PDA

View Full Version : How Dominant Would Shaq Be Today?

Clippersfan86
09-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Probably the most dominant peak of any player ever, how would he do now? Sure he would face far lesser competition than he did in his prime BUT he would also face less favorable reffing. With as quick as refs are to call touch fouls now and offensive fouls I see tons of games where he fouls out. I also wonder if the more perimeter based game would give him issues.

Numbers wise what do you think he would put up? Would he be the best right now, even better than Lebron? Could he anchor a dynasty as the guy being built around in this day and age?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewBnHq04CRg

Chronz
09-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Not buying the theory that touch fouls are more existent, he doesn't play on the perimeter so hand checking augments wouldn't benefit him. He was also putting up good production as an old man not too long ago. I envision very little change if he remains in the triangle.

shep33
09-25-2013, 10:19 PM
You can put a prime Shaq on any team in the NBA and they'd be a title contender. Pretty bad centers when we were dominating in the early 2000s... but now, most teams don't even have a true starting center

Chronz
09-25-2013, 10:27 PM
I feel like the Center position has improved alot since Shaq's Dynasty days.

dnl123
09-25-2013, 10:37 PM
No offense dude, cause you're not the only one who makes threads like this, but WHO CARES! These threads are so pointless and so subjective. Shaq was a great center, doesn't matter what era you put him in his numbers would fluctuate based on what era he played in (same with Lebron, same with Michael Jordan, same with Kobe, same with Wilt, same with anyone!) I know it's for the sake of talking sports, but these threads are 90% based on subjection, and 10% based on random facts and numbers that don't prove anything.

Hawkeye15
09-25-2013, 10:49 PM
pretty much similar to what he did.

Chronz
09-25-2013, 10:52 PM
I make these kind of threads all the time, it is pointless, but nobody ever said we had to make profound/deep threads all the time. Sometimes you're just curious to the irrelevant

JWorthy42
09-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Just as good.

Basically Dwight, but like 1000 times better.

WHODAT8o8
09-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Sorry but I just had to point out how funny/ironic it is that you called out bagwell asking if he had "a life" yet I notice you create a thread atleast once or twice a day.

FlashBolt
09-26-2013, 12:05 AM
I'm not sure Shaq would be light years ahead of Dwight. He'll be better than Dwight but let's stop acting like today's centers are all scrubs. It's the way the game has changed that's affecting centers.

shep33
09-26-2013, 12:12 AM

Well I think offensively some guys could give him trouble, but realistically the best defensive centers today would have no chance just like before. Gasol, Hibbert, Timmy, Chandler and Dwight would get eaten alive.

I guess my point of him being more dominant has to do with a lot of teams not even using a traditional center these days. Bosh would get tossed around like a rag doll.

Seems like a lot of centers are a lot lighter these days too.

FlashBolt
09-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Well I think offensively some guys could give him trouble, but realistically the best defensive centers today would have no chance just like before. Gasol, Hibbert, Timmy, Chandler and Dwight would get eaten alive.

I guess my point of him being more dominant has to do with a lot of teams not even using a traditional center these days. Bosh would get tossed around like a rag doll.

Well, Bosh isn't a natural center. It's all hypothetical. I don't think Shaq would be much more dominant. Might be less since three point shooters are off the charts these days.

shep33
09-26-2013, 12:18 AM
I'm not sure Shaq would be light years ahead of Dwight. He'll be better than Dwight but let's stop acting like today's centers are all scrubs. It's the way the game has changed that's affecting centers.

I get what your saying, but I personally think he would destroy Dwight in just about every statistical category. We're forgetting how dominant Shaq was...

Shaq in the Finals against a good Pacers defense, averaged 38, 17 and 3 blocks... Dwight, Marc Gasol, etc. aren't close to Shaq, and never will be. Dude is a top 8 player of all-time

shep33
09-26-2013, 12:19 AM
Well, Bosh isn't a natural center. It's all hypothetical. I don't think Shaq would be much more dominant. Might be less since three point shooters are off the charts these days.

