PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think the Dwight Howard/Omer Asik Pairing Will Work?

ChiSox219
09-29-2013, 07:16 PM
There are questions about how this pairing will affect the Rockets offense but the way I see it, the duo could be so dominant defensively they more than make up for any loss in offensive output.

Look back at how effective the Taj Gibson/Asik pairing was for the Bulls. They locked down the paint and as a pairing held offenses to less than 90 points per 100 possessions (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/lineup_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=single&lineup_type=2-man&output=per_poss&year_id=2012&is_playoffs=N&team_id=&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&c1stat=poss&c1comp=ge&c1val=1000&c2stat=pts&c2comp=ge&c2val=70&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=ge&c4val=&order_by=opp_pts&order_by_asc=Y) (the worst offense in the league last year averaged 100.2 points per 100). The offense did suffer because neither guy was a threat outside the restricted area but the two years Asik and Taj played together they were +6.1 and +7.2 points per 36 minutes and the Bench Mob often extended the leads they inherited.

Dwight Howard is better than Taj on both ends of the floor and the Rockets are going to have more threats from the perimeter than the Bulls did so I could see the two centers lineup succeed. Probably still a good idea to stagger Asik's and Dwight's minutes so they aren't always on the court together.

Stunner
09-29-2013, 07:29 PM
No , need a PF like Ryan Anderson or Booz next to Howard

Clippersfan86
09-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Don't think you can compare Taj/Asik to this pairing because Taj played PF. Dwight and Asik are both bulky, slow footed centers. I don't see either being able to step out and guard PF's consistently. On offense neither will be able to score outside of the paint consistently which will make them much easier to stop. Against other big, slow frontcourts like Memphis they would be fine but most teams are running smaller now. Teams with no outside shooting ability, forced to drive a lot would get shut down though.

I predict Asik will be a backup or traded, they won't play well for long stretches paired up. Interior defense and rebounding would be insane but overall man D and offensively it's got disaster written all over it.

Stunner
09-29-2013, 08:16 PM
I would do this http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mx24evf

TrueFan420
09-30-2013, 12:09 AM

I don't think boozer is a great fit. It's better than asik but still someone with a better outside would be ideal for the rockets

5ass
09-30-2013, 12:19 AM

Asik alone is more valuable than Boozer.

Chronz
09-30-2013, 01:59 AM
Did CN just call Dwight slow footed? WTF? Oh you got banned

kdspurman
09-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Offensively I don't think so. Defensively, most likely yes.

Sly Guy
09-30-2013, 09:31 AM
no, because both play their games primarily from within 10'. If you want to work in two major pieces that are at the 4&5, you need at least one who can stretch the floor a little bit. Preferably both.

FlashBolt
09-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Literally 0 room for Harden to drive in the paint but that's going to be a tough front court to go against. Huge bodies, only the Grizzlies front court can compete against them.

Cal827
09-30-2013, 10:05 AM
I don't think it'll be too effective. An Ideal situation would be to trade a stretch 4 for Asik. Guys like Anderson, Barfnani. Obviously Dirk and Love would be nice, but it would take a ton more to get them from Dallas/Minnesota.

b@llhog24
09-30-2013, 10:21 AM
They'll be okay. Defensively, Dwight always used to cover the best frontcourt player anyway.

b@llhog24
09-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Did CN just call Dwight slow footed? WTF? Oh you got banned

Yea I couldn't believe that either, but it's early in the morning so I wasn't in the mood to pick it apart.

THE MTL
09-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Not at all. The rockets should trade him for a good PF and bonafided sixth man.

Chronz
09-30-2013, 10:41 AM
So are you guys saying this combo is going to work worse than the Asik + Greg Smith pairing that Houston won with last year?

Cal827
09-30-2013, 10:50 AM
So are you guys saying this combo is going to work worse than the Asik + Greg Smith pairing that Houston won with last year?

Who the **** is Greg Smith?

Chronz
09-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Who the **** is Greg Smith?
Exactly.

He and Asik were the PF/C tandem Houston wound up taking into the playoffs. You can prolly count on 1 hand how many jumpers those 2 made outside the paint.

Htownballa1622
09-30-2013, 10:56 AM
^^Exactly why many people commenting saying it won't work don't even know much about the Rockets.

Greg Smith is our 6'10 pf/c who can't hit a jumper to save his life and has a terrible foul rate. Dwight is an upgrade over him in every aspect of the game.

Smith and Omer saw floor time together. I think a Dwight/Omer lineup could work for stretches.

b@llhog24
09-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Exactly.

