PDA

View Full Version : Could you see Boston and Oakland playing each other in the ALDS/ALCS?

BSF101
09-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Yes or No and why or why not?

Pittz
09-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Sure because it's possible?

Sweet_Caroline
09-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Yeah, of course. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

BSF101
09-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Are any of you guys afraid of Facing Tampa, Detroit or possibly even Cleveland?

-Lavigne43-
09-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Why would anyone be afraid of facing Cleveland? Our greatest odds of advancing would be to face Cleveland in the ALDS, and the A's in the ALCS. No reason to be afraid of anyone though. Anyone who makes the playoffs is a good team that can beat us, but if we play well we can beat anybody. Whatever happens, happens. This is an extremely successful season no matter what.

AI
09-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Why would anyone be afraid of facing Cleveland? Our greatest odds of advancing would be to face Cleveland in the ALDS, and the A's in the ALCS. No reason to be afraid of anyone though. Anyone who makes the playoffs is a good team that can beat us, but if we play well we can beat anybody. Whatever happens, happens. This is an extremely successful season no matter what.

I would prefer not to face the A's or Rays honestly, they are always tough on us.

Could care less about Detroit or Cleveland, both are overrated.

BSF101
09-22-2013, 09:15 PM

Why not? I mean they could possibly be one of those AL teams no one gives a second thought about? That's all I was saying.

-Lavigne43-
09-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Why not? Because they are the worst team with a playoff spot right now. We'd have to play poorly to lose to Cleveland. I think best to worst with a playoff spot right now is clearly: Detroit-Rays-A's-Indians. Detroit is the only scary team with their playoff rotation and Miggy, if we make it to the ALCS we will probably be playing them. If Miggy is limited because of his injuries then the AL is pretty easy if we play well.

BSF101
09-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Why not? Because they are the worst team with a playoff spot right now. We'd have to play poorly to lose to Cleveland. I think best to worst with a playoff spot right now is clearly: Detroit-Rays-A's-Indians. Detroit is the only scary team with their playoff rotation and Miggy, if we make it to the ALCS we will probably be playing them. If Miggy is limited because of his injuries then the AL is pretty easy if we play well.

BTW who would Cleveland play today if the PO's started?

-Lavigne43-
09-22-2013, 10:14 PM
They would play at Tampa in a one game playoff, the winner playing us.

AI
09-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Having to face Price 3x in a series is not ideal, not when in the other games you get Moore and Cobb.

-Lavigne43-
09-22-2013, 11:30 PM
No one ever seems to use 1 starter 3 times in a series, I don't know the last team to do that. Price would probably start the 1 game playoff so he wouldn't be in position to do that.

BSF101
09-22-2013, 11:41 PM
They would play at Tampa in a one game playoff, the winner playing us.

I'll admit that would be hard for Cleveland to win.

bagwell368
09-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Give me the Indians.

TB is tough because of the pitching

Detroit is less scarey than most make them out to be.

Oakland however, hard to say why, but I would like to avoid them.

RedSoxtober
09-23-2013, 08:45 AM
FWIW, 2013 season series
CLE: 6-1
DET: 3-4
(KCR: 2-5)
OAK: 3-3
(TEX: 2-4)
TBR: 12-7

todu82
09-23-2013, 09:39 AM
In the playoffs anything can happen but I think Oakland would be a tough opponent for us in any round. We'll see how it all plays out.

Station 13
09-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Homefield advantage is huge if they meet Oakland in the ALCS. Avoid playing that dump to kick it off.

MG956
09-23-2013, 10:08 AM
If we face Cleveland > A's > Dodgers we will be facing quite a few of our old Red Sox players. You could field a pretty good team with former players & manager from those 3 teams.

-Lavigne43-
09-23-2013, 11:57 AM
A's are not a team I want to avoid. They have a nice record because they feasted on the Astros. If they were in the east they would not make the playoffs, they're similar to the O's. Nice offense, bleh pitching. If we play good we beat them, probably score a lot of runs. Tigers and Rays have the SP that can shut down our offense. The pressure will be on our SP if we face either of them.