I think that would make him more dominant though. The spacing would be just as good within the triangle with all those shooters around

jerellh528
09-26-2013, 12:21 AM
A bench warmer for top teams. He wasn't exactly dominant when he retired almost 4 yrs ago

FlashBolt
09-26-2013, 12:44 AM
I get what your saying, but I personally think he would destroy Dwight in just about every statistical category. We're forgetting how dominant Shaq was...

Shaq in the Finals against a good Pacers defense, averaged 38, 17 and 3 blocks... Dwight, Marc Gasol, etc. aren't close to Shaq, and never will be. Dude is a top 8 player of all-time

Against a good Pacers defense? Sorry, but that Pacers team wasn't a great defensive team. They were good, not great. And who was their center again? Jeff and Davis? That was when East was fairly weak. He's better than Dwight, no question but we can't just say he's much better because it's all hypothetical. It's more than just "Shaq has rings". It has a lot to do with how the game has changed.

Clippersfan86
09-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Not buying the theory that touch fouls are more existent, he doesn't play on the perimeter so hand checking augments wouldn't benefit him. He was also putting up good production as an old man not too long ago. I envision very little change if he remains in the triangle.

Not my feelings, was mentioning points others have raised over the years. I think he would easily dominate the same as you do.

JWorthy42
09-26-2013, 01:22 AM
Against a good Pacers defense? Sorry, but that Pacers team wasn't a great defensive team. They were good, not great. And who was their center again? Jeff and Davis? That was when East was fairly weak. He's better than Dwight, no question but we can't just say he's much better because it's all hypothetical. It's more than just "Shaq has rings". It has a lot to do with how the game has changed.

Are you saying Shaquille O'Neal is not that much better than Dwight Howard? Are you insane? Do you realize Shaq had an actual offensive game and was UNGUARDABLE in the paint, while Dwight struggles to get a single post move?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=onealsh01&y1=2001&p2=howardw01&y2=2013

Their first 9 seasons in the NBA.

Shaq PER = 28
Dwight PER = 22

Not to mention Shaq hit freethrows when it mattered.

Chronz
09-26-2013, 01:28 AM

Shaq could make the DPOY look bad tho. Dwight on the other hand could be contained 1 on 1 by the likes of Perkins or Jason Collins, the same Collins that needed double teams to handle Shaq and still get torched to a higher degree.

Shaq is demonstrably better than Dwight, that much is certain.

Clippersfan86
09-26-2013, 01:36 AM

Improved in terms of depth and number of quality centers, yes. In terms of truly dominant or great centers, much worse. In other words.... the center crop is much less top heavy now.

shep33
09-26-2013, 01:38 AM
Shaq could make the DPOY look bad tho. Dwight on the other hand could be contained 1 on 1 by the likes of Perkins or Jason Collins, the same Collins that needed double teams to handle Shaq and still get torched to a higher degree.

Yup. So many people forget how physically dominating Shaq was. He makes marc Gasol who is a monster, look small. Probably outweighed Marc by like 80 lbs lol, but he was 10X more athletic... freak of nature

Clippersfan86
09-26-2013, 01:42 AM
I still can't wrap my mind around how a legit 7'1, 330-340 pound guy could have a 32 inch vertical, that kind of quickness and footwork and have that soft of a touch at times. Never mind the amazing wingspan and huge hands. He was just a perfect basketball specimen.

shep33
09-26-2013, 01:46 AM
I still can't wrap my mind around how a legit 7'1, 330-340 pound guy could have a 32 inch vertical, that kind of quickness and footwork and have that soft of a touch at times. Never mind the amazing wingspan and huge hands. He was just a perfect basketball specimen.

Yeah, it honestly didn't even make sense how that worked. Absolutely unstoppable when he wanted to be. What's scary is how good he could have been if he put in the work like other greats. Phil Jackson and others I believe have mentioned this. Honestly, maybe could have been the GOAT if he put in more time working on his conditioning etc.

Clippersfan86
09-26-2013, 01:50 AM
Yeah, it honestly didn't even make sense how that worked. Absolutely unstoppable when he wanted to be. What's scary is how good he could have been if he put in the work like other greats. Phil Jackson and others I believe have mentioned this. Honestly, maybe could have been the GOAT if he put in more time working on his conditioning etc.

