gay. So I could see that as an ideal solution especially if LaMarcus Aldridge get's dealt this season.

RipCity32
10-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Monroe significantly regressed last year versus his first two. He's shown less ability to play PF, which is where he's going to have to play, because Andre Drummond is BETTER than him, by a wide margin.

They've paid Josh Smith, they paid Brandon Jennings, and they're likely going to pay Andre Drummond. That doesn't leave a whole lot of money for Monroe.

The Dallas and Minnesota picks could be lottery picks. Marshall's only been in the league a year with a coach that wouldn't give him playing time. Perry Jones also didn't a whole lot of playing time, and when he did he showed ability. That would be a HAUL for a single player they're unlikely to resign anyway.

Monroe's very close to crossing into the "overrated" territory, judging by this thread.

Call it what you want but thats still a garbage trade full of scrubs.

Gators123
10-04-2013, 01:09 PM

His efficiency went down because he was our #1 option (compared to 5th option in his 1st season and 3rd option in 2nd season). I don't think he regressed significantly at all.

And I'm not sure what you're talking about him showing less ability to play PF, because thats not true at all. He didn't play much PF besides the last 10 games of the season when he started there with Drummond at Center. He averaged 18 PPG, 10 RPG, 4 APG on over 52% FG% compaired to 16 PPG, 10 RPG, 3 APG on 48% FG% at Center. And he played better defense at PF.

How are we unlikely to resign him? Hes a restricted FA, and once again, he never said he wasn't signing an extension, his agent and Dumars agreed they would wait until next summer to discuss it. His agent said he almost never discusses extensions after 3 seasons.

The only way he won't be back is if those 3 don't mesh.

2-ONE-5
10-04-2013, 01:41 PM

this is one incredbily uninformed post. Paul Geroge's efficiency went down last year from the year before too after becoming the #1 option, coincidence? The poster aboive me nailed the rest.

that said i dont beleive Smith will be good enough at the 3 and they will be forced to part ways with Monroe by not matching an offer hopefully from my Sixers or they deal him

jstone0716
10-04-2013, 03:07 PM
I think Rondo would be a good fit in Detroit. Maybe Monroe + Jennings to Boston for Rondo + Lee + Bass. Think that would be a solid trade.

Deception
10-04-2013, 03:49 PM
I think Rondo would be a good fit in Detroit. Maybe Monroe + Jennings to Boston for Rondo + Lee + Bass. Think that would be a solid trade.

The Rondo to Detroit scenario is done with, because if Jennings does flourish in Detroit, why would we trade him to Boston? And if he doesn't do well, why would Boston trade for him?

jstone0716
10-04-2013, 04:08 PM
The Rondo to Detroit scenario is done with, because if Jennings does flourish in Detroit, why would we trade him to Boston? And if he doesn't do well, why would Boston trade for him?

To get Monroe?

Just think it would be a good fit if they could somehow figure out a way to get Rondo. Maybe Jennings matures but I just don't see it, plus he's too small and will never really be much of a defender.

Deception
10-04-2013, 11:31 PM
To get Monroe?

Just think it would be a good fit if they could somehow figure out a way to get Rondo. Maybe Jennings matures but I just don't see it, plus he's too small and will never really be much of a defender.

Jennings and Rondo are the same height... :facepalm:

Raps18-19 Champ
10-04-2013, 11:37 PM
He's a RFA anyways.