PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Root For My "Home Team"

big_w
09-14-2013, 04:35 AM
I'm in the bay area, and I am not a warriors fan at all. It's not that I dislike the team.

In fact, there are lots of things that this org. is doing right. They've got some good young players. They're a winning team. I even thought the mark jackson hire was a terrific move. Adding Jerry West as a 'consultant?' Brilliant. And the fans are totally loyal and into the team.

Only problem. I am totally unenthused by this team, and I don't know why. You could list a lot of superlatives if you wanted to, but I just find this team boring to watch.

I would MUCH RATHER watch:

-the twolves (klove and the spaniard)

-the rockets

-the heat

-the lakers

-the knicks

I could probably list 10 teams I'd rather watch ahead of the warriors.

Perhaps it's because the warriors have been perennial losers for a long stretch prior to this season. Perhaps it's because they lack a true blue chip superstar. I don't know why, but I just find the warriors dull.

Do you ever feel guilty when you're not interested in your "home team?" Unless they sign a true blue chip top 10 caliber player, I don't really see myself getting hyped up over the warriors.

Talk to me.

archdevil84
09-14-2013, 05:42 AM
wel imma heat fan so i'm always excited to watch them play. but if i had to choose different teams to watch it would be: Brooklyn nets, NY knicks, OKC, trail blazers, raptors, clippers or warriors because those teams have either exciting gameplay or just players that i enjoy watching

Ebbs
09-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Warriors currently is a good team to watch.

I don't have a home team.

But for hockey I don't route for the flames and I don't feed bad about it.

ManRam
09-14-2013, 11:33 AM
I've never been bothered by people who root for teams other than their home team. Just be consistent-enough with it. Nothing wrong with being a fan of the sport first, and rooting for laundry second.

But the Warriors are gonna be a fun team to watch this year...as they were last year.

asandhu23
09-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Its all good. Just don't come back and pretend to be a Warriors fan later on.

Jesse2272
09-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Fandom comes from roots within the community

Bandwagon is just who you are follow the leader...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95gP3m-uBHA

JLynn943
09-14-2013, 12:24 PM
I live near Philly and am a Sacramento Kings fan. I used to like the 76ers when I first started watching because of AI, but he was the only reason I liked them. I generally hate Philly sports though. None of my favorite teams are my "home team."

Jamiecballer
09-14-2013, 01:02 PM
sometimes it can be particularly satisfying to NOT be a fan of the home team. i grew up with a major dislike for the Leafs simply because "how can you not like the Leafs".

UPRock
09-14-2013, 01:24 PM
I don't leave in the states so the same happens to me :(

ManRam
09-14-2013, 01:48 PM

What if your community is Bum**** Middle of Nowhere, United States?

sometimes it can be particularly satisfying to NOT be a fan of the home team. i grew up with a major dislike for the Leafs simply because "how can you not like the Leafs".

I agree with this. I big reason I became a much stronger Pats/Sox fan in middle school/high school.

Defining what a real fan is and how that arises is just a stupid thing to try and do.

Kushed
09-14-2013, 02:06 PM
If you grew up in an area and your parents aren't fans of a different team, never really understood how people could choose someone else to root for.

It's almost like the team in your area is representing where you live and that's what makes fandom so great.

Granted, I don't live in Minnesota anymore but I'll be a Timberwolves fan til the day I die because that is where I grew up, that is where I learned to love the game of basketball and root for the guys who represent our state.

If I was interested in just watching good basketball then the Wolves would be on the bottom of the list since they haven't been relevant since '04 but that isn't how it works for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the Heat because it is some damn fun basketball but at the end of the day I'm a Wolves fan through and through.

Jesse2272
09-14-2013, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=ManRamForPrez24;27044359]What if your community is Bum**** Middle of Nowhere, United States?

Live and breath your high school team

Bandwagon is not a diss, it is what it is...

big_w
09-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Yup, I'm a basketball fan first. No point in watching teams if they're not especially fun to watch.

I really like the concept of college basketball ie amateur athletes who play for the love of the sport, but I don't watch a heck of a lot college bball anymore, either.

tredigs
09-14-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm in the bay area, and I am not a warriors fan at all. It's not that I dislike the team.

In fact, there are lots of things that this org. is doing right. They've got some good young players. They're a winning team. I even thought the mark jackson hire was a terrific move. Adding Jerry West as a 'consultant?' Brilliant. And the fans are totally loyal and into the team.

Only problem. I am totally unenthused by this team, and I don't know why. You could list a lot of superlatives if you wanted to, but I just find this team boring to watch.

I would MUCH RATHER watch:

-the twolves (klove and the spaniard)

-the rockets

-the heat

-the lakers

-the knicks

I could probably list 10 teams I'd rather watch ahead of the warriors.

Perhaps it's because the warriors have been perennial losers for a long stretch prior to this season. Perhaps it's because they lack a true blue chip superstar. I don't know why, but I just find the warriors dull.

Do you ever feel guilty when you're not interested in your "home team?" Unless they sign a true blue chip top 10 caliber player, I don't really see myself getting hyped up over the warriors.

Talk to me.

Most people will think you're lame for the bold, as I sure do.

Also, the fact that you find the team dull is kind of hilarious to me, but to each their own. And that said, zero issues with a person not being a fan of their home team, but I certainly make fun of anyone who bounces from team to team claiming "allegiance" depending on who they like that year. It's just stupid.

abe_froman
09-14-2013, 05:52 PM
1.how arent the w's boring?
2.isnt curry a true blue chip star?

i get waning interest because your team is a loser,or have been for a long time(and you dont have to be a fan of the home team).but i dont understand the 2 points as to why your not interested.

rhino17
09-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Picking a random team to follow has never made sense to me. I root for my hometown teams cuz they represent myself and community I grew up in. I have a special attachment to them. I don't understand how you could feel the same way if you are just a fan of random teams throughout the country.

The only time it makes any sense to mess if you are from a place with no sports team

PurpleLynch
09-14-2013, 05:59 PM
I don't think it matters,just keep the faith in the team you root for and it's all good. I live in Italy,but I root for the Lakers.

tredigs
09-14-2013, 08:25 PM
lmao, I'm still just confused how a fan of the NBA can find that team dull. Does Curry bore you?

ManRam
09-14-2013, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=ManRamForPrez24;27044359]What if your community is Bum**** Middle of Nowhere, United States?

Live and breath your high school team

Bandwagon is not a diss, it is what it is...

Not sure what this post is getting at.

Who do you have to root for if you grow up in Bismarck, North Dakota?

Who do you have to root for if you've lived in Florida, Boston, New York and Pittsburgh for chunks of your life?

I get bashing the guy for thinking the Warriors are boring, but I don't see why he has to root for his hometown team.

asandhu23
09-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Yup, I'm a basketball fan first. No point in watching teams if they're not especially fun to watch.

I really like the concept of college basketball ie amateur athletes who play for the love of the sport, but I don't watch a heck of a lot college bball anymore, either.

most of them play for the lifestyle.

asandhu23
09-14-2013, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=Jesse2272;27044482]

Who do you have to root for if you've lived in Florida, Boston, New York and Pittsburgh for chunks of your life?

I get bashing the guy for thinking the Warriors are boring, but I don't see why he has to root for his hometown team.

I don't care as long as he doesn't pretend to be "a Warriors fan all this time" in a few months time.

Luke_K77bear
09-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Grew up in SSF in 80's, how do you Not like Niners? Giants also my team and Fully enjoying 2 championships after couple decades of waiting...Warriors are by Far, one of thee Most exciting teams in NBA right now. Bay Area fans deserve it. Even ones who jumped on laker bandwagon(which i still dont understand)

PacersForLife
09-14-2013, 10:46 PM
If you grew up in an area and your parents aren't fans of a different team, never really understood how people could choose someone else to root for.

It's almost like the team in your area is representing where you live and that's what makes fandom so great.