Yup. If Shaq had the work ethic of guys like Kobe, Jordan etc he would easily be the GOAT IMO like you suggested he could. He did come off as a guy who coasted on natural ability a lot more than peers. Which as you said is scary if you really think about it considering HOW dominant and great he was. If he stayed a trim 305-315 like he was in Orlando and REALLY was a workout freak I think he could have had an even longer prime and won an extra ring or two no doubt.

shep33
09-26-2013, 02:06 AM
Yup. If Shaq had the work ethic of guys like Kobe, Jordan etc he would easily be the GOAT IMO like you suggested he could. He did come off as a guy who coasted on natural ability a lot more than peers. Which as you said is scary if you really think about it considering HOW dominant and great he was. If he stayed a trim 305-315 like he was in Orlando and REALLY was a workout freak I think he could have had an even longer prime and won an extra ring or two no doubt.

Absolutely. Being a Laker fan, I'll always be thankful for having that beast on our team. What was frustrating though was how lazy he was. It was absolutely amazing at times. Maybe it was the injuries that slowed him down first, but his weight got so out of control, plus he just skipped chunks of the season.

Could've been the greatest.

ewing
09-26-2013, 06:26 AM
I think the game would be too athletic for him now.

PurpleLynch
09-26-2013, 06:47 AM
Shaq would made any center of these years his *****. Seriously,at his peak years he would destroy anyone. Ten times better than Howard for sure.

ThuglifeJ
09-26-2013, 07:26 AM
Hahaha shaq would shoot 70% and 50 ppg

There is no one capable of guarding him

Hellcrooner
09-26-2013, 10:04 AM
He wouldnt leave the bech because " he is to big to chase around 6, 7 Centers" because " we want to play small ball" because, " we have to shoot 4000 3 poiters a game" because " Shootig Guards or Small shooting guards ( formely known as poit guards) Eat first" " because you cant shoot three pointers and we all know thats a must for centers" :p

jstone0716
09-26-2013, 10:45 AM
No offense dude, cause you're not the only one who makes threads like this, but WHO CARES! These threads are so pointless and so subjective. Shaq was a great center, doesn't matter what era you put him in his numbers would fluctuate based on what era he played in (same with Lebron, same with Michael Jordan, same with Kobe, same with Wilt, same with anyone!) I know it's for the sake of talking sports, but these threads are 90% based on subjection, and 10% based on random facts and numbers that don't prove anything.

What's the point of a sports forum period? Completely useless time sink - thus threads like these. I actually enjoy them. Why don't you quit crying and go fight crime or something?

I think Shaq would be slightly more dominant in today's NBA. Not by much though. I think the better question would've been how would Shaq fare in Wilt/Russel days?

monty77
09-26-2013, 11:08 AM
At that time there were better centers than nowadays so I think he would be even more dominant than before. I don't find as good centers as before such us Olajuwon, David Robinson and good defenders such as Mutombo or Ben Walllace.

Furthermore, I must say that the present center aren't as stronger as past ones. Howard and Noah are great defenders, but both them would fail defending him because of their lack of strength. Maybe Marc Gasol would be able to defend him properly due to his intelligence and corpulence.

Even so, he would be the most dominant player in the league, and he would be able to generate a new dynasty along with a good player like Kobe. Even more, I think he would do it playing together with any top 15 player in the league and a proper coach and teammates.

This is more than Lebron, who need a top 5 like Wade, and a top 15 like Bosh to reach the ring. Consequently, O'Neal would be more dominant than Lebron. Maybe at that time he needed a player like KB8 to win a tittle because there was better centers in the league, but at present, he would cope with that.

I wish that someday I saw a player like him. But all the players compared with him didn't have match him at all. It is hard to find a player so strong, talented, coordinated, focussed like him. Besides, he rarely felt injured, which is very odd taking into account his physical features.

Hellcrooner
09-26-2013, 11:37 AM
mmmm

Center position now is Weaker than when YOUNG Shaq got MANHANDLED i his early days ( just check Hakeem ridiculing him in the finals).

