PDA

View Full Version : Jeanie Buss shares what really happened in Phil Jackson/D'Antoni chaos

JerseyPalahniuk
09-22-2013, 04:13 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-jeanie-buss-20130922,0,1692401,full.story#axzz2fedETsMF

Very interesting.

Reddit TL;DR:

Jim was the one who contacted Phil and Phil never made any of the crazy demands spouted by the media involving part ownership, salary, or travel accommodations. Bad for Lakers organization in the end since this public excerpt is Jeanie throwing it back to Jim in the open field.

ramsizzle
09-22-2013, 04:18 PM
she wants control of the team and is going to use the fans to do it.

ewing
09-22-2013, 04:35 PM
that team was a debacle regardless

JEDean89
09-22-2013, 05:14 PM
i truly believe phil would have been able to figure out how to convince dwight to stay

TrueFan420
09-22-2013, 05:25 PM
i truly believe phil would have been able to figure out how to convince dwight to stay

Agreed

PurpleLynch
09-22-2013, 05:40 PM

The question has to be "Did the Lakers really want to build around him with the upcoming Cba?"

RiceOnTheRun
09-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Even from a bystander's point of view, it seemed like they were only reaching out to Phil to say "we tried".

I doubt Phil would be worried about getting ownership or a large contract anyways. If he wanted to get paid, he could go to any team in the league and ask for a blank check. Ownership? He's engaged to Jeanie. That's all the ownership he'd need right there. Bad move by Mitch and Jim.

Tony_Starks
09-22-2013, 07:15 PM
One of the dumbest moves we've made that I ever witnessed. Then to do it over Antoni was so stupid it was almost funny...

ewing
09-22-2013, 08:13 PM

that is possible. Dwight is hardly has the skilled passer that Phil looks for in a big but he also would have had him under the basket where he is comfortable.

J4KOP99
09-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Dwight said he would have stayed if Phil was the coach so no need to ponder te what ifs.

Lakers ****ed up and now that this is out in the public, it will only get worse.

jam
09-22-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm a laker hater and yet I absolutely loathe jim buss. Everything about him just screams: "second rate." The dude has the fashion sense of a homeless person, and the IQ of a monkey.

The lakers are a premier sports franchise and one of the nba's perennial flagships. Having someone as inept as jim buss at the helm is bad business for everyone, not just the lakers.

It looks like jeannie is attempting to stage a coup d'etat, and jim is as vulnerable a target as they get, at least from a pr perspective.

Jeannie wants to be the sole buss in charge of the franchise, with phil as co-owner. The question is, how to oust jim? There's no way he leaves voluntarily.

amos1er
09-23-2013, 03:55 AM
I'm a laker hater and yet I absolutely loathe jim buss. Everything about him just screams: "second rate." The dude has the fashion sense of a homeless person, and the IQ of a monkey.

The lakers are a premier sports franchise and one of the nba's perennial flagships. Having someone as inept as jim buss at the helm is bad business for everyone, not just the lakers.

It looks like jeannie is attempting to stage a coup d'etat, and jim is as vulnerable a target as they get, at least from a pr perspective.

Jeannie wants to be the sole buss in charge of the franchise, with phil as co-owner. The question is, how to oust jim? There's no way he leaves voluntarily.

Phil is a genius tactician. This is the first bullet being fired. Phil is playing chess and Jim is playing checkers. It won't happen overnight, but I expect Jim to be heavily diminished in a year or two.

amos1er
09-23-2013, 03:56 AM
Dwight said he would have stayed if Phil was the coach so no need to ponder te what ifs.

Lakers ****ed up and now that this is out in the public, it will only get worse.

Exactly. Where are all the Jim Buss apologists now?

amos1er
09-23-2013, 03:59 AM
that is possible. Dwight is hardly has the skilled passer that Phil looks for in a big but he also would have had him under the basket where he is comfortable.

It was really a no brainer. Dwight was the future and Jim spat in his face by not giving him the coach he wanted and the coach who would have been the biggest benefit to his particular skill sets. What kind of idiot builds around a 39 year old point guard over a 27 year old center who happens to be the best big man in the league. It's just mind-boggling.

amos1er
09-23-2013, 04:01 AM
One of the dumbest moves we've made that I ever witnessed. Then to do it over Antoni was so stupid it was almost funny...

