PDA

View Full Version : Amare had surgery ..... Again in July .

Stunner
09-29-2013, 07:32 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/9/29/4784598/amare-stoudemire-injury-knicks-knee-surgery

More-Than-Most
09-29-2013, 07:55 PM
the gift that keeps giving.

IndyRealist
09-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Can't catch a break, can he? I feel bad for the guy.

EnWhyKay
09-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Sad sad...

Ill21
09-29-2013, 09:16 PM
I feel bad for him but it's just a complete joke at this point.

The worst contract in the NBA

Matrix3132
09-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Can't catch a break, can he? I feel bad for the guy.

Feel bad for him? He was able to get a team to pay him a $100 million uninsured contract AFTER his old team, a team with the best training/medical staff in the league, said his knees were already shot. He's been playing on borrowed time for a while.

kingsdelez24
09-30-2013, 01:04 AM
This guy is like the next Larry Johnson...

TrueFan420
09-30-2013, 01:07 AM
The Knicks were dumb for not amnestying him while they had the chance.

xxplayerxx23
09-30-2013, 06:08 AM
Sucks man. I'm not mad about the contract. Sure it's bad, sure he can't play with those injuries, but I appreciate what he brought to the Knicks. He was the first thing done bringing the Knicks back to relevancy. Sure we all knew he wouldn't make it through his contract, he's a bad defender etc but who knows where the Knicks would be without him.

jimm120
09-30-2013, 06:15 AM
yeah....it seems that they really should have kept the amnesty in their pocket for when Amare started to show problems...

its just that after year 1, it didn't seem that bad. If they had left the amnesty for the end of year 2, they'd have seen that they needed to use it.

colinskik
09-30-2013, 08:32 AM
And of course the Knicks FO hasn't said anything publicly.

Sure, in hindsight the misuse of our amnesty seems dreadful, but it was used in order to nab Chandler, who at this point also seems to be wearing down from injuries...

jimm120
09-30-2013, 09:06 AM
The thing is you can't say "in hindsight" here. There is no way you amnesty amare after he put up 25 and 8 with 2 blocks.

What they needed to do was save the amnesty for another year.

Still, yeah, Tyson has been a big help...really changed the Knicks a lot.

king4day
09-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Suns trainers said around year 4 he'd have knee issues which is why they wouldn't guarantee his last 2 years. Amazing how spot on they were.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-30-2013, 09:31 AM
first Allan Houston...now this

ewing
09-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Feel bad for him? He was able to get a team to pay him a $100 million uninsured contract AFTER his old team, a team with the best training/medical staff in the league, said his knees were already shot. He's been playing on borrowed time for a while.

yeah, it must be awesome to have your health prevent you from doing the thing you love and have worked hardest for in your life. he has a lot of money and a lot to be thankful for, it still sucks for him

ewing
09-30-2013, 09:38 AM
And of course the Knicks FO hasn't said anything publicly.

Sure, in hindsight the misuse of our amnesty seems dreadful, but it was used in order to nab Chandler, who at this point also seems to be wearing down from injuries....

the knicks picks up Billups option before letting him go. I've been a big fan of grunwald but they handled Bullips and the amnesty poorly

colinskik
09-30-2013, 09:41 AM
The thing is you can't say "in hindsight" here. There is no way you amnesty amare after he put up 25 and 8 with 2 blocks.

You actually can say "in hindsight" here because in hindsight the Knicks probably shouldn't have been so quick to use the amnesty on Billups knowing fully well that Amare and his knees were just waiting to give out.

FlashBolt
09-30-2013, 09:51 AM
I bet his teammates - specifically Melo, hate his guts. This guy has seriously been nothing but a liability the past 2 years. Such a shame, a prime Amare was an absolute beast.

Cal827
09-30-2013, 10:02 AM
I bet his teammates - specifically Melo, hate his guts. This guy has seriously been nothing but a liability the past 2 years. Such a shame, a prime Amare was an absolute beast.

How so? It's not like Amare is trying to stay off the court. It's unfortunate that his knees are becoming similar to Brandon Roy's.

BklynKnicks3
09-30-2013, 10:03 AM
I feel bad for the guy I do but enough is enough just retire already. Does he really want to go through all this to play 15 min a night

b@llhog24
09-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Stick a fork in him.

b@llhog24
09-30-2013, 10:18 AM
the gift that keeps giving.

