PDA

View Full Version : Fab five (University of Michigan) opinions

PurpleLynch
09-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Today I stumbled upon this documentary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0n3VtxfrRM

I want to know your opinions about this team,considered by a lot of people the best class in history.Never seen them "live" since I'm too young. But I know that they lost the "crucials" games in their career in college.

JasonJohnHorn
09-26-2013, 07:37 AM
It was a bummer that the lost in the finals twice in a row, but that said, that is a HOF team in my opinion. They were likely the greatest college team ever. If they have a 7-game series against any other college team, I think they would win.

Even if they weren't the best team though, they did change the culture of basketball, especially in college the fact that they made Michigan SO MUCH money and made none themselves, I think that changed the way young guys coming up viewed the college game. More guys came out early after Webber (though that had been happening for years) and soon guys started coming straight from high school.

Huge impact. Great to watch. Historic team.

ewing
09-26-2013, 10:46 AM
It was a bummer that the lost in the finals twice in a row, but that said, that is a HOF team in my opinion. They were likely the greatest college team ever. If they have a 7-game series against any other college team, I think they would win.

Even if they weren't the best team though, they did change the culture of basketball, especially in college the fact that they made Michigan SO MUCH money and made none themselves, I think that changed the way young guys coming up viewed the college game. More guys came out early after Webber (though that had been happening for years) and soon guys started coming straight from high school.

Best class. Definitely, not the best team though. I mean when you at teams like the Jordan, Perkins, Worthy tarheels. DC, Sherm, Skiley, Owens and the cuse PP, Vaughn. Montross, LeFrence at KU. and the teams they lost too were damn good too. I don't even think they were the best team not to win a NCAA title

Pierzynski4Prez
09-26-2013, 11:11 AM
UNC mid 90s had some sick teams too with Stackhouse and Rasheed coming in together, Jamison and VC 2 years later. I just wish Stackhouse and Sheed would have stayed another year so that the 4 of them played together

CavsYanksDuke
09-26-2013, 11:53 AM
They lost then twenty years later then claimed the team that beat them recruited nothing but Uncle Toms.

Overhyped punks that took money under the table and are bitter aboit losing. More worried about image than anything else.

scissors
09-26-2013, 11:56 AM

:eyebrow:

PurpleLynch
09-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Too harsh man,they were not overhyped at all. They arrived to the Finals against Duke playing 5 freshmen:that is enough to be considered among best teams in Ncaa. They trash talked a lot,but it was their style,it's sport,not a game of chess (I enjoy playing chess though. :) )

ddt
09-26-2013, 03:08 PM
They could beat the Charlotte bobcats! lol. But, I've also watched this docu last week. They're arrogant, trash talkers but surely they can back it up. C-webb was a beast!

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Best class. Definitely, not the best team though. I mean when you at teams like the Jordan, Perkins, Worthy tarheels. DC, Sherm, Skiley, Owens and the cuse PP, Vaughn. Montross, LeFrence at KU. and the teams they lost too were damn good too. I don't even think they were the best team on to win a NCAA title

While I agree with you with them not being the best team ever. How do you mention those teams that you did and not metion Bill Walton's Bruins, or Lew Alicindor's Bruins?

Lew Alcindors Bruins went 88-2 in 3 years.

Bill Waltons Bruins had an 88 game winning streak, and did lose for nearly 3 full seasons...

MrfadeawayJB
09-26-2013, 03:35 PM
One of the funnest NCAA teams to watch ever

ewing
09-26-2013, 03:43 PM
While I agree with you with them not being the best team ever. How do you mention those teams that you did and not metion Bill Walton's Bruins, or Lew Alicindor's Bruins?

Lew Alcindors Bruins went 88-2 in 3 years.

Bill Waltons Bruins had an 88 game winning streak, and did lose for nearly 3 full seasons...

never saw those guys play

ewing
09-26-2013, 03:44 PM
UNC mid 90s had some sick teams too with Stackhouse and Rasheed coming in together, Jamison and VC 2 years later. I just wish Stackhouse and Sheed would have stayed another year so that the 4 of them played together

Stack and Sheed were off the charts at UNC

sc8581
09-27-2013, 03:22 AM
I prefer the Thad Five myself. College basketball was great in the 90s in my opinion despite of the Fab Five, they were super talented but a bunch of boneheads.

arlubas
09-27-2013, 07:17 AM
Historic team. You truly can't fully realize the impact that team had on popular culture back then unless you experienced it yourself. During their first season they stood no chance against that well oiled Duke machine of a team. Being in the final game was an achievement all by itself. Next year they should've won it though. Yes the Heels had the team concept down but the talent difference was so large they should've snatched that one. But if it wasn't for Webber's mental breakdown they would've been the champs.

So it was more of they overachieved in their first season and didn't meet expectations during the second one but they are still one of the most important teams in terms of overall influence and talent level. True, C-Webb was the beast of that team but Juwan Howard was not far behind him back then. In fact he was considered one of the best players in the nation back in HS. And for people claiming they were punks and arrogant, yes they were. And that's the main reason most of us liked them so much during our adolescence.

Besides who can forget their shorts or this piece of shoe history? I was the happiest kid on earth when I bought them and balled in them for the first time.

http://4.nicekicks.com/wp/files/2013/01/Nike-Air-Force-Max-2013-Fab-5-Available-Now.jpg

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-27-2013, 10:11 AM
never saw those guys play

Oh, I didn't know it was only teams we watched play. My faaaault. :hi5:

ewing
09-27-2013, 10:14 AM
Oh, I didn't know it was only teams we watched play. My faaaault. :hi5:

i sure you are right. I think talking about teams or player you never saw is kinda dumb

DreamShaker
09-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Unforgettable team. Had a huge impact on culture and style, set themselves apart from everyone else. Obviously the timeout, the scandal, and Webber leaving after only two years hurt on the court, but kinda added to the nature of their legend. They were brash, arrogant, misguided, talented, unique, impactful, and controversial. But they are also, to the casual fan at least, the most memorable college basketball team of the past 25 years. For better or worse.