But it is also STRONGER than in shaqs Hayday during the first 00s.

valade16
09-26-2013, 11:41 AM

What? Tim Duncan has guarded Shaq before and probably did about as good a job as possible against him.

FlashBolt
09-26-2013, 12:47 PM

He is, but he's not extraordinary godlike. Why do you guys act like numbers are the whole thing. Watch the games, it's much more different. Centers were like 1st option every time. It's changed to where guards dominate and three point shooting is highly prized. I don't understand, how can you 100% guarantee Shaq would've been so dominant? You can make assumptions but we'll never know.. Just like how many say Wilt could dominate Shaq, is there legitimate proof?

ddt
09-26-2013, 03:15 PM
He would kill everyone. Barbeque Chicken! lol. No one will be able to defend him today. Too big, too strong, too good.

Sandman
09-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Unsure. His first move was often putting his ***/back into a defender. I think he'd get killed for offensive fouls.

shep33
09-26-2013, 03:41 PM
What? Tim Duncan has guarded Shaq before and probably did about as good a job as possible against him.

37 year old , leaner Timmy has no chance against a prime shaq

Heatcheck
09-26-2013, 03:45 PM
mmmm

Center position now is Weaker than when YOUNG Shaq got MANHANDLED i his early days ( just check Hakeem ridiculing him in the finals).

But it is also STRONGER than in shaqs Hayday during the first 00s.

he outplayed him, but he didn't ridicule anyone.

FlashBolt
09-26-2013, 04:28 PM

You did say before, and Shaq did say Timmy always got to him.

mrblisterdundee
09-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Any argument based on what referees might do is usually pretty weak.
Shaquille O'Neal would offensively dominate most of the great centers in NBA history, much less the centers of today, in the paint.
He was never all that amazing defensively he was simply huge in the paint. His only real blockbuster defensive season was 1999-00, and he never made the NBA All-Defensive 1st Team. I don't think he'd be much better today, defensively, than he ever was.
But I still think he could force in more than 25 points per 36 minutes while making more than 57 percent of his shot attempts. He could still block 2.5 shots and 10-13 rebounds per game not because he's defensively skilled, but because he's Shaq-sized.

Chronz
09-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Shaquille O'Neal would offensively dominate most of the great centers in NBA history, much less the centers of today, in the paint.
He was never all that amazing defensively – he was simply huge in the paint. His only real blockbuster defensive season was 1999-00, and he never made the NBA All-Defensive 1st Team. I don't think he'd be much better today, defensively, than he ever was.
But I still think he could force in more than 25 points per 36 minutes while making more than 57 percent of his shot attempts. He could still block 2.5 shots and 10-13 rebounds per game – not because he's defensively skilled, but because he's Shaq-sized.

You underrate his defense, skill doesn't matter for **** when compared to IMPACT.

b@llhog24
09-27-2013, 03:18 PM
pretty much similar to what he did.

+1

valade16
09-27-2013, 03:47 PM

You did say before, and Shaq did say Timmy always got to him.

Exactly. You were talking about Tim Duncan back in his prime. One of the better defenders ever.

ewing
09-27-2013, 03:52 PM
He was never all that amazing defensively – he was simply huge in the paint. His only real blockbuster defensive season was 1999-00, and he never made the NBA All-Defensive 1st Team. I don't think he'd be much better today, defensively, than he ever was.
But I still think he could force in more than 25 points per 36 minutes while making more than 57 percent of his shot attempts. He could still block 2.5 shots and 10-13 rebounds per game – not because he's defensively skilled, but because he's Shaq-sized.

I think he would worse defensively. The game is more open now and centers are ask to rotate more. Shaq was never very big on moving his big *** out of the paint of D. He would still put up the #s and be and br dominate though

rjkgr
09-27-2013, 03:53 PM
he would be killing there is no center in the league right now that can stop him every single time! its just if wilt came back too! i dont think anyone can stop him

Chronz
09-27-2013, 04:03 PM
He is, but he's not extraordinary godlike.
OK?

Why do you guys act like numbers are the whole thing.
Im sorry but what numbers did I give? I explained my stance with a subjective comparison of how the 2 faired vs similar opponents and how differently I felt they had to be defended.