He and Asik were the PF/C tandem Houston wound up taking into the playoffs. You can prolly count on 1 hand how many jumpers those 2 made outside the paint.

Lol.

Htownballa1622
09-30-2013, 10:57 AM
I was pointing to the poster above Chronz. Chronz just literally answered a minute before I posted-lol.

jstone0716
09-30-2013, 10:59 AM
I think Omer thinks he's a lot better than he really is... paired next to Dwight... who also thinks he's a lot better than he really is. That's the only reason(s) that the pairing won't work. If they can both lose the egos I'd be excited to see what they can do together defensively.

b@llhog24
09-30-2013, 11:00 AM
]^^Exactly why many people commenting saying it won't work don't even know much about the Rockets. [/B]Greg Smith is our 6'10 pf/c who can't hit a jumper to save his life and has a terrible foul rate. Dwight is an upgrade over him in every aspect of the game.

Smith and Omer saw floor time together. I think a Dwight/Omer lineup could work for stretches.

Pretty much. The lack of spacing is an issue, in an ideal world I feel as if you need at least three floor spacers in the atypical starting unit. The Rockets really have two in Harden and Parsons, but if they subbed Lin for Bev then to me it's null and void as to whether they'll produce elite offensive marks. But they can make it it work with just two, it's just not as ideal.

Chronz
09-30-2013, 11:18 AM
I think Omer thinks he's a lot better than he really is... paired next to Dwight... who also thinks he's a lot better than he really is. That's the only reason(s) that the pairing won't work. If they can both lose the egos I'd be excited to see what they can do together defensively.

good point

Snakeyestx
09-30-2013, 11:39 AM
It could be the next generation of this...

http://wagesofwins.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/olasam.jpg

Dade County
09-30-2013, 11:56 AM
No...

Howard needs a player sort of like bosh, K Love, Dirk...etc

Stinkyoutsider
09-30-2013, 12:15 PM
I heard from a lot of people that the pairing won't work because most of the teams are putting small lineups out on the floor. The Rockets have a luxury they shouldn't give up so easy. Why play your opponent's style when you can make them play yours (big).

I think Asik and Howard will work. We're really underestimating Howard's athleticism. I have no doubt that he can run with 4s in this league.

Defensively, those 2 could lock down the paint like no other pairing in the league. Both are excellent rebounders and shotblockers. The only thing I would worry about is about both players wanting to plant themselves in the paint. One of them will have to move and defend against teams with stretch 4s. But the rebounding will be top class inside.

Offensively, Asik doesn't need the ball. I would like to see what kind of shooting range he would have (hopefully out to 12 feet). Howard always wants the ball and since Asik can play without it and doesn't demand it, I like the pairing. Plus, you've got a playmaking James Harden to facilitate.

Houston would beat people up inside almost every game. A style that could work well in the playoffs.

Steve Young
09-30-2013, 12:20 PM
A good coach can make it work.

Win ball games 92 to 84. Which is actually better than winning 115-107. The first one is a greater % victory.

Sly Guy
09-30-2013, 12:36 PM

yes, actually, I am. Greg Smith is a nobody and is therefore a low-maintenance player. Dwight, he's gonna demand touches and to be involved, that will cause problems in trying to draw up sets for the team. Defensively, I don't see any issues, but an upgrade only works if it's a complimentary piece, and I don't see Asik and Howard's game meshing all that well.

I really do see Asik being moved some time before the deadline

shep33
09-30-2013, 01:00 PM
I have little doubt that Asik gets dealt

dnl123
09-30-2013, 01:00 PM
So I'm sorry if I missed something, but is Asik for sure starting? I thought he was going to come off the bench and give him less minutes so he plays with more energy. I could see the Rockets playing some small ball like the Heat do at times.

Lin would pay point,
Harden at 2,
(I honestly don't know who they would start at the 3, Rocket fans can tell me,
Parsons at the 4,
and Howard at 5.

I think it's more beneficial for both Howard and Asik if they only play together about 10 minutes a game.

houstonfan
09-30-2013, 01:02 PM
By the way Greg Smith is not 6'10.. Also I believe he was traded to the Kings for the 6'6 PF out of Kansas.

Greg Smith is more like a 6'7 player

Ya...you're completely wrong. Greg Smith is in training camp with the Rockets and wasnt traded. He is also 6'10"... Do some research

houstonfan
09-30-2013, 01:04 PM
So I'm sorry if I missed something, but is Asik for sure starting? I thought he was going to come off the bench and give him less minutes so he plays with more energy. I could see the Rockets playing some small ball like the Heat do at times.

