PDA

View Full Version : LeBron as a Role Model?

ManRam
09-14-2013, 11:49 PM
This will assuredly be divisive, but so be it. Maybe we can ignore our on-the-court feelings for once.

LeBron just married his long-time girlfriend and HS sweetheart girlfriend, who is also the mother of his two children that by all accounts he's a great father to. There has never been a suspicion of crime, infidelity or anything else that would suggest he's a poor husband/farther/son. The only thing people who disparage him have is perhaps his ego...most commonly highlighted by The Decision, something he's admitted he'd take back to the scale that it was, considering it brought more attention to him rather than the charity...though he says he's comfortable with his decision. He is one of the most charitable athletes in the world, if not the most charitable. Some estimates suggest he has given over 20% of his earnings away to charity. His relationship with his single mom are well-documented. He embraces his rags to riches story and seeks to inspire other through it. He is highly connected with all communities he's been involved with to this day...be it Akron, Cleveland or Miami.

But he's still seen, by some, as the guy who fled Cleveland for the easy chance to win a ring. He's seen as an egomaniac.

My question is, in terms of role models for kids, how does he compare to the other elite athletes of his generation? Be it a Brady, Kobe, A-Rod, Jeter, Jordan, Rice, Mike Tyson, Shaq, Peyton, Barry Sanders, Lance Armstrong, Bonds, Gretzgy, Woods, Clemens, etc.?

Does The Decision still cause you to think negatively, not as a basketball player, but as a human? Is he a good role model, or not? Would you want your kids to look up to him (god I hope 99% of you don't have kids!)

*Superman*
09-15-2013, 12:04 AM
When you're the best player in the NBA, you'd have to think it comes with some ego/cockiness. The decision was a ****** thing to do (let's be honest you can't blame the whole thing on him, imagine how much money was involved), but after that, what big thing has he done wrong? I wouldn't have a problem with someone looking up to him as a role model. Although I think there would be better options.

hugepatsfan
09-15-2013, 12:06 AM
I don't think he's a bad guy at all. He seems like he's a pretty good guy to the people he has personal relationships with. His ego is massive. Not just the decision. Mannerisms on the court, comments to the media, etc. That's not the thing that bothers me though. I love athletes w/ big egos when they embrace it. Lebron acts like an ego maniac but tries to convince us he isn't one. He's so ****ing fake and I find that annoying. I don't even blame him for putting himself on a pedestal but don't try to treat us all like we're stupid and convince us you don't by saying nice cliches. Personally, he seems like a genuinely good guy but the fakeness he tries to hide his ego with annoys me. He's like the Drake of the NBA.

bearadonisdna
09-15-2013, 12:24 AM
ok im gonna kick some guy in the nuts and afterward say i shouldnt have kicked so hard. All is forgiven im a good guy.

JeffG20
09-15-2013, 12:26 AM
9 times out of 10 if you look up to an athlete as a role model, you'll end up disappointed. Most people have rose colored glasses on athletes "should" act and they usually disappoint. Lebron is probably a good role model, but I just don't believe athletes are good role models in general.

Teeboy1487
09-15-2013, 12:43 AM
Lebron seems to be a great man and a great role model. From the way he carries himself and stays out of trouble, I think it's remarkable how sound he is as a man considering he was only raised by his mom. I never had a problem with Lebron the man even during the decision. No question alot of people wanted to see him fail. They will look for anything negative to bring him down. Good thing Lebron is a sensible guy with good people around him. He has not made any major mistakes unlike most of his piers.

The one thing that will always be a black cloud over him as far as a player is him taking the easy way out in winning rings. I think this is what created the negative light on him. I did not have a problem with it personally, but many will say it just to knock him.

To me, Lebron is a great role model and I hope more younger kids look up to him.

dnl123
09-15-2013, 12:59 AM
ok im gonna kick some guy in the nuts and afterward say i shouldnt have kicked so hard. All is forgiven im a good guy.

Nice straw man logic there bud.

DreamShaker
09-15-2013, 01:00 AM
This will assuredly be divisive, but so be it. Maybe we can ignore our on-the-court feelings for once.

LeBron just married his long-time girlfriend and HS sweetheart girlfriend, who is also the mother of his two children that by all accounts he's a great father to. There has never been a suspicion of crime, infidelity or anything else that would suggest he's a poor husband/farther/son. The only thing people who disparage him have is perhaps his ego...most commonly highlighted by The Decision, something he's admitted he'd take back to the scale that it was, considering it brought more attention to him rather than the charity...though he says he's comfortable with his decision. He is one of the most charitable athletes in the world, if not the most charitable. Some estimates suggest he has given over 20% of his earnings away to charity. His relationship with his single mom are well-documented. He embraces his rags to riches story and seeks to inspire other through it. He is highly connected with all communities he's been involved with to this day...be it Akron, Cleveland or Miami.

But he's still seen, by some, as the guy who fled Cleveland for the easy chance to win a ring. He's seen as an egomaniac.

My question is, in terms of role models for kids, how does he compare to the other elite athletes of his generation? Be it a Brady, Kobe, A-Rod, Jeter, Jordan, Rice, Mike Tyson, Shaq, Peyton, Barry Sanders, Lance Armstrong, Bonds, Gretzgy, Woods, Clemens, etc.?

Does The Decision still cause you to think negatively, not as a basketball player, but as a human? Is he a good role model, or not? Would you want your kids to look up to him (god I hope 99% of you don't have kids!)

I am married and plan to have children, but don't have any currently, so I am coming from a hypothetical standpoint on some of this. I will divide my thoughts into sections, cause I think this is an interesting topic.

Has the decision affected my view of Lebron- Absolutely not. I am about the same age as Lebron, and who I was year by year has evolved and changed as I have grown and matured. To hold him to an admitted mistake he made 3 years ago would be hypocritical towards what I personally stand for. Luckily, I really don't have any inner conflict with the issue. Lebron seems like a genuine guy. I don't know him personally, but his public image is rock solid. He has also really seemed to mature as a human being, a leader, and a player.

How does he compare to his contemporaries- If you put everyone under a magnifying glass, we all look bad. You can nit pick every mistake someone has made in their lives, focus on that, and vilify them in your mind fairly easily. The thing about celebrities, though, is all we know is what is brought to our attention by the media, or by them personally, mostly. The other things that shine through are criminal activities, personal scandals, or how they act towards people that we see or hear about (in the case of athletes: coaches, teammates, fans, ect.). In interviews, most guys sound like trained puppets. Very few are candid. In the arena of social media, jerkish people are more likely to let things slip and it is magnified. Then deleted tweets and forced apologies follow. If you think about Lebron the past few years, he has remarkably kept a pretty clean image, as you said. Of the guys you mentioned: Tyson has has drug issues and been in prison. A-Rod is considered a liar and a cheater, as is Bonds and Clemens. Lance Armstrong is considered one of the biggest frauds and d-bags in sports history. Kobe has recovered from Colorado as much as he could, but he is considered a bad teammate by many (not necessarily me). MJ has had some issues, been called a jerk, but somehow always knows how to put himself in a good light. Woods had the whole mistress scandal, and hasn't fully recovered. Shaq burned a lot of bridges. The other guys have a pretty clean image. Does this mean any one guy is better than the other? Not really. They are all victims or beneficiaries of media exposure to some degree. We don't know them personally, so we gather the evidence we have, stack it up, and form our own views. We have no other choice unless we have personal experiences/relationships with them. All that longwinded babble being said, Lebron stacks up pretty well.

Would I want my child to be like Lebron- In some ways, sure. There are many other people around me I know personally I would rather them be influenced by, but if we look at what we know about Lebron, there is not a great deal to dislike. His teammates all seem to like him, as does his coaches. He seems to care about his community, his family, and his friends. All qualities all young kids would benefit from emulating.

DreamShaker
09-15-2013, 01:10 AM
9 times out of 10 if you look up to an athlete as a role model, you'll end up disappointed. Most people have rose colored glasses on athletes "should" act and they usually disappoint. Lebron is probably a good role model, but I just don't believe athletes are good role models in general.

That really comes with the territory of looking up to someone you don't know. They can do 50 good things, and the one bad thing they do can explode in the media and that sticks, fair or not. I know when I personally make a mistake, I go to the people I offended and try to make it right. We can have a candid conversation, and both come out closer and more understanding of each other from it. It has to be so much harder on a grand scale, right? I could not imagine having millions of people who don't know me angry with me. Sure, people can do something truly awful and be tarnished forever (Aaron Herndandez, OJ), but most of the time it's not so cut and dry. All I can say is I'm glad I'm not famous.

5ass
09-15-2013, 03:30 AM
At first, people hated on lebron for leaving cleveland. Then when they couldnt argue that Lebron had good teammates, they started saying that "its not why he left cleveland its how". They hated the idea about going on ESPN and so did I, but when he explained it was for charity I didnt care anymore. I dont think it was a wise decision going on espn, but if what manram said about him giving approximately 20% of his earnings to charity, then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was just thinking about the charity. You know ESPN can be very convincing when it comes to cash. After the 2011 finals, almost everyone forgot about the decision. Now everyone hated on Lebron because he was a "chocker and will never win a ring", using his subpar finals performance as an excuse. After his 2012 championship run and repeat, i think lebron has shut the haters up. He's a damn good person for thinking of something bigger than himself, and thats why i have that much more respect for him.

Mr_Jones
09-15-2013, 03:34 AM
In some ways, yes. In some ways, no. In this case, yes.

bearadonisdna
09-15-2013, 04:51 AM
Lebron was a polarizing player before the Decision.

jerellh528
09-15-2013, 05:13 AM
Lebron is no role model. Almost no pro athletes are, most of them partake in numerous bad deeds, but I'm not getting into that. The real role models of society should be teachers, doctors, firefighters, mentors, and volunteers. The op is using lebrons personal life as reason for people to believe he could be a mentor such as staying faithful to his wife, and having caring relationships with people. many real local heros/ role models just call that every day life.

bearadonisdna
09-15-2013, 05:20 AM
Lebron is no role model. Almost no pro athletes are, most of them partake in numerous bad deeds, but I'm not getting into that. The real role models of society should be teachers, doctors, firefighters, mentors, and volunteers. The op is using lebrons personal life as reason for people to believe he could be a mentor such as staying faithful to his wife, and having caring relationships with people. many real local heros/ role models just call that every day life.

There are no shortcuts to being a role model because at the end of the day, they still have to live the same lives they had before they woke up this morning.

kdspurman
09-15-2013, 10:23 AM
I don't think I would consider him a role model. I don't think he's a bad person, obviously a hell of a ball player & athlete. Just doesn't say role model to me. He doesn't seem like the most educated dude out there, and let's face it when you are the kind of athlete you are in high school that he was, education is 2nd on the priority list behind basketball.

I don't think the decision helped, obviously he could have handled that much better, but I still wouldn't say he's not a role model solely because of that. I also do think he's an egomaniac, but many players are these days anyway. I do think he's starting to become less of one. (I think)

From a basketball standpoint, of course he is someone you would want to try and emulate for obvious reasons. I have a 4 year old boy, I couldn't see myself telling him Lebron is a role model. Having said that, you have to understand my role model growing up in the league was David Robinson, so for me personally seeing not only his play but the way he carried himself on/off the court, I guess my expectations might be different than others. Now, this does not mean I only consider players like D-Rob as role models cause he's fairly unique as a superstar. But there are certain things I look for in a player

I respect Lebron obviously, and that's cool to hear about his charity contributions. I wasn't crazy about him his first few years in the league, I felt he was overrated and wasn't that great of a basketball player, more so just a great athlete, but was hailed as "the king". But he's worked on his game a lot and you have to respect that. He's finally maturing and realizing his potential.