Lol

meloman1592
09-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Can't wait till this guy us gone

Tony_Starks
09-30-2013, 10:00 PM
I'm tired of hearing people whine about his contract. He made the Knicks respectable when they were a complete joke and paved the way for Melo to come through. That's money well spent.

Rockice_8
10-01-2013, 09:55 AM
I feel bad for the guy I do but enough is enough just retire already. Does he really want to go through all this to play 15 min a night

And get paid $20+M to do so. . . Ah yeah I think he's ok with that. He'll probably play out his contract, mostly sitting on the end of the bench collect the last of his $44M and then retire.

Guy just can't be counted on anymore. Shame really cause he's one of the nicest NBA players out there.

Rockice_8
10-01-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm tired of hearing people whine about his contract. He made the Knicks respectable when they were a complete joke and paved the way for Melo to come through. That's money well spent.

Yeah it's a fine line though. He helped in the beginning but who knows, maybe he's the reason the Knicks can't add the one more impactful player to be considered a serious contender.

D-Leethal
10-01-2013, 10:15 AM

Its actually the complete opposite. His teammates love him and they see him working his *** of trying to get back on the court. You can't fault the guy for his knees - this isn't Bynum were talking about here - Amare has always had a top-notch work ethic and that work ethic might turn out to work against him (as it did last year when he was doing 3-a-days with Hakeem in the offseason and notoriously hits the gym before AND after his basketball workouts for strength/weight training). If his teammates feel any particular way - they probably feel very bad for him. Amare is very close with all his teammates and they want nothing but to see him succeed. Melo always mentions how Amare started this whole thing in NY, and how he wanted to come help Amare do big things in the big city, and how its unfortunate what type of injuries he has suffered to prevent them from getting any shot at doing it together.

KnickaBocka.44
10-01-2013, 10:57 AM
The Knicks were dumb for not amnestying him while they had the chance.

They never had the chance. Without Chandler, the Knicks wouldn't be where they are today.

kblo247
10-01-2013, 11:29 AM
They never had the chance. Without Chandler, the Knicks wouldn't be where they are today.

They had it. Don't pick up Chauncey's option and amnesty him a hot minute later, and they still sign Tyson while being able to amenity Amare

TrueFan420
10-01-2013, 12:45 PM

They got ride of billups to get chandler. They should have dropped amare. Billups would have been off the books the following year. And you'd be in better shape. I know hindsight is 20/20 but that was a bad deal from the get go.

NYCkid12
10-01-2013, 01:21 PM

Which is where?

Look I know the Knicks were a top team in the East last year and will be toward top 4 in the East this year

BUT

This year and even last year they are not a championship caliber team...looking at the NBA realistically there are maybe 5 teams who have a legitimate shot at being NBA Champs and they are not one of them

If your not one of those 5 teams then your just stuck in the middle which is where the knicks are now...in the middle of contracts waiting to expire being a second tier team hoping they land a FA in 2 years

KnickaBocka.44
10-01-2013, 03:21 PM
They had it. Don't pick up Chauncey's option and amnesty him a hot minute later, and they still sign Tyson while being able to amenity Amare

The fact of the matter is that at the time Chauncey was the only PG on our roster and we picked up his option because it could have been a valuable trade piece later in the season.

As it happened, Cuban surprised everyone by not re-signing Tyson and the Knicks FO jumped at the opportunity to put Chandler in orange and blue and the only way to do that was by amnestying a big contract. At the time, there was 0 chance it would be Amare.

As it turned out, Billups was out for the whole next season anyway with a torn achilles, which would have made his contract immovable and we would have lost him for nothing. At least in the sense we basically made a trade.

They got ride of billups to get chandler. They should have dropped amare. Billups would have been off the books the following year. And you'd be in better shape. I know hindsight is 20/20 but that was a bad deal from the get go.

It's not anywhere as bad as amnestying an MVP candidate from the year before who has only been with your franchise for a season and brought them back to respectability. Saying they should have done that then is asking far too much of any front office. Not to mention it would send a horrible message to players about how the team treats their stars.

Seriously, think about what you are suggesting. Both of you.

KnickaBocka.44
10-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Which is where?

Look I know the Knicks were a top team in the East last year and will be toward top 4 in the East this year

BUT

This year and even last year they are not a championship caliber team...looking at the NBA realistically there are maybe 5 teams who have a legitimate shot at being NBA Champs and they are not one of them

If your not one of those 5 teams then your just stuck in the middle which is where the knicks are now...in the middle of contracts waiting to expire being a second tier team hoping they land a FA in 2 years

Would you prefer to be .500? Maybe worse? Chandler helped change the culture of the entire franchise. Without him and considering Amare's recent injury history, where do you think they would be? You and I both know the answer isn't pretty. And at the time, amnestying Amare wasn't an option.

