PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Finesse Dunkers at each position

Matter.
09-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Since Chronz did power dunkers, and there were a couple of mentions of finesse in there. why not do a list of finesse?

go.

TheMightyHumph
09-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Julius dunked in the manner that was called for at that moment.

Best in game dunker that ever played in the ABA/NBA

tredigs
09-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Not sure about position wise off the cuff, but Dr. J, Clyde, Jordan, VC, Kobe and... the Phoenix Suns Gorilla are all up there.

DreamShaker
09-20-2013, 02:39 AM
Automatically think of Clyde the Glide. He would do that dunk where he kicked both legs up and would glide in the air. He had power, but would rather throw it down with finesse. Stevie Franchise was a dunker at the point guard position that dunked with more finesse than power at times, even though I also put him on the power list. So here's my list according to what you asked for, I might cheat a little position wise:

PG- Steve Francis/Penny Hardaway/Robert Pack
SG- MJ/Clyde/T-Mac
SF- Vince/Dr. J/Nique
PF- Larry Nance/Kemp/Blake
C- Robinson/Deandre Jordan/Javale Mcgee
C

smiddy012
09-20-2013, 03:25 AM
MJ and then, to a lesser degree, Kobe, are better than anything I've seen, only been watching since the early 90s though.

smiddy012
09-20-2013, 03:30 AM
Blake has to be mentioned, forgot about him, he's a freak with what he can do at the rim obviously.

stawka
09-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Kemp and Nique were DEFINITELY power Dunkers! That's not up for discussion, especially Nique! The man would try break the rim every time!!

Hawkeye15
09-20-2013, 11:06 PM
finesse?

Code word for soft to me.

PurpleLynch
09-21-2013, 12:24 PM
finesse?

Code word for soft to me.

Lol.Just take it as "elegant",maybe.

JeremiahWing
09-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Jordan.

Pablonovi
09-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Lol.Just take it as "elegant",maybe.

Hey Hawk and PurpleLynch,
PurpleLunch you wrote that in response to Hawk who wrote: "finesse? Code word for soft to me."

Hey Hawk,
Are you too young to have seen much if any of Dr J.? (And of course way too young for such as: Baylor, and the REAL (hehe) Hawk (Connie Hawkins), to name a couple more).

I think we all agree that there's far more to our "addiction" to the NBA than just power-dunks. It IS entertainment, and an "elegant" dunk is great entertainment and fine artistry, no?

Dr. J. may well have been the Ultimate B-Ball Artist; many of his greatest dunks were more finesse/elegant than "slam-dunks". He was grace personified on the court (and for sure off it as well). He had a monster power-slam; but his swooping, twisting, turning, "seemingly-impossible" ones , imo, were equally thrilling - often because the degree-of-difficulty was higher than a power-slam would have been.

There was NOTHING "soft" about the Doc's in-air wizardry!

Hawkeye15
09-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Hey Hawk and PurpleLynch,
PurpleLunch you wrote that in response to Hawk who wrote: "finesse? Code word for soft to me."

Hey Hawk,
Are you too young to have seen much if any of Dr J.? (And of course way too young for such as: Baylor, and the REAL (hehe) Hawk (Connie Hawkins), to name a couple more).

I think we all agree that there's far more to our "addiction" to the NBA than just power-dunks. It IS entertainment, and an "elegant" dunk is great entertainment and fine artistry, no?

Dr. J. may well have been the Ultimate B-Ball Artist; many of his greatest dunks were more finesse/elegant than "slam-dunks". He was grace personified on the court (and for sure off it as well). He had a monster power-slam; but his swooping, twisting, turning, "seemingly-impossible" ones , imo, were equally thrilling - often because the degree-of-difficulty was higher than a power-slam would have been.

There was NOTHING "soft" about the Doc's in-air wizardry!

Too young to see Dr J in his physical prime, and as an Iowa fan (thanks Dad), I know a lot about Connie, just never watched much.

I just struggle with "finesse" I suppose. Clyde makes sense. So does Jordan. If we are talking about guys who didn't try and take the rim off when they dunked, and were acrobatic in the air. Larry Nance was another. In the power dunk thread, I left out Tom Chambers.

If I am understanding "finesse" correctly, Doc's dunk on the break over Cooper where he cupped the ball and swung it around and slammed it as Coop went by, is probably the ultimate finesse dunk I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWYrjqfZqA8

In fact, it's one the greatest dunks I have ever seen when you look at how beautiful is was.

Chronz
09-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Is this like the opposite of power dunking, no right, just straight up artistry in elevation?

Its clear LeBron gets taken off here, as do most of the bigmen listed in the other thread. Kobe shoots to the top, just because I think he has more elegance and grace to his aerial acrobatics (blowing his fingers and winking at the camera type stuff). He has some truly creative dunks throughout his career, my favorite being his reverse flushes. Not exactly finesse because he finished most of those with power until his legs began winding down.

Tmac should get major points for his (in game) off the backboard dunks he gifted us back in the day. If you want creativity in the air, you start getting guys like Gerald Green, J-Rich and Ricky Davis.

Pablonovi
09-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Too young to see Dr J in his physical prime, and as an Iowa fan (thanks Dad), I know a lot about Connie, just never watched much.

I just struggle with "finesse" I suppose. Clyde makes sense. So does Jordan. If we are talking about guys who didn't try and take the rim off when they dunked, and were acrobatic in the air. Larry Nance was another. In the power dunk thread, I left out Tom Chambers.

If I am understanding "finesse" correctly, Doc's dunk on the break over Cooper where he cupped the ball and swung it around and slammed it as Coop went by, is probably the ultimate finesse dunk I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWYrjqfZqA8

In fact, it's one the greatest dunks I have ever seen when you look at how beautiful is was.

Hey Hawk,
Yes, imo "that's what I'm talking about".

Great point about Chambers (he seems to have mostly always been under the radar; but he was very good for many years and his dunk did have a mean streak.

Pablonovi
09-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Is this like the opposite of power dunking, no right, just straight up artistry in elevation?

Its clear LeBron gets taken off here, as do most of the bigmen listed in the other thread. Kobe shoots to the top, just because I think he has more elegance and grace to his aerial acrobatics (blowing his fingers and winking at the camera type stuff). He has some truly creative dunks throughout his career, my favorite being his reverse flushes. Not exactly finesse because he finished most of those with power until his legs began winding down.

Tmac should get major points for his (in game) off the backboard dunks he gifted us back in the day. If you want creativity in the air, you start getting guys like Gerald Green, J-Rich and Ricky Davis.

Hey High Horse,
I could be wrong, but I think this is indeed what the OP is asking for (otherwise, we end up with essentially the same list); and you do a nice job here. Kind of like: more "magic" less "thunder". I find thunder-dunks endlessly fascinating; but I DO love the creative stuff; in an earlier post I mentioned some that have NOT been mentioned by others (including a "bump" here to: Muggsy Bogues - how the f_ck he could do that at 5 foot three???), and Dave SkyWalker Thompson - one of the All-Time best verticals).