Yes, I can't really think of anything dumber that hiring D'Antoni over Phil. That has to be the top. Thats what happens when you let your personal feelings and ego influence your business decisions. Jim really needs to go soon... He is far to inept to be running the Los Angeles Lakers. Perhaps the Los Angeles Defenders would be a better fit.

amos1er
09-23-2013, 04:04 AM
The question has to be "Did the Lakers really want to build around him with the upcoming Cba?"

Pretty sure they did. They would have been foolish not to really. Jim traded away his precious Bynum to get D12. Thats a lot of investment to give up on and just have walk away for nothing. This just comes down to Jim being way outmatched in terms of running an organization like the Los Angeles Lakers. He has no business running basketball operations.

Big Zo
09-23-2013, 04:15 AM
The Lakers deserve to be stuck with Jim Buss for a long time.

amos1er
09-23-2013, 04:33 AM
The Lakers deserve to be stuck with Jim Buss for a long time.

Now thats a low blow. Even for a Miami fan.

jam
09-23-2013, 05:26 AM
I don't see a scenario in which jeannie could simply ouster jim and become sole owner. The ownership is a trust in which all of jerry buss's 6 heirs have equal equity, and equal say. They either sell together or remain co-owners within the parameters of the trust, which all of his children agreed to long ago.

There could be a workaround involving the sale of the lakers with jeannie returning as president of personnel. But all of the buss heirs would have to agree to sell. On top of that AEG (owners of the staples center) would have to approve of the sale.

THEN, whoever or whatever entity purchased the lakers would theoretically be free to hire anyone they wanted or bring anyone they wanted in as a co-owner.

The bottom line is that there is no easy way for jeannie to gain control over the reins of the franchise.

Thinking about it a bit more, jeannie's book has likely eroded the value of the franchise even further; ironically just as much as jim's seemingly endless series of bumbling decisions, if not more so.

This sibling rivalry could bring down the great lakers franchise as we know it.

setman2000
09-23-2013, 06:57 AM
Nothing like a self entitled billionaire whining about the way her poor, poor billionaire boyfriend was treated by her billionaire brother. I can't stop the tears running down my cheeks. My God, he even put on his favorite Hawaiian Lakers shirt!

Badluck33
09-23-2013, 07:07 AM

lol

Agreed

lol x 2!

Badluck33
09-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Its so funny and hysterical to me that about a year ago most laker fans were praising Jim Buss on how exceptional of a VP he was for getting Nash and DH12 to put around Kobe, MWP and Gasol to have a potentially great starting 5 and the only threat to beat the Miami Heat.

Whoooooooops.

:/

Hellcrooner
09-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Howard would have left even with phil.

You can take that to the bank.

The diva wouldnt have liked AT ALL to play the Horace Grant Role to Paus Cartwright .....Nash would have hated the Paxon role too.

PurpleLynch
09-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Nothing like a self entitled billionaire whining about the way her poor, poor billionaire boyfriend was treated by her billionaire brother. I can't stop the tears running down my cheeks. My God, he even put on his favorite Hawaiian Lakers shirt!

Total random comment. I don't understand why did you put that in this way. It's just a story about taking the lead role in a Nba franchise. They're millionaire? So what? I live in a normal family,but I don't see the problem in being a millionaire unless you harm other people.

barreleffact
09-24-2013, 12:46 AM
My only concern is D'antoni is still the head coach. Why throw him under the bus if it isn't going to chang anything except cause further animosity?

jam
09-24-2013, 04:16 AM
My only concern is D'antoni is still the head coach. Why throw him under the bus if it isn't going to chang anything except cause further animosity?

Jeannie didn't throw D'Antoni under the bus.

Raps_93
09-24-2013, 12:31 PM
who cares

Durant is hype
09-24-2013, 03:23 PM
How come Kobe didn't recruit Phil? That's the least talked about tidbit in this whole saga.

JasonJohnHorn
09-24-2013, 11:35 PM
I love reading stuff like this. We don't get to see what goes on in the locker room or the board room much, so I love reading this stuff. Making or breaking a team comes down to things like this that we don't always see. In this case, it was the breaking of a team.

Reading this, it becomes very clear that Jim Buss has no idea how to run a basketball team. I even remember him saying after the announcement (or maybe it was Mitch) that they wanted to put a team on the court that could win and entertain. They should have forgotten about the 'entertain' part and focused on the winning part.