Granted, I don't live in Minnesota anymore but I'll be a Timberwolves fan til the day I die because that is where I grew up, that is where I learned to love the game of basketball and root for the guys who represent our state.

If I was interested in just watching good basketball then the Wolves would be on the bottom of the list since they haven't been relevant since '04 but that isn't how it works for me.
This is kinda how I feel.

I also don't respect the guys who don't even give their hometown team a chance. I'm the type of person that can't stand seeing the other team's colors in my home team's arena especially when it's a long shot that they grew up liking the team or something. For instance; there were so many Clippers "fans" at a Clippers-Pacers game I went to last year. I will never understand it.

LAcowBOMBER
09-15-2013, 12:47 AM
I don't root for any of my home teams although Philly and New York about equal distances from my house and I'm a Yankees fan. I obviously find nothing wrong with it, but I have also been a fan of all my current teams for at least 16 years. Bandwagon fans bug me. Stick to your team, whether they are from your home city or not

dnl123
09-15-2013, 12:57 AM
In my opinion there's only a couple teams that are fun to watch in the NBA. I'm a Wolves fan though so I will watch their games regardless of their entertainment value, because I've grown up loving them. It's a sickness I wish I could get away from haha. I think the Heat are awesome to watch and that's 100% because of the greatness of Lebron James. I also really enjoy watching the Thunder because of the things Durant does. My sleeper team I watched a lot last year was the Nuggets, but after a while I got a little bored of them too. I do miss watching the Suns of old with Nash and company. I loved watching him dish out assists all over the place.

Vinny642
09-15-2013, 12:59 AM
IN Jersey I dont support any local teams, not the Yanks, Mets, Jets, Giants, Nets, Knicks... or the hockey teams

Jesse2272
09-15-2013, 04:26 AM
[QUOTE=Jesse2272;27044482]

I didnt bash anybody

Roots to the community doesnt mean thats were you were born n raised

Im a bandwagon saints fan, I love my Giants, but I root for the fluer de lis, simpley because I rode out Katrina there and have a bond with that city

pretty simple huh...

Jesse2272
09-15-2013, 04:26 AM
IN Jersey I dont support any local teams, not the Yanks, Mets, Jets, Giants, Nets, Knicks... or the hockey teams

Move

king4day
09-15-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm from NY and the only home team I follow are the Yankees.
Suns, Penguins, and Saints for the rest. Video games got me into the Saints and Penguins. And I happened to like Majerle who got me into the Suns.

I wish I could have been a hometown fan but it just didn't work out that way. I see nothing wrong with it.

Jesse2272
09-15-2013, 11:44 AM
lmao, I'm still just confused how a fan of the NBA can find that team dull. Does Curry bore you?

I love watching them play

Curry is jus craze

topdog
09-15-2013, 02:33 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the Heat because it is some damn fun basketball but at the end of the day I'm a Wolves fan through and through.

Well, your parents had to have chosen a different team at some point so there must be "acceptable" reasons.

It's becoming much easier to become a fan of a team outside your home state or region with expanded viewing options, cable packages, ect. whereas in the past your viewership would be sporadic based on when national t.v. picked up a team's games.

Related but not basketball: watching the Vikings right now is such a reminder of how painful it is to watch them - MVP of the league, pretty good defense, above average special teams, and about year 10 of crappy QBs. I stopped watching years ago with Culpepper and Moss between attitudes and a predictable outcome when push came to shove.

Finally, sounds like the OP is exactly the kind of fan Stern built the league on (just a comment: nothing meant to be positive or negative) i.e. "I want to watch a star." I could see why the Dubs could be less than enjoyable to watch as a very offensive-oriented team if you enjoy the other side of the ball.

ddt
09-15-2013, 05:05 PM
I've gotta say.. I'm from Sacramento and I'm definitely a Kings fan. It absolutely drives me nuts goin to ARCO (will always be ARCO to me) during the lakers game and half the crowd is nothing but Laker fans. Drives me nuts.

I enjoy watching all teams regardless of who they are. I guess you could say I just enjoy watching the game.

big_w
09-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Well, your parents had to have chosen a different team at some point so there must be "acceptable" reasons.

It's becoming much easier to become a fan of a team outside your home state or region with expanded viewing options, cable packages, ect. whereas in the past your viewership would be sporadic based on when national t.v. picked up a team's games.

Related but not basketball: watching the Vikings right now is such a reminder of how painful it is to watch them - MVP of the league, pretty good defense, above average special teams, and about year 10 of crappy QBs. I stopped watching years ago with Culpepper and Moss between attitudes and a predictable outcome when push came to shove.

Finally, sounds like the OP is exactly the kind of fan Stern built the league on (just a comment: nothing meant to be positive or negative) i.e. "I want to watch a star." I could see why the Dubs could be less than enjoyable to watch as a very offensive-oriented team if you enjoy the other side of the ball.

It certainly is a lot easier to follow multiple teams with the proliferation of media. Back in the day, you were pretty much forced to watch the sixers, lakers and celtics....and your home team.

I've been a basketball fan long before stern became the "new" commish btw. :)

seikou8
09-15-2013, 07:44 PM
well i cant relate but in school yeah there alot casual fans of different teams

big_w
09-15-2013, 07:53 PM

As I said before, I like the warriors, and like the improvements they've made recently, but don't find them "exciting." I'd rather watch the blue chip guys like durant, cp3, harden, etc.

Back in the day, loved watching doc, larry, magic, but still enjoyed the warriors greats: jb carroll, world b free, bernard king, larry smith, and later on run tmc, manute bol, sleepy floyd, etc. We even had great big men like ralph sampson and chris webber.

I think I started to tune out when latrell sprewell started playing for us. Then stephen jackson. And yeah, steph strikes me as being a little shady. I don't know why.

I guess I've been incredibly spoiled over the years watching super talented, loaded teams. The recent lean years have been tough to watch. It's actually been a bit embarrassing, with inept ownership which focused on trying to build superficially entertaining teams without giving much thought to building actual contenders, much less championship caliber teams.

The warriors just don't have an identity. They have a good offense, but have a wavering commitment to defense. The coliseum arena is renovated, but not new. Jerry West is a 'consultant' but not a GM or President.

It seems like the warriors have been in a perpetual state of transition and confusion for at least 15 years running.

I blame it all on Spree for choking out PJ. :)

tredigs
09-15-2013, 09:52 PM
^You find Stephen Curry "shady" and the Warriors "dull". Hahahah. Like I said earlier, to each their own man, but this gets better by the paragraph.

I will say that I do find it hard to believe you watched them much this past season, or have followed Curry's career in any significant manner to make comments like this.

bgdreton
09-15-2013, 10:00 PM
As I said before, I like the warriors, and like the improvements they've made recently, but don't find them "exciting." I'd rather watch the blue chip guys like durant, cp3, harden, etc.

Back in the day, loved watching doc, larry, magic, but still enjoyed the warriors greats: jb carroll, world b free, bernard king, larry smith, and later on run tmc, manute bol, sleepy floyd, etc. We even had great big men like ralph sampson and chris webber.

I think I started to tune out when latrell sprewell started playing for us. Then stephen jackson. And yeah, steph strikes me as being a little shady. I don't know why.

I guess I've been incredibly spoiled over the years watching super talented, loaded teams. The recent lean years have been tough to watch. It's actually been a bit embarrassing, with inept ownership which focused on trying to build superficially entertaining teams without giving much thought to building actual contenders, much less championship caliber teams.

The warriors just don't have an identity. They have a good offense, but have a wavering commitment to defense. The coliseum arena is renovated, but not new. Jerry West is a 'consultant' but not a GM or President.

It seems like the warriors have been in a perpetual state of transition and confusion for at least 15 years running.