Lin would pay point,
Harden at 2,
(I honestly don't know who they would start at the 3, Rocket fans can tell me,
Parsons at the 4,
and Howard at 5.

I think it's more beneficial for both Howard and Asik if they only play together about 10 minutes a game.

Parsons at the 3 and Jones at the 4.

Htownballa1622
09-30-2013, 02:07 PM
By the way Greg Smith is not 6'10.. Also I believe he was traded to the Kings for the 6'6 PF out of Kansas.

Greg Smith is more like a 6'7 player

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+tall+is+Greg+Smith%3F

Steve Young
09-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Ya...you're completely wrong. Greg Smith is in training camp with the Rockets and wasnt traded. He is also 6'10"... Do some research

He's not 6'10 they add 1-3 inches on most players in the NBA. If he was a legit 6'10 EVERYONE would know exactly who he is.

And it doesn't matter if he's there in camp. He won't play this season.. The PF will be Asik, Howard, and Parsons 95% of the time if not more.

Steve Young
09-30-2013, 02:13 PM
But it would be stupid to play the Heat with a small ball team.

You're basically saying you want to lose by doing that.

Stunner
09-30-2013, 02:50 PM
He's not 6'10 they add 1-3 inches on most players in the NBA. If he was a legit 6'10 EVERYONE would know exactly who he is.

And it doesn't matter if he's there in camp. He won't play this season.. The PF will be Asik, Howard, and Parsons 95% of the time if not more.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Greg-Smith-5817/ he's 6'10 and he will play in backup mins they're high on him. And what does being 6'10 have to be with being known ? That's just dumb

Chronz
09-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Im gonna agree with the banned guy, Greg Smith never looked like a legit 6"10 to me, hes likely closer to 6"8 than 6"10, but hes got the necessary wingspan and that counts for more.

Chronz
09-30-2013, 02:57 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Greg-Smith-5817/ he's 6'10 and he will play in backup mins they're high on him. And what does being 6'10 have to be with being known ? That's just dumb

Says there hes 6"8.5 without shoes, which I think should be the base measurement for all players as the shoes players wear to draft camps can vary from the ones they take to the court and vary amongst each other.

Hes prolly 6"9.5 or something when actually on the court. Dwight for instance is barely 6"9 but the NBA lists him as 6"11

koberulesall
09-30-2013, 03:03 PM
will they work as in be on the same roster yes that will happen will they win a title? NO...

koberulesall
09-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Agreed.

some will believe anything they read on the internet. I also go by actually watching the games and going to them and sitting in good seats.

He's about Kurt Thomas' size when Thomas was young.

i dont believe everything on the internet just like i dont believe you go to games

ChiSox219
09-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Forgot about an inch or so in height, Greg Smith has the biggest hands ever measured at the combine, he's the anti-Kwame

DDynO
09-30-2013, 03:30 PM
No. Hopefully McHale figures this out during training camp. Our PF should be either Jones/Motiejunas.

FlashBolt
09-30-2013, 05:55 PM
It could be the next generation of this...

http://wagesofwins.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/olasam.jpg

You have one of the most skilled center and a very good center.. On the other hand, you have Asik and Howard, both who rely on the paint and can't shoot free throws. Oh yeah.. They can't shoot free throws -.-...

Tony_Starks
09-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Nope. Dwight needs the paint to himself and Asik is offensively limited with nothing even close to a jumper....

tredigs
09-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Not sure why Greg Smith is being brought up. He played 15 mpg, less so in the playoffs. And about half of those minutes were as a center without Asik.

Silent
09-30-2013, 10:11 PM

And that is why you are not a gm

Sandman
09-30-2013, 10:16 PM
bold prediction -- they will make the not top 10 before the end of the year for boxing eachother out on a rebound.

5ass
09-30-2013, 10:22 PM
I hve my doubts, but it could work. The defense is going to be elite with these two on the floor. Asik better learn a post move or get a decent jumpshot going so that he can play more than 20mpg.

RollingWave
10-01-2013, 01:57 AM
Welp, since we have brilliant opinion of guys claiming Dwight Howard is slow footed as a reason why it can't work, I think we're in a good place now ;)

It probably can work to some extend, but the key is the relative context here.

1. it's easier to get away with more questionable lineups in the regular season

2. its' easier to get away with inherently flawed lineup if it runs 10-15 min a game instead of 20-30.

