PDA

View Full Version : Wilt Chamberlain A Freak At Age 50

JNA17
09-25-2013, 04:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAyN1LZNXfw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

To think that there are actually people that think this guy wouldn't be able to handle today's era of basketball. At age 50 in today's NBA, he would probably run circles around the best big men of today.

Leftcoast_yg
09-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Unbelievable shape for a man that age

NYKnickFanatic
09-25-2013, 04:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAyN1LZNXfw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

To think that there are actually people that think this guy wouldn't be able to handle today's era of basketball. At age 50 in today's NBA, he would probably run circles around the best big men of today.

Let us not get carried away now...

DreamShaker
09-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Wow. He looked exactly the same. I heard stories about his bench press at that age. I honestly think he had the athletic ability to play in any era. Dude was a track athlete and a horse.

DreamShaker
09-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Yeah. The stamina at that age just would not measure up.

CavaliersFTW
09-25-2013, 05:14 PM
He ran marathons at that age and played professional volleyball. Also, played pickup games against Magic Johnson and other NBA players at UCLA gym and still dominated them.

slaker619
09-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Crazy

jstone0716
09-25-2013, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't doubt his dominance in this era.. just doubt his ability to put up such inflated numbers. He could probably average 25/16/5 at the very max. Definitely don't see him ever putting up 100 or grabbing 50 boards.

JNA17
09-25-2013, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't doubt his dominance in this era.. just doubt his ability to put up such inflated numbers. He could probably average 25/16/5 at the very max. Definitely don't see him ever putting up 100 or grabbing 50 boards.

I doubt he would average that many points either but IMO I think for him, it's more than fair to say that prime Wilt in today's era would pull in 30+/16+/5. In Shaq's best year, he did almost 30/14/3. A guy like Wilt can easily pull that off today in his prime.

Hawkeye15
09-25-2013, 08:39 PM
who thinks he wouldn't have been awesome today?

As dominant? No. But a HOF talent? Yeppers.

IndyRealist
09-25-2013, 09:07 PM

In his prime vs. last year's Bobcats or Magic? Neither team had anyone remotely capable of guarding him.

shep33
09-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Freak of nature. Everyone says LBJ is the best athlete ever (NBA)... but this guy is right there

kobe4thewinbang
09-25-2013, 09:36 PM
So, what? He's into S&M or something?

Raps18-19 Champ
09-25-2013, 09:37 PM
He would'nt have been the statistical freak that he was, but he'd easily be a HOF in today's league in his prime.

Dominant at 50 years old in today's leauge, you are getting carried away.

Chronz
09-25-2013, 09:53 PM
who thinks he wouldn't have been awesome today?

As dominant? No. But a HOF talent? Yeppers.

What makes you think he wouldn't be as dominant? He could easily be more dominant considering the rules favor athletic advantages more now than they did in his era where he couldn't really use his brute strength. And given that the NBA game has progressed, there would be less confusion on how to utilize Wilt.

Chronz
09-25-2013, 09:54 PM
He would'nt have been the statistical freak that he was, but he'd easily be a HOF in today's league in his prime.

Dominant at 50 years old in today's leauge, you are getting carried away.
Your looking at the wrong stats if you think Wilt was a statistical freak. MJ had superior statistics for instance. He would however be a freak and even better athletically given the advances.

torocan
09-26-2013, 09:41 AM
On the right team even at 50 Wilt would have been very impressive on the court.

Put him in a medium to slow paced offense, take away hand checking, and you have one scary dude. His body wouldn't have the same resilience in terms of wear and tear at 50, but I have no doubt he would have been fine in terms of endurance (he was still running marathons at 50).