I blame it all on Spree for choking out PJ. :)

I can't continue to read this lol.... The warriors don't have and identity? Come on... You don't get to the second round in the playoffs with no identity... Furthermore they don't play defense? they were ranked 11th last year during the season and come playoffs their defensive per would have been ranked 5th in the league. That increased rate was also against high offensive teams in the spurs and Denver. Look, you are entitled to ur opinion but don't just blab out garbage to prove your point....

big_w
09-16-2013, 12:07 AM
I've followed this team for over 3 decades and no, the current organization and roster don't have a clear-cut identity. They're not the offensive juggernaut of teams past. They don't bear the stamp of nellie's innovative, borderline crazy offensive schemes (having a 7'6" guy shoot 3's or having a PF play the point).

Then again, they don't have a top-notch defense or interior defender even though Mark Jackson supposedly preaches defense.

They're certainly much better than they were defensively, but few if any teams fear the warriors' defense or consider them elite defensively. A team ranked 11th is above average, but are hardly elite.

The warriors are an above average offensive team, and an above average defensive team. In sum, they are above average. They have two above average stars.

And no, I never said they don't play defense. You're simply creating a strawman so that you can get upset about something. :)

I can't continue to read this lol.... The warriors don't have and identity? Come on... You don't get to the second round in the playoffs with no identity... Furthermore they don't play defense? they were ranked 11th last year during the season and come playoffs their defensive per would have been ranked 5th in the league. That increased rate was also against high offensive teams in the spurs and Denver. Look, you are entitled to ur opinion but don't just blab out garbage to prove your point....

big_w
09-16-2013, 12:11 AM
My mistake--it was monta ellis who has accused of sexual harassment not Steph.

I'm not a huge fan of curry or lee. I don't dislike them. I give mark jackson a ton of credit for pointing the warriors in the right direction. In return, there was significant talk about firing Jackson. Just unbelievable. He's the best thing to happen to this team and there are plenty of local media who wanted him gone.

^You find Stephen Curry "shady" and the Warriors "dull". Hahahah. Like I said earlier, to each their own man, but this gets better by the paragraph.

I will say that I do find it hard to believe you watched them much this past season, or have followed Curry's career in any significant manner to make comments like this.

big_w
09-16-2013, 12:15 AM
No, I don't pick teams to follow on a random basis. I like the wolves because I think rubio and klove are tremendous players. I like watching the lakers because they have had tremendous talent (I don't root for the lakers, but I like watching great players play basketball).

Despite the detractors, I still think Lin and Harden can become the game's best backcourt duo, esp. now that they have Dwight to work with.

I enjoyed rooting for OKC, largely because I despised Mia. Yeah, and that was in spite of westbrook's sub-zero basketball IQ.

The warriors just leave me cold. I wish them well, however.

Picking a random team to follow has never made sense to me. I root for my hometown teams cuz they represent myself and community I grew up in. I have a special attachment to them. I don't understand how you could feel the same way if you are just a fan of random teams throughout the country.

The only time it makes any sense to mess if you are from a place with no sports team

big_w
09-16-2013, 12:16 AM
I've been a fan longer than you've been alive. :)

[QUOTE=ManRamForPrez24;27045228]

I don't care as long as he doesn't pretend to be "a Warriors fan all this time" in a few months time.

big_w
09-16-2013, 12:17 AM

He doesn't bore me per se, I just find certain teams and players more interesting to watch.

big_w
09-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Word. Makes perfect sense.

I'm from NY and the only home team I follow are the Yankees.
Suns, Penguins, and Saints for the rest. Video games got me into the Saints and Penguins. And I happened to like Majerle who got me into the Suns.

I wish I could have been a hometown fan but it just didn't work out that way. I see nothing wrong with it.

2-ONE-5
09-16-2013, 11:05 AM
B a n d w a g o n

f a n s

2-ONE-5
09-16-2013, 11:09 AM

Bandwagon is just who you are follow the leader...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95gP3m-uBHA

this x10000000

2-ONE-5
09-16-2013, 11:12 AM

great post man i couldnt said it better myself.

jstone0716
09-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Grew up in Dallas... Diehard Mavs/Cowboys/Rangers/Stars fan... just don't have the same draw to any other teams. I can't really explain it, like during the Mavs 2011 playoff run it was just so intense, the passion and emotion was crazy! But being a proud Texan, I've always had no problem rooting for the Spurs and Rockets. Like last year, I was supporting the Spurs all the way through the playoffs. Will probably be doing the same this year and I'm excited to see how the Rockets play.

I just don't see the draw in hoping on the Heat or Lakers... or OKC as of late, bandwagons. There's no passion in it!

benzni
09-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Warriors are probably the most exciting team to watch. Did you even know about last years playoffs. I was pulling for them because they are a young team that was finally having success. I don't really understand how you find them boring.

albertajaysfan
09-16-2013, 08:41 PM
As a Toronto sports fan who hasn't lived in Toronto for almost ten years I am fine with people cheering for any team they so choose.

My only thing is be honest about it. Are you just a fan of the sport and you will watch any game that is a good game or do you become a fan of good teams all the time. Those are very different scenarios.

Plus to top it off I will admit I pay a lot more attention when my team is winning. When they aren't I just watch the good games in any of the 3 leagues I pay attention to (NHL, NBA, MLB).

I personally love to watch the team that doesn't have superstars but is an awesome team. A la Denver Nuggets last year.

To say the Warriors are boring this year though puzzles me. Did you watch any of the San Antonio-Golden State series last playoffs? Because it was an amazing series and really showcased Steph Curry as an up and coming star.

JLynn943
09-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Living near Philadelphia has only made me despise Philadelphia sports. The fanbase (at least what I've dealt with) is a bunch of obnoxious, fickle, fair-weather fans. If the team closest to me is somehow supposed to represent me, they're doing a ****** job of it. I was a 76ers fan for a little only because of Iverson, and being a 76ers fan actually made me a Kings fan, and I've stuck with them. Any suggestion I'm a bandwagon fan of the Kings for the past 10+ years would be a total joke.

Kushed
09-16-2013, 08:51 PM

I was getting at that your parents might be from a different state thus are loyal to the team of that state. Now as you would be growing up, you might be living in a different state but take your parents team because thats who they root for.

I'm not saying there aren't any other circumstances that people have for choosing teams because there are probably plenty.. Maybe someone from your high school made it to the NFL and now you root for the team he plays for. Maybe you have a relative who works for an NFL team and you root for them.. I mean I'm sure there are plenty of solid reasons, but as for the people who just bandwagon, I've never understood that.

Kushed
09-16-2013, 08:52 PM
great post man i couldnt said it better myself.

thanks man

Celtics33
09-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Its gonna be a tough couple years for the C's.....

N3TS
09-16-2013, 09:04 PM
I still root for the Nhl Flames, Nba Raptors, Mlb Jays, but sometimes especially with the Raptors when VC got traded I ended up paying as much if not more attention to the nets when I was a kid, but when the nets play the Raptors I will root for the Raptors unless they are already out of the playoff picture later in the season.

Pablonovi
09-16-2013, 09:29 PM
As evidenced from the posts so far, there are definitely different philosophies possible in answer to the question, "What type of fan is the 'best'?"

I've been a Lakers fan for 55 years. I've been an NBA fan as long. I have never lived in L.A. My "philosophy" or attitude towards "best fans" type questions:

imo There is NO wrong answer.

Any reason one finds to root for any team or individual is as good as any other reason any other fan could give for his/her choice. Rooting for the "home" team (perhaps because you believe they "represent" you or your town/city) is a kind of "patriotism". Works for lots of people; doesn't for me and lots of others.

Likewise, what one person finds exciting, others don't. It's all completely subjective, how could it be otherwise.

On the other hand, what I object to is any fan riding any other fan for virtually any reason. First, it's NONE of his/her business; and they have NO moral superiority from which they would even have the right to criticize.