Losing to the Indians would be the only way this season would feel a bit disappointing.

Celtic AL
09-23-2013, 01:48 PM
I rather play Cleveland or Detroit.

i'd say away from Oakland

BSF101
09-23-2013, 02:50 PM
I rather play Cleveland or Detroit.

i'd say away from Oakland

WOW you actually said something that wasn't an insult towards me for once.

BKdoubleStacker
09-23-2013, 05:24 PM
A's are not a team I want to avoid. They have a nice record because they feasted on the Astros. If they were in the east they would not make the playoffs, they're similar to the O's. Nice offense, bleh pitching. If we play good we beat them, probably score a lot of runs. Tigers and Rays have the SP that can shut down our offense. The pressure will be on our SP if we face either of them.

Losing to the Indians would be the only way this season would feel a bit disappointing.

is that a joke? The A's are 3-3 against the red sox, 3-3 against the rays, 4-3 against the tigers, 2-1 against the cardinals, 10-9 against the rangers, 5-1 against the royals, 5-1 against the yankees

the astros are bad, but the A's have played pretty well against playoff bound teams. If anything they would probably win more games in the NL

It would be a fun series though, I think it would be a very close series.

SirHizz
09-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Best match-up would be Cleveland. After that, most teams are pretty close. The Tigers have a great all-around team, but I am not afraid of their top 2-3 starters. The Rays rotation is scary, though, but our pitching is capanbel of shuting their offense down. A's are IMO the scariest team. Wouldn't really wanna face them, especially without HFA. Just a very sound team, from top to bottom. So the order looks like this:

1. Indians
2. Tigers
3. Rays
4. A's

matnautico
09-24-2013, 11:04 AM
No one ever seems to use 1 starter 3 times in a series, I don't know the last team to do that. Price would probably start the 1 game playoff so he wouldn't be in position to do that.

Last I can remember was the Yankees in 09'

-Lavigne43-
09-24-2013, 11:24 AM
is that a joke? The A's are 3-3 against the red sox, 3-3 against the rays, 4-3 against the tigers, 2-1 against the cardinals, 10-9 against the rangers, 5-1 against the royals, 5-1 against the yankees

the astros are bad, but the A's have played pretty well against playoff bound teams. If anything they would probably win more games in the NL

So? The Orioles are 9-7 against the Red Sox, 4-2 against the Tigers, 5-2 against the A's, 2-1 against the Dodgers, 5-2 against Texas. If they switched divisions with the A's they would probably win the west while the A's would likely miss the playoffs. Going a ridiculous 15-4 against the Astros isn't a minor thing.

The A's aren't scary at all to me because while they have a very nice offense, their pitching, other than Colon, looks like a perfect matchup for our offense. I feel like our pitching would have to be lousy to lose.

People say they are not scared of the Tigers, but if Miggy is right they are a better team than us.

RedSoxtober
09-24-2013, 12:03 PM

No, it's not at all a joke.

First, it's very clear that the A's laid waste to the Astros. They're +11 games against the Astros head-to-head and that's a pretty significant figure in their overall record (+31 games overall so it's more than 1/3 of the advantage plus another 6 games against the NL).

Second, tossing in numbers against the Tigers, Cardinals, Rangers, and Royals means absolutely NOTHING when evaluating how they would do in the AL East. You acknowledged 3-3 vs BOS, 5-1 vs NYY, and 3-3 vs TBR but (conveniently) omitted 2-5 vs BAL and 4-3 vs TOR. That makes them +2 within the division, a rather pedestrian total.

Third, it might also be nice to note that all six games against the Yankees came within the first 60 games of the season when they were struggling to get any of their projected starting lineup on the field. Granderson, A-Rod, Teixeira, etc were all missing and the Yankees were struggling against most opponents. They've scored 225 runs since Aug 1, more than 50% of their total through 7/31, in part from the return of those players. The chances that OAK held a 5-1 advantage in the season series if they'd played a series in Aug/Sep (as they have previously) is almost non-existent.

