PDA

View Full Version : 6th Annual PSD Player Rankings #8 Center In The NBA? (Volume: VI)

Mile High Champ
09-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Hey guys, It is that time of year again! Once again we kick of the PSD NBA Off-Season Player Rankings. This is the 6th year I have done this on PSD and it always brings some great discussion and debate. Please keep things civil and discuss who you feel is most fitting and deserving of being voted in each poll.

A lot has changed since last season. Lebron James and the Miami Heat are back to back NBA champions after an exciting 7 game series win over the Spurs. Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 5 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

Due to some people complaining that the rule was not written for the PG poll; in order to be eligible for these rankings, players must of played in 10 or more games last season. Thank you.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best

2013 Off-Season PSD C Rankings

1) Tim Duncan
2) Dwight Howard
3) Marc Gasol
4) Joakim Noah
5) Roy Hibbert
6) Al Horford
7) Brook Lopez
8)
9)
10)

2012 Off-Season PSD C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Andrew Bynum
3) Kevin Garnett
4) Marc Gasol
5) Tim Duncan
6) Tyson Chandler
7) Al Horford
8) Al Jefferson
9) Roy Hibbert
10) DeMarcus Cousins

2011 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Andrew Bynum
3) Tim Duncan
4) Andrew Bogut
5) Al Horford
6) Marc Gasol
7) Tyson Chandler
8) Joakim Noah
9) Nene
10) Al Jefferson

2010 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Andrew Bogut
4) Brook Lopez
5) Andrew Bynum
6) Marc Gasol
7) Joakim Noah
8) Al Horford
9) Al Jefferson
10) Chris Kaman

2009 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Shaquille O'Neal
5) Andrea Bargnani
6) Andris Biedrins
7) Emeka Okafor
8) Nene
9) Brook Lopez
10) Andrew Bynum

2008 Off-Season C Rankings:

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Andrew Bynum
5) Chris Kaman
6) Tyson Chandler
7) Shaquille O'Neal
8) Marcus Camby
9) Jermaine O'neal
10) Andrew Bogut

Mile High Champ
09-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Bosh
Jefferson
Chandler

Is how I believe the final 3 spots should go.

nycericanguy
09-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Tyson goes here, he might not be a better player than Bosh, but he's a better C than Bosh.

Hortford looks kinda odd on this list, guess I never really saw him as a C.

Seizabmc
09-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Tyson chandler

mrblisterdundee
09-17-2013, 04:24 PM
I think Chris Bosh is the most talented out of this group, although Tyson Chandler has the most emotional and defensive impact. I went with Bosh, because he's the best overall, and he played eight more games – or almost one-tenth of a season – more than Chandler. I'm always going to factor health in my choices, and Bosh is most definitely more durable than Chandler.
Statistically speaking, Al Jefferson and DeMarcus Cousins are the most impressive. If only they'd play defense.

D-Leethal
09-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Tyson goes here, he might not be a better player than Bosh, but he's a better C than Bosh.

Hortford looks kinda odd on this list, guess I never really saw him as a C.

This - its Tyson's turn now. Bosh is closer to a SF than a C in my book, regardless of what position label is next to his name in the box score. He is a frail perimeter face up forward who has the benefit of playing defense behind one of the most vicious and suffocating perimeter defenses since the 90s Bulls.

Mile High Champ
09-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Lets get some discussion going here guys. Why Chandler over Bosh?

Avenged
09-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Bosh is better than Tyson.. But both should have gone off the board a few spots back.

murphturph
09-18-2013, 12:40 PM
REMEMBER that the question is "TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER" cough cough Knicks fans taking Chandler over Bosh. Bosh is clearly the superior talent, and he also has back to back rings.

NYKnickFanatic
09-18-2013, 12:52 PM
REMEMBER that the question is "TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER" cough cough Knicks fans taking Chandler over Bosh. Bosh is clearly the superior talent, and he also has back to back rings.

The votes are public, maybe a little more than half of the votes were from Knicks fans...

Is Bosh the better player? Yes. Is he the better CENTER? I don't think so.

Why weren't you complaining when guys like Horford and Lopez got voted before Bosh?

nycericanguy
09-18-2013, 02:37 PM
The votes are public, maybe a little more than half of the votes were from Knicks fans...

Why weren't you complaining when guys like Horford and Lopez got voted before Bosh?

Exactly what I said... If I was building a team from scratch I'd take Bosh over Chandler.

But If I'm looking for a C, I take Chandler all day. And FWIW, I've voted Brook over CHandler 3 times...and I hate the Nets...lol

It really is a disservice to Bosh though to have him listed here with C's. He should have made top 5 PF's... instead he'll struggle to crack this top 10 list.

NYKnickFanatic
09-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Exactly what I said... If I was building a team from scratch I'd take Bosh over Chandler.

But If I'm looking for a C, I take Chandler all day. And FWIW, I've voted Brook over CHandler 3 times...and I hate the Nets...lol

It really is a disservice to Bosh though to have him listed here with C's. He should have made top 5 PF's... instead he'll struggle to crack this top 10 list.

Haha, yeah I feel you man.

D-Leethal
09-18-2013, 04:34 PM
This isn't a best player ranking. Its a best Center ranking. If Bosh didn't have the luxury of playing C behind a perimeter defense that anchors itself, he would get royally exposed. There are only 1 or 2 teams that could get by with him playing C. If your choosing a C, your taking Tyson over Bosh. Not rocket science.

RiceOnTheRun
09-19-2013, 03:24 AM
Without any context for a team beforehand, I think Tyson takes it over Bosh if we're solely picking a center.

I still can't believe Bosh is on the board though. He's a top 15-20 player in the league at the worst. I kinda do question Horford being at 6, but whatever.

xxplayerxx23
09-19-2013, 08:12 AM

Horford is better then bosh, guy is a stud

nycericanguy
09-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Horford is better then bosh, guy is a stud

No he's not. I mean he had a great year last year because he was basically the #1 option... but put Bosh on ATL as the #1 and he'd put up 24 & 11.

People forget Bosh was 23 & 11 every year before MIA, Horford has never even sniffed those numbers.

He's still hte same player, he just has to share the court with Wade & LBJ now. I guarantee you Hortford's numbers would plummet if he was a #3 option.

Chronz
09-19-2013, 12:10 PM
No he's not. I mean he had a great year last year because he was basically the #1 option... but put Bosh on ATL as the #1 and he'd put up 24 & 11.

People forget Bosh was 23 & 11 every year before MIA, Horford has never even sniffed those numbers.

He's still hte same player, he just has to share the court with Wade & LBJ now. I guarantee you Hortford's numbers would plummet if he was a #3 option.
Seems to me that Horford is already in the kind of role Bosh plays in, he just does it better. So in that sense hes a better player but I see the same issues with him. Hes more of a PF as well, only with Bosh we already KNOW hes suppressing his stats to a high degree.

You guys are crazy tho, Ill take the better player here regardless if hes not an ideal center. When Blake Griffin slid over to the 5, he was still a better player than the likes of Horford and Chandler, same thing with Bosh.

NYKnickFanatic
09-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Seems to me that Horford is already in the kind of role Bosh plays in, he just does it better. So in that sense hes a better player but I see the same issues with him. Hes more of a PF as well, only with Bosh we already KNOW hes suppressing his stats to a high degree.

You guys are crazy tho, Ill take the better player here regardless if hes not an ideal center. When Blake Griffin slid over to the 5, he was still a better player than the likes of Horford and Chandler, same thing with Bosh.

So if your team was in desperate need of a CENTER, you would take Bosh over Chandler?

Chronz
09-19-2013, 01:11 PM
So if your team was in desperate need of a CENTER, you would take Bosh over Chandler?

If your team was in desperate need of a bonafide scoring threat, would you choose Chandler? Say it was a team with +defenders in the frontcourt already. What does this have to do with anything?

Heres the facts, Bosh is greatly suppressing his own game for the sake of a championship team. Tyson Chandler had one of his worst seasons since winning his own title years ago. As they are currently playing, its by no means crazy to think Bosh has been the better player for their respective teams. I do think its a close comparison but that bosh is doing this while sacrificing some of his game is what kills any tie breaker for me. His defense isn't even trash so I dont know why people act like hes Bargnani out there.

NYKnickFanatic
09-19-2013, 01:34 PM
If your team was in desperate need of a bonafide scoring threat, would you choose Chandler? Say it was a team with +defenders in the frontcourt already. What does this have to do with anything?

Heres the facts, Bosh is greatly suppressing his own game for the sake of a championship team. Tyson Chandler had one of his worst seasons since winning his own title years ago. As they are currently playing, its by no means crazy to think Bosh has been the better player for their respective teams. I do think its a close comparison but that bosh is doing this while sacrificing some of his game is what kills any tie breaker for me. His defense isn't even trash so I dont know why people act like hes Bargnani out there.

Obviously not...

If you read my first post, I have already said Bosh is the better player...

Chronz
09-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Obviously not...

If you read my first post, I have already said Bosh is the better player...

too many nyk variations to keep track of, I assumed you were the other guy

xxplayerxx23
09-19-2013, 05:23 PM

Give me Al any day. Bosh wasn't a consistent 11 rebounding PF. Sure he can score better then AL but he isn't tough like AL. He doesn't play defense as well as AL and he doesn't rebound like AL. Not to mention Horford is a nice offensive weapon, he can be a number 2 on a championship contender, bosh could to but id rather have AL at this point

xxplayerxx23
09-19-2013, 05:24 PM
I'd take bosh over chandler in a second