Second, there is NO objective moral basis to look down upon temporary fan-dom. I have no problem with band-wagon fans. I myself was not a Miami Heat fan until LeBron went there. If he leaves next year, I won't be a Miami Heat fan anymore. If LeBron stops being as great as he's been, I imagine I'll stop being a LeBron fan. Any one can call this bandwagoning if they want to (afterall anyone can claim almost anything about anybody; but that doesn't make it righteous).

Afterall, NBA basketball (and sports in general) is NOT anything close to a burning issue, something really important in society, in our lives. On that basis alone, any heat / hatred / flaming from one (set of) fan(s) towards others is just plain inappropriate because it just straight-out exaggeration.

Personally, I salute your independent stand of rooting for whoever you care to root for, for as long as you care to do so, and for whatever reasons you find sufficient.

big_w
09-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Some great points, indeed.

For me, basketball has always been the most esthetically pleasing, graceful team sport on the planet. That's always been my criteria for who I choose to watch. Whether it was world b. free's rainbow jumper, shaq's mind-boggling dominance in college, or the showtime theatrics of rubio and lin today. Basketball is where physical competition and artistry meet.

I'm really looking forward to this season, and I've got my eyes on minny and houston in particular. I'm looking forward to some spectacular PG play from rubio and lin, now that both of these guys are healthy. It's gonna be a lot of fun watching rubio and lin hook up with their respective bigs! :)

As evidenced from the posts so far, there are definitely different philosophies possible in answer to the question, "What type of fan is the 'best'?"

I've been a Lakers fan for 55 years. I've been an NBA fan as long. I have never lived in L.A. My "philosophy" or attitude towards "best fans" type questions:

imo There is NO wrong answer.

Any reason one finds to root for any team or individual is as good as any other reason any other fan could give for his/her choice. Rooting for the "home" team (perhaps because you believe they "represent" you or your town/city) is a kind of "patriotism". Works for lots of people; doesn't for me and lots of others.

Likewise, what one person finds exciting, others don't. It's all completely subjective, how could it be otherwise.

On the other hand, what I object to is any fan riding any other fan for virtually any reason. First, it's NONE of his/her business; and they have NO moral superiority from which they would even have the right to criticize.

Second, there is NO objective moral basis to look down upon temporary fan-dom. I have no problem with band-wagon fans. I myself was not a Miami Heat fan until LeBron went there. If he leaves next year, I won't be a Miami Heat fan anymore. If LeBron stops being as great as he's been, I imagine I'll stop being a LeBron fan. Any one can call this bandwagoning if they want to (afterall anyone can claim almost anything about anybody; but that doesn't make it righteous).

Afterall, NBA basketball (and sports in general) is NOT anything close to a burning issue, something really important in society, in our lives. On that basis alone, any heat / hatred / flaming from one (set of) fan(s) towards others is just plain inappropriate because it just straight-out exaggeration.

Personally, I salute your independent stand of rooting for whoever you care to root for, for as long as you care to do so, and for whatever reasons you find sufficient.

big_w
09-17-2013, 12:56 AM
Its gonna be a tough couple years for the C's.....

Man, I just don't know what to make of ainge. He was responsible for bringing the big 3 together, and he even saw some success with 'toine and paul pierce. But a lot of his other decisions have struck me as bone-headed, or at best as lateral/neutral moves.

Rondo is equally enigmatic. Is this guy an elite PG or not? He seems to be a divisive force in the locker room, but a lot of insiders claim he's some sort of basketball genius.

I just hope the C's are interesting either this year or in the near future.

tredigs
09-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Looks forward to Lin and his "showtime" ability, thinks Curry is shady and dull. You are the most well constructed troll in PSD-NBA history.

Pablonovi
09-17-2013, 01:34 AM
Looks forward to Lin and his "showtime" ability, thinks Curry is shady and dull. You are the most well constructed troll in PSD-NBA history.

Hey tredigs,
I think the chances of Lin going "showtime" are close to zero; and think Curry this coming year could be uniquely special. So you could be right about big__w.

On the other hand, we should probably have the attitude regarding trolling of: innocent until proven guilty, no?

And he/she is brand new; so wouldn't it be better to give a warm welcome than to stick him/her with ugly labels that have not yet been "earned"?

On the other other hand, what will we be forced to think about our own opinions vis--vis trolling IF Lin explodes and Curry fizzes out?

tredigs
09-17-2013, 02:57 AM
Hey tredigs,
I think the chances of Lin going "showtime" are close to zero; and think Curry this coming year could be uniquely special. So you could be right about big__w.

On the other hand, we should probably have the attitude regarding trolling of: innocent until proven guilty, no?

And he/she is brand new; so wouldn't it be better to give a warm welcome than to stick him/her with ugly labels that have not yet been "earned"?

On the other other hand, what will we be forced to think about our own opinions vis--vis trolling IF Lin explodes and Curry fizzes out?
Haha, well Pablo I was only kidding on account of the fact that I don't think he is actually trolling, and there in lies the hilarity of the comments to me.

That said, barring a transformation on one end and an unfortunate season ending injury on the other, those two occurrences are probably pipe dreams for Lin/Curry.

rhino17
09-17-2013, 03:16 AM
Grew up in Dallas... Diehard Mavs/Cowboys/Rangers/Stars fan... just don't have the same draw to any other teams. I can't really explain it, like during the Mavs 2011 playoff run it was just so intense, the passion and emotion was crazy! But being a proud Texan, I've always had no problem rooting for the Spurs and Rockets. Like last year, I was supporting the Spurs all the way through the playoffs. Will probably be doing the same this year and I'm excited to see how the Rockets play.

I have nothing but respect for the spurs (bruce bowen being the exception) but that is very rare that you would be willing to root for a houston team. People from houston or Dallas generally have great hate for anything related to the other city. I think most rockets/mavs fans would actively root against the other. I know if you were caught wearing a Romo or Dirk jersey in Houston, you'd be in for quite a rough day,

Pablonovi
09-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Haha, well Pablo I was only kidding on account of the fact that I don't think he is actually trolling, and there in lies the hilarity of the comments to me.

That said, barring a transformation on one end and an unfortunate season ending injury on the other, those two occurrences are probably pipe dreams for Lin/Curry.

Hey tredigs,
Yeah, I didn't really think some one as seasoned as you would be trolling the trolls. On the other hand, I wouldn't be opposed to Lin going Magic and Curry staying magical. Don't much wish injuries on athletes.

My biggest doubt is about myself; it's been half-nailed down that I'm the dupe of somebody in general (or even of more than one person); and the other half are sure I'm the dupe of Hoops-Prophet, which they told me was the ultimate compliment because he was one of the most badass posters ever here. I'm now so confused about duping trolls and trolling dupes that I guess ...

I need a new drug.

On a somewhat more serious note, the more I think about "Rooting For The Home Team"; the more confused I get about how much of a good thing that is.

When I grew up, it was so good/bad (depending on one's point of view) that it inevitably led to fights between fans of opposing teams; AND parents horribly riding their own kids - because any mistake was humiliating and, worst?, aiding the enemy. None of that appealed to me either as a kid on the receiving end of it; nor, later as an adult, being in the stands next to other parents brow-beating their own.

My kids got involved in High School sports. I constantly saw kids crying in public, why? Because their own parents had pushed them too hard, they had pushed themselves too hard, then had gotten exhausted and couldn't finish - all in front of all their competitors, FRIENDS and parents. This infuriated me; that's child abuse in my book.

I'm a coach of various sports (running (and Track & Field), bicycling, volleyball, basketball). And I'd offer helpful suggestions to athletes from teams of "opposing" schools. Their coaches and parents would universally thank me *; while "our" teams' coaches would jump on my case, "If you're gonna help our enemies; it'd be better if you don't attend the events anymore." YIKES! Whatever happened to "Love your fellow (wo)man"? And, gee whiz, aren't we supposed to be super-kind, a lot kinder (than we might be to each other as adults), with all the kids?