BALLER R
09-15-2013, 11:26 AM
He's in the prime of his career and there isn't even rumors or gossip about him. He lives a clean life for all we know there is no reason for us to speculate otherwise. The most you would hear from someone is that he probably took HGH. I use to hate Lebron but his off court life is what actually got me into being a fan.

Burkey3472
09-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Ok, for the people saying that he isn't a role model, that's just wrong. You can argue the fact that athletes shouldn't be role models and that should go to the teachers, parents, firefighters, police officers in your life but that is completely different. Lebron is clearly a role model because millions of kids look up to him, they praise him and do everything to emulate him.

Hawkize31
09-15-2013, 12:01 PM

If you did that, should that one action define you for the rest of your life?

What I don't get is that athletes make mistakes all the time. Drugs, crimes, poor behavior, etc... Usually those mistakes don't define them forever. People are latched on so hard to one mistake of Lebron's, they refuse to see past anything else.

king4day
09-15-2013, 12:05 PM
The thing is, his 'decision' was done for charity reasons. I don't mind that, I just don't like how it was done. A lot of fans were hurt bad as it looked like he spit in their faces. As a player, I am impartial about him. I don't hate him but need to dislike someone. Since Kobe's career is coming to an end, he's the easiest victim. With success comes jealousy. With jealousy comes hatred.

Jesse2272
09-15-2013, 12:07 PM
The decision pissed me off

LBJ is a high character guy who ****ed up royally

one mistake doesn't make a man

FlashBolt
09-15-2013, 12:19 PM
It's funny. I highly doubt any of you would be mentioning the Decision if he chose your team. Remember, no one said a thing about the Decision before he actually made his decision. I never read a single storyline regarding whether or not this was a bad move by LeBron's management. However, as soon as he chose Miami, everyone needed an excuse to hate him. He's a great role model. He's not the best, but I can't name someone who is better for the league and for children than LeBron. The Decision raked in nearly 3 million for BGCOA. People overlook things and forget that 3 million was basically given by LeBron.

tredigs
09-15-2013, 12:24 PM
The man has lived up to his high school SI cover of "The Chosen One" and more for the NBA. He plays the game right and has never been in trouble or shown signs that he may. He's cocky (how could you not be growing up in the Corporate/Media-driven States of America with his life?), but "The Decision" is in no way an indictment of his character as a role model. You could easily argue it was a positive as it donated a massive sum to the Boys and Girls Club as well as gave it extra promotion. In either case, I've always maintained that the aftermath of it was laughably overblown by angry fanbases that didn't get him on their squad (2 of the leading candidates being massive media markets in Chi and NY didn't help). It's a blip on the map where nobody outside of die-hard Cleveland fans have reason to show ill will against.

By "eye test" he seems like a genuinely good guy, and as a top 10 athlete in the world, a natural role model whether people like it or not. He's not a bulls-eye from a role modeling standpoint, but you can't ask for much more from a person (a person who owes nobody a thing).

Jamiecballer
09-15-2013, 01:51 PM
he's about as good as they come. apart from one rather tactless decision he's a standup guy and teammate. considering the scrutiny on him it's really rather remarkable.

NetsPaint
09-15-2013, 07:39 PM
The funny thing about "The Decision" is I pictured him at a podium in an arena announcing it because of the incredible buzz long before there was any plans for this. Wasn't the right thing for him to do, but has there ever been so much hype for a free agent before? Maybe if it was done somewhat casually, a couple of minutes or so on TV, people wouldn't have been so upset.

He's not the best role model, but I don't have a problem with him being one.

mrblisterdundee
09-15-2013, 08:18 PM
Education's way more important than sports, so I'd look more to guys who put their education before the NBA, even if they knew they could make it big.
They include:
• Jeremy Lin, who graduated from Harvard University with a degree in economics;
• Tim Duncan, who graduated with a degree in psychology from Wake Forest;
• Steve Nash, who has a degree in sociology from Santa Clara University; and
• Roy Hobbert, who earned a degree in governmental studies from Georgetown University;
Dr. Shaquille O'Neal is another good role model. He left Louisiana State University for the NBA after three years but earned his bachelors in Business there in 2000, even missing a Lakers home game to attend his graduation ceremony. He studied broadcast journalism at Syracuse University, filmography at the New York Film Academy, later earned a Masters in Business Administration online through University of Phoenix and in 2012 earned his doctorate in human resource development from Barry University. He's even talked about attending law school.

Hawkeye15
09-15-2013, 08:39 PM
I will never for the life of me get why LeBron is hated outside anything but a player, because fans just hate great players at times. But as a man, he is exceptionally stronger than many of the great athletes most follow. Fact. Its the biggest reason I started to pull for him 5 years ago. I could not fathom how such a seemingly good person had so many wishing pure failure on him. And at this point, I realize as a basketball fan, we are watching the best since Jordan, absolutely zero argument. So now I want him to win to join the greatest of the great.

Hawkeye15
09-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Education's way more important than sports, so I'd look more to guys who put their education before the NBA, even if they knew they could make it big.
They include:
• Jeremy Lin, who graduated from Harvard University with a degree in economics;
• Tim Duncan, who graduated with a degree in psychology from Wake Forest;
• Steve Nash, who has a degree in sociology from Santa Clara University; and
• Roy Hobbert, who earned a degree in governmental studies from Georgetown University;
Dr. Shaquille O'Neal is another good role model. He left Louisiana State University for the NBA after three years but earned his bachelors in Business there in 2000, even missing a Lakers home game to attend his graduation ceremony. He studied broadcast journalism at Syracuse University, filmography at the New York Film Academy, later earned a Masters in Business Administration online through University of Phoenix and in 2012 earned his doctorate in human resource development from Barry University. He's even talked about attending law school.

while all commendable, please, LeBron had no business wasting time in college dude. None.

ElChinoLatino
09-15-2013, 08:59 PM
There are no shortcuts to being a role model because at the end of the day, they still have to live the same lives they had before they woke up this morning.

Classic LeBron.

big_w
09-15-2013, 09:54 PM
I always thought the 'hate' towards lebron was always vastly exaggerated.

Having said that, I absolutely LOVED IT when the heat struggled in their first season and eventually lost in the finals to the mavs. The legend of dirk benefited to an inordinate degree due to the hate surrounding lebron and the heat franchise in general.

Lebron certainly didn't commit a crime. And free agents obviously have the right to move on if they so desire. This is not slavery after all.

The question is, WHY does his personality, why do his 'decisions' rub so many people the wrong way?

You have almost no one stepping in to defend him. Lebron doesn't even defend his actions. Is the hatred purely hype?

Your argument in defense of him is completely rational, but from a strictly emotional perspective, lebron is very easy to dislike.

Conversely, someone like michael jordan, who presents himself as the ultimate 'nice guy,' was literally one of the scummiest sociopaths sports has ever seen.

amos1er
09-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Lebron will never be a role model as an athlete because of the way he went ring chasing in Miami. People respect players who don't need to team up with their rivals to win rings. Jordan said it best... "I wouldn't call Bird, call Magic and say "hey, lets get together and play on one team"". It's not very heroic to join forces with your greatest conference rivals to beat up on lesser competition. A truly great warrior is defined by his greatest enemies and his struggle to attain victory... Lebron took the easy way out and therefore does not deserve to be mentioned amongst the all time greats who had to to it the right way and didn't take shortcuts.

THE MTL
09-15-2013, 10:05 PM
He raised over a million dollars for the boys and girls Club from The Decision. That's the part of the story that everyone leaves out

THE MTL
09-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Lebron is a great role model. Do you understand how hard he must work to be where he is. The best basketball player on the planet. You people sicken me because his work effort for basketball surpasses the work ethic of any education field or corporate America. And he has no dirt on him as a player. ...no frauds, drugs, major attitude problems, fights, cheating, etc.

Now everyone isn't gifted like lebron but if you all can find something (whether its stocks medicine law business sports etc) and work as hard as King James for it then you'll be successful in life too.

Isn't that what a role model is....

Hawkeye15
09-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Lebron will never be a role model as an athlete because of the way he went ring chasing in Miami. People respect players who don't need to team up with their rivals to win rings. Jordan said it best... "I wouldn't call Bird, call Magic and say "hey, lets get together and play on one team"". It's not very heroic to join forces with your greatest conference rivals to beat up on lesser competition. A truly great warrior is defined by his greatest enemies and his struggle to attain victory... Lebron took the easy way out and therefore does not deserve to be mentioned amongst the all time greats who had to to it the right way and didn't take shortcuts.

so, your basic point is, you discredit anyone whose front office sucked and they needed to go find their rings, while completely ignoring that the players you speak of were drafted into and given chip help their whole career.

Cool beans.

Byronicle
09-15-2013, 10:36 PM
To be the best at anything you need an ego
Kobe and MJ all were cocky
Muhammed Ali is cocky
Its confidence

Hawkeye15
09-15-2013, 10:47 PM
To be the best at anything you need an ego
Kobe and MJ all were cocky
Muhammed Ali is cocky
Its confidence

sure, but you don't need to be a complete dick who cheats on his wife, like everyone you listed. Bron is none of this. Which is why the thread was started.

5ass
09-15-2013, 11:33 PM

There was nothing easy about their championship runs except the first rounds. Bosh got injured in 2012 and wade got injured in 2013. Yet he still managed to will his team to 2 rings. All in all for the 1st 10 seasons of their careers, Kobe has had much more help than Bron in the play offs, and more finals appearances. Why are you talking about "shortcuts"? "Shortcuts" dont matter. In the end, the talent he has in to work with in the play offs and his achievements define most of his career.

big_w
09-16-2013, 12:01 AM
There is an unspoken assumption that a player should stay with their original team and do everything they can to win a ring without abandoning ship.

On top of that, lebron was a local boy, and cleveland has had little to celebrate, and was instead the butt of numerous jokes.

I'm sure his decision to leave was heartbreaking given the circumstances, but he really did come across as insensitive and perhaps a bit pompous by televising his decision.

---

From a PR perspective, the decision was a disaster. But looking at this issue from a rational perspective, he had every right to leave. Practically speaking, cle has never had much success attracting top notch free agents.

He made the right decision, but he didn't announce it or spin it much finesse.

His bigger error was simply his slowness to comprehend how disappointed the city was; and how much fuel he gave to his haters.

He is so sheltered, coddled and pampered, he doesn't 'get' why he should be empathetic.

hugepatsfan
09-16-2013, 12:05 AM
sure, but you don't need to be a complete dick who cheats on his wife, like everyone you listed. Bron is none of this. Which is why the thread was started.

Yeah he's probably a better person in real life than any of them. Or at least seems like it. But on the court I find those guys much more fun to root for because they're all dicks but they embrace it. Lebron is just such a fake person when he talks. Way too politically correct all the time and it just comes off as feeding us bull ****. Better in real life probably but I watch sports for entertainment. I don't look up to any athlete as personal role models because what do any of us really know about them personally?

