PDA

View Full Version : Do the Sox finish 8-3 and hit 100 wins?

Caveman508
09-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Conversation/Poll

-Lavigne43-
09-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Would be cool, but I doubt it. They are going to start resting guys.

ruckus16969
09-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Actually ya of course they can.

SirHizz
09-16-2013, 05:12 PM
HFA throughout is probably important to them, but it's not gonna take 100 wins to get there. 8-3 is not out of the question, but don't forget that we have to play the O's 6 times and they are the only team this season that has a positive W-L series record against us. Resting players in Colorado is another possibility. I predict them to finish with 6 more wins.

AI
09-16-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm going to say yes.

MG956
09-16-2013, 05:55 PM
We have been on a pretty long hot streak, and Farrell has also stated we are going to rest the starters as much as possible. Common sense would tell you we aren't going 8/3 to finish out the season.

That said I hope we spank the O's, hard. Showalter is the grinch that stole the playoffs, and it would be nice if we could deal out some payback. If we go 6/5 those are the 6 games I want to win.

Nomar
09-16-2013, 09:01 PM
No

Crucis
09-16-2013, 09:47 PM
HFA throughout is probably important to them, but it's not gonna take 100 wins to get there. 8-3 is not out of the question, but don't forget that we have to play the O's 6 times and they are the only team this season that has a positive W-L series record against us. Resting players in Colorado is another possibility. I predict them to finish with 6 more wins.

I also agree that HFA is important. It's great for the Sox to be able to play any game 7 at home, if necessary. And 100 wins would be great and an 8-3 finish definitely doesn't seem beyond this team, even while resting some players.

bagwell368
09-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Could they? Yes. Will they? No

Just win 99, and get the HFA throughout.

RedSoxtober
09-17-2013, 10:04 AM

I think that the total is right. The more significant aspect of the Orioles games is that they are still in the WC hunt. They will be working HARD to win games in the first series and could still have incentive in the season finale. Losing 4/6 in those series would not surprise me.

Magic number for HFA is 9.

Nomar
09-17-2013, 10:35 AM
What Pittz said I agree with... but Farrell seems to make borderline unexplainable lineup decisions every week, so I wouldn't be shocked to see surprise benchings during the Orioles games.

todu82
09-17-2013, 10:37 AM
For the record:

We play 3 games this week vs. Baltimore
3 games this weekend vs. Toronto
2 games next week vs. Colorado
3 games next week vs. Baltimore.

The schedule's easy enough for us to get 100 wins but I think we fall short and get 98 wins.

Celtic AL
09-17-2013, 01:22 PM
i don't see us reaching 100 wins. i think if they clinch they are just going to rest some key guys. Also Facing the O's won't help either since they are still in it in the Wild Card race.

-Lavigne43-
09-17-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm not sure I want HFA. Facing the Rays and potentially Price twice in a short series would suck. I'd rather face Oakland.

Pittz
09-17-2013, 02:18 PM
What Pittz said I agree with... but Farrell seems to make borderline unexplainable lineup decisions every week, so I wouldn't be shocked to see surprise benchings during the Orioles games.

What'd I say?

Nomar
09-17-2013, 04:56 PM
What'd I say?

Wasn't you it was SirHizz. You're welcome for the credit though babe

Lackeyfan41
09-17-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm not sure I want HFA. Facing the Rays and potentially Price twice in a short series would suck. I'd rather face Oakland.
Oakland has the 2nd best record in the AL right now. They could get first and we end up playing the tigers, which would be terrible.

I just want HFA, It will probably be Tampa/Texas vs. Clevland. Unless Clevland somehow figures out how to win we are going to face either Darvish twice or Price twice. You are right, that sucks. But it is safer for us to play hard the rest of the way and try to get HFA

-Lavigne43-
09-17-2013, 09:44 PM
When did that happen lol? Have the Tigers been sucking or something? They had such an easy schedule ahead of them.

RedSoxtober
09-18-2013, 03:51 PM

I'm not sure that HFA and the Rays (with Price) really have anything to do with one another. I get that HFA means that you get the winner of the WC game but that WC play-in is completely unpredictable.

There are five reasonable WC candidates: TEX, TBR, CLE, BAL, and NYY.

TEX has been terrible, giving the 2011 Red Sox a run for their train-to-nowhere title. They're 3-12 in SEP but now lead the season series vs TBR 3-2 thanks to a 7-1 win in Tampa last night. After two more games at the Trop they head to we-think-we're-contenders KCR for 3 and then host HOU (3) and LAA (4) to close the season.

TBR is 8-15 in its last 23 games but might be turning the tide having won 4 of 6 lately. Granted that came courtesy mostly of MIN. They face battling Oriole (4H) and Yankee (3A) teams before closing out in TOR. That's not exactly an easy road and could open up a wide path for...

CLE. These guys could almost punch their ticket now. They're 11-5 in SEP and harken to the closing power of the 2003-04 Red Sox. Maybe Tito is spinning the magic again. At any rate, they've got the easiest road to October of any team in MLB: KCR (1A), HOU (4H), CWS (2H), MIN (4A). They're also the only WC contender with a day off down the stretch. They could finish 9-2 in that stretch and actually host the WC game.

BAL could have the magic twice... or not. They face the Sox in two series (2A, 3H) and the Rays in a third (4A). Their other opponent is TOR. Whatever the relative records are at the moment, that's the hardest closing schedule of any of the WC candidates. I'd guess the Rays pitching could be enough to wear them down if Price steps up to lead. They'll drop a couple of games to BOS (at least) and earn no more than a split with TBR. I doubt there's enough wiggle room to work past a 2 game deficit.

NYY. Yeah, we'd like to bury them and after dropping 6/7 to the Sox it might be time to do just that. But they managed to take 3/4 from BAL between the two series with the Sox so anything could be possible. They can pile on runs again... but they need to with a faltering pitching staff that features 13 guys in the BP. TOR (2A), SFG (3H), HOU (3A) should all pad the win totals if they're truly contenders but TBR (3H) will fight like hell the last week of the season. They might game some ground but 3.5 games (4 in the LC) looks like too much to overcome.

My guess is that CLE takes advantage considering the roll they're on and the schedule they have. TEX and TBR will be decided the last week and my guess is that NYY plays spoiler by eliminating the Rays as they desperately fight to stay alive themselves.

If I'm right then HFA means the winner of CLE or TEX and I'd be willing to take on either one at home. Even if I'm wrong, it seems likely that Price throws the WC play-in game. Not only is he the guy they'd WANT to throw the game but he's also lined up that way in the rotation (he'd be the next starter to go after the last day). The result of that would be Price being available for game 3 of the ALDS. Cobb appears the most likely guy to go in games 1 and 5 unless they try to get Price up on short rest twice. If the Rays try the short game twice then I'd REALLY rather get two shots at Price in Fenway than on the road.

Yeah, give me HFA first and a playoff opponent second.

RaginRondo17
09-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Kind of related, how the wins have been divided up between our pitching staff. Wins is a pretty meaningless statistic, but whatever :shrug:

1 Win: Beato, Britton, Webster, Wilson, Mortensen, Miller
2 Wins: Wright, Morales
3 Wins: Bailey, Peavy
4 Wins: Aceves, Uehara
5 Wins: Breslow, Tazawa
6 Wins: Workman
8 Wins: Dempster
10: Lackey
11: Buchholz, Doubront
15: Lester