Is it really a really bad thing to root for great performers and performances by athletes and teams that are NOT one's home team? As Hall & Oates would say, "I can't go for that, no-oo-oo!"

And what about when, maybe even by accident, you get to witness something truly remarkable by the "other" guys/gals? Are you supposed to NOT root for astonishly great things, just because your own team didn't do it? But, we are being told, by "true-believers" in this very thread; that, perhaps rooting for others might be ok; but what is never, supposedly, ok, is BANDWAGONNING. Why is that so so bad; that's it's the #1 GOAT Mortal Sin for sports fans? Says who?

I once lived in a region of all small towns. There wasn't one baseball game without blood out in the parking lot (and this didn't involve any of the women). I started breaking up fights (which it turns out, despite my smallish size, I'm very good at) BUT which is incredibly dangerous (who would have thought people could get so crazy over something so unimportant in the grand scheme of things); and then I stopped going to games (it was way healthier for us would-be peacemakers; and besides I couldn't even relax and enjoy when I was constantly watching to see where the violence was gonna come from next).

Then I look around all these sports forums, and what do I see? Viral hatred because, as Mick Jagger used to say,
"... but he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me." So, I ask myself, "Self, is this really a good thing, this rabid homerism which seems to inevitably lead to rabid hatred of everybody else?"

Then I look around the world. Every member of every religion "roots for the home team" to a virtually insane degree; afterall, theirs is supposedly the only TRUE one. So ALL the members of ALL the other religions (and somehow, impossibly it's even worse for us atheists) are SUPPOSEDLY all going to hell for all eternity. Yikes. Does this All-Time GOAT punishment provoke sympathy in them; on the contrary, they HATE them. They can't wait to even help them get their by wishing them evil and even helping to kill them. Is that not some serious hypocrisy and horrible-evilness by the (millions of) ones who most proclaim themselves to be pure-of-heart and god-like?

And then all these wars? As Edwin Starr said, "War, what the hell ya good for?" How is all this killing and destruction of human beings justified? "They ain't on our (home) team"? Really?

As far as I can see, amongst the possibly 30 MILLION SPECIES on this little planet, human beings ARE THE ONLY ONE that, instead of being united to survive TOGETHER, is its own worst enemy. Aren't we ALL on our own species-wide HOME TEAM?

So, Is Rooting For The Home Team Really All That Great A Thing To Do?
I've got some serious doubts, myself. What about the rest of you?

* Perhaps the most special case was this: This High School Boy mile-runner was the best runner "in 7 counties" as they say. A true phenom, something to behold. BUT everytime I saw him race I immediately sense that something was very wrong. So I started timing him. And sure enough, his fastest lap, instead of being his last, was his first, and way faster than all the others. That's running-suicide. So I asked his coaches (there were a number of them) for permission to make a suggestion or two to him. They had seen me help other kids from other schools over the years so that said, "As long as you promise to tell us what you said and what he said about that, afterwards, then cool." So I told him, "Son, your last laps are always your slowest and they should be your fastest. Have you noticed this? (He admitted that he had). And isn't running slow as you finish a race is a bummer of the worst kind? ("Yes, once in a while, I even get passed by a kid or two who shouldn't even be close to me by then!") Well, try to pay strict attention to the effort you put out early, and hold back just a little on the first lap, especially on the first 1/4 lap."

At that very meet, the kid absolutely destroyed the field. He had his fastest final lap ever; and he had a killer smile even while he was hammering those last 400 meters / 440 yards! Then he was jumping in the air, his coaches, fellow athletes and family screaming. His fastest race! (up to that point; he'd go on to even better stuff, soon enough; now that he (and his coaches) had the "hang" of it). I didn't see him at all in all that merriment; but he tracked me down just as we were boarding our own team vehicles. He pulled me to the side with a tear in his eye and said, simply, "I owe you, sir." Just because he WASN'T ON OUR TEAM, was I supposed to deprive such a fine young human being of the one piece of advice he was lacking that was holding him back from being super-special?

ChicagoJ
09-17-2013, 12:28 PM
I've been a die hard bulls fan since the 80s so I always root for them. But, when they were awful after the Jordan era it was hard to watch. I followed mostly on sports radio and didn't catch as many games as usual.

As for rooting for other teams, I root for players, story lines, and whoever is playing the main team(s) I am rooting against. I really wanted to see Duncan win another chip last season.

TheIlladelph16
09-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Living near Philadelphia has only made me despise Philadelphia sports. The fanbase (at least what I've dealt with) is a bunch of obnoxious, fickle, fair-weather fans. If the team closest to me is somehow supposed to represent me, they're doing a ****** job of it. I was a 76ers fan for a little only because of Iverson, and being a 76ers fan actually made me a Kings fan, and I've stuck with them. Any suggestion I'm a bandwagon fan of the Kings for the past 10+ years would be a total joke.

We truly are a misunderstood fan base. Makes me a little sad.

2-ONE-5
09-17-2013, 01:00 PM

yup. theres much worse in other cities

Pablonovi
09-17-2013, 01:21 PM

Hey TheIlladelph and JLynn943,
This is both super-sad and super-funny to me.
I was born/raised in New Jersey (most of the State is considered the suburbs of NYC); and, the rabidness of sports fans, particularly the Yankees, first swept me up in the love (easy when you win more than anybody else CAUSE you out-spend them); and then, later, maybe me ashamed of them and me.

What cured me probably was the Mets. They were SO BAD, it was easy, automatic to be a humble fan. That's what made me "SEE" the rabidness of the Yankee fans (again me included). Heck, I was in the Stadium during those double-headers when Maris-Mantle tore up the League and the Home Run Record. *

I was actually born in Jersey City, just across the river from Phily; so I got to "live" that fan base's rabidity too.

Then, I went to High School 4 years just outside of Boston. If anything, Boston/Celtics fans are the best/worst of all. (Surprise, then were in the process of winning 11 of 13 Championships!). And, boy were they racist! There was ALWAYS "blood on the dance floor" (read: parking lots of the stadiums (after the games) and liquor stores (long after the games)). I almost got my butt killed by accident any number of times; just cause one single word would automatically lead to 50 some idiots beating the living daylights out of each other, and any would-be standers-by).

Then my dad got a job in D.C., and I "lived" that fan-base's rabidity. And, suddenly, it hit me: it's for entirely different teams, hating (all) the other ones; but it's the SAME rabidity!

But from 8 years old on, I was an equally rabid Lakers fan (though this was due to the anti-racism and poetic beauty of Baylor-West (and, equally, "O"-Lucas).

So, I came to see both the nice devotion and the sad pathology (if you will) of fan-dom; "up close and personal" as Howard Cossell used to say.

I never lived in L.A., but was in San Diego for some 40 years; and had many relatives and friends there. I got to live the Lakers-dominance for that entire period; boy was it fun and easy being a rabid fan then!

So, yes, fan-bases do get a bad/sad rep; but, on the other time, often it is justly deserved.

I'd guess, the "best" fans are the ones who root for teams that don't hardly ever win Chips - they're the most humble, the most gracious, the fairest-minded, and the least dangerous, violence-wise.
-----
* Perhaps even then, but more certainly now, some 50 years later, people did not / may not know that between Maris (and his 61 HRs) and Mantle (and his 56 iirc); Mantle was the far greater. Opposing pitchers HAD TO pitch to Maris, and pitch super-sweet, because Mickey was automatic death for them. This is THE reason why Maris barely hit more Home Runs than Mantle. IF Mantle had been 3rd in the line-up and Maris clean-up; Maris wouldn't have gotten 40 HRs.

tredigs
09-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Ha Pablo, you rarely cease to entertain me. The seamless integration of Hall & Oats + Mick Jagger lyrics in a post delving deeper into the meta game of ultra-homerism that rings of our warfare instincts?? Well played. I'd argue that humans are far from the only specie with tribal attitudes who allow that to lead to constant fighting, but we're definitely the grand example, and the only ones capable of mutually assured decimation, so there is that.