Rndy
09-16-2013, 12:09 AM
I think the College thing hurt him a bit but I don't see why not? You never hear of this guy getting in trouble. MJ as great as he was he was a terrible person. LBJ for all the pressure he's under there are no bad stories outside of basketball.

amos1er
09-16-2013, 12:11 AM
He raised over a million dollars for the boys and girls Club from The Decision. That's the part of the story that everyone leaves out

As a philanthropist he is a good role model. But as a competitor, he is not. A true warrior thrives off facing the fiercest competition. Lebron took two of his greatest rivals from his own conference and draft and teamed up with them to beat up on weaker competition. Lebron is more of an easy way out kind of guy more than he is a guy who wants to face the toughest challenge.

amos1er
09-16-2013, 12:16 AM
so, your basic point is, you discredit anyone whose front office sucked and they needed to go find their rings, while completely ignoring that the players you speak of were drafted into and given chip help their whole career.

Cool beans.

Fact remains that he teamed up with two superstars in his own conference who were both top five picks in the same draft year as him and he took less money to do it. We have never seen, nor will he likely ever see anything like this ever again.

amos1er
09-16-2013, 12:17 AM
There was nothing easy about their championship runs except the first rounds. Bosh got injured in 2012 and wade got injured in 2013. Yet he still managed to will his team to 2 rings. All in all for the 1st 10 seasons of their careers, Kobe has had much more help than Bron in the play offs, and more finals appearances. Why are you talking about "shortcuts"? "Shortcuts" dont matter. In the end, the talent he has in to work with in the play offs and his achievements define most of his career.

:laugh:

big_w
09-16-2013, 12:26 AM
As a philanthropist he is a good role model. But as a competitor, he is not. A true warrior thrives off facing the fiercest competition. Lebron took two of his greatest rivals from his own conference and draft and teamed up with them to beat up on weaker competition. Lebron is more of an easy way out kind of guy more than he is a guy who wants to face the toughest challenge.

Wade and Bosh were considered elite at their respective positions, but their teams were not. The heat with wade and spo were mediocre and the raptors with bosh were just plain awful. The cavs were actually a far superior team than the heat or the raptors.

amos1er
09-16-2013, 12:27 AM
If I were a young up and coming basketball phenom I would not look to James for inspiration in terms of being a firey competitor. He is much more of a physical specimen and a shortcut taker than he is a guy who really thrives of competition and a love for the game. If he didn't have such a physical advantage and top notch marketing team behind him, he would be an average player at best. Pound for pound he is not someone to look up to as a role model. He was just blessed with the top .9999999% of the basketball gene pool and marketing campaign. Not every player can train to achieve those things. Those are just things you can't teach. He is not an inspiration for hard work and dedication at all.

big_w
09-16-2013, 12:29 AM
I think the College thing hurt him a bit but I don't see why not? You never hear of this guy getting in trouble. MJ as great as he was he was a terrible person. LBJ for all the pressure he's under there are no bad stories outside of basketball.

Jordan was a degenerate gambler who hung out with low-lifes; he cheated on his wife every chance he could get, and he basically treated everyone, including his so-called friends, like dirt.

But he mastered the PR game with a sly intelligence and prowess that lebron simply doesn't have the wits for.

It's sad, really.

amos1er
09-16-2013, 12:30 AM
Wade and Bosh were considered elite at their respective positions, but their teams were not. The heat with wade and spo were mediocre and the raptors with bosh were just plain awful. The cavs were actually a far superior team than the heat or the raptors.

Thats because those Cavs teams weren't all as bad as you make them out to be. They were above average for the east for sure. Far better than what Bosh and Wade had to work with in 2009 and 2010. Wade was a champion before he teamed up with James. Though the refs did give him quite an assist.

therealwd27
09-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Thats because those Cavs teams weren't all as bad as you make them out to be. They were above average for the east for sure. Far better than what Bosh and Wade had to work with in 2009 and 2010. Wade was a champion before he teamed up with James. Though the refs did give him quite an assist.

Lol let's not get started on refs and assist, you must have selective memory.

Lakers vs Kings ring a bell? -_-

todu82
09-16-2013, 09:52 AM
I disagree with any celebrity being a role model. That said Lebron does seem like a good guy.

Cal827
09-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Yup. Seems like a class act off the court. Just a few I would put ahead of him

In before someone tries to say that Kobe is a better example. :facepalm:

therealwd27
09-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Yup. Seems like a class act off the court. Just a few I would put ahead of him

In before someone tries to say that Kobe is a better example. :facepalm:

This. But your too late man lol

crazy the hate LBJ gets

Cal827
09-16-2013, 10:33 AM
This. But your too late man lol

crazy the hate LBJ gets

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:

The OP said off the court, no?

What is wrong with people?

Hawkeye15
09-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Yeah he's probably a better person in real life than any of them. Or at least seems like it. But on the court I find those guys much more fun to root for because they're all dicks but they embrace it. Lebron is just such a fake person when he talks. Way too politically correct all the time and it just comes off as feeding us bull ****. Better in real life probably but I watch sports for entertainment. I don't look up to any athlete as personal role models because what do any of us really know about them personally?

I don't root for people who embrace themselves as *** holes, sorry. And Bron is not a good public speaker, he has learned that, and probably keeps to the basics.

Hawkeye15
09-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Fact remains that he teamed up with two superstars in his own conference who were both top five picks in the same draft year as him and he took less money to do it. We have never seen, nor will he likely ever see anything like this ever again.

A- how does that impact being a role model?
B- oh, yes we will dude.

bucketss
09-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Though the refs did give him quite an assist.

who said laker fans respect champions? its all about championships they said.

amos1er
09-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Lol let's not get started on refs and assist, you must have selective memory.

Lakers vs Kings ring a bell? -_-

Well, I can express my thoughts for some of you who clearly did not watch that series.

For one, during the whole series, the Kings shot 204 FTs and the Lakers shot 185 FTs.

In the controversial game 6, the Lakers shot 15 more FTs than the Kings did for the whole game. What is often mentioned by people who did actually watch the whole series is that game 6 was the reversal of game 5, which the Kings got the beneficial calls that sealed the win for them.

Also, to point out, the largest FT discrepancy came in game 3, where the Kings shot 20 more FTs than the Lakers did. In game 2, the Kings shot 13 more FTs than the Lakers did.

Up until game 6, it was believed by many players that the Kings were getting lots of help. Mobley mentioned this on the Best Damn Sports Show between games 5 and 6.

In the end, the Kings had a 10+ FT advantage in 3 of the 7 games. The Lakers only had 1 game where they shot more than a double digit against the Kings. Kind of odd when one team has a near prime Shaq and a prime Kobe, no?

Watch the whole series and then let's talk. Until then, it's useless to debate.

topdog
09-17-2013, 12:12 AM
I think part of Lebron's problem is that he seems like he really wants/tries to be liked which can be off-putting. The other bigger part is that he's such a huge star and so has a huge target on his back.

I'd rather not have my children take on sports figures as role models and I don't think that other stuff about Lebron really comes through enough for a child to know about.

seikou8
09-17-2013, 12:24 AM
if i were a young up and coming basketball phenom i would not look to james for inspiration in terms of being a firey competitor. He is much more of a physical specimen and a shortcut taker than he is a guy who really thrives of competition and a love for the game. If he didn't have such a physical advantage and top notch marketing team behind him, he would be an average player at best. pound for pound he is not someone to look up to as a role model. He was just blessed with the top .9999999% of the basketball gene pool and marketing campaign. Not every player can train to achieve those things. Those are just things you can't teach. He is not an inspiration for hard work and dedication at all.

wow i know lbj haters and kobe dickers riders and lebron james dick riders but damn u take the cake always derailing a thread with your nonsense let it go can u damn we get it lebron is this and lebron is that have u ever looked at your posts get a grip

amos1er
09-17-2013, 02:58 AM
A- how does that impact being a role model?

Off the court I am not making an argument. Lebron is quite the philanthropist. As are most NBA players due to the NBA cares program. It's all mostly PR, but they do some good so I won't judge much on how true their convictions may or may not be. However, on the court, I just can't see Lebron as someone young aspiring athletes can look up too. All his talents are god given and the media has played a fair share in his fame and hype. These are not things that can be attained through hard work and dedication, therefore there is little to be aspired to in terms of realistic goals a young pheonom might have.

Also, his "decision" to team up with two top five picks in his own draft year and the fact that he took less money to do so is not an admirable trait to a true competitor and warrior. No one in the history of the NBA who currently resides in the top 20 of all time has ever taken less money to team up with two of their most competitive conference rivals who were both drafted in the top five the same year.

B- oh, yes we will dude.

We have never seen that, nor will we ever. Kevin Durant (or any young up and comer for that matter) would never do such a thing. He is a real man and would rather go out giving it everything he has than win like a punk. Come talk to me when there is a repeat of "The Decision". Until then, Lebron stands on a lone island on this matter.

amos1er
09-17-2013, 03:00 AM
wow i know lbj haters and kobe dickers riders and lebron james dick riders but damn u take the cake always derailing a thread with your nonsense let it go can u damn we get it lebron is this and lebron is that have u ever looked at your posts get a grip

I am completely on topic. This thread is about Lebron as a "role model" and I gave my opinion. Either make a counter argument or move on.

Delrayhc
09-17-2013, 07:32 AM

I am completely on topic. This thread is about Lebron as a "role model" and I gave my opinion. Either make a counter argument or move on.

Actually the op asked if Lebron is a role model as a human and not what he does on the court. I think you should go back and read the bottom of the first post.

sammyvine
09-17-2013, 07:41 AM
how can you consider lebron a role model?

most pro athletes are poor role models but if you wanted a nba role model than maybe tim duncan or grant hill are the way to go?

why the hell you would you want lebron or even kobe as a role model is beyond. just because lebron married his high school sweetheart doesn't mean he is a good person or role model material

sammyvine
09-17-2013, 07:43 AM
while all commendable, please, LeBron had no business wasting time in college dude. None.

just because you dont value education doesnt mean most dont

of course he was always bound to make money from a young age, but getting a degree is no bad thing

sammyvine
09-17-2013, 07:44 AM

how do you know he doesnt cheat? just because it hasnt come out, doesnt mean he doesnt. most pro athletes cheat on their partners. your naive if you think they don't

Hawkeye15
09-17-2013, 11:56 AM
just because you dont value education doesnt mean most dont

of course he was always bound to make money from a young age, but getting a degree is no bad thing

Don't put words in my mouth please. I do value education, but if I have a child who is 6'7", 220 lbs, and can absolutely dominate as the best prospect in decades at age 18, excuse me if I don't blink if he says, "Dad, instead of wasting a year in college and then going pro, I am going to make $5 million instead of taking biology and history for a year".

You can always go to school. Your earning power in sports is far less, and it's not as if LeBron was a risk. He was the most physically mature, ready made prospect in 2 decades.

Hawkeye15
09-17-2013, 11:56 AM
how do you know he doesnt cheat? just because it hasnt come out, doesnt mean he doesnt. most pro athletes cheat on their partners. your naive if you think they don't

correction, if it makes you happy.

LeBron hasn't been caught cheating or charged with a crime....

Happy?