Watch the games, it's much more different.
Cliches will get you nowhere, YOU are the one bringing up stats, I on the other hand gave examples from games Ive seen.

Centers were like 1st option every time.
LMFAO no. Just the ones good enough to be so.

It's changed to where guards dominate and three point shooting is highly prized. I don't understand, how can you 100% guarantee Shaq would've been so dominant? You can make assumptions but we'll never know.. Just like how many say Wilt could dominate Shaq, is there legitimate proof?
Cool story bro but that doesn't stop us from projecting? Dont really care about what you define as legitimate proof, sounds like anything short of a time machine will not suffice for you. All I KNOW is that Shaq was demonstrably better than Dwight.

Chronz
09-27-2013, 04:09 PM
I think he would worse defensively. The game is more open now and centers are ask to rotate more. Shaq was never very big on moving his big *** out of the paint of D. He would still put up the #s and be and br dominate though
Centers are asked to do whatever their system requires, that system is predicated on the roster. A guy like Hibbert is arguably the most valuable defender in the game because of what he does to LeBron (Yao did the same thing back in his hey) and thats from less impressive/mobile/strong athlete. Shaq when motivated was capable of defending, that motivation was up and down tho. Gimme a motivated Shaq, and he could still anchor an elite defense. Hes prone to giving up mid range jumpers, thankfully thats the least efficient aspect of scoring.

ewing
09-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Centers are asked to do whatever their system requires, that system is predicated on the roster. A guy like Hibbert is arguably the most valuable defender in the game because of what he does to LeBron (Yao did the same thing back in his hey) and thats from less impressive/mobile/strong athlete. Shaq when motivated was capable of defending, that motivation was up and down tho. Gimme a motivated Shaq, and he could still anchor an elite defense. Hes prone to giving up mid range jumpers, thankfully thats the least efficient aspect of scoring.

Silly me thinking that who you were playing, how they play, and how the game is called matters. I don't think i ever saw Shaq trap and recover on a screen roll the way Yao would or Roy does all day. He didn't rotate like Roy Hibbard b/c Roy Hibbard is a better defender.

Chronz
09-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Silly me thinking that who you were playing, how they play, and how the game is called matters.
Silly me for not taking your word as gospel. We are both doing the same thing bro, we just disagree on what we think we are seeing.

I don't think i ever saw Shaq trap and recover on a screen roll the way Yao would or Roy does all day.
uhh wat? Yao was AWFUL at recovering, JVG (Yao's coach) made a point to bring up the value of a Chuck Hayes, and Im paraphrasing but it was something along the lines of "when your anchor lacks footspeed, you compensate for that with the players around him" or something. And as bad or inconsistent as Shaq was, he a better PnR defender than Yao ever was, particularly before the toe/weight issues. Didn't stop the Rockets from being elite defensively, a byproduct of Yao's presence despite this weakness. Yao was out of his element on the perimeter, depending on the roster around him, is how he defended the play. The difference in how JVG and Adelman defended the PnR with Yao was slightly different as well.

And please stop exaggerating, you and I both know that even the worst defenders can have glimpses of brilliance so the whole, "I dont think I ever saw...." just makes it sound like you dont see much of Shaq.

He didn't rotate like Roy Hibbard b/c Roy Hibbard is a better defender.
I buy that for their careers, but not vs peak Shaq, but we can ignore all objective evidence and subjective recognition if you want.

TheMightyHumph
09-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Probably the most dominant peak of any player ever, how would he do now? Sure he would face far lesser competition than he did in his prime BUT he would also face less favorable reffing. With as quick as refs are to call touch fouls now and offensive fouls I see tons of games where he fouls out. I also wonder if the more perimeter based game would give him issues.

Numbers wise what do you think he would put up? Would he be the best right now, even better than Lebron? Could he anchor a dynasty as the guy being built around in this day and age?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewBnHq04CRg

With Shaq, you can't tell. It would be a different time, with the rules interpreted differently, and he probably wouldn't get away with the illegalities that he got away with when he first entered the league, as media coverage is so much greater now, and his entering the league at this point wouldn't be as much of a big deal as it was when he did enter.

