PDA

View Full Version : Do Players Need More Space?

jam
09-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Courtside tickets generate a ton of revenue for the top teams in the league, and having fans sit so close to the action creates a sense of intimacy and excitement that we rarely if ever see in other professional sports.

However, every single game, there is some minor or major mishap:

1. players crashing into sideline officials and announcers.

2. players diving onto and over spectators

3. players colliding with, and tripping over photogs directly under the basket.

4. occasional, yet highly dramatic verbal confrontations between fans and players.

Despite the enormous amount of money a team can charge for courtside tickets, shouldn't safety come first?

You would think that the quality of play would improve if players had just an extra 5 feