PDA

View Full Version : Is Michael Beasley one of the smartest players in the NBA?

mrblisterdundee
09-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Michael Beasley partied, smoked weed, got arrested and was later cut by the Phoenix Suns. He did just about everything wrong – or did he?
First he makes nearly $9 million in his first two seasons as a man in his early 20s living on South Beach.
He then earned $23,974,587 in the last three seasons helping his mediocre teams to 57 wins. That's about $420,000 (get it?) a win.
His biggest paycheck yet was when the Phoenix Suns paid him $7 million to simply go away. I wish I could get one-hundredth of 1 percent that much to be told to **** off.
After all that, he's likely headed toward his first championship by the age of 25 with a star-studded Miami Heat that features seven players picked sixth or higher in the NBA draft.
Sure; he offered the Heat a non-guaranteed contract of $1 million for the right, but what is that to a guy who just got paid nearly $24 million for a few years of partying? That's not including the nearly $9 million he's already made off of Miami in exchange for 87 wins.
Now he gets to learn from the best basketball player on the planet, in addition to another great power forward. And if either one of them leaves, and Beasley's at all playing well, he'll probably start getting fat paychecks again to live on South Beach.
Like Sean May's ill-fitting t-shirt says, even when Beasley's failing urinalyses, he "pisses excellence."

ryang
09-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Sometimes pot heads get lucky.

ClearSoulForce
09-13-2013, 06:18 PM
I was going to say how dumb this was but then something else in the article caught my eye. You referred to Chris Bosh as great. THAT was what made this awful.

mrblisterdundee
09-13-2013, 06:21 PM
I was going to say how dumb this was but then something else in the article caught my eye. You referred to Chris Bosh as great. THAT was what made this awful.

Why is it unreasonable to call Chris Bosh a great power forward? I'm not saying he's in LeBron James' league, but he's definitely a good model for Beasley. This thread was meant for a laugh, but obviously that stick's still too far up your butt for enjoyment.

ClearSoulForce
09-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Why is it unreasonable to call Chris Bosh a great power forward? I'm not saying he's in LeBron James' league, but he's definitely a good model for Beasley. This thread was meant for a laugh, but obviously that stick's still too far up your butt for enjoyment.

Because anyone associated with the Heat (and Knicks) is automatically a legend around here.

mrblisterdundee
09-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Because anyone associated with the Heat (and Knicks) is automatically a legend around here.

Would you rather I call him good? I think you might be overestimating the mere mention of someone being great – and Bosh has been pretty great throughout his career. And if you look at my icon, you'll see that I'm a Blazers fan.
It must hurt, being so far up in there. Be sure to see a doctor if it becomes infected; I care about you.

flea
09-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Bosh is one of the best big men in the game. Didn't realize someone thought this was up for debate.

FlashBolt
09-13-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm sorry to say but I think if Bosh had more opportunities to be the leading 1st option, he would be a 20/10 player. I think playing with Miami really helped him win and become efficient, but he hasn't been getting many opportunities to shine. Bosh's last season before coming to Miami was incredible. He was a legitimate MVP candidate that year. If memory stands true, I believe he was the leading MVP candidate at one point. With that being said, I do think Beasley forced himself out of PHX on purpose. He didn't seem to enjoy playing for that team. I can remember him being much more focused and motivated when playing for the Heat. Rest assured, he's been fortunate to make so much money while being immature. Doesn't happen to everyone but he's caught a break few too many times.

slaker619
09-13-2013, 06:56 PM
He made serious moves hope he cleans up forreal tho

albertajaysfan
09-13-2013, 10:32 PM
I feel like smartest may be a slight stretch. But I by no means think he is anywhere near as dumb as most people consider him to be.

Tony_Starks
09-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Bosh is one of the best big men in the game. Didn't realize someone thought this was up for debate.

