PDA

View Full Version : Straight to the Pros vs. 4 Years of School Teams

DreamShaker
09-20-2013, 11:38 PM
I will stick to guys who were drafted after the 1971-ish, when coming out of high school was actually an option. Let's say everyone in their primes, of course, or it would be weird and confusing. Who you got:

All 4 Years:

C- David Robinson/Patrick Ewing/Robert Parish
PF- Tim Duncan/Kevin McHale/David West
SF- Scottie Pippen/Grant Hill
SG- Reggie Miller/Brandon Roy
PG- John Stockton/Steve Nash

Straight to the Pros (or never played college basketball, non-international)

C- Moses Malone/Dwight Howard/Andrew Bynum
PF- Kevin Garnett/Amare Stoudamire/Shawn Kemp
SF- Lebron James/Josh Smith
SG- Kobe Bryant/T-Mac
PG- Brandon Jennings/Monta Ellis

Man, I think Shaun Livingston could have helped the PG cause if not for that gruesome knee injury. Might let T-Mac start at PG. Lol. But what do you guys think?

unleashthebeast
09-21-2013, 11:31 AM
I mean I would probably start LeBron at PG and have TMac at SF :shrug:

DreamShaker
09-21-2013, 12:43 PM
I mean I would probably start LeBron at PG and have TMac at SF :shrug:

That works as well. Either way, it would be a Heat/90s Bulls type offense where the PG isn't the main playmaker. Shaun Livingston's knee exploding ruined this thread. I truly hope he feels bad about that.

todu82
09-21-2013, 01:06 PM
The All 4 Years team.

Pablonovi
09-21-2013, 01:50 PM
I will stick to guys who were drafted after the 1971-ish, when coming out of high school was actually an option. Let's say everyone in their primes, of course, or it would be weird and confusing. Who you got:

All 4 Years:

C- David Robinson/Patrick Ewing/Robert Parish
PF- Tim Duncan/Kevin McHale/David West
SF- Scottie Pippen/Grant Hill
SG- Reggie Miller/Brandon Roy
PG- John Stockton/Steve Nash

Straight to the Pros (or never played college basketball, non-international)

C- Moses Malone/Dwight Howard/Andrew Bynum
PF- Kevin Garnett/Amare Stoudamire/Shawn Kemp
SF- Lebron James/Josh Smith
SG- Kobe Bryant/T-Mac
PG- Brandon Jennings/Monta Ellis

Man, I think Shaun Livingston could have helped the PG cause if not for that gruesome knee injury. Might let T-Mac start at PG. Lol. But what do you guys think?

Hey DreamShaker,
Wow, pretty evenly matched, great teams.
My first thoughts were:
The Stockton/Nash-led "College" Team with the rest of those guys being endless-fed the sweetest of passes would be an Offensive Juggernaut (and plenty good on D too). OTOH ...
The "High School" Team would be a lock-down Defensive Juggernaut while, IF LeBron is the PG, then they'd be virtually unstoppable with the ball. (I wouldn't "trust" Jennings and Ellis to run that offense; instead they'd be like 2nd SGs.)

Fun topic.

DreamShaker
09-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Hey DreamShaker,
Wow, pretty evenly matched, great teams.
My first thoughts were:
The Stockton/Nash-led "College" Team with the rest of those guys being endless-fed the sweetest of passes would be an Offensive Juggernaut (and plenty good on D too). OTOH ...
The "High School" Team would be a lock-down Defensive Juggernaut while, IF LeBron is the PG, then they'd be virtually unstoppable with the ball. (I wouldn't "trust" Jennings and Ellis to run that offense; instead they'd be like 2nd SGs.)

Fun topic.

Thanks, man! It's crazy how two totally different paths both lead to greatness. Although the low end...is quite the bummer. So many guys who just weren't ready flamed out quick. There is an article on Grantland about a guy named Korleone (forgot his last name) that was super eye opening. But I guess the cream always rises. And these guys proved they were ready.

On the matchup, I would go with the 4 year team. But it is REALLY close.

Pablonovi
09-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks, man! It's crazy how two totally different paths both lead to greatness. Although the low end...is quite the bummer. So many guys who just weren't ready flamed out quick. There is an article on Grantland about a guy named Korleone (forgot his last name) that was super eye opening. But I guess the cream always rises. And these guys proved they were ready.

On the matchup, I would go with the 4 year team. But it is REALLY close.

Hey Hakeem, oops I mean DreamShaker,
You're very welcome.

There are times / teams when I strongly care about "my side" winning. But, overwhelmingly, that is NOT the case. In all those other cases, what I root for is great teamwork (when teams are involved) AND great performances.