John Walls Era
10-01-2013, 05:28 PM
lol

trade him for Pau... right?

Sandman
10-01-2013, 05:31 PM

They used the amnesty on a guy they exercised a team option on the week before. All they had to do was decline the option and they could have had Chandler the same way, instead they wasted the amnesty.

Tony_Starks
10-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Amare deserves more credit. Keep in mind at the time the team was in shambles and NO one was in a hurry to get there. Remember how many FA's at the time passed on them? It's not his fault they got desperate and overpaid him.

Remember he was going to stay in Phoenix but they were smart enough to put options and health stipulations in the contract because they knew he would break down...

Sandman
10-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Amare deserves more credit. Keep in mind at the time the team was in shambles and NO one was in a hurry to get there. Remember how many FA's at the time passed on them? It's not his fault they got desperate and overpaid him.

Remember he was going to stay in Phoenix but they were smart enough to put options and health stipulations in the contract because they knew he would break down...
I still side this way because w/o Amare there's no Melo and what youre saying about that is true. But who passed on us really? The 3 guys in Miami & Joe Johnson staying for more money.

Tony_Starks
10-01-2013, 08:16 PM
I still side this way because w/o Amare there's no Melo and what youre saying about that is true. But who passed on us really? The 3 guys in Miami & Joe Johnson staying for more money.

Yeah but think about it everyone was predicting they'd get at the very least 1 of the 4. At the very least Bosh or maybe Bosh and Johnson.

Things worked out for the best but had they not landed Amare it could've been like a Dallas situation where you saved all that space for nothing....

mdm692
10-01-2013, 09:34 PM

This x1000000. Wtf were the Knicks expecting lol. I don't blame Amare for taking 100 mill but he should of stayed in Phx.

NYCkid12
10-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Would you prefer to be .500? Maybe worse? Chandler helped change the culture of the entire franchise. Without him and considering Amare's recent injury history, where do you think they would be? You and I both know the answer isn't pretty. And at the time, amnestying Amare wasn't an option.

At the time I agree, but not using the amnesty was an option. They used the amnesty on Billups shortly after picking up his option. Billups had a TEAM option. Why would they pick up his option just to amnesty him??

You don't use the amnesty in that season and you go through the year with Amare showing his health concerns and gradual decline and then after that season using the amnesty on Amare is a very real option.

nycericanguy
10-02-2013, 11:35 AM
They used the amnesty on a guy they exercised a team option on the week before. All they had to do was decline the option and they could have had Chandler the same way, instead they wasted the amnesty.

thats not really true... Billups had a buyout that would have counted against the cap, so i think they would only have like $8m in cap had they declined... but not worth rehashing over really.

after that season NY was way over hte cap, so even removing Amare's contract wouldn't have left much cap space.

KnickaBocka.44
10-02-2013, 11:53 AM
At the time I agree, but not using the amnesty was an option. They used the amnesty on Billups shortly after picking up his option. Billups had a TEAM option. Why would they pick up his option just to amnesty him??

You don't use the amnesty in that season and you go through the year with Amare showing his health concerns and gradual decline and then after that season using the amnesty on Amare is a very real option.

Read the top half of post #34, I explained this to another poster. That is pretty much how it all went down. The agreement with Chandler happened so quickly that it was originally being reported as a sign and trade. involving Billups to the Mavs.

I don't fault the Knicks for making the move, honestly. The frontcourt of Melo/Amare/Chandler could have been dominant if they were ever on the floor, or even in practice together for an extended period of time.

KnickaBocka.44
10-02-2013, 11:57 AM
thats not really true... Billups had a buyout that would have counted against the cap, so i think they would only have like $8m in cap had they declined... but not worth rehashing over really.

after that season NY was way over hte cap, so even removing Amare's contract wouldn't have left much cap space.

That's a huge factor, actually. If they had let him walk they wouldn't have been able to get Chandler by any means. They would have been stuck with Amare and Melo alone with only about 5 million to work with cap wise.

ryang
10-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Pretty much why Riley chose bosh. Not because of skill set but because everyone and there mother knew this well before New York signed him.

ddt
10-02-2013, 02:21 PM
One of my fav players. so sad. feel bad for the guy. Good luck Amare! Hope you can get back and destroy everyone.