I would expect a lot more offensive fouls and travelling violations called on him, but I still expect he'd be shooting a LOT OF FTs.

MTar786
09-27-2013, 09:36 PM
firstly shaq would be the best player in the league right now and it wouldnt be close. shaq would make any team a contender. he was unbelievable. but why im posting is because i see some people are saying that the centers of today are better than the ones from 2000? ummm.. im at a loss for words with that. 2000 centers are wayyy better than todays. and thats not saying much. because 2000 was when centers were disappearing. but anyway.. look.

2000 centers.
shaq
mutombo
zo
vlade
old sabonis
old d-rob
old hakeem
old ewing

those guys are much better quality than what we have today. hibbert and gasol aren't as good as mutombo or zo. not to mention shaq. infact our premier center dwight isnt even as good as zo.

Clippersfan86
09-27-2013, 09:41 PM
firstly shaq would be the best player in the league right now and it wouldnt be close. shaq would make any team a contender. he was unbelievable. but why im posting is because i see some people are saying that the centers of today are better than the ones from 2000? ummm.. im at a loss for words with that. 2000 centers are wayyy better than todays. and thats not saying much. because 2000 was when centers were disappearing. but anyway.. look.

2000 centers.
shaq
mutombo
zo
vlade
old sabonis
old d-rob
old hakeem
old ewing

those guys are much better quality than what we have today. hibbert and gasol aren't as good as mutombo or zo. not to mention shaq. infact our premier center dwight isnt even as good as zo.

Why did you leave Ben Wallace and Yao off the list? Those were the 2nd and 3rd best centers of the 2000's to Shaq. I think the best of the best centers last decade were better but this center crop is much deeper, with much more upside.

celtics86
09-28-2013, 05:20 AM
less big men, yet stronger team defenses.

I think he'd foul out of games quite a bit more, but his numbers would stay the same or better.

Basically he'd rape most of the guys in the league.

ewing
09-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Silly me for not taking your word as gospel. We are both doing the same thing bro, we just disagree on what we think we are seeing.

uhh wat? Yao was AWFUL at recovering, JVG (Yao's coach) made a point to bring up the value of a Chuck Hayes, and Im paraphrasing but it was something along the lines of "when your anchor lacks footspeed, you compensate for that with the players around him" or something. And as bad or inconsistent as Shaq was, he a better PnR defender than Yao ever was, particularly before the toe/weight issues. Didn't stop the Rockets from being elite defensively, a byproduct of Yao's presence despite this weakness. Yao was out of his element on the perimeter, depending on the roster around him, is how he defended the play. The difference in how JVG and Adelman defended the PnR with Yao was slightly different as well.

And please stop exaggerating, you and I both know that even the worst defenders can have glimpses of brilliance so the whole, "I dont think I ever saw...." just makes it sound like you dont see much of Shaq.

I buy that for their careers, but not vs peak Shaq, but we can ignore all objective evidence and subjective recognition if you want.

But i never saw Shaq trap and recover on a high screen roll in my life.

celtics86
09-28-2013, 10:09 AM
But i never saw Shaq trap and recover on a high screen roll in my life.

youre also a dumb racist who thinks high quality basketball is fake cross overs and 44 % shooting from the field and all that inner city crap.

Shaq > Kobe and always has been and always will be. I never saw Kobe pass the ball either....

Hellcrooner
09-28-2013, 10:16 AM

2000 centers.
shaq
mutombo OLD ad worn down.
zo ILL
vlade OLD and worn down
old AND INJURED sabonis
old d-rob
VERY old hakeem
VERY old ewing

Sorry, but taking Shaq appart im taking Dwight, Marc, Noah , Lopez, Hibbert over the old and injured ad worn down versions of those centers in the 2000-2002 period.

True Sports Fan
09-28-2013, 10:44 AM
A bench warmer for top teams. He wasn't exactly dominant when he retired almost 4 yrs ago

I'm pretty sure this thread is based on him playing in his prime.. In 2010-2011 he averaged 9.2 PPG, as a 38 year old in the NBA, that's pretty damn solid. And he did it efficiently of course.