If the Rocket's goal is to get Asik about 25+ min per game so they can justify to him and themselves to pay him starter money, they would need to play him about 10 min a game or so , hopefully 15, with Dwight if we assume that Dwight plays 32-35 min a game so Asik gets 13-16 min making him up.

so it's like 2 stretches of 5-7 min lineup we're talking about here.

Defensively there's not a lot of reason to think it can't work. Dwight's actually the height of average PF these days, and certainly most of the most dominant once are hardly guys that beat you with elite foot speed anyway. and of course, they could just throw out a 2-3 zone for a few min anyway. it's a perfect situation for that as well.

Offensively it gets more tricky and could certainly be exploited by more crafty teams in prolonged playoff series, but really, if teams get away with "shooting" guards that can't shoot (and really, of the final 4s last year, 3 of them had Starting SG that shot below average from 3. and 2 of them wayyyyy below average.) it's a bit absurd to claim they can't get away with Power forwards that can't shoot. There's a lot of other aspect to an offense than just assuming the Rockets are somehow idiots and Harden will charge into 4 huge pieces of body on top of his own men every play.

They could

A. if they let the high post man go, just set a pick and you now have no one to hedge on Harden, good job there. let's leave Harden totally open in a triple threat situation. what could possibly go wrong?

B. most of their offense are done before the play is completely set anyway last year, I expect much of the same this year, so spacing isn't a huge issue as often time it'll be just 2 on 1 , 1 man fast break, dribble motion before everything sets etc. there is some concern as to Dwight buying into the system, but obviously if he doesn't it's a far bigger problem than just the Asik pairing, and if he does, there's tons of things the Rockets can do that makes packing the paint really stupid.

C. if they're hacking Dwight anyway late game, who cares about offensive spacing? (obviously Dwight would need to show he can hit more than half his free throws, but that's true regardless of this pairing.)

Essentially, I'm guessing that everyone who thinks it can't work is working off the assumption that the Rockets will play just like Orlando did 2-4 years ago, which... they've given every indication that they won't, they'll probably still be a very high pace team.

jam
10-01-2013, 04:00 AM
Omer

Doesn't wanna be there.

So,

No.

Iron24th
10-01-2013, 04:30 AM
I don't think it will work because the only way to make it work is when you have a guy like Pau or Mac Gasol who is skilled and we all know neither dwight or omer are skilled, they both are very raw in offense and don't forget transition defense.

YoungOne
10-01-2013, 06:31 AM
trade him to us, we have enough shooting power forwards that houston might want :)

Sandman
10-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Asik for Ryan Anderson, why not?

RollingWave
10-02-2013, 04:12 AM
Asik for Ryan Anderson, why not?

Well, by the same standard we judge why Asik can't possibly play with Dwight Howard, I can conclude the Ryan Anderson has a fairly large sample of playing in the playoffs with Dwight Howard, and has yet to even have a good game, let alone a good series, in fact, he has been out right horrendous in the playoff, it's one thing to have a couple of bad games in a short series, it's another when you have in 3 season and 5 playoff series, shot .311 from the field (with your value being entirely tied into your ability to shoot too.), that's not a typo.

So I can of course, claim that Ryan Anderson will never have a good playoff game, because he have yet to have one in his career, and thus any team with playoff aspiration should not even trade a 2nd rounder for him, let alone a real player (and the only guy on your roster that actually stepped up in the playoff last year.)

I can't say if Asik / Dwight will work for sure, but I certainly see at least some reason that it might, at least no less reason than Ryan Anderson being able to have a solid playoff series where he doesn't literally kill his team.

bloomis1307
10-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Anyone else see the zone being effective?

A 3-2 defense with asik and dwight down low is scary.....parsons and harden on the wings is pretty good, and patrick beverly playing middle?

Missing56&33
10-02-2013, 11:00 AM
I think they're going to be tough on both sides of the ball. Asik is pretty good...Asik could turn out to be the dominant one of the two. DH could actually become more of a force if he plays off of Asik....in any event it's a damn good combo to have.

If used right, they couldbe the best front court in the league.

Btw...wouldn't trade Asik

RollingWave
10-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Anyone else see the zone being effective?

A 3-2 defense with asik and dwight down low is scary.....parsons and harden on the wings is pretty good, and patrick beverly playing middle?

that's probably a strategy they use with that combo, probably won't be all the time, but certainly if your going to throw a curve ball you'd do it when you have an unconventional lineup out there.

Since we've been at this positional evolution lately, redefining the limits of traditional position definition, it would certainly be interesting to see how Houston attempt to tackle this.

