PDA

View Full Version : Salty watch

ruckus16969
09-14-2013, 12:27 PM
I think we have to give this guy a 3 or 4 year deal. Probably somewhere in the 35m to 45m range.

I know allot of you guys don't like him. But who else are we going to go get? McCann is the only other FA I'd like to see on this team. But he injury prone and going to cost allot more than Salty will.

Salty seems to be improving and we know he can handle the pressure of playing in Boston. I think the guy is certainly a top 10 catcher over all. He is handling the staff better this year. As of late he is throwing batters out better.

Do we really wanna take the risk and go with Larvarnway??

-Lavigne43-
09-14-2013, 01:38 PM
3-4 years with that much money is a horrible idea. If you're worried about next year give him the QO and hopefully he'd be a bridge to Christian Vazquez.

BGeer091
09-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Id can't see him getting over 8mil per season. I would definitely give him a 2 year 16 with 3rd year option though.

I see Vasquez as the Ross replacement not Salty replacement

Lackeyfan41
09-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Lavarnway is pretty good and deserves to be getting 60-100 games at catcher somewhere. I don't know how much worse Lavarnway and Ross is then just letting Salty walk.

We can always offer him a QO and see what he does next year, then decide if we want to resign him.

bagwell368
09-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Lavarnway is pretty good and deserves to be getting 60-100 games at catcher somewhere. I don't know how much worse Lavarnway and Ross is then just letting Salty walk.

We can always offer him a QO and see what he does next year, then decide if we want to resign him.

Salty didn't sag this 2nd half, so either he's on a new trend, or we are witnessing his career year with the bat. Still don't like the D much. One year QO sounds good. I really don't like Ross with the bat at all - he may not be able to give us much next year, maybe he should cut a deal so he can retire but coach. We have two guys in the Minors - one of which should be able to catch 50 games next year and not be too awful.

ruckus16969
09-15-2013, 01:24 PM
3-4 years with that much money is a horrible idea. If you're worried about next year give him the QO and hopefully he'd be a bridge to Christian Vazquez.

Ya I thought it would be a bit much too but I got them numbers from watching the Baseball Show yesterday. Honestly I would like them to give him 3 years @ 8m per. At that price he can serve as the #1 catcher while Ross is still here then if he doesnt keep improving or he sucks he can be the back-up to who ever in the future. But all in all he is way to valuable to just let walk. At least give him the QO and I would hope he excepts.

ruckus16969
09-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Salty didn't sag this 2nd half, so either he's on a new trend, or we are witnessing his career year with the bat. Still don't like the D much. One year QO sounds good. I really don't like Ross with the bat at all - he may not be able to give us much next year, maybe he should cut a deal so he can retire but coach. We have two guys in the Minors - one of which should be able to catch 50 games next year and not be too awful.

I feel like Salty is getting better and I would hate to lose him. His D is getting better. He is calling games better. He is amazing in the club house. Maybe he isn't the greatest catcher out there but he is allot better than allot of options out there.

I feel like he is part of the core of this team. An important piece of this puzzle. This is one of those really special teams. This is one of those teams that we will look back on and really appreciate.

RedSoxtober
09-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Exactly. His lack of a second-half slow down is pretty much what has set this year apart from all the others. Since this is his age 28 season maybe that shouldn't be a huge surprise? I'm not sure.

I feel like Salty is getting better and I would hate to lose him. His D is getting better. He is calling games better. He is amazing in the club house. Maybe he isn't the greatest catcher out there but he is allot better than allot of options out there.

I feel like he is part of the core of this team. An important piece of this puzzle. This is one of those really special teams. This is one of those teams that we will look back on and really appreciate.
I agree with most of this though I have no clue on how he is in the clubhouse. I think that he's had a much better "presence" behind the plate and the pitchers seem to be more confident in him. His offensive contribution this year has compensated for any weaknesses behind the plate.

I'd be very wary of the whole "very special teams... we will look back on" approach when it comes to future contracts, though. The kind of chemistry that we're seeing among the team members right now tends to be very short lived. They remind me a lot of the character of the 2004 team. Even with most of the "idiots" returning for 2005 they did not have the same vibe. I expect the same thing will be true in 2014.

Id can't see him getting over 8mil per season. I would definitely give him a 2 year 16 with 3rd year option though.

I see Vasquez as the Ross replacement not Salty replacement

I think this makes the most sense, assuming the option is a team option. I also think that Vasquez could be the replacement for both. He could take Ross' place by the end of 2014 and be in line to take Salty's place with 1-2 yrs MLB experience at the end of Salty's 2-3yr deal.

bagwell368
09-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Ya I thought it would be a bit much too but I got them numbers from watching the Baseball Show yesterday. Honestly I would like them to give him 3 years @ 8m per. At that price he can serve as the #1 catcher while Ross is still here then if he doesnt keep improving or he sucks he can be the back-up to who ever in the future. But all in all he is way to valuable to just let walk. At least give him the QO and I would hope he excepts.

Have no idea why people like Ross. He's old, he's almost done, he can't hit worth a lick - sure he's a fine defender and good guy, but he's breaking down. Agree with him to retire and become a Coach and make Lavarnway the 50 game per season replacement as the 2nd catcher for '14. Later you have two possibles coming along.

Salty got better, but IMO he's close to his ceiling your initial per year was way over the top. 3 years for $22.5M ($7.5M per) is that absolute most I'd go, and I think he could easily get dealt in his last season out of that if one of the 3 others emerge in a big way in '14 or '15.

ruckus16969
09-17-2013, 09:58 AM
I really think that if we don't give him 3 years @ 24M we will lose him. $8m is not that bad for a guy like him. I think that he probably wants to be here and he knows our staff. I'd rather have him here for $8m than McCann who is often injured for $15m. And McCann is going to demand a 4 or 5 year deal. I mean they pretty identical players as far as WAR goes for this year. Salty is 2.3 for 2013 and BM is 2.4 for 2013

RedSoxtober
09-17-2013, 10:12 AM
^^ I think you're looking at it purely in terms of production. $8M is a pretty good salary for a catcher. Off hand I would guess that'd put him in the top 5 catchers. Mauer is obviously the exception to the rule for handing big salaries over multiple years for a catcher... and also an example of why it's very dangerous. When you factor in age (29/30 respectively for Salty and McCann) a deal beyond 3yrs is pretty dicey.

Another factor in the mix is that NYY may also be in the market for a catcher. Assuming that A-Rod serves at least half of his suspension after appeal, they'll have at least $14M more to spend on the 2014 club.

Nomar
09-17-2013, 10:32 AM
McCann would tear Yankee Stadium up. Then again maybe salty would too.

bagwell368
09-17-2013, 01:14 PM
I really think that if we don't give him 3 years @ 24M we will lose him. $8m is not that bad for a guy like him. I think that he probably wants to be here and he knows our staff. I'd rather have him here for $8m than McCann who is often injured for $15m. And McCann is going to demand a 4 or 5 year deal. I mean they pretty identical players as far as WAR goes for this year. Salty is 2.3 for 2013 and BM is 2.4 for 2013

For all we know Salty is having a career year, making it worse than 5 of McCann's seasons. In the open market if both are signed for 3 years, McCann will earn substantially more unless he takes a home town deal.

Salty is not a special player IMO. I don't hand out money like candy to him.

todu82
09-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Yeah, if we can get a guy like Mccann through free agency this off-season we should go out and get him, Salty's had a good season but I wouldn't trust him over 2 or 3 seasons to keep up these good #'s.