NYKnicks4511
09-28-2013, 11:52 AM

Really? I'd probably take Mutombo, Sabonis, Ben Wallace, Robinson etc. over this crop of centers. Though I think that he'd have a tough time against a physical player like Marc Gasol.

ewing
09-28-2013, 01:02 PM
youre also a dumb racist who thinks high quality basketball is fake cross overs and 44 % shooting from the field and all that inner city crap.

Shaq > Kobe and always has been and always will be. I never saw Kobe pass the ball either....

i'm white and know a peak shaq was better then Kobe and both were way better then AI. u madd?

MTar786
09-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Why did you leave Ben Wallace and Yao off the list? Those were the 2nd and 3rd best centers of the 2000's to Shaq. I think the best of the best centers last decade were better but this center crop is much deeper, with much more upside.

oh thats cuz i was referring to the year 2000. but iff u mean early 2000's it becomes even less of an argument as you proved

MTar786
09-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Sorry, but taking Shaq appart im taking Dwight, Marc, Noah , Lopez, Hibbert over the old and injured ad worn down versions of those centers in the 2000-2002 period.

lol you do know that those players were doing better numbers than your guys at their very old age? drob was getting 18 and 10, ewing 15 and 10 zo did 22 and 10. pretty great for an 'ill' guy?? not to mention zo and dribs defense were still better than any of the guys u mention. brooke lopez cant even average a double double. noah is good. but on the level of a 2000 mutombo.

celtics86
09-28-2013, 02:26 PM
i'm white and know a peak shaq was better then Kobe and both were way better then AI. u madd?

rofl. then you're one of those white guys that pretends to be black. I bet you wear a du-rag.

am I "madd". first, you can't spell for ****. second, what you just said is what 11 y/o chode losers say as a passive aggressive way to avoid conflict but still save face and show how "bad" you are you to instigate something.

problem is in real life i'd punch you in the ****in face. yea i'm mad. and? what next. is there a follow up grade school line you use. or did you not expect a grown *** man to admit he's a bit pissed talking to an immature annoying douche...

yes, i'm slightly mad/perturbed at what a douche you are. what's funny is that YOU are WAY "madder" than me...

playing it cool doesn't make you cool...it makes you a f*g and a poser and a wannabe...

i'd say come at me bro...but i'd sound like you....and you wouldn't have the nuts to "come at me" in real life anyways. so just stfu and quit talking to me...

ewing
09-28-2013, 02:43 PM
rofl. then you're one of those white guys that pretends to be black. I bet you wear a du-rag.

am I "madd". first, you can't spell for ****. second, what you just said is what 11 y/o chode losers say as a passive aggressive way to avoid conflict but still save face and show how "bad" you are you to instigate something.

problem is in real life i'd punch you in the ****in face. yea i'm mad. and? what next. is there a follow up grade school line you use. or did you not expect a grown *** man to admit he's a bit pissed talking to an immature annoying douche...

yes, i'm slightly mad/perturbed at what a douche you are. what's funny is that YOU are WAY "madder" than me...

playing it cool doesn't make you cool...it makes you a f*g and a poser and a wannabe...

i'd say come at me bro...but i'd sound like you....and you wouldn't have the nuts to "come at me" in real life anyways. so just stfu and quit talking to me...

why don't you like me?

RLundi
09-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Anyone that doesn't think Shaq would at least be as dominant is very, very foolish.

celtics86
09-28-2013, 03:29 PM
why don't you like me?

b/c you were a lil meanie to me...and it hurted my feelings.

basically...

unless youre being sarcastic right now. in which case bugger off please...I don't actually prefer arguments. they're taxing obviously...

EL_MACHETE
09-28-2013, 11:01 PM
A prime Shaq in Okc would be Deadly!!

Pg- Westbrook / Jackson
Sg- Sefo / Lamb
Sf- Durant / Jones / Robinson
Pf- Ibaka / Collison
C- Shaq / Orton / Thabeet

Clippersfan86
09-28-2013, 11:42 PM
Really? I'd probably take Mutombo, Sabonis, Ben Wallace, Robinson etc. over this crop of centers. Though I think that he'd have a tough time against a physical player like Marc Gasol.