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 01:28 AM
I don't know why you gave me flack for the slow footed comment Chronz. In context with what I said.. it was obviously in comparison to PF's he will be guarding. I don't think either player is capable of guarding PF's every game consistently. Neither have the quickness to stay with these PF's on the perimeter and off the dribble. You and others will bring up how Dwight used to be a PF, without acknowledging that he was 220-240 pounds when he played PF and is now definitely more like 275 and has slowed down some.

I just don't see it defensively, besides deep in the paint. Teams that can shoot well will obliterate Houston's defense IMO. Mainly because of the weak perimeter defenders outside of Parsons and the fact that Dwight/Omer most likely aren't chasing PF's effectively in the midrange game. Offensively the struggles are obvious. Both are mediocre free throw shooters who can't score reliably outside of 10 feet from the basket.

SanAntonioSpurs23
10-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Coward sucks, so no.

monty77
10-03-2013, 11:08 AM
This is impossible, both of them stand out in similar concepts: rebound, blocks and defense. Besides, Asik has proved that he refuses play as backup center, and this was the main reason why he didn't resign with Chicago and joined Rockets.

He plays some years with Noah, who also has the same qualities, and they never played together because there are no sense to play with two pure centers at the same time. Gibson fit better to the PF position because he has a mid-range shoot at least.

Asik and Howard must play near to the rim, this is the unique game both of them know. The opponent defenses'd allow for Asik when Howard got the ball near the rim because he is unable to score if it is through a smash or short distance shoot.

Besides, Howard is in his frame, and he has a privileged physical so he doesn't need to rest too much time if he is healthy and solves his back injury. For this, Asik only would play 10-15 minutes per game, and this isn't enough to a player like this.

He has neither expensive nor long contract, and Rockets need to bolsten others positions such as PF and PG. There is no reason to keep him and give up other possibilites through an exchange with other team untalented at center spot.

NoahH
10-03-2013, 03:18 PM

Exactly my thinking. Asik was all pissy when they signed Dwight because he thought he was the franchise centre. He said he wants to be traded already and said he wont play behind Dwight. With that attitude it aint gonna work.

A closer look shows that Asik took 585 of his 618 shots WITHIN THE KEY last year while Dwight took 752 of 813 in the key! They're essentially the same player in that sense. I think you need to trade Asik for a complimentary player to Dwight instead of a duplicate.

Chronz
10-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Not sure why Greg Smith is being brought up. He played 15 mpg, less so in the playoffs. And about half of those minutes were as a center without Asik.
Its not like people are expecting Dwight and Asik to log heavy minutes together.

Smith played about 24 MPG to close the year. He became the starter alongside Asik, not sure how many of those minutes were alongside him from the point on .

lakersfan01
10-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Work for enough wins to be a playoff team? Yes. Work for winning a championship? No.

FlashBolt
10-04-2013, 11:17 PM
It's not going to work. Both are horrific ft shooters and neither of them have a go to move other than put back dunks.

Asik's better
10-05-2013, 12:22 AM
It's not going to work. Both are horrific ft shooters and neither of them have a go to move other than put back dunks.

Watch game 5 of thunder v.s rockets and tell me if he is 'horrific'. Not saying he is great free throw shooter but 'horrific' free throw shooters don't hit clutch free throws.

Anyway we will all find out in Houston's 2nd or 3rd pre-season game if it will work or not.

5ass
10-05-2013, 12:44 AM
you are 100% correct. Dwight managed to score 22 points per game off of only put back dunks.

FlashBolt
10-05-2013, 01:45 AM

Watch game 5 of thunder v.s rockets and tell me if he is 'horrific'. Not saying he is great free throw shooter but 'horrific' free throw shooters don't hit clutch free throws.

Anyway we will all find out in Houston's 2nd or 3rd pre-season game if it will work or not.

Because one game illustrates his entire season of bad ft shooting. It clearly shows he's horrific at free throws. What are you denying?

FlashBolt
10-05-2013, 01:47 AM
you are 100% correct. Dwight managed to score 22 points per game off of only put back dunks.

He relies on sheer power, just like Shaq, except Shaq is much bigger and actually has skill. Dwight hasn't learned much since his sophomore year. I've yet to see any huge improvement from Dwight on the offensive end. He's been learning from Hakeem and yet his moves are non existent.

5ass
10-05-2013, 02:00 AM
He relies on sheer power, just like Shaq, except Shaq is much bigger and actually has skill. Dwight hasn't learned much since his sophomore year. I've yet to see any huge improvement from Dwight on the offensive end. He's been learning from Hakeem and yet his moves are non existent.