I do applaud your coaching philosophy and ultimately it's the best case scenario to leave the vitriol out of sports, but not everyone has refined themselves to harness their passion like that. It's Cyclops energy blasting with the visor on or off, I guess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB6u0Z-qBQ0 Ironically (based on the OP's post), it reminds me of some super flattering comments one of the preeminent coaches of this generation made about Curry following a game where Curry lit up the Spurs earlier this season, "With Pop, you never know what kind of response you’re going to get. In this case he waxed poetic, using a 35-point performance by Golden State sharpshooter Stephen Curry just days earlier as a cipher for his enduring love of the game.
“It was like playing against Michael Jordan,” he said. “I was watching him make shots I couldn’t believe anybody could make. When you get close to playoffs, you see those kinds of performances. It’s always memorable for all of us — coach, fans, players, everyone.”

Curry's response, "Curry was told about the high praise he received from Coach Popovich and his response drew laughter among the media members. “Was he drunk when he said that?” Curry said, prompting a round of laughter from the assembled media horde. “That’s crazy. I don’t know. That’s an awesome compliment but that’s a small sample size he saw on the court that one game. Hopefully, I can do it again, but to compare me to MJ is crazy.”

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/popovich_compares_steph_curry_to_michael_jordan_th en_gets_sobriety_questioned/13555910

flea
09-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Steph Curry is not a "blue chip star?" The New York Knicks and their bull**** ISO offense is more fun to watch? Are you sure you even like basketball and not just the ESPN dunk/block clips?

colinskik
09-17-2013, 03:08 PM
As another poster put it, one is usually a fan of the local team because those are the games that are televised in your area and by default you become a fan and it evolves into a love and loyalty for the place you call home.

Now with expanded coverage and video games, people can watch any game they want and root for the players they deem to be the most exciting.

Despite all of that, I still don't watch other games with as much enthusiasm and passion as I do my Knicks, Yankees, and Jets. I watch the Nets, Mets, and Giants with interest, but in the end don't get visibly upset if they lose.

The one exception is when I lived in LA for college during the era of Laker dominance ('03-'07) and became a de facto Laker fan because it was always in my face and they were exciting to watch. I actually became a true fan, and still am to a certain degree, but it's a distant second to my Knicks. Even during that time when the Knicks were absolutely awful, I still rooted for them with more passion than I did the Lakers.

What I don't understand about the OP's point, besides saying the Ws are boring, which they clearly are the complete opposite, is his point about being a Wolves fan because they are exciting. Both Rubio and Love have been injured and have hardly even played together, so I wouldn't call that exciting or interesting basketball whatsoever.

Pablonovi
09-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Ha Pablo, you rarely cease to entertain me. The seamless integration of Hall & Oats + Mick Jagger lyrics in a post delving deeper into the meta game of ultra-homerism that rings of our warfare instincts?? Well played. I'd argue that humans are far from the only specie with tribal attitudes who allow that to lead to constant fighting, but we're definitely the grand example, and the only ones capable of mutually assured decimation, so there is that.

I do applaud your coaching philosophy and ultimately it's the best case scenario to leave the vitriol out of sports, but not everyone has refined themselves to harness their passion like that. It's Cyclops energy blasting with the visor on or off, I guess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB6u0Z-qBQ0 Ironically (based on the OP's post), it reminds me of some super flattering comments one of the preeminent coaches of this generation made about Curry following a game where Curry lit up the Spurs earlier this season, "With Pop, you never know what kind of response you’re going to get. In this case he waxed poetic, using a 35-point performance by Golden State sharpshooter Stephen Curry just days earlier as a cipher for his enduring love of the game.
“It was like playing against Michael Jordan,” he said. “I was watching him make shots I couldn’t believe anybody could make. When you get close to playoffs, you see those kinds of performances. It’s always memorable for all of us — coach, fans, players, everyone.”

Curry's response, "Curry was told about the high praise he received from Coach Popovich and his response drew laughter among the media members. “Was he drunk when he said that?” Curry said, prompting a round of laughter from the assembled media horde. “That’s crazy. I don’t know. That’s an awesome compliment but that’s a small sample size he saw on the court that one game. Hopefully, I can do it again, but to compare me to MJ is crazy.”

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/popovich_compares_steph_curry_to_michael_jordan_th en_gets_sobriety_questioned/13555910

Hey tredigs,
Let me get the "small stuff" out of the way first.
Thanx muchly for the compliment(s).
My life has been one continuous experience of feeling like I'm a "stranger in a strange land". Always speaking my mind (though NEVER arrogantly), especially against any injustice; always trying to help others (even at my own expense); always being as fair as I could be; AND always getting in trouble for being too something, mostly weird, even unique. Can't erase that out of my character; wouldn't want to IF I could ... there'd be no "me" worth living with!)

Now the bigger stuff.
Dude, this post of yours just stuns me (and not because you started off complimenting me quite nicely).
You've got profundity, you've got well-roundedness, you've got humor, you've got poetry ... damned; I keep re-reading it; it's that good (OR I'm just doing what dupes do, am I you?) hehe

My memory is crap (and I haven't even smoked the good stuff for several decades); but I had been thinking that we, you and me, had had a minor run-in, in some other thread, over, for sure, some dumb thing I probably said (there seems to be no limit, nor any control, it's hopeless!). Anyway, regardless of whether that happened (only in my imagination?) it IS a pleasure to "trade" compliments now based on quality posts. Nice.

About Curry. This made me roar in laughter, too. What a special person it is (especially in our dominated-by-arrogance society, especially by millionaire-athletes) that can do such awe-inspiring things to begin with, then receive a Pop-style classic compliment, and respond so thoroughly humbly! Kudos to you Curry!

big_w
09-17-2013, 06:23 PM
The lesson here is very simple: enjoy playing and watching this game. It's a game. I don't take it anymore seriously than I do checkers, or chess or bejeweled blitz.

I honestly don't care where a player was born, or what city they represent. It's illogical to take these pseudo-allegiances seriously. I remember when Kevin Love received death threats for choosing UCLA over the U of O. Really? That's just pathetic.

Jeremy Lin grew up in E. Palo Alto as one of the top players in the state, yet Stanford never offered him a scholarship. Ironically, Knicks fans on the opposite coast embraced him with a rabid fervor, and a small minority of them taunted him with racial slurs the minute he left. For Houston, of all places, a team that cut him just months earlier, and now announced him as a conquering hero.

It's illogical and pointless to imagine that any of us have any real ties with a professional sports team. The owner rarely if ever has close ties with the local community. It is very rare for any of the players to have played hs or college ball in the same state, much less the same city. And most players will leave "your" team within a few years time. Entire rosters can turn over within a season or two.

It's entertainment. Any allegiance you have to "your" team is a complete fiction. You derive no income from your team. "Your" team has few if any players who grew up in the city or played for a local team in high school or college. "Your" players will announce total loyalty once signed and pack their bags without the slightest hesitation when they receive a better offer.

Enjoy this as entertainment. That's all it is. Anything else is delusion.

big_w
09-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Conversely, there's also a good chance that "your" team has engaged in actions which are actually detrimental to your community. Such as draining the city's coffers to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars every couple of decades so that the taxpayers finance the cost of a new stadium/arena in order to make a billionaire even richer than they started.

Or, in brooklyn's case, by destroying a housing complex and displacing hundreds of people in the process.

big_w
09-17-2013, 06:35 PM
No, he is not. Steph is one of the top 30 players in the league, but not a top 10 or 15 player. The players who comprise the all nba teams (15 players) comprise what I consider to be "blue chippers." Steph didn't make the all star team, either, which weakens his case even further.

The knicks have terrific talent, and I like their effort level under Woodson. They iso carmelo, but he is the league's leading scorer, and it's fun watching him play when he gets into a groove.