I think "dominate" would be overstating it a bit, but there really aren't that many big men that can slow a guy like Wilt down in the paint in today's game.

ewing
09-26-2013, 10:28 AM
everyone knows human evolution makes significant jumps every 10 years. :shrug:

Heatcheck
09-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Athletes are much bigger nowadays and more athletic on average. hard to think he'd be the same, but he could very well be the best big man in the league. you can save all that "the most intimidating player ever" crap, your not intimidating **** nowadays.

miller74
09-26-2013, 11:00 AM
He needed to stay in shape for all that tang he was crushing.

Hawkeye15
09-26-2013, 11:27 AM
What makes you think he wouldn't be as dominant? He could easily be more dominant considering the rules favor athletic advantages more now than they did in his era where he couldn't really use his brute strength. And given that the NBA game has progressed, there would be less confusion on how to utilize Wilt.

imo, the level of athletes now is so much better across the league than in his time, it would help neutralize at the very least the advantages you bring up.

scissors
09-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Yeah. The stamina at that age just would not measure up.

Ask the ladies.

Chronz
09-26-2013, 12:08 PM
On the right team even at 50 Wilt would have been very impressive on the court.

Put him in a medium to slow paced offense, take away hand checking, and you have one scary dude. His body wouldn't have the same resilience in terms of wear and tear at 50, but I have no doubt he would have been fine in terms of endurance (he was still running marathons at 50).

I think "dominate" would be overstating it a bit, but there really aren't that many big men that can slow a guy like Wilt down in the paint in today's game.
Wilt at 50 wouldn't dominate man thats too much, just making the league is unthinkable

Chronz
09-26-2013, 12:11 PM

imo, the level of athletes now is so much better across the league than in his time, it would help neutralize at the very least the advantages you bring up.
Dont see how considering he'd still be more athletic himself in this era and he would actually get to use his brute strength.

FlashBolt
09-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Dont see how considering he'd still be more athletic himself in this era and he would actually get to use his brute strength.

C'mon, Wilt was Wilt's competition. Anyone else was just a pawn when he was out there. He would not look as impressive in today's league because players are just better.

Hawkeye15
09-26-2013, 01:42 PM

because he would be going against athletes that are far superior in speed and strength today. He would probably the best athlete in the league today, but it wouldn't be by a mile like in his day. I simply think that neutralizes the advantages you bring up, which I do agree with mostly.

ddt
09-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Beast! One of few players who can play on todays game and dominate.

JayW_1023
09-26-2013, 05:12 PM
70% of his workout regimen was between the sheets. Go figure.

Chronz
09-26-2013, 06:18 PM
because he would be going against athletes that are far superior in speed and strength today. He would probably the best athlete in the league today, but it wouldn't be by a mile like in his day. I simply think that neutralizes the advantages you bring up, which I do agree with mostly.
We're going in circles, agree to disagree because I dont buy these theories. Every athlete from yesteryear would be more athletic in the modern era. Lenny Wilkens said it best, yea these guys are faster, but we would be too if we got to enjoy all modern advancements applicable today. Then you get into the stylistic differences (Wilt actually being able to bulldoze people ala Shaq) that allow him to assert his advantages even more.

I mean far superior? LMFAO does human evolution progress so rapidly? Thats not very scientific but you're welcome to that opinion.

Hawkeye15
09-26-2013, 08:18 PM
We're going in circles, agree to disagree because I dont buy these theories. Every athlete from yesteryear would be more athletic in the modern era. Lenny Wilkens said it best, yea these guys are faster, but we would be too if we got to enjoy all modern advancements applicable today. Then you get into the stylistic differences (Wilt actually being able to bulldoze people ala Shaq) that allow him to assert his advantages even more.

I mean far superior? LMFAO does human evolution progress so rapidly? Thats not very scientific but you're welcome to that opinion.

Wilt, athletically, was in a class of his own. For the time. We are going in circles, because I believe that while Wilt would be an even better athlete now with the advanced training methods and nutrition, he just wouldn't own the complete and utter distance he had over everyone during his time. I think it negates your very real points.

Meaning, Wilt is still a top 5 player ever most likely, but in a sliding scale, he isn't all of a sudden catching Mike.