Fourth, you completely missed or overlooked the broader picture of what it would be to play in the AL East. The biggest issue when playing within a division is the familiarity of the batters with the pitchers that comes by way of the unbalanced schedule. Generally speaking, this favors the hitters and exposes pitchers who have lesser "stuff" but build up nice records against less familiar hitters. There are lots of examples of this but one of the most obvious is a guy like CC. Forget the fact that he's having an off year this year. The bigger pitcher is that he's 88-42, 3.52 ERA, 1.204 WHIP with three top five CYA finishes and a handful of top 15 MVP votes while in pinstripes (74-29, 3.22 ERA, 1.178 whip prior to this year for the Yankees). In short, pretty damn good. Against the Red Sox, however, he's 10-11, 4.73 era, 1.335 whip which is below league average. He doesn't suddenly suck against the Red Sox, the hitters are just more familiar with him and handle him better as a result. OAK has good-not-great pitching and coming to the AL East would mean that you'd face two of the most prolific scoring offenses, face them often enough for them to exploit your weaknesses, and face them throughout the season to even out any point-in-time advantages you might have.

All told, -Lav- is probably correct. It's no joke. The A's would be struggling to make the playoffs much like the similarly constructed Orioles if they were in the AL East.

Last I can remember was the Yankees in 09'

I thought the same thing (with CC). I remember that that year the playoffs were REALLY dragged out with lots of extra days off for the ALCS and WS favoring the AL champ. The Yankees pulled it off in large part due to the extra rest allowing them to go with a 3 man rotation. There were a ton of complaints that year and the baseball gods deemed them correct -- shorter series from 2010 onward so teams were effectively forced to go back to a four man rotation.

-Lavigne43-
09-24-2013, 01:36 PM
I don't want it sound like we're hating on Oakland either. They're a good team, they make the playoffs in the central. A's are good, Rays are good, O's are good, Indians are above average. Tigers are great, Red Sox are great. On paper the A's have very good hitting, questionable starting pitching. The Rays have very good pitching, questionable offense. Tigers have very good offense, and the best playoff rotation. Red Sox have the highest scoring offense, and a very good playoff rotation.

I like our chances vs anyone but Detroit, which to me, on paper, is a coin flip series. Tampa would worry me only because Price has shutdown our offense 3 times in a row.

RedSoxtober
09-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Agreed. The Sox continue to be stymied by LHP and TBR has some of the best in baseball right now.

SirHizz
09-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Well, getting to play the lowly Astros is a pretty huge advantage. So I wouldn't bank on Oakland making the post-season in the AL east. I think you can't give us enough props. It's the toughest division in baseball, hands down. Even the 4th place team is way above .500.
94 wins in the AL west is good, yet not great considering they have a 110 L, a well below .500 and another under .500 team in there.

Maybe the A's ain't as scary as we/some make them out to be, but I think especially HFA is important against them.
Afterall, the post-season is a crapshoot anyway. Some teams might have a higher percentage than others, but only by a very small margin. I wouldn't call us the overwhelming favorites in the AL and neither are the Tigers. We've seen that they can be beaten. He**, even Zito can win a playoff match-up against Verlander.

If you ask me, there is no real juggernaut-team in the league this year. Not the Dodgers, not the Cards, not the Tigers and not us. IF we get eliminated, I kinda want the A's to go all the way. They finally deserve a championship. Probably should have won one in the early 00's

ciaban
09-25-2013, 04:40 PM
I think Detroit's pitching shuts them down again.

ciaban
09-25-2013, 04:58 PM

By the looks of it, you have played .500 against playoff teams.

-Lavigne43-
09-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Tampa is starting to look really dangerous. They've gotten steaming hot and will be a challenge to beat in a 5 game set. I will be rooting hard for Cleveland.

Lackeyfan41
09-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Tampa is starting to look really dangerous. They've gotten steaming hot and will be a challenge to beat in a 5 game set. I will be rooting hard for Cleveland.
Definitely..

Towelie
09-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Thats if they make it Lav! Texas is heating up and could take it if the Rays lose again.

-Lavigne43-
09-28-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm praying for a threeway tie. That would be so awesome.