I love basketball and consider myself an addict, but I don't resort to profanity or name-calling when my opinion differs from that of another person. :)

Steph Curry is not a "blue chip star?" The New York Knicks and their bull**** ISO offense is more fun to watch? Are you sure you even like basketball and not just the ESPN dunk/block clips?

big_w
09-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Rubio and Love are healthy coming into the season, and it will be a lot of fun watching them hook up and learn to play with each other.

I didn't say the warriors were boring; I wrote that I like watching the elite players in the nba play more than I like watching Steph and David Lee play.

I don't consider myself obligated to find the local team exciting just because they're local, however.

As another poster put it, one is usually a fan of the local team because those are the games that are televised in your area and by default you become a fan and it evolves into a love and loyalty for the place you call home.

Now with expanded coverage and video games, people can watch any game they want and root for the players they deem to be the most exciting.

Despite all of that, I still don't watch other games with as much enthusiasm and passion as I do my Knicks, Yankees, and Jets. I watch the Nets, Mets, and Giants with interest, but in the end don't get visibly upset if they lose.

The one exception is when I lived in LA for college during the era of Laker dominance ('03-'07) and became a de facto Laker fan because it was always in my face and they were exciting to watch. I actually became a true fan, and still am to a certain degree, but it's a distant second to my Knicks. Even during that time when the Knicks were absolutely awful, I still rooted for them with more passion than I did the Lakers.

What I don't understand about the OP's point, besides saying the Ws are boring, which they clearly are the complete opposite, is his point about being a Wolves fan because they are exciting. Both Rubio and Love have been injured and have hardly even played together, so I wouldn't call that exciting or interesting basketball whatsoever.

big_w
09-17-2013, 06:41 PM
They had some great young talent even in their lean years, however: ty chandler, eddy curry (he wasn't so great, but he was highly touted), and elton brand. I also marveled at the fans' loyalty: I guess the brand new united center was still a major draw, regardless.

Chicago may very well be the greatest sports town in the US of A. Everyone LOVES pro sports in chicago.

I've been a die hard bulls fan since the 80s so I always root for them. But, when they were awful after the Jordan era it was hard to watch. I followed mostly on sports radio and didn't catch as many games as usual.

As for rooting for other teams, I root for players, story lines, and whoever is playing the main team(s) I am rooting against. I really wanted to see Duncan win another chip last season.

tredigs
09-17-2013, 06:43 PM
The lesson here is very simple: enjoy playing and watching this game. It's a game. I don't take it anymore seriously than I do checkers, or chess or bejeweled blitz.

I honestly don't care where a player was born, or what city they represent. It's illogical to take these pseudo-allegiances seriously. I remember when Kevin Love received death threats for choosing UCLA over the U of O. Really? That's just pathetic.

Jeremy Lin grew up in E. Palo Alto as one of the top players in the state, yet Stanford never offered him a scholarship. Ironically, Knicks fans on the opposite coast embraced him with a rabid fervor, and a small minority of them taunted him with racial slurs the minute he left. For Houston, of all places, a team that cut him just months earlier, and now announced him as a conquering hero.

It's illogical and pointless to imagine that any of us have any real ties with a professional sports team. The owner rarely if ever has close ties with the local community. It is very rare for any of the players to have played hs or college ball in the same state, much less the same city. And most players will leave "your" team within a few years time. Entire rosters can turn over within a season or two.

It's entertainment. Any allegiance you have to "your" team is a complete fiction. You derive no income from your team. "Your" team has few if any players who grew up in the city or played for a local team in high school or college. "Your" players will announce total loyalty once signed and pack their bags without the slightest hesitation when they receive a better offer.

Enjoy this as entertainment. That's all it is. Anything else is delusion.

It may be illogical and pointless to you, but a sports team is one of the very few ways for a community of all races, religions and socia-economic statuses to bind together for a common goal. If everybody from the community were fans of a different squad or players, you might as well be talking to them about your fantasy squad; few if any will care what you have to say. The teams also offer thousands of jobs for the community, and for those people and their families the success of the franchise actually helps them financially (playoffs, bonuses, etc).

The baseball team I root for is located across the US, and it does suck having nobody on your side during their games, and likewise being the only one not happy when (for example) the Giants won their World Series'. Luckily, I still have the Warriors. And that connection to all the fans around here is amazing. And it doesn't mean you can't love the game as a whole or enjoy players from other teams.

Anyway, like I've mentioned a few times now, I have no qualms with your style of fandom (even if I don't think it garners you the full experience of going through the roller coaster with a community), what I had a laugh at is the perception you have of Golden State.

@Pablo, likewise, good stuff.

big_w
09-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Warriors are probably the most exciting team to watch. Did you even know about last years playoffs. I was pulling for them because they are a young team that was finally having success. I don't really understand how you find them boring.

Again, I don't find them boring; I find teams with elite players to be more interesting.

I've enjoyed watching the warriors immensely over the years, but this version just doesn't appeal to me. I loved nellie ball, and the great teams under al attles as well. Mark Jackson has a chance to do great things, but the bay area doesn't seem to be behind him despite his success, which I find rather strange.

tredigs
09-17-2013, 06:50 PM
big_w, you find Harden and Rubio elite, but not Curry? I'd be curious to see your list of top ~15 or so players in the league.

big_w
09-17-2013, 06:56 PM
big_w, you find Harden and Rubio elite, but not Curry? I'd be curious to see your list of top ~15 or so players in the league.

You really need to work on your reading comprehension. I never stated that rubio is "elite." I said I am looking forward to watching rubio and love play together.

Yes, harden is elite: a top 15 player in the association.

Curry is not an all nba player, and did not make the all star team. He is not an "elite" ie top 15 player.

big_w
09-17-2013, 07:01 PM

You've got nearly 12,000 posts in less than 4 years. Sports can be fun to watch, but you seem to have lost a sense of balance of it's relative importance. 3,000 posts a year or 250 posts a month, means nearly 9 posts a day every day for 4 years. Is it really that important? Imagine how much you could have accomplished if you had spent your time otherwise.

The curry debate is irrelevant to me. What's fascinating to me is how people can invest inordinate amounts of time to activities and topics which provide no tangible return on their investment.

tredigs
09-17-2013, 07:03 PM
You really need to work on your reading comprehension. I never stated that rubio is "elite." I said I am looking forward to watching rubio and love play together.

Yes, harden is elite: a top 15 player in the association.

Curry is not an all nba player, and did not make the all star team. He is not an "elite" ie top 15 player.

Ahh I see, you said they were "tremendous players", not elite.

Do you simply go by what others think of these players, ie All Star Teams/All NBA? For what it's worth, the Curry All Star non-selection was the most talked about snub of the year and he made sure they realized that in posting 26/4/7.5 on 48/46/89 in leading the Warriors to the post season + 2nd round post All Star Break.

For comparison, Harden posted 26/5/6 on 41/39/84 in that span. Rubio 13/5/8 on 37/34/82.

I'd say he's elite.

You've got nearly 12,000 posts in less than 4 years. Sports can be fun to watch, but you seem to have lost a sense of balance of it's relative importance. 3,000 posts a year or 250 posts a month, means nearly 9 posts a day every day for 4 years. Is it really that important? Imagine how much you could have accomplished if you had spent your time otherwise.

The curry debate is irrelevant to me. What's fascinating to me is how people can invest inordinate amounts of time to activities and topics which provide no tangible return on their investment.

I'm not going to bother boasting my lifestyle or accomplishments to you, but rest assure that I have plenty of time on my hands to be a nice producer for this society of ours. Don't worry about me pops.

big_w
09-17-2013, 07:47 PM
I certainly have no interest in your "lifestyle" or "accomplishments." :) But posting nearly double digits every day for 4 years straight is all of the information I need about your "lifestyle" and "accomplishments." This forum is a huge time sink for you.

Take a breather. Start PLAYING sports instead of arguing about people who don't know anything about you, care about you, or benefit you in any way. Spend time with your friends and/or family.