Chronz
09-26-2013, 09:36 PM

Wilt, athletically, was in a class of his own. For the time. We are going in circles, because I believe that while Wilt would be an even better athlete now with the advanced training methods and nutrition, he just wouldn't own the complete and utter distance he had over everyone during his time. I think it negates your very real points.

Meaning, Wilt is still a top 5 player ever most likely, but in a sliding scale, he isn't all of a sudden catching Mike.
He couldn't use all that strength in that nba tho. And if Wilt was in a lg all his own and you agree he would improve as an athlete today then how would he not remain in a lg all his own? I would understand your point if you feel his athleticism would remain stagnant but if he improved along with everyone else, how is it that different? not buying this exaggeration of FAR better athletes, as it goes against what we have observed in human evolution.

Wilt would surpass MJ imo, his biggest weakness was that he was the man who landscaped the nba. had someone else done that, he would have learned from their lessons. Either way, not catching mj isnt the same critique you initially gave, you said he wouldnt be as good based on simple/exaggerated athletic differences

Hawkeye15
09-26-2013, 10:25 PM
He couldn't use all that strength in that nba tho. And if Wilt was in a lg all his own and you agree he would improve as an athlete today then how would he not remain in a lg all his own? I would understand your point if you feel his athleticism would remain stagnant but if he improved along with everyone else, how is it that different? not buying this exaggeration of FAR better athletes, as it goes against what we have observed in human evolution.

Wilt would surpass MJ imo, his biggest weakness was that he was the man who landscaped the nba. had someone else done that, he would have learned from their lessons. Either way, not catching mj isnt the same critique you initially gave, you said he wouldnt be as good based on simple/exaggerated athletic differences

You, nor I, have evidence to back our claims. Yes, the athletes in today's NBA are extremely better. Wilt would have been a better athlete, but I am under the belief that there is a max to an ability, and Wilt was not far off his, unlike his contemporaries.

Chronz
09-27-2013, 01:09 AM

You, nor I, have evidence to back our claims. Yes, the athletes in today's NBA are extremely better. Wilt would have been a better athlete, but I am under the belief that there is a max to an ability, and Wilt was not far off his, unlike his contemporaries.
Proof of what exactly? I can find alot of supporting evidence, its not as if players haven't played in multiple eras. Its not as if we can't look at athletic advances in specialized sports (like sprinting for instance), and quantify this evolutionary leap in the human race you seem so convinced of. Not to mention athletic ability is but 1 element, far from the determinant you seem to think it is.

DreamShaker
09-27-2013, 04:56 AM
Ask the ladies.

Touche sir. Talk about putting up stats. He bedded 23 women in 10 days. Not sure what I was thinking doubting the Stilt.

celtics86
09-28-2013, 02:44 AM
Wilt died b/c of a heart issue, the guy probably would've dropped dead after 10 mins of real pro play.

Always with the overrating of his abilities.

Did he keep in great shape for his age? Sure...mostly b/c he was narcissistic and obsessed with his self image and how people perceived him.

We saw how bad MJ's knees held up at 39. Wilt at 50 might've had a heart-attack on the floor no joke.

FlashBolt
09-28-2013, 02:52 AM
Proof of what exactly? I can find alot of supporting evidence, its not as if players haven't played in multiple eras. Its not as if we can't look at athletic advances in specialized sports (like sprinting for instance), and quantify this evolutionary leap in the human race you seem so convinced of. Not to mention athletic ability is but 1 element, far from the determinant you seem to think it is.

You can find evidence because you can go back in time and bring Wilt back into life in his prime to play in the modern era. Sorry I doubted you, Chronz. It's evident to us all now, isn't it?

Chronz
09-28-2013, 04:57 AM
You can find evidence because you can go back in time and bring Wilt back into life in his prime to play in the modern era. Sorry I doubted you, Chronz. It's evident to us all now, isn't it?
Reread the post. Notice the word SUPPORTING evidence.