Until they win the finals and its "Lebron did it all himself"

4milesperday
09-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Beasley is not smart, he's just making money off his potential.

ryang
09-14-2013, 12:49 AM
I'd like to be not smart like Beasley and get paid. Sounds good. Dubbies and millions of dollars.

numba1CHANGsta
09-14-2013, 12:54 AM
He's not smart, he went from a starter to a camp invitee, also during all this bs his value as diminished

bleedprple&gold
09-14-2013, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't call him smart. It's luck more than anything else that he keeps getting opportunities. But I believe this is his last chance if he ****s it up again he's done in the nba.

dodie53
09-14-2013, 09:47 AM
sometimes,
it's better to be lucky than to be good

Kushed
09-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Smart? LOL

this all happened by chance, everything happened by chance, he didn't plan any of this stuff even though it worked out rather nicely

Kushed
09-14-2013, 02:11 PM
By the way, who cares if he smokes weed? I'll tell you why he isn't smart right now, because he's been caught how many f'ing times!! There are guys just like him in the NBA who are puffing now and then but they aren't idiots and they aren't getting caught!

archdevil84
09-14-2013, 03:09 PM
LeBron could be smoking weed right now

koreancabbage
09-14-2013, 10:32 PM
its called dumb luck lol

*Superman*
09-14-2013, 11:56 PM
The guy doesn't know how to smoke weed without getting caught, are we really going to start saying he's smart? Luck is more like it.

ManRam
09-14-2013, 11:59 PM
I don't give a **** if he smokes weed, that means NOTHING. doesn't make him a bad person, lazy, or lesser of a basketball player.

but he's still a **** basketball player and isn't gonna help MIA one bit

static_inferno
09-15-2013, 12:41 AM
It's more like Beasley is dumb. NBA execs are dumber.

king4day
09-15-2013, 10:31 AM
If he was the smartest, he would have learned the game, gotten a max deal somewhere, and been the one to lead his team to elite status.
He was lucky that an elite team took him on but 6 weeks from now he may still be without a team.

RiceOnTheRun
09-16-2013, 02:54 AM
Enjoy life and get out of that shithole all in one move? All the while, getting signed onto the reigning champions?

Hell I'd take $1m to sit on the bench 36 minutes a night.

IndyRealist
09-16-2013, 10:46 AM
He's made what, $35m so far? He could be on a max deal right now. $35m and the butt of jokes vs. $135m lifetime and superstar status.

phoenix_bladen
09-16-2013, 11:22 AM
yea i wouldn't say smart either

it's more luck because he was born or had the abilities to play basketball the way he did

ok i'm sure making the NBA is really hard in itself so I wouldn't try to discredit him. He made it to the NBA and then started coasting.

if all of us had that talent that he had basketball wise I'm sure we would be better players than him and be a lot smarter.

Too bad I dont have that basketball skill nor will i ever have anyways.

therealwd27
09-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Lol @ people who think Beasley won't contribute to Heat this year. The hate for MIA drives some people to insanity

Heater4life
09-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Hes not smart. Its just dumb luck. Now I believe that this has the ability to change his career. He is 24 years old, is a talented basketball player and is surrounded by all types of dedicated role models from the front office on down. IF he buys in, Beasley can shine. Big IF.

Stinkyoutsider
09-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Beasley is smart because he played the system? But the question is, did he do this on purpose? That's what I want to know...

I can't imagine him being too happy leaving the Heat the first time but his stint with the Suns would be embarrasing for a player with his kind of talent?

If I was him though, I would have played and earned a big deal. When you have that kind of talent and you're in a league like the NBA, you have to have the confidence that you're a difference maker to a team. That you coming to their team means they can compete for the playoffs (and a title). By pulling this move, his confidence can't be too high.

RiLoc
09-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Michael Beasley is perhaps the smartest man to ever live. Word on the street is he beat Viswanathan Anand at chess last week. I mean, if I was just ballparking it, I'd say his strategic intellect rivals the historical legend of Zhuge Liang. Dude's brain's so wet it makes up for how dry his mouth feels when he's baked. And I think the real issue with the Beasley's return to Miami is that it intimidates Pat Riley, because Riley feels like out smarted at any moment by the Beas.

In all honesty though, I hope Michael Beasley does well with the Heat. Best of luck.