I can assure you your time on this forum could've been spent more productively otherwise. :)

tredigs
09-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Don't look now big_w, you're on pace for 14k posts in your first 4 years! I had my degree paid for thanks to a sport, it's a good hobby I agree.

Hawkeye15
09-17-2013, 08:14 PM

Rubio is gonna be elite!

says a man with a prayer........

flea
09-17-2013, 09:04 PM
I don't think there's an appreciable difference between Harden and Curry. If I were starting a franchise of course I'd take Harden but if we took injury concerns out of the equation I'd go Curry.

Pablonovi
09-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Rubio is gonna be elite!

Hey Hawk,
You have ALL my sympathies. I love Pau; but if the Lakers ever do trade him; I'd root for him to join his bro and Rubio ... turn the T-Wolves into the Spanish National Team, and go win the Chip! You true fans of a perennially non-winner deserve your moment in the sun!

big_w
09-17-2013, 11:09 PM
Rubio is gonna be elite!

Rubio is soooooo reluctant to shoot the j, it's almost embarrassing. I don't know if he's worked on repairing his j during the offseason, but it should've been priority one. And, here's to hopin'. :)

big_w
09-17-2013, 11:12 PM
I don't think there's an appreciable difference between Harden and Curry. If I were starting a franchise of course I'd take Harden but if we took injury concerns out of the equation I'd go Curry.

Harden's an elite scorer and playmaker; a legitimate top 10 player. I would definitely take harden over kobe at this point in their careers.

big_w
09-18-2013, 03:41 AM
This is really ridiculous. Cheering for a local team is not a "goal." You achieve nothing as a result of attending a game. That is, unless you consider drinking some beers, eating a hotdog, and cheering for a bunch of millionaires while sitting on your butt an "achievement." I don't know what college you attended, but perhaps you might take some additional time post-graduation (that is, if you graduated) to look up the terms "achievement" and "goal" in a dictionary. Attending a game is simply a form of entertainment. No more, no less.

Also, ticket buyers are disproportionately white and well heeled. It's ironic that while the majority of nba players are african american, only a small minority of season ticket holders or even single game ticket buyers are african american.

Third, most of the jobs generated by sports franchises are low-wage, temporary, seasonal work with no career track, zero benefits and close to a zero percent chance of offering a living wage. You might as well apply for a job at mcdonald's.

Fourth, I have no problem with your "perception" of "my" style of fandom. Your level of literacy is so low, and your desire to troll so high, your "perceptions" are quite laughable.

Again, I urge you to consider how you are using your time. You've devoted FOUR YEARS of your life to trolling this forum. What a waste.

It may be illogical and pointless to you, but a sports team is one of the very few ways for a community of all races, religions and socia-economic statuses to bind together for a common goal. If everybody from the community were fans of a different squad or players, you might as well be talking to them about your fantasy squad; few if any will care what you have to say. The teams also offer thousands of jobs for the community, and for those people and their families the success of the franchise actually helps them financially (playoffs, bonuses, etc).

The baseball team I root for is located across the US, and it does suck having nobody on your side during their games, and likewise being the only one not happy when (for example) the Giants won their World Series'. Luckily, I still have the Warriors. And that connection to all the fans around here is amazing. And it doesn't mean you can't love the game as a whole or enjoy players from other teams.

Anyway, like I've mentioned a few times now, I have no qualms with your style of fandom (even if I don't think it garners you the full experience of going through the roller coaster with a community), what I had a laugh at is the perception you have of Golden State.

@Pablo, likewise, good stuff.

tredigs
09-18-2013, 05:02 AM
This is really ridiculous. Cheering for a local team is not a "goal." You achieve nothing as a result of attending a game. That is, unless you consider drinking some beers, eating a hotdog, and cheering for a bunch of millionaires while sitting on your butt an "achievement." I don't know what college you attended, but perhaps you might take some additional time post-graduation (that is, if you graduated) to look up the terms "achievement" and "goal" in a dictionary. Attending a game is simply a form of entertainment. No more, no less.

Also, ticket buyers are disproportionately white and well heeled. It's ironic that while the majority of nba players are african american, only a small minority of season ticket holders or even single game ticket buyers are african american.

Third, most of the jobs generated by sports franchises are low-wage, temporary, seasonal work with no career track, zero benefits and close to a zero percent chance of offering a living wage. You might as well apply for a job at mcdonald's.

Fourth, I have no problem with your "perception" of "my" style of fandom. Your level of literacy is so low, and your desire to troll so high, your "perceptions" are quite laughable.

Again, I urge you to consider how you are using your time. You've devoted FOUR YEARS of your life to trolling this forum. What a waste.

Such a bitter little guy, aren't ya? Is this what happens when fans go nomad? : /

Tickets to W's games cost as little as $10-$15, you don't need to be a trial attorney to see them play. Beyond that, being at the game itself is largely irrelevant to being a fan and watching them with your boys at a bar, or talking about them at school/work, etc.

And no, Plato, the "goal" is not to cheer for the team, that's the bi-product of hoping they win games / make the playoffs / win a title, etc. I.e., that they succeed. This isn't exactly a new phenomena and it's why you see so many "bandwagon fans" when a team's hot; they all want to be part of the fun and get in on the action too. If you're rooting for Rubio while everyone else is in a W's jersey rooting for Curry during a Saturday night playoff matchup downtown, it's an outcast situation. Which, again, is obviously fine. But if you're too dense to realize that a home team means more to many than simple entertainment (as if it's a TV show or something), I don't know what to tell you. You clearly aren't grasping that not everyone shares your mind set. I'm far from a die hard fan for a home team, but to deny that hundreds of millions all across the world are just that (have you ever been to a soccer match in Europe or South America? Rugby in New Zealand?) is just a pretty pathetic, dismissive and myopic viewpoint on the idea of "hometown" sports fandom. To many, it's a welcomed distraction and common allegiance. What else (other than religion, maybe?) do cities have that bring people together like that? Even if it's ultimately trivial in the grand scheme of things, sports - and especially their home team - matter quite a bit to a lot of people.

I'm also pretty skeptical that this is your first account, being that you came right in and created a troll thread with post #1 and are this combative. But hey, you're already gaining on that 4k post per year average my man! Either way, I'm done with you. Enjoy your stay.

colinskik
09-18-2013, 06:19 AM
Conversely, there's also a good chance that "your" team has engaged in actions which are actually detrimental to your community. Such as draining the city's coffers to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars every couple of decades so that the taxpayers finance the cost of a new stadium/arena in order to make a billionaire even richer than they started.

Or, in brooklyn's case, by destroying a housing complex and displacing hundreds of people in the process.

There was no housing complex that was destroyed in the building of the Barclays Center. Several two-family dwellings and brownstones/ walk ups were razed, as was one fairly new building of about 15 stories or so (a true waste of money) but no "complex" which I take to mean a large gathering of buildings. My favorite bar Freddy's was also lost in the project, which I will never forgive Ratner and the Nets as an org for.

MonroeFAN
09-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Die hard lions fan, Die hard Pistons fan, new-born Tigers fan...

Hockey is very upsetting to me.

todu82
09-18-2013, 09:54 AM
I live in a province of Canada where we have a minor pro team but that's it. I cheer for none of the perceived home teams here in this province. Whereas most people here would cheer for:

MLB: The Blue Jays, I cheer for the Red Sox
NBA: The Raptors, I cheer for the Pistons
NFL: The Patriots, I cheer for the Colts
NHL: The Canadiens or the Leafs, I cheer for the Senators

Pablonovi
09-18-2013, 10:32 PM

Hey big__w,
Because you're seemingly brand new here; I (and I imagine others) have been "giving you some slack" in terms of jumping on your case. But I have a growing suspicion that you are going out of your way to antagonize people.

Perhaps, you might consider taking it a LOT less aggressively towards almost everybody else here?