Jim and Mitch made a bad hiring with Brown. then they made a worse hiring with 'Antoni. They clearly don't know what they are doing when it comes to coaches. Mitch was handed Jackson. Mitch was handed Kobe. The Gasol trade and the Bynum pick up were good, but the Gasol trade was a no-brainer to be honest and was a matter of circumstance (the Griz wanted to dump a contract and the Lakers had an expiring one). Since then, the Lakers front office hasn't been able to make this team better. The bring in names and not chemistry.

Looking at last season, when a guy like Chris Andersen was available, the Lakers didn't even call him up when Hill and Gasol were injured. He signs with Miami and plays a central role in them winning the title. Instead they spend their money on Jamison (who was admittedly a good pick up).

With Howard, they bring him in, and then they don't listen to him. Howard made it clear he wanted Phil Jackson. When you KNOW Howard JUST forced a trade because he didn't like the coach, and you are hoping he re-signs instead of walking away, you LISTEN to his input. Jackson could have gotten Kobe and Howard working together. People listen to a coach with 10 rings. 'Antoni alienated Howard, alienated him more, and then publicly said he thought post play was inefficient, just in case Howard wasn't alienated enough.

'Antoni was not only a bad coached that didn't get the most out of the team, he soured Howard on the Lakers and ruined any chance they had of re-signign him.

Jim Buss should be fired. He won't be, because he's the owner, obviously, but if this guy was a salary guy getting paid by the owner, he would have been fired along with Mitch and 'Antoni at the end of the season.

RaiderLakersA's
09-26-2013, 03:49 PM
I love reading stuff like this. We don't get to see what goes on in the locker room or the board room much, so I love reading this stuff. Making or breaking a team comes down to things like this that we don't always see. In this case, it was the breaking of a team.

Reading this, it becomes very clear that Jim Buss has no idea how to run a basketball team. I even remember him saying after the announcement (or maybe it was Mitch) that they wanted to put a team on the court that could win and entertain. They should have forgotten about the 'entertain' part and focused on the winning part.

Jim and Mitch made a bad hiring with Brown. then they made a worse hiring with 'Antoni. They clearly don't know what they are doing when it comes to coaches. Mitch was handed Jackson. Mitch was handed Kobe. The Gasol trade and the Bynum pick up were good, but the Gasol trade was a no-brainer to be honest and was a matter of circumstance (the Griz wanted to dump a contract and the Lakers had an expiring one). Since then, the Lakers front office hasn't been able to make this team better. The bring in names and not chemistry.

Looking at last season, when a guy like Chris Andersen was available, the Lakers didn't even call him up when Hill and Gasol were injured. He signs with Miami and plays a central role in them winning the title. Instead they spend their money on Jamison (who was admittedly a good pick up).

With Howard, they bring him in, and then they don't listen to him. Howard made it clear he wanted Phil Jackson. When you KNOW Howard JUST forced a trade because he didn't like the coach, and you are hoping he re-signs instead of walking away, you LISTEN to his input. Jackson could have gotten Kobe and Howard working together. People listen to a coach with 10 rings. 'Antoni alienated Howard, alienated him more, and then publicly said he thought post play was inefficient, just in case Howard wasn't alienated enough.

'Antoni was not only a bad coached that didn't get the most out of the team, he soured Howard on the Lakers and ruined any chance they had of re-signign him.

Jim Buss should be fired. He won't be, because he's the owner, obviously, but if this guy was a salary guy getting paid by the owner, he would have been fired along with Mitch and 'Antoni at the end of the season.

Good post.

What happened to Phil, while ridiculous and inane, doesn't bother me.

What scares me is that it was probably just a dry run for the royal cluster **** to be dealt by Jimmy when he tries to build his own version of a Lakers dynasty in the post-Kobe era.

That's right: Jim Buss. Architect of World Beaters. Dear God, is there no mercy in all of Heaven for Lakers fans???

Next year we'll have money to burn and plenty of cap space to oxygenate. Whether "up" or "down", it's becoming increasingly clear to me that the predicate will be "in flames" as long as Jimmy is in charge.

I'm not looking forward to another of my once great franchises going to hell in a handbasket, but I guess it's my turn on the wheel.