AI
09-28-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm praying the Rays miss the playoffs honestly and that we get to face Cleveland.

-Lavigne43-
09-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Rays getting crushed, Texas winning.

AI
09-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Rays getting crushed, Texas winning.

Does TEX own the tiebreaker vs TB?

-Lavigne43-
09-28-2013, 03:31 PM
No. I'm probably going to get this wrong but I believe Indians have both tiebreakers, Rays have the tiebreaker over the Rangers.

If it's a threeway tie Rays play Indians in game 1, loser plays Rangers in game 2 to get wild card 2

AI
09-28-2013, 06:19 PM
What a cluster****.

Oh and OAK losing 7-2 in the 7th, if the score holds up, we have HFA throughout the entire postseason.

-Lavigne43-
09-28-2013, 06:36 PM
I didn't post that because it's a jinx. F you AI, now it's 7-5.

-Lavigne43-
09-28-2013, 07:14 PM
A's lose, we play the wild card. We don't play until Friday which is a lot of time off.

RedSoxtober
09-29-2013, 08:33 AM
No. I'm probably going to get this wrong but I believe Indians have both tiebreakers, Rays have the tiebreaker over the Rangers.

If it's a threeway tie Rays play Indians in game 1, loser plays Rangers in game 2 to get wild card 2

There are no tie breakers per se for the WC. The only impact that they have is to determine who hosts the games, not who gets in. According to Pete Abraham, TEX owns the HF over the Rays...

In the event of a two-way tie between the Rangers and Rays for the second wild card berth, the tiebreaker game will be played on Monday at 8:07 p.m. (ET).

Texas holds the tiebreaker over Tampa Bay because of its 4-3 edge in the season series; thus, the Rangers would host a tiebreaker game against the Rays for the second wild card berth.

In the event of a three-way tie for both wild card spots, the first tiebreaker game, which would feature the Indians hosting the Rays, will be played on Monday at 4:07 p.m. (ET). The winner of Monday’s game would earn a wild card berth.

The second tiebreaker game, which would feature the Rangers hosting the loser of Monday’s game, will be played on Tuesday at 4:07 p.m. (ET). The winner of that game would earn the other wild card berth.

Personally I'd love to see the Rangers and Rays tie and have a play-in game. That'd be a pretty good guarantee that Price pitches only once in the ALDS and could reduce Moore to one start as well.

-Lavigne43-
09-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Ian Browne ‏@IanMBrowne 1m
Red Sox play game 1 Friday at 307 and Game 2 at 537.

**** this. Why would you have the most popular team play when most people are at work?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
09-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Ian Browne ‏@IanMBrowne 1m
Red Sox play game 1 Friday at 307 and Game 2 at 537.

**** this. Why would you have the most popular team play when most people are at work?

Probably something to do with the times or whatever. Oakland's locked in for that late game and I'd assume that they want people in LA to be able to watch the Dodgers so they'd give them the primetime spot.

Pittz
10-01-2013, 12:12 AM
No class or work Friday, wee. Maybe I'll try to get tickets, but I doubt I can afford them/find someone else willing to shell out a ton of dough.

bagwell368
10-01-2013, 07:41 AM
I want no part of TB. Indians please, and I think I'd rather Detroit than Oakland too.

GoldDustTwin
10-01-2013, 07:46 AM
I want no part of TB. Indians please, and I think I'd rather Detroit than Oakland too.

Especially with their rotation lined up for Moore on Friday and Price on Saturday - both on full rest. That's a tough proposition.

We need Francona to help us out.

AI
10-01-2013, 01:08 PM

Exactly this.

-Lavigne43-
10-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Sean McAdam ‏@Sean_McAdam 1m
Farrell notes Peavy and Buchholz will throw in sim game Wed. "Make of that what you will." Virtually guarantees Lester Game 1, Lackey Game 2

So
Lester vs Moore/Ubaldo
Lackey vs Price/Kluber
Buchholz vs Cobb/McAllistor
Peavey vs Archer/Kazmir

I could have gotten the Indians wrong. Maybe the Rays go with Hellickson