In the case of these two would-be teams, I don't know if I could even force myself to "take sides"; they are so beautifully composed of such top-quality talent.

I'd vote for a "Best Of 82 Game-Season" and root for BOTH sides every second to the Final season-ending buzzer. I'd be one happy man doing it, too.

P.S. Was that guy's first name, "Vito"? hehe ... "only the good die young" - Billy Joel

ModernDaySavage
09-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Put LeBron at PG with a prime TMac at SF, and they wipe the floor with the collegiate squad.

shep33
09-21-2013, 04:10 PM
The high school squad easily if you have a prime Tmac there.

flea
09-21-2013, 04:29 PM
I don't see T-Mac or Lebron driving on that frontline. Hell you could take the starters out of the college squad and it would still be an elite post team. Give me them.

Pablonovi
09-21-2013, 04:37 PM
I look at both "squads" and it seems to me that the "Collegians" are better at 3 of the five positions:
Center, Power Forward and Point Guard. Whereas the High Schoolians "only" reign at the two Wings.

That might be asking too much of even LeBron, Kobe, TMac et al.
Don't forget Scottie was an ALL-World defender. What an incredible match-up that'd be: Scottie on LeBron. Not saying he stops him; nobody does; not even necessary; just slow him a little, make him work a little extra. You can't win at every position, every match-up; but IF you can, at all, negatively affect the other team's best player; that ain't nothin' (i.e., it IS something) in the grander scheme of things.

Then again, great match-ups everwhere. What a blast (from the past and present)!

Trueblue2
09-21-2013, 04:45 PM
HS team should be coached by Phil and the 4 year team should be coached by Pop. I know that wasn't the question but the HS team running the triangle would be unstoppable, it would maximize pretty much the whole teams strengths (only problem being that Ellis and Jennings aren't that great of spot up shooters).

And you have to have Pop coaching a team with Duncan and Robinson. He knew how to get the most out of both of them while they were on the floor together and has since shown the ability to adjust his offense to the strengths of his players.

Overall I'd take the College team. I want to say the HS team because of the insane amount of talent they have, but there's just too many players on that team that have had issues playing effectively alongside other premier talents. On the other hand the college team is full of players that have made HOF careers out of their abilities to excel while playing with other star players. If ego didn't exist and this was NBA2k I take the HS team, but IRL I take the college team.

RiceOnTheRun
09-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Wow this would be a crazy matchup.

It's really hard to argue against the bigs on the collegiate team, but at the same time, trying to stop T-Mac, Kobe and Lebron at the same time would be ridiculous even with a guy like Pippen.

I don't think either team has a complete win over the other. Like someone else said, if it was a best out of 82 series, I'd probably take the collegiate team 45-37

JasonJohnHorn
09-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Yeah... the 4-year team would destroy them.... but James would make it interesting.

The Duncan/Garnett match-up would be sweet and the Pippen/LBJ to... but Grant Hill with Stockton and Nash to go along with DRob and McHale... forget about it!

I am a big Moses fan.... but RRob/Chief/Ewing is > moses/Dwightmare/KneeInjury

Tony_Starks
09-21-2013, 09:55 PM
I gotta go high school squad by a slim margin. Assuming Pip is going to check Lebron full time that leaves Miller and Roy to guard Kobe/ TMac. Those were the two most unstoppable wings of that era, AND two way players to boot!

Plus dont sleep on Monta. Stockton would get under his skin but he would embarrass Nash one on one...

*Silver&Black*
09-21-2013, 11:54 PM
All 4 years team, and to add, Kemp should be ahead of Amare at least on the depth chart of the straight-to-pros team. 1st Forward off the bench, maybe even ahead of KG.

FlashBolt
09-22-2013, 12:55 AM
This PG combination really sucks. Only reason 4 years would win, Jennings/Ellis? Two of the biggest ballhogging, nonpassing PG's. Ever.

WHODAT8o8
09-22-2013, 01:40 AM
All 4 years team, and to add, Kemp should be ahead of Amare at least on the depth chart of the straight-to-pros team. 1st Forward off the bench, maybe even ahead of KG.

:facepalm: if you really would start kemp over kg...

DreamShaker
09-22-2013, 02:08 AM

Ahead of KG is crazy talk. I really didn't set the power forward rotation, outside of the starters, in a totally purposeful order. I would put Kemp over Amare, though. Much better all-around player.

ztilzer31
09-22-2013, 02:47 AM
I keep looking at Reggie Miller ahead of Roy. If we're talking just prime I'm taking Roy. Maybe I'm just a homer, but Roy had an extremely complete game.

ztilzer31
09-22-2013, 02:49 AM
Oh and Kemp is in no way better than KG. Exciting player, but even in his prime he was overrated. That's coming from a Sonics fan too.