As I said earlier... the best of the best centers of the 00 decade were better (Shaq, Yao, Wallace etc) but this center crop is much deeper with more upside. Right now there are at least 15-20 centers who already are all stars or have all star potential.

ghettosean
09-29-2013, 12:19 AM
He would completely dominate and be the talk of the league... Shaq was and in this era still would be completely ungaurdable... They had to change the rules in the league because of this guy... Dwight, a healthy Bynum, Cousins, The Gasols would all be eaten alive by this man... If anyone of them dared to try and stop him from dunking they would be on there ***** or in the locker room getting medical attention... LOL

SeoulBeatz
09-29-2013, 01:32 AM
You can put a prime Shaq on any team in the NBA and they'd be a title contender. Pretty bad centers when we were dominating in the early 2000s... but now, most teams don't even have a true starting center

There's no big man in today's game that could defend Shaq. Prime Duncan did a fine job, but PRIME Shaq in the league today would be a ****ing joke.

The traditional C has been completely disregarded, I don't see how any team could stop him.

Just watch any GAME footage of shaq from 97-2002.

I actually implore everybody who has forgotten just how freakishly dominant this man was to go back and watch ANY of his game tapes. There may never be another big man as physically dominant as him.

Chronz
09-29-2013, 01:40 AM
Prime Duncan did an OK job, but he always had his best success against Shaq when D-Rob was around to do most of the heavy lifting. To this day I believe Shaq played a role in his back problems.

Clippersfan86
09-29-2013, 01:53 AM
There's no big man in today's game that could defend Shaq. Prime Duncan did a fine job, but PRIME Shaq in the league today would be a ****ing joke.

The traditional C has been completely disregarded, I don't see how any team could stop him.

Just watch any GAME footage of shaq from 97-2002.

I actually implore everybody who has forgotten just how freakishly dominant this man was to go back and watch ANY of his game tapes. There may never be another big man as physically dominant as him.

Don't need to do 97 and up. In Orlando by his 2nd and 3rd season he was already putting up 29+ ppg. That was in 94 and 95.

Chronz
09-29-2013, 01:57 AM
Don't need to do 97 and up. In Orlando by his 2nd and 3rd season he was already putting up 29+ ppg. That was in 94 and 95.

His floor game wasn't where it would wind up tho, similar stats but he was more reliant on Penny back then IMO. Its the intangibles argument you love, Shaq was always a beast, but he was a slightly different animal with LA.

Kushed
09-29-2013, 02:43 AM

if you don't care why did you take the time to write out a decently long paragraph? lol

Goose17
09-29-2013, 05:29 AM
He would still be owning the league. Physically he is probably the most dominant player ever. Absolute monster.

More small ball being played these days too, that would be fun to watch Shaq play against.

amos1er
09-29-2013, 03:51 PM
I would say that Shaq would be even more dominant. Much less competition in terms of big men than there was back then.

amos1er
09-29-2013, 03:54 PM
He would completely dominate and be the talk of the league... Shaq was and in this era still would be completely ungaurdable... They had to change the rules in the league because of this guy... Dwight, a healthy Bynum, Cousins, The Gasols would all be eaten alive by this man... If anyone of them dared to try and stop him from dunking they would be on there ***** or in the locker room getting medical attention... LOL

Correct once again sir. I always thought you were one of the rare good posters on this site and once again I am proven right. Nice to know that not everyone on this site is a Lebron nutthugging chub handler. Cheers. Oh and nice sig.

amos1er
09-29-2013, 03:57 PM
if you don't care why did you take the time to write out a decently long paragraph? lol

Lol. I love when people take the time to tell you they don't care. Hahaha So funny perfect example of an oxymoron. If only people realized.

D_Rose1118
09-29-2013, 06:06 PM
are people already asking this question?????

i was laughing when people ask if MJ would be as good today but now people are saying shaq also?? now im dying!

not even answering the question, if you know the NBA you know the answer

JordansBulls
10-10-2013, 12:42 AM
More dominant than he was in 2000.

Tony_Starks
10-10-2013, 01:00 AM
About the same. As great as he was people forget Shaq was very lazy and very petty. Him and Penny shouldve had a dynasty in Orlando....