Ur just wrong here.

5ass
10-05-2013, 02:02 AM
And so what if he uses his strength to get his points? In the end all that matters is the results.

Clippersfan86
10-05-2013, 02:03 AM
And so what if he uses his strength to get his points? In the end all that matters is the results.

It matters when you have two brutes who can't score much outside of 5-8 feet. When I think of all the top bigman duos in NBA history literally EVERY SINGLE one consisted of at least one guy who could spread the floor. Not one pairing had two paint cloggers with no jumper.

Asik's better
10-05-2013, 02:24 AM
Because one game illustrates his entire season of bad ft shooting. It clearly shows he's horrific at free throws. What are you denying?
I'm denying he is 'horrific' free throw shooter. Read my post again. I was pointing out that 'horrific' free throw shooters don't make clutch free throws in important playoff games. And asik scored more points off the pick and roll than put back dunks so your wrong on that point to

PurpleLynch
10-05-2013, 05:10 AM

He uses strenght to get buckets everytime. And his offensive efficiency tell the whole story about his results:average,but not great(bad on FTS). That's why he'll have to focus on D and grabbin rebounds. But he has to let go his drama queen's side and let Harden be the 1st choice on offense.

UPRock
10-05-2013, 08:27 AM
DoMo is starting at PF for them, right? He can shoot the outside shot and also in the post.

FlashBolt
10-05-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm denying he is 'horrific' free throw shooter. Read my post again. I was pointing out that 'horrific' free throw shooters don't make clutch free throws in important playoff games. And asik scored more points off the pick and roll than put back dunks so your wrong on that point to

What kind of argument is this? Asik is a horrible ft shooter. Just because he has a few games where he can knock them down, doesn't automatically mean he's a good ft shooter. That's like saying someone who has a few good games is a superstar.. No, they just had a few good games. They are NBA players, not the random Joe.

FlashBolt
10-05-2013, 10:59 AM

Because they can't both be clogging the paint up... No floor spacing whatsoever. Which is even more of a crime since Harden and Lin drive to the lane for fouls and easy buckets. Who are they going to dish it out to when the going gets rough? Asik and Howard shooting jumpers? If you noticed, elite front courts include someone who can knock down the shot when open. Marc Gasol, Tim Duncan, Hakeem.

Asik's better
10-05-2013, 04:40 PM
What kind of argument is this? Asik is a horrible ft shooter. Just because he has a few games where he can knock them down, doesn't automatically mean he's a good ft shooter. That's like saying someone who has a few good games is a superstar.. No, they just had a few good games. They are NBA players, not the random Joe.
I never said he was good or great, I'm saying he isn't 'horrific'. Dwight is 'horrific', asik isn't. Hopefully you read this post properly this time

RollingWave
10-07-2013, 05:30 AM
I don't know why you gave me flack for the slow footed comment Chronz. In context with what I said.. it was obviously in comparison to PF's he will be guarding. I don't think either player is capable of guarding PF's every game consistently. Neither have the quickness to stay with these PF's on the perimeter and off the dribble. You and others will bring up how Dwight used to be a PF, without acknowledging that he was 220-240 pounds when he played PF and is now definitely more like 275 and has slowed down some.

I just don't see it defensively, besides deep in the paint. Teams that can shoot well will obliterate Houston's defense IMO. Mainly because of the weak perimeter defenders outside of Parsons and the fact that Dwight/Omer most likely aren't chasing PF's effectively in the midrange game. Offensively the struggles are obvious. Both are mediocre free throw shooters who can't score reliably outside of 10 feet from the basket.
Come on, the Dwight Howard that does this can't keep up with most PF in the league?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_brYgFVlGo4

We'll have to see obviously, but one has to remember that Dwight is really really mobile .

jam
10-07-2013, 07:29 AM
I never said he was good or great, I'm saying he isn't 'horrific'. Dwight is 'horrific', asik isn't. Hopefully you read this post properly this time

Incorrect. Howard's a career 58% FT shooter. Asik is a miserable 53% from the line over his career. Both are horrible, but Asik is far worse.

Clippersfan86
10-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Rollingwave closing out on a 3 isn't the same. I'm not questioning his straight line speed, wingspan or athleticism. I'm doubting his lateral quickness and desire to play defense outside of the paint constantly.

JordansBulls
10-10-2013, 12:01 AM
I dont' think they should start Asik with Dwight. Maybe start Camby at PF.