Hawkeye15
09-17-2013, 11:57 AM

most pro athletes are poor role models but if you wanted a nba role model than maybe tim duncan or grant hill are the way to go?

why the hell you would you want lebron or even kobe as a role model is beyond. just because lebron married his high school sweetheart doesn't mean he is a good person or role model material

I think a lot of people would agree. Athletes period just don't make the greatest role models.

mjm07
09-17-2013, 01:51 PM

Curious...what makes Duncan and Hill better role models than Lebron?

Hawkeye15
09-17-2013, 02:08 PM

They were college grads is prolly why. Like I said, when a phenom like LeBron comes along at age 18, he would be almost stupid to even waste time in college.

Heatcheck
09-17-2013, 02:13 PM

Never been arrested or accused of anything, has multiple charities, always talking about team and making the right basketball play, has shown the dedication to work on and improve his game throughout his career....terrible role model

ramsizzle
09-17-2013, 02:42 PM
correction, if it makes you happy.

LeBron hasn't been caught cheating or charged with a crime....

Happy?

You know damn well what happened with that case, you are smarter than this post. I wish kobe pulled a shaq there and just threw a million at her. There would be no noise.

ramsizzle
09-17-2013, 02:45 PM

A person who has exemplified professionalism throughout his career - Duncan and Hill, Well spoken and highly educated as well.

Lebron wears shirts that say "check my stat$" after losing in the finals and can't control his damn mother from embarrassing the heck out of him. Hill and Duncan would NEVER say what he said after the 2011 finals (the at the end of the day i'm rich and your lives suck comment.)

Hawkeye15
09-17-2013, 02:50 PM
You know damn well what happened with that case, you are smarter than this post. I wish kobe pulled a shaq there and just threw a million at her. There would be no noise.

sooooo, it still happened dude.

mjm07
09-17-2013, 02:55 PM
They were college grads is prolly why. Like I said, when a phenom like LeBron comes along at age 18, he would be almost stupid to even waste time in college.

I do not disagree.

ramsizzle
09-17-2013, 02:56 PM
sooooo, it still happened dude.

So you shouldn't hold a money grab against Kobe. I can assure you that your mind would not be thinking this if such a thing happened to Mr. James.

Heatcheck
09-17-2013, 03:13 PM
A person who has exemplified professionalism throughout his career - Duncan and Hill, Well spoken and highly educated as well.

Lebron wears shirts that say "check my stat$" after losing in the finals and can't control his damn mother from embarrassing the heck out of him. Hill and Duncan would NEVER say what he said after the 2011 finals (the at the end of the day i'm rich and your lives suck comment.)

A) he cant control a grown woman. you cant hold someone responsible for the actions of others
B) all he said was that energy people spent on being spiteful and nasty too is being wasted because it doesn't make his life any worse (he's still rich and a great pro ball player). and it doesn't make theirs any better (you have the same bills to pay and the same problems you had before). you wasted time and energy that could've been put to doing something constructive.

smiddy012
09-17-2013, 03:16 PM
To me it's not so much about the decision, but the way he plays the game. If I'm my 10 year olds basketball coach, I don't want him necessarily to emulate Lebrons flopping. Now if my kid really wants to learn how to flop, I'd have him look at DWade (he can make it look like an art form). Meanwhile Lebron should either quit trying or really work on his flopping. Some of his flops have been pretty terrible... Like soccer flop terrible.

ramsizzle
09-17-2013, 03:35 PM
A) he cant control a grown woman. you cant hold someone responsible for the actions of others
B) all he said was that energy people spent on being spiteful and nasty too is being wasted because it doesn't make his life any worse (he's still rich and a great pro ball player). and it doesn't make theirs any better (you have the same bills to pay and the same problems you had before). you wasted time and energy that could've been put to doing something constructive.

He is the breadwinner and she lives around him. She is an extension of Lebron, lets be serious here. If shes acting out it reflects on Lebron and he needs to check that. And you aren't getting it....those things didn't need to be said! I'm not saying lebron is a terrible role model, but he def isn't a great choice. Though his bottom to the top story is quite amazing.

Hawkeye15
09-17-2013, 03:55 PM
So you shouldn't hold a money grab against Kobe. I can assure you that your mind would not be thinking this if such a thing happened to Mr. James.

sure it would. Kobe is responsible for his actions, just like everyone else should be.

Hawkeye15
09-17-2013, 03:56 PM
To me it's not so much about the decision, but the way he plays the game. If I'm my 10 year olds basketball coach, I don't want him necessarily to emulate Lebrons flopping. Now if my kid really wants to learn how to flop, I'd have him look at DWade (he can make it look like an art form). Meanwhile Lebron should either quit trying or really work on his flopping. Some of his flops have been pretty terrible... Like soccer flop terrible.

flopping is what you get from LeBron's game?

ghettosean
09-17-2013, 04:09 PM
I have no sports players personally that are role models for me... I can maybe say and this is just maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Mat Sundin of the Toronto Maple Leafs.... I remember 1 year him fracturing his wrist in the playoffs after getting a dirty check into the boards and then he came back in less than 2 weeks to continue to play. I broke my wrist before snowboarding so I know what it's like and there is no human way you can come back after 2 weeks usually takes 2 months or more never mind playing hockey against the greatest players in the world right afterwards. Huge respect for my boy Mats after that!!! At that point in my life though I'd say I was too old to have a role model but I definitely admired his courage.

That was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic getting back on track a role model in my opinion is someone to look up to and emulate and I don't think 99% of athletes today are role models.

Nelson Mandela is a role model... Mahatma Ghandi is a role model, Malcolm X is a role model...

These are guys that tried to make a real difference in the world and I believe are someone to look up to as far as my hero Mats or Lebron they are just athletes at the end of the day.

Just my opinion (though I had to bet my Sundin story in there sorry all... lol)

ramsizzle
09-17-2013, 04:12 PM
sure it would. Kobe is responsible for his actions, just like everyone else should be.

HIS ACTIONS? Take those blinders off buddy. HE WAS A VICTIM OF A MONEY GRAB. The woman celebrated having sex with him until she was told it could be a payday. But lets just throw that away because "he must be responsible for his actions"

NYCkid12
09-17-2013, 04:43 PM

I personally will never hold this against him at all. His mother is a grown woman and is responsible for her own actions. That shouldn't have any reflection on LeBron.

Hawkeye15
09-17-2013, 05:31 PM
HIS ACTIONS? Take those blinders off buddy. HE WAS A VICTIM OF A MONEY GRAB. The woman celebrated having sex with him until she was told it could be a payday. But lets just throw that away because "he must be responsible for his actions"

he decided to cheat on his wife and was publically caught. Yes, his actions.

big_w
09-17-2013, 06:15 PM
This thread saddens me. Set some goals for yourself and work towards them in a principled and honorable way. Be kind to others. Learn the power of forgiveness. It's very simple.

Look within for inspiration.

MaloDaw9
09-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Most kids in this generation love him and look up to him the same way kids in my generation saw MJ. He is the best player in the league, he's a hard worker and stays out of trouble. I think Lebron is a good role model.

*Not for me though, I can't stand the guy ;)

mrblisterdundee
09-17-2013, 07:09 PM

The whole point of this thread is picking role models. Of course I'm listing the college educated over a talented, albeit fairly ignorant, slab of meat like James.

bucketss
09-17-2013, 07:13 PM

or maybe the coach would want them to emulate lebron unselfishness on the court, always look for your teammates, his basketball iq, ball handling skills etc....

bucketss
09-17-2013, 07:15 PM
I have no sports players personally that are role models for me... I can maybe say and this is just maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Mat Sundin of the Toronto Maple Leafs.... I remember 1 year him fracturing his wrist in the playoffs after getting a dirty check into the boards and then he came back in less than 2 weeks to continue to play. I broke my wrist before snowboarding so I know what it's like and there is no human way you can come back after 2 weeks usually takes 2 months or more never mind playing hockey against the greatest players in the world right afterwards. Huge respect for my boy Mats after that!!! At that point in my life though I'd say I was too old to have a role model but I definitely admired his courage.

That was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic getting back on track a role model in my opinion is someone to look up to and emulate and I don't think 99% of athletes today are role models.

Nelson Mandela is a role model... Mahatma Ghandi is a role model, Malcolm X is a role model...

These are guys that tried to make a real difference in the world and I believe are someone to look up to as far as my hero Mats or Lebron they are just athletes at the end of the day.

Just my opinion (though I had to bet my Sundin story in there sorry all... lol)

ghandi was a racist and mandela was a terrorist ............. some would say

sammyvine
09-17-2013, 07:26 PM

because they are classier than the likes of lebron...well spoken, come across as well, not overly arrogant etc...alot of young players may just want to be nba player for the $$$ whilst hill and duncan proved that they wanted more as they stayed in college for 4 years.

do you honestly think lebron is a better role model than tim duncan/grant hill?

therealwd27
09-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Donates millions to charity, created and funded multiple charity foundations, never in trouble with the law, came from the ghetto, was raised in a single parent household never knowing his dad. Look at where he is now? Some of your alls hate for LeBron is downright blasphemous.

He is an upright man in his community and looked up to by millions of people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V2b9uwOPvmY

bucketss
09-17-2013, 07:39 PM
because they are classier than the likes of lebron...well spoken, come across as well, not overly arrogant etc...alot of young players may just want to be nba player for the $$$ whilst hill and duncan proved that they wanted more as they stayed in college for 4 years.

yep, he grew up in akron, with only his mom raising him, if you look at the statistics, he isn't suppose to be here, the fact he has no criminal past, and he went from the bottom all the way to become the best basketball player in the world,probably best basketball player we have seen since jordan, is amazing. great role model for kids who are living in bad situations, they know that, whatever their situation is.. they can achieve greatness.

not to mention his charitable contributions, also marrying his highschool sweet heart, and also never being accused of infidelity,

bucketss
09-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Donates millions to charity, created and funded multiple charity foundations, never in trouble with the law, came from the ghetto, was raised in a single parent household never knowing his dad. Look at where he is now? Some of your alls hate for LeBron is downright blasphemous.

He is an upright man in his community and looked up to by millions of people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V2b9uwOPvmY

exactly, they hate him because hes better than their heros, i guess it hurts them inside.

Hawkeye15
09-17-2013, 08:08 PM
The whole point of this thread is picking role models. Of course I'm listing the college educated over a talented, albeit fairly ignorant, slab of meat like James.

While I agree that no father wants a pro athlete as his kids idol, um, LeBron can have my bachelor's degree and education, and I will take his $300 million by careers end....

Hawkeye15
09-17-2013, 08:10 PM

riddle me this. When did Duncan or Hill ever get the public scrutiny, negativity, or any type of exposure that LeBron James has gotten?

"Lebron, your **** was irregular this morning, care to comment?"

I mean, cmon.

ramsizzle
09-17-2013, 11:08 PM
riddle me this. When did Duncan or Hill ever get the public scrutiny, negativity, or any type of exposure that LeBron James has gotten?

I mean, cmon.
That makes him a better role model? Lebron openly tried to fight delonte west in a hotel. Yeah, role model. Everyone wants to be lebron, that's a given. He is not a great role model. Get over it.*

Bostonjorge
09-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Lebron is quitter he quit on Cleveland in the playoffs and quit on Cleveland when they gave him everything. He then joined another's players team because he couldn't lead a team with out quitting when it got tough.

Every great player donates to charity and do the make a wish thing.

He's a role model to bully kids who like to pick on weaker kids but not the kid being picked on who needs to rise to the occasion. Lebron has no story where he beat the bigger or stronger bully team.

Hawkeye15
09-18-2013, 01:14 AM
That makes him a better role model? Lebron openly tried to fight delonte west in a hotel. Yeah, role model. Everyone wants to be lebron, that's a given. He is not a great role model. Get over it.*

Please ignore the countless posts I have made stating and athlete is a poor role model in this thread, but continue to protect your agenda, Kobe.

hugepatsfan
09-18-2013, 01:19 AM

I mean, cmon.

When did Duncan or Hill ever claim they want to be the first billionaire athlete? Do Hill or Duncan wear "check my stats" T-shirts? Do Duncan or Hill party as visibly as Lebron does? He brings a lot of it on himself. And I'm not even criticizing him for it. But he has to recognize that if he wants to live the extravagant superstar lifestyle then he is going to get the good AND the bad that comes with it. Lebron loves the good things about being a superstar but *****es and moans about the bad things. He's just out of touch with the reality of life because he's been pampered his whole professional life.

Hawkeye15
09-18-2013, 01:35 AM
When did Duncan or Hill ever claim they want to be the first billionaire athlete? Do Hill or Duncan wear "check my stats" T-shirts? Do Duncan or Hill party as visibly as Lebron does? He brings a lot of it on himself. And I'm not even criticizing him for it. But he has to recognize that if he wants to live the extravagant superstar lifestyle then he is going to get the good AND the bad that comes with it. Lebron loves the good things about being a superstar but *****es and moans about the bad things. He's just out of touch with the reality of life because he's been pampered his whole professional life.

no argument at all with your points. Do you think the majority in the same situation are going to act/be the same?

hugepatsfan
09-18-2013, 02:07 AM
no argument at all with your points. Do you think the majority in the same situation are going to act/be the same?

I'd say yes. Not too many people have ever been in his situation though so it's hard to say but I would lean heavily towards yes.

Lebron seems like one of those people that's GREAT to the people important to him but totally dismissive of anyone else. If you aren't in his inner circle (friends, family, teammates) then you're just a pawn to him. Nothing he says ever comes off as genuine to me. He even comes off as condescending to me but it could just be trying too hard to say the right thing. It's like he sits and thinks to himself "what should I say to help my image the most." I can't root for people like that which is why even though I've always acknowledged Lebron's talent I still root for him to lose every game he plays. He's not a likable player at all to me. His attitude embodies everything I hate about my generation - the "if you criticize me at all it isn't because I'm wrong it's because you're a hater" attitude. He's not alone in that but he's by far the best player which I admit makes my opinion stronger. The best players bring out stronger emotions.

My criticisms of Lebron have always been about how he conducts himself in the basketball setting. I avoid commenting on personal issues because I don't know the players at all (beyond general commentary like cheating on your wife is bad, DUIs are stupid, etc.). Like I said, Lebron seems like he's a good person to the people that are important to him as far as I can tell.

I talked before about "embracing being an *******." Let me explain a little more what I meant by that. Kobe, Jordan, guys like that don't try and hide their egos. I've just always found that people who try to hide their big egos come off as even bigger *******s because they just aren't good at it so it sounds forced. In the sports setting I've always liked cockiness so I find those guys easier to root for when I'm watching a game. If they carry that over to their personal life, then that's not good. (Although for what it's worth I went to HS w/ a girl who swam in the Olympics in 08 and she said Kobe was actually a really nice guy and Lebron was a dick. I don't really put too much stock into that though but it was interesting to me because that was when Lebron was younger and I didn't think he came off as bad as he started to later in his career.)

sammyvine
09-18-2013, 04:37 AM
yep, he grew up in akron, with only his mom raising him, if you look at the statistics, he isn't suppose to be here, the fact he has no criminal past, and he went from the bottom all the way to become the best basketball player in the world,probably best basketball player we have seen since jordan, is amazing. great role model for kids who are living in bad situations, they know that, whatever their situation is.. they can achieve greatness.

not to mention his charitable contributions, also marrying his highschool sweet heart, and also never being accused of infidelity,

so marrying your high school sweetheart makes you a role model? so many people to that....i don't see why fans should trophy that.
all i said is that tim duncan and grant hill are classier players/come across better than lebron/kobe. is that abad thing?

sammyvine
09-18-2013, 04:40 AM

I mean, cmon.

the scrutiny he got was overboard but nobody asked him to do the decision. if he left cleveland the way garnett left minnosta, he wouldn't have received half the hate he got. If your going to do a whole tv thing about leaving your current team expect flack for it.

also you act like he was in prison lol? he got hate from people on twitter/forums etc...i mean who cares about what randoms think.
kobe, jordan all got hate. they managed fine. Lebron coped also as well by the looks of things.

sammyvine
09-18-2013, 04:43 AM
I'd say yes. Not too many people have ever been in his situation though so it's hard to say but I would lean heavily towards yes.

Lebron seems like one of those people that's GREAT to the people important to him but totally dismissive of anyone else. If you aren't in his inner circle (friends, family, teammates) then you're just a pawn to him. Nothing he says ever comes off as genuine to me. He even comes off as condescending to me but it could just be trying too hard to say the right thing. It's like he sits and thinks to himself "what should I say to help my image the most." I can't root for people like that which is why even though I've always acknowledged Lebron's talent I still root for him to lose every game he plays. He's not a likable player at all to me. His attitude embodies everything I hate about my generation - the "if you criticize me at all it isn't because I'm wrong it's because you're a hater" attitude. He's not alone in that but he's by far the best player which I admit makes my opinion stronger. The best players bring out stronger emotions.

My criticisms of Lebron have always been about how he conducts himself in the basketball setting. I avoid commenting on personal issues because I don't know the players at all (beyond general commentary like cheating on your wife is bad, DUIs are stupid, etc.). Like I said, Lebron seems like he's a good person to the people that are important to him as far as I can tell.

I talked before about "embracing being an *******." Let me explain a little more what I meant by that. Kobe, Jordan, guys like that don't try and hide their egos. I've just always found that people who try to hide their big egos come off as even bigger *******s because they just aren't good at it so it sounds forced. In the sports setting I've always liked cockiness so I find those guys easier to root for when I'm watching a game. If they carry that over to their personal life, then that's not good. (Although for what it's worth I went to HS w/ a girl who swam in the Olympics in 08 and she said Kobe was actually a really nice guy and Lebron was a dick. I don't really put too much stock into that though but it was interesting to me because that was when Lebron was younger and I didn't think he came off as bad as he started to later in his career.)

lebron is supposed to be really horrible to fans as well. he talks about how he ''love his fans'' but a child asks him for an autograph and he just straight blanks him
i mean wtf?

amos1er
09-18-2013, 04:59 AM
Lebron is quitter he quit on Cleveland in the playoffs and quit on Cleveland when they gave him everything. He then joined another's players team because he couldn't lead a team with out quitting when it got tough.

He's a role model to bully kids who like to pick on weaker kids but not the kid being picked on who needs to rise to the occasion. Lebron has no story where he beat the bigger or stronger bully team.

A very excellent point! Lebron never had to overcome adversity in his life. When the going got tough in Cleveland, he got going to form a superteam the likes of which have never been seen before. He then beat up on significantly weaker opponents en route to his two titles. He practically chocked against a old washed up Spurs team and thanks to some key mistakes and some miracle plays down the stretch, all his worshipers will talk about is the fact that he has two titles. How can anyone look up to that? I prefer the story of David and Goliath myself. Not Goliath joining up with Sampson and Hercules to crush David which is exactly what Lebron is doing now.

sammyvine
09-18-2013, 05:28 AM
A very excellent point! Lebron never had to overcome adversity in his life. When the going got tough in Cleveland, he got going to form a superteam the likes of which have never been seen before. He then beat up on significantly weaker opponents en route to his two titles. He practically chocked against a old washed up Spurs team and thanks to some key mistakes and some miracle plays down the stretch, all his worshipers will talk about is the fact that he has two titles. How can anyone look up to that? I prefer the story of David and Goliath myself. Not Goliath joining up with Sampson and Hercules to crush David which is exactly what Lebron is doing now.

what?

mjm07
09-18-2013, 09:33 AM

I'm going out on a limb here and guess...you were the weaker kid. Booo to Bullies!!

mjm07
09-18-2013, 09:35 AM
the scrutiny he got was overboard but nobody asked him to do the decision. if he left cleveland the way garnett left minnosta, he wouldn't have received half the hate he got. If your going to do a whole tv thing about leaving your current team expect flack for it.

also you act like he was in prison lol? he got hate from people on twitter/forums etc...i mean who cares about what randoms think.
kobe, jordan all got hate. they managed fine. Lebron coped also as well by the looks of things.

Not even close to the level of hate Lebron has received since joining a better franchise.

Heatcheck
09-18-2013, 10:30 AM

I was wondering how a player can average 28 9 and 7 with a triple double the last game, and be accused of quitting, but then I read the part about them giving him everything and the last sentence and realized how ridiculous your thought process is.

ManRam
09-18-2013, 01:31 PM
I haven't said anything from the OP. Maybe I'll say more later. But really, this is my stance.

I think athletes as role models are pointless/meaningless unless in all facets unless you are speaking athletically. I've had some ****** athletic role models in my life, perhaps most obviously my namesake, but I don't think that's impacted me at all. I think most every athlete, besides the significant outliers, make for **** role models. Adonal Foyle should be 100x the role model Dwight ever was, but Dwight was good so kids loved him. Just gotta make it clear to the young'ns that they're only perceived as role models because of their athletic abilities. Coaches I also think make for poor role models.

If my hypothetical future son idolized any athlete, I don't think I'd worry. Even if it was A-Rod, Dwight, Kobe, Luis Suarez, Ryan Bruan, etc. I'd just make it clear that they are famous because they've worked hard and are blessed athletically, and that that's where worshiping them, rooting for them and emulating them should end. Strive to achieve their athletic success, I guess...but nothing more.

Myron Rolle: great role model. Pat Summit: great role model. Pat Tillman: great role model. And so on and so on. Those are good role models. Even though I don't think LeBron is a "bad" role model, I don't think he stands out from the rest of athletes in terms of role models...nor do I think he's an exception, like those three above, or Cal Ripken, Mo Rivera, and so on.

Athletes just make for **** role models 9.9 times out of 10s. But I don't think they're harmful ones either. It's OK for kids to root for just about everyone.

ManRam
09-18-2013, 01:33 PM

Except for another great player. Sure.

We can debate whether or not a bad playoff game or two = quitting.

But since when did leaving in FA = quitting.

Has every player that's left a team after 7 years or whatever, in free agency, a "quitter"? Come on. If we're gonna jump to that than 99% of the league are "quitters".

smiddy012
09-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Not even close to the level of hate Lebron has received since joining a better franchise.

And that's the way it should be. They would've never quit on their team DURING a fricken game lol

smiddy012
09-18-2013, 02:20 PM
The pathetic part is that most of the Lebron fanboys here didn't even watch the Cleveland/Boston series where Lebron literally/visibly gave up on his team. Someone will look up his stats, without ever having watched the series, to counter this "argument." But anyone who's watch Lebron play throughout his career, along with that series, knows that Lebron took his foot off the gas that series, not giving 100% in the process. And the funny part is that I had nothing but respect for the guy before that. Many players would literally die before not leaving it all on the court, Lebron sure as hell isn't one of them.

ramsizzle
09-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Please ignore the countless posts I have made stating and athlete is a poor role model in this thread, but continue to protect your agenda, Kobe.

Agenda? My agenda is Lebron is a bad role model. He is a once in a generation athlete and basically hit the genetic lotto. Thank the lord that man made it out of Akron and is as successful as he is. Kobe? You really are sad :laugh: what did Kobe do you? its okay, Lebron doesn't have to be the greatest at everything.

Heatcheck
09-18-2013, 02:37 PM
The pathetic part is that most of the Lebron fanboys here didn't even watch the Cleveland/Boston series where Lebron literally/visibly gave up on his team. Someone will look up his stats, without ever having watched the series, to counter this "argument." But anyone who's watch Lebron play throughout his career, along with that series, knows that Lebron took his foot off the gas that series, not giving 100% in the process. And the funny part is that I had nothing but respect for the guy before that. Many players would literally die before not leaving it all on the court, Lebron sure as hell isn't one of them.

Yeah what a quitter. he should've AT LEAST averaged a triple double that series. And what first option do you know only averages 28 ppg in the ECF? sad to think kids might want to emulate this guy. to think what Cleveland could've built around him if he had only given them some time.

Hawkeye15
09-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Agenda? My agenda is Lebron is a bad role model. He is a once in a generation athlete and basically hit the genetic lotto. Thank the lord that man made it out of Akron and is as successful as he is. Kobe? You really are sad :laugh: what did Kobe do you? its okay, Lebron doesn't have to be the greatest at everything.

Dude, you are flying in here saying LeBron isn't a role model (which I agree on), and stating that we should ignore Kobe's rape trial, because it was a money grab. I stated I think Kobe's actions for sure are a knock on him.

Not sure who you are, but you clearly like to stir it up for no reason.

Hawkeye15
09-18-2013, 03:54 PM

it's a matter of perception. Did he take his foot off the gas for a game? Maybe. Was he hurting? We will never know. You act as if a ton of players, even superstars, haven't half assed it through a playoff game. I have not seen a player will a roster that bad to that much success in my basketball watching lifetime. Dude was probably worn to the bone. If you call him a quitter for one game, then you may as well call the lions share of stars over time quitters.

sammyvine
09-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Dude, you are flying in here saying LeBron isn't a role model (which I agree on), and stating that we should ignore Kobe's rape trial, because it was a money grab. I stated I think Kobe's actions for sure are a knock on him.

who cares though
we dont know kobe or lebron personally so we cant say what they really are like?

Heatcheck
09-18-2013, 04:19 PM
it's a matter of perception. Did he take his foot off the gas for a game? Maybe. Was he hurting? We will never know. You act as if a ton of players, even superstars, haven't half assed it through a playoff game. I have not seen a player will a roster that bad to that much success in my basketball watching lifetime. Dude was probably worn to the bone. If you call him a quitter for one game, then you may as well call the lions share of stars over time quitters.

He's an athlete, he's not allowed to be tired. fatigue and muscle strains are not a factor to them because of this. since he gets payed to play a game, he should be able to play 40mpg and carry one of the least talented playoff rosters ive ever seen to the FINALS

FlashBolt
09-18-2013, 04:22 PM

He left it all on the court for 7 years. You sound like a hater. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have cared if James joined your team. Your post has nothing to do with being a role model. It's just another opportunity for people like you to express their anger. How would you know he quit? Are you his psychologist? Just because he didn't perform to the standard, doesn't mean he quit. At the end of the day, just about anyone would've quit on Cleveland. Who did this guy really have on his team for 7 years? You're telling me that they couldn't snag one legitimate all star in those 7 free agency periods? I'm a Durant fan and I just wonder what Cleveland James could've achieved with Harden, Westbrook, and Ibaka. Anyways, off topic. I don't think athletes are "great" role models. Most of them achieve something that very few can actually become. I like that they donate to a great cause and let their voice be heard but they are not role model quality. At the end of the day, these guys are rich and would not even shake your hand if they saw you.

ramsizzle
09-18-2013, 04:23 PM

My apologies for coming into a threat about lebron being a role model, and then speaking on him being a role model. You brought up kobe, not i. I don't think kobe is a solid role model either.... i just see things with an open eye. You are using the term rape when we all know what it was and what the court decided it was.

On September 1, 2004 Eagle County District Judge Terry Ruckriegle dismissed the charges against Bryant, after prosecutors spent more than $200,000 preparing for trial, because his accuser informed them that she was unwilling to testify.

That was from nbcsports.

Why was she unwilling to testify? we all know why. I am not stirring up a thing, i just don't want a double standard. No one brings up lebron trying to fight delonte albeit for a good reason, which many people can corroborate is true. But a "rape" case gets brought out and used against a man when it was no such thing. it was a money grab. context my man, context.

Heatcheck
09-18-2013, 06:00 PM
My apologies for coming into a threat about lebron being a role model, and then speaking on him being a role model. You brought up kobe, not i. I don't think kobe is a solid role model either.... i just see things with an open eye. You are using the term rape when we all know what it was and what the court decided it was.

That was from nbcsports.

Why was she unwilling to testify? we all know why. I am not stirring up a thing, i just don't want a double standard. No one brings up lebron trying to fight delonte albeit for a good reason, which many people can corroborate is true. But a "rape" case gets brought out and used against a man when it was no such thing. it was a money grab. context my man, context.

if I could burst out into laughter over the internet. buddy it became a money grab because he offered to PAY HER OFF and settle out of court. If the state spent 200k on prepping a case for you, theres probably something there.

Hawkeye15
09-18-2013, 06:02 PM

That was from nbcsports.

I really don't care what was from nbc sports. Kobe put himself in the position, he gets the consequences. It's called a "pay off" dude.

bucketss
09-18-2013, 08:21 PM
lebron is supposed to be really horrible to fans as well. he talks about how he ''love his fans'' but a child asks him for an autograph and he just straight blanks him
i mean wtf?

proof? are you talking about what that butt hurt ufc fighter said? any credible sources saying that lebron ever did this?

A very excellent point! Lebron never had to overcome adversity in his life.

from akron, raised by a single parent household, to the best basketball player we have witnessed since air jordan, he aint got no worries.

unlike some players who were born with a silver spoon in their mouths, and despite that have grown to be horrible people.

never seeing adversity, playing with one of the greatest straight outta highschool, than demanding trades even though he has won 3 chips with that franchise, only for that franchise to pull one of the best big men in the leauge out of a hat for essentially what was garbage at that time.

1. whats wrong with saying he wants to be first bill. ath.?
2 whats wrong with check my stats T ?
3 whats wrong with partying?

some people are so petty lol.

Cal827
09-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Say what you want on whether or not LBJ is a role model, but I personally think that Mods should ban everyone that says Kobe should be one. :facepalm:

amos1er
09-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Say what you want on whether or not LBJ is a role model, but I personally think that Mods should ban everyone that says Kobe should be one. :facepalm:

Depends if your talking about on or off the court. On the court, Lebron is not a role model at all for reasons I stated earlier... i.e taking the easy way out and joining up with two top five draft picks from the same year he was drafted who happened to be his top rivals in his conference and beating up on weaker competition. Off the court I have no issues. However, Kobe on the court is perhaps the greatest role model basketball and sports have ever seen. He is the epitome of work ethic and dedication. Those two things are the most important characteristics of a successful individual. Not everyone is born with the natural god given talent Lebron has and not everyone is overhyped and endorsed from day one by Nike like Lebron was. Those are things that 99.9999999% of the population can't achieve on their own and therefore are unattainable. People can look up to Kobe's work ethic and dedication in all facets of their everyday lives and draw strength and motivation. Lebron was essentially handed everything he has and that is not something to look up to IMO. Off the court however, Kobe is not the best role model I would agree. But hey, name me one basketball player who hasn't cheated on their wives. Thats what I thought. Not saying I condone cheating, just saying that no basketball player is innocent of that crime. Therefore let he who has no sin cast the first stone. That said, no NBA superstar should really be a role model in that regard. Both Kobe and Lebron do a lot of charity off the court so it's basically a wash there.

bucketss
09-18-2013, 10:46 PM
Depends if your talking about on or off the court. On the court, Lebron is not a role model at all for reasons I stated earlier... i.e taking the easy way out and joining up with two top five draft picks from the same year he was drafted who happened to be his top rivals in his conference and beating up on weaker competition. Off the court I have no issues. However, Kobe on the court is perhaps the greatest role model basketball and sports have ever seen. He is the epitome of work ethic and dedication. Those two things are the most important characteristics of a successful individual. Not everyone is born with the natural god given talent Lebron has and not everyone is overhyped and endorsed from day one by Nike like Lebron was. Those are things that 99.9999999% of the population can't achieve on their own and therefore are unattainable. People can look up to Kobe's work ethic and dedication in all facets of their everyday lives and draw strength and motivation. Lebron was essentially handed everything he has and that is not something to look up to IMO. Off the court however, Kobe is not the best role model I would agree. But hey, name me one basketball player who hasn't cheated on their wives. Thats what I thought. Not saying I condone cheating, just saying that no basketball player is innocent of that crime. Therefore let he who has no sin cast the first stone. That said, no NBA superstar should really be a role model in that regard. Both Kobe and Lebron do a lot of charity off the court so it's basically a wash there.

if i am a basketball coach, i wouldn't want my kids modeling themselves over a ball hog, who throws his team mates under the bus instead of taking responsiblity.

difference between lebron and kobe?

" i came this far with my team mates, i won't stop looking for them"

- lebron

" my team mates suck, im doing this alone, and if we fail.. lets blame pau"

- kobe

ackar
09-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Raise your own crotch-fruits! Let them admire celebs and athletes but you are responsible for their upbringing. You be their role model!

HouRealCoach
09-19-2013, 01:16 AM
Man I have been gone for so long, Amos1er is still at it in these LeBron threads?

FlashBolt
09-19-2013, 02:49 AM

Right, because kids look up to people who hogs the ball, tells his teammates they aren't allowed to speak to him because he is far "superior", an also refusing to be a leader until he finally had a team in Gasol/Odom. Oh yeah, he also has countless allegations towards him. Either he's raping someone, or he's constantly in a divorce battle. I get the whole thing about hard work and never quitting, but Kobe isn't even close to a role model. Well, at least I don't want my child praising a person like Kobe.

amos1er
09-19-2013, 03:14 AM
if i am a basketball coach, i wouldn't want my kids modeling themselves over a ball hog, who throws his team mates under the bus instead of taking responsiblity.

difference between lebron and kobe?

" i came this far with my team mates, i won't stop looking for them"

- lebron

" my team mates suck, im doing this alone, and if we fail.. lets blame pau"

- kobe

When did Kobe ever say that? Can you please source this? Or is this just you putting words in his mouth? :eyebrow:

amos1er
09-19-2013, 03:28 AM
Right, because kids look up to people who hogs the ball, tells his teammates they aren't allowed to speak to him because he is far "superior", an also refusing to be a leader until he finally had a team in Gasol/Odom. Oh yeah, he also has countless allegations towards him. Either he's raping someone, or he's constantly in a divorce battle. I get the whole thing about hard work and never quitting, but Kobe isn't even close to a role model. Well, at least I don't want my child praising a person like Kobe.

You make some valid points, but bringing up the rape is pretty pointless as it was only allegations. We don't know what really happened and he was never convicted by a jury. Plus anyone with common sense knows that the ***** was crazy and that she had the semen stains of three guys on her underwear when they were examined. Either way, I agree that morally Kobe is no role model, and he never claimed to be. Nor is any other NBA superstar. All I would expect from them would be on the court dedication to their craft, where Kobe would be the ultimate roll model in that regard. As for Kobe's teammates, a good deal of them love him, including Fish, Horry, Fox, Odom, Gasol, Walton, Turiaf, Sasha, and even Shaq himself. The only ones he really didn't get along with were Smush and Malone. Smush was a horrible player and also disrespected Kobe a lot himself. When Smush hit a big three during the 2006 Phoenix game 4, Kobe gave him a big hug and gave him props. How much more do you want from the guy. As for Malone, they had that whole beef with the whole coming on to his wife thing, so that is pretty understandable. Even Kobe's wife said that Malone came on to her... Can't blame Kobe for being upset with him on that one. Even Larry bird called his teammates out for "playing like a bunch of sissies" back in the 1984 NBA finals. Even Jordan was hard on his teammates. Check out these quotes from him over the years...

"We're beating a lot of poor teams. So what? We won a lot of games last year, too. Will Horace and Bill still be playing at this level in the playoffs...Can Pip keep it up?"

"I hate being out there with those garbagemen. They don't get you the ball."

"They've got no idea what it's all about. The white guys, they work hard, but they don't have the talent. And the rest of them? Who knows what to expect? They're not good for much of anything."

"I know what's gonna happen. We'll wait until the last minute and then they'll say something like they couldn't get a deal done because of the cap or somebody pulled out at the last minute. It happens here all the time. I don't know why I'm surprised every year."

"He can't do anything with the ball. Don't give it to him." - Michael yelling at Paxson who passed the ball to Perdue

"You ever hear of a guy, six-eleven maybe and two hundred sixty pounds, a guy big and fat like that and he can't get but two rebounds, if that many, running all over the damn court and he gets two rebounds? Big guy like that and he gets one rebound. Can't even stick his *** into people and get more than that...Big, fat, fat guy. One rebound in three games. Power forward. Maybe they should call it powerless forward." - Michael ripping Stacey King a new one

"He was scared in there and panicking. He just lost it when Stockton scored." - Michael on B.J. Armstrong's mental fragility

I'll let them stand up and take responsibility for themselves.

"We have to do some things. We need to make some changes."

"...I call them 'the Looney Tunes.' Physically, they were the best. Mentally, they weren't even close."

"He's scared. He's got no heart...Nobody told me that. If I had spoken up, he wouldn't have been here."

"I know I can recognize what to do, but I'm not sure they can."

"It's a hell of a lot easier to make Earl Monroe look good than it is Brad Sellers."

"I hope there's a jumpshot in there." - Michael to Stacey King who was walking into the locker room with a box

"They don't need a ticket to watch you sitting on the bench. They can go to your house for that." - Michael to Charles Davis who was sorting through his tickets for his family and friends

"Give me the fu*king ball." - Michael to Doug Collins who drew up a play for Dave Corzine

"I hate when I have to read that in the papers the next day, that I couldn't do something. It wasn't my fault."

"You're an idiot. You've screwed up every play we ever ran. You're too stupid to even remember the plays. We ought to get rid of you." - Michael to Horace Grant

"If you [pass the ball to Bill Cartwright], you'll never get the ball from me."

"We're not winning because of talent. We're just beating bad teams."

"Headache tonight, Scottie?" - Michael asks Scottie, while showing him his 2-for-16 line

"It's probably a twelve-day. He needs two days to wake up." - Michael on a ten-day contract teammate

"Five more years and I'm out of here. I'm marking these days on a calendar, like I'm in jail. I'm tired of being used by this organization, by the league, by the writers, by everyone."

"They're not interested in winning. They just want to sell tickets, which they can do because of me. They won't make any deals to make us better. And this Kukoc thing. I hate that. They're spending all their time chasing this guy."

"If I were a general manager, we'd be a better team."

"Will Vanderbilt. He doesn't deserve to be named after a Big Ten school." - Michael on Will Perdue - AWESOME!

"I want to prove the critics wrong...I want to see some serious moves from management, which I really haven't seen that much of yet, and I want to see more serious attitudes from my teammates this year when it comes to the playoffs. In the past, it's been more or less a joking thing, sort of a 'Well, we're here, so let's have a good time.'"..........

"I'm sure everything will be fine if we win, but if we start losing, I'm shooting."

"I know what I would do if I were coach. I'd determine our strengths and weaknesses and utilize them. And it's pretty clear what our strength is."

"Your boy doesn't want to play. I'm tired of bailing his *** out." - Michael yelling at Jim Cleamons about Dennis Hopson

"I don't know about trading a 24 year-old guy for a 34 year-old guy." - Michael questioning the Oakley trade

"He's causing me too many turnovers." - Michael on Cartwright's inability to catch

"Why the hell don't you ever set a pick like that in a game?" - Michael yelling at Perdue after also hitting Perdue upside his head (led to the institution of the private curtain for practices)

Teamate says "But MJ, you had two guys on you."
Jordan replies "Yeah, but one was Fred Roberts."

Though everyone wanted to be like Mike???

Nothing wrong with this of course, just don't see why everyone gets on Kobe when Jordan was the same way if not worse.

Lakeshow24KB
09-19-2013, 03:38 AM
Didn't he admit to doing drugs in high school....?

RiceOnTheRun
09-19-2013, 03:39 AM
You make some valid points, but bringing up the rape is pretty pointless as it was only allegations. We don't know what really happened and he was never convicted by a jury. Plus anyone with common sense knows that the ***** was crazy and that she had the semen stains of three guys on her underwear when they were examined. Either way, I agree that morally Kobe is no role model, and he never claimed to be. Nor is any other NBA superstar. All I would expect from them would be on the court dedication to their craft, where Kobe would be the ultimate roll model in that regard. As for Kobe's teammates, a good deal of them love him, including Fish, Horry, Fox, Odom, Gasol, Walton, Turiaf, Sasha, and even Shaq himself. The only ones he really didn't get along with were Smush and Malone. Smush was a horrible player and also disrespected Kobe a lot himself. When Smush hit a big three during the 2006 Phoenix game 4, Kobe gave him a big hug and gave him props. How much more do you want from the guy. As for Malone, they had that whole beef with the whole coming on to his wife thing, so that is pretty understandable. Even Kobe's wife said that Malone came on to her... Can't blame Kobe for being upset with him on that one. Even Larry bird called his teammates out for "playing like a bunch of sissies" back in the 1984 NBA finals. Even Jordan was hard on his teammates. Check out these quotes from him over the years...

Nothing wrong with this of course, just don't see why everyone gets on Kobe when Jordan was the same way if not worse.

I agree with a lot of your points.

I'm not a particularly big fan of Kobe myself, but anyone with a pair of eyes and common sense can see that the guy is dedicated, if not maniacal about the game. Nobody gets to be where he's at without having that kind of work ethic. Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, debate all you want but in the end they all still have that killer work ethic. If anything, I would want my kids to take that away from them. Besides that, parents should always be the primary source of moral ethics in my opinion. Blaming your child's ****** behavior on a complete stranger your child has never met makes no sense.

MJ was a douchebag, pretty sure everyone on this forum is aware of that by now. If he wasn't, he never would have been able to survive in the spotlight that long.

RiceOnTheRun
09-19-2013, 03:40 AM
Didn't he admit to doing drugs in high school....?

Didn't Obama do drugs in college?

Not like it really matters anyways. Long as he wasn't stealing lab equipment to cook meth in an RV, it's not too big a deal.

amos1er
09-19-2013, 04:31 AM
I agree with a lot of your points.

I'm not a particularly big fan of Kobe myself, but anyone with a pair of eyes and common sense can see that the guy is dedicated, if not maniacal about the game. Nobody gets to be where he's at without having that kind of work ethic. Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, debate all you want but in the end they all still have that killer work ethic. If anything, I would want my kids to take that away from them. Besides that, parents should always be the primary source of moral ethics in my opinion. Blaming your child's ****** behavior on a complete stranger your child has never met makes no sense.

MJ was a douchebag, pretty sure everyone on this forum is aware of that by now. If he wasn't, he never would have been able to survive in the spotlight that long.

I agree with most everything you said... Especially the bold. Except of course for putting Lebron in the same sentence as Kobe and Jordan in terms of work ethic. Everything else was spot on. Nice take.

FlashBolt
09-19-2013, 06:52 PM

Agreed, but everyone wanted to be like Mike in terms of basketball, because he revolutionized the game for many young African Americans. I don't think Kobe has revolutionized basketball but yes, he does have plenty of fans and kids who look up to him simply because each person has their own definition of a role model. Those allegations are still into question as it is true his wife and him were going through a divorce. As for the rape allegation, nothing has been set in stone but it still leaves him a negative reputation. For me in a basketball perspective, I look up to Kobe because of his hard work and him defying his age and putting up elite numbers. As a person, no, I don't think Kobe is a great example. The thing I hate most about Kobe is what I love the most about him as well. He can give a rat's *** about you and just wants to play basketball. But, he treats his teammates like crap. There's not plenty of players out there who are willing to take a cut to play with Kobe. Even when they do take a cut, not many of them are there for long. I don't know how you can possibly treat your teammates like dirt because they are not on the same "level" as you. This is a fact, Kobe refused to hang out with his teammates because he felt he was superior. I don't know the legitimacy of Smush's accusations but it definitely represents Kobe's reputation as an isolated individual.

Heatcheck
09-20-2013, 11:07 AM
I agree with most everything you said... Especially the bold. Except of course for putting Lebron in the same sentence as Kobe and Jordan in terms of work ethic. Everything else was spot on. Nice take.

yeah because you would know. you've probably never been in the same room as any three of these guys, let alone spend enough time around them to know about their work ethic or how they spend their time.

Heatcheck
09-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Agreed, but everyone wanted to be like Mike in terms of basketball, because he revolutionized the game for many young African Americans. I don't think Kobe has revolutionized basketball but yes, he does have plenty of fans and kids who look up to him simply because each person has their own definition of a role model. Those allegations are still into question as it is true his wife and him were going through a divorce. As for the rape allegation, nothing has been set in stone but it still leaves him a negative reputation. For me in a basketball perspective, I look up to Kobe because of his hard work and him defying his age and putting up elite numbers. As a person, no, I don't think Kobe is a great example. The thing I hate most about Kobe is what I love the most about him as well. He can give a rat's *** about you and just wants to play basketball. But, he treats his teammates like crap. There's not plenty of players out there who are willing to take a cut to play with Kobe. Even when they do take a cut, not many of them are there for long. I don't know how you can possibly treat your teammates like dirt because they are not on the same "level" as you. This is a fact, Kobe refused to hang out with his teammates because he felt he was superior. I don't know the legitimacy of Smush's accusations but it definitely represents Kobe's reputation as an isolated individual.

Jordan ruined Basketball in the late 90s early 2000s. All these nut tuggers coming out of college thought being like mike meant taking everyone to the whole and forcing the offense, lots of iso crap. I remember basketball, especially offense, SUCKING BALLS at that time.

TheIlladelph16
09-20-2013, 02:48 PM

I know you only have negative things to say about the man, but the bolded is asinine. Please look up a little history on Lebron's life growing up before you spew the ignorant stuff you typically do.

Some people in here are actually arguing that he shouldn't be looked up to because he didn't go to college? I went to college and graduated through the honors program, and I can tell you with certainty that Lebron works way harder than I ever did. Why does college mean your more admirable? The guy has killer work ethic on par with the best of all time. Plus now he'll have $300 million to pay for those rising tuition costs haha

The overall sentiment of using an athlete as a role model is stupid. These guys are just like us who happen to be very good at a sport we love to watch. That aside for the sake of the conversation, I don't see how isn't a sports star you'd want your kids to look up to. Team first guy, charitable, killer work ethic and the best basketball player in the league. If I want my kids to look up to a sports star, he would be one of them.

Lakeshow24KB
09-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Didn't Obama do drugs in college?

Not like it really matters anyways. Long as he wasn't stealing lab equipment to cook meth in an RV, it's not too big a deal.
Yeah it's not too big of a deal to do something illegal when you're looked up to by millions of kids. I mean, I know many consider weed being not "a big deal" but when we're looking at him as a role model, you can't overlook that
(On a side note please don't stereotype me as a KOBE IS A GOD LEBRON SUCKS person, that's not the case)

Lakeshow24KB
09-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Now on the other hand, LeBron lived alone with his mother in an apartment, and he essentially raised his mother rather than her raising him, and many kids can relate to that and I think LeBron is a huge role model for kids but at the end of the day he's just an athlete, a person who can throw a basketball, which is why I personally never look up to athletes

Tony_Starks
09-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Malcolm X was a role model. Lebron is a great basketball player....

b@llhog24
09-28-2013, 02:35 PM

The **** is this? The Feudal era?

FlashBolt
09-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Malcolm X was a role model. Lebron is a great basketball player....

No he isn't/wasn't... Martin Luther King Jr. is a role model. Malcom X imposed hate and violence on other races.

Chronz
09-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Mother of god.... this thread is awful

ILLUSIONIST^248
09-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Mother of god.... this thread is awful

the thread is terrible, but you should be the last person talking about it since 4/5 thread you make are pure trash themselves.

Bostonjorge
09-28-2013, 06:02 PM
The story of how lebron quit on Cleveland in the playoffs and then on the team is what? A role model? Then joining a super team to beat lesser competition in the weaker conference to have the easiest road to a ring is what? How can u get never give up or never back down from these lebron story's.

Kids might think after they lose to a team they can just switch jerseys and never work harder to beat that team next time.

Chronz
09-28-2013, 07:52 PM
the thread is terrible, but you should be the last person talking about it since 4/5 thread you make are pure trash themselves.

The thread topic was great. Its the ramblings of the kobephiles that have derailed it. Keep on trucking tho

5ass
09-28-2013, 08:27 PM

If Chronz's posts are trash, then what do we say about your posts? You're easily the worst poster here, and im sure a lot of people agree with me. Atleast trash is worth something because its recyclable. The US actually exports billions of dollars worth of trash to China, or used to anyway because of environmental regulations. Your posts are worth nothing, like air. Actually, air is useful, your posts are more like toxic waste, you're just bad for the environment.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-28-2013, 09:26 PM
He's been a pretty good guy except for that one year starting from the decision to when he lost in the finals against Mavs. You can tell that people were getting to him and he did and said some things that were not helpful to his image.

0nekhmer
09-28-2013, 11:49 PM
You're a terrible parent if you're going to rely on any celebrity/star to be your child's role model. /thread

Greet
09-28-2013, 11:55 PM
You're a terrible parent if you're going to rely on any celebrity/star to be your child's role model. /thread

My father is and will forever be my role model, but that doesn't take away from the fact that these athletes gives plenty of kids hopes and dreams for the future, which is absolutely amazing for youth.

FlashBolt
09-29-2013, 01:12 AM

.... I'm sorry but if you go to hospitals, there is a program that allows kids to meet anyone of their choice and these kids get hope when they are visited by them. They do make a difference. Maybe not to you but for many others.

Chronz
09-29-2013, 01:14 AM

Im not a parent but there is only so much you can control . Sometimes your kids will choose the heros they look up to.Charles Barkley is an example of a bad role model, he didn't want the responsibility, which is fine, but some people take pride in setting an example.

Aapox
09-29-2013, 02:49 AM
Jordan ruined Basketball in the late 90s early 2000s. All these nut tuggers coming out of college thought being like mike meant taking everyone to the whole and forcing the offense, lots of iso crap. I remember basketball, especially offense, SUCKING BALLS at that time.

Hilarious noun usage...hahaha. Well done.

JLynn943
09-29-2013, 03:05 AM
At the very least, he's a far better role model than the majority of big-name athletes.

Chronz
09-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Has a coach ever thought Bron was utterly uncoachable, to the point where he wanted him traded? Or where teammates unite in their chastising selfish play?

amos1er
09-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Has a coach ever thought Bron was utterly uncoachable, to the point where he wanted him traded? Or where teammates unite in their chastising selfish play?

Don't know because nothing has ever leaked out. It very well could have or worse. The media seems to only want to print stories that favor Lebron unlike the witch hunt they put on Kobe for many years... Even before the Colorado incident. Also, none of his coaches ever wrote a tell-all book so how would we know what really went on. Tough to say really.

What I do know is that he is the first and most likely only top tier superstar ever to take less money while still in his prime to team ups with two top five draft picks from his same draft year who also happen to be superstar conference rivals to go ring chasing.

Buckwheat
09-29-2013, 04:12 PM

And you're wrong.

Chronz
09-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Don't know because nothing has ever leaked out.
When nothing ever leaks out, its most likely because there is nothing to leak out (tho I have heard quite a few things from those looking to make headlines), nothing like what Kobe has done tho. Whore of Akron is prolly the only book on him behind the scenes in Cleveland. I never finished reading that filth tho, the author kept talking about being too fat to function sexually and getting head.

It very well could have or worse.
Doubtful, all the coaches were too far up Brons *** to ever question him. Bron leaving Cleveland was never something that would come into their minds, I mean, why would they? Its not like he was a selfish gunner, its not like he ever detracted from a championship caliber team. Bron carried trash beyond their limit, who exactly would they want to trade him for when hes already doing the most with so little?

The media seems to only want to print stories that favor Lebron unlike the witch hunt they put on Kobe for many years...
Nah, the media was looking for anything bad back when he was a villain. There is always something to gain if you can find even a hint of a scandal (See Delonte West rumors). And Kobe made himself very easy to target IMO. His loner/selfish attitude was well known, it wasn't until he grew up that he came out of his shell.

What I do know is that he is the first and most likely only top tier superstar ever to take less money while still in his prime to team ups with two top five draft picks from his same draft year who also happen to be superstar conference rivals to go ring chasing.
Thats a badge of honor, hes very much like Duncan in that regard, in that he takes less money to prioritize winning in order to FINALLY surround himself with quality players. Duncan took less money to keep his star teammates around, knowing that San Antonio wasn't a market like LA where the owner can afford endless tax bills and still get certain players on the cheap. That wasn't happening in Cleveland. And Bron still took the maximum Miami could offer him anyways.

KG is the example of a star who chose to take the max in a market that couldn't afford it IMO. Its not good for business. Bron gave up too much of his prime years, toiling away in a market that couldn't even lure hometown products from the smallest of markets. Not everyone gets to play for the Lakers and Buss bro.

sammyvine
09-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Don't know because nothing has ever leaked out. It very well could have or worse. The media seems to only want to print stories that favor Lebron unlike the witch hunt they put on Kobe for many years... Even before the Colorado incident. Also, none of his coaches ever wrote a tell-all book so how would we know what really went on. Tough to say really.

unless you have met lebron or kobe its stupid to believe media stories about them....
im not buying what your saying as well
im no lebron stan, but the media especially after the decision were harsh on him. i mean first take used to do segments on his bike ffs. i mean how scrutinised can you be for your bike to be criticised?

i was never a fan of his but the hate after the decision was over the top.

ManRam
10-01-2013, 10:07 AM

You can't possibly push this narrative that the media loves and is so easy on LeBron. I know you hate him more than anything else in life, but even you can't suggest that with a straight face. Now that's he's winning, sure...but he was the most unfairly treated NBA player for a good stretch there.

You are something else, man. If I were a religious man I'd pray for you!

Tony_Starks
10-01-2013, 01:15 PM

If we're going that route we can talk how not only him but his entire "entourage" were completely catered to in every way in Cleveland and how some of his teammates would complain how the coaching staff wasn't even allowed to call him out. That when he would make mistakes they would blame other players. Then after all that pampering we all know what happened.

We could also talk about during the bronze medal fiasco he was highly regarded as a spoiled brat and a "diva."

Just saying if we're calling out people's characters he's not exactly above reproach....

Chronz
10-01-2013, 01:52 PM
If we're going that route we can talk how not only him but his entire "entourage" were completely catered to in every way in Cleveland and how some of his teammates would complain how the coaching staff wasn't even allowed to call him out. That when he would make mistakes they would blame other players. Then after all that pampering we all know what happened.

We could also talk about during the bronze medal fiasco he was highly regarded as a spoiled brat and a "diva."

Just saying if we're calling out people's characters he's not exactly above reproach....

Maybe its a difference of opinion but I dont equate having an entourage run around the city/franchise you've just made financially relevant with being the kind of brat whos HOF level coach pleaded to trade. The kind of backstabber who brings up other peoples names in hopes that they wont get in trouble with the law. Remember Kobe's apology to Shaq back in the day? Man that was awful

The coaching staff didn't call him out because they knew he was the one doing the most, how silly would it be to nitpick a few mental lapses here and there when hes doing everything for your franchise?

I never said Bron was perfect, but these details are so minor in comparison to the all out mutiny Kobe inspired at times.

Tony_Starks
10-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Maybe its a difference of opinion but I dont equate having an entourage run around the city/franchise you've just made financially relevant with being the kind of brat whos HOF level coach pleaded to trade. The kind of backstabber who brings up other peoples names in hopes that they wont get in trouble with the law. Remember Kobe's apology to Shaq back in the day? Man that was awful

The coaching staff didn't call him out because they knew he was the one doing the most, how silly would it be to nitpick a few mental lapses here and there when hes doing everything for your franchise?

I never said Bron was perfect, but these details are so minor in comparison to the all out mutiny Kobe inspired at times.

Why would Kobe's childish exploits be relevant? The question was is LEBRON a role model. A lot of people can look at him and say no for various reasons....

Chronz
10-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Why would Kobe's childish exploits be relevant? The question was is LEBRON a role model. A lot of people can look at him and say no for various reasons....
Hes no Udonis Haslem thats for sure, but those guys aren't likely to be looked at as role models by today's youth. Like it or not, its the stars that are the face of the league and thus I like to compare Bron to the stars I know the kids find most popular.

If you're comparing Bron to other popular figures, he ranks pretty highly. I want to say Wade might outshine him but he acts like a bully on the court sometimes.

Who are your top role model stars?

Tony_Starks
10-01-2013, 02:49 PM
If forced to pick one probably either Rose or KD. Wade is up there too,...

JordansBulls
10-10-2013, 12:10 AM
I think the decision hurt him a bit, but I also think he has made up for it. As humans we make mistakes and the point is to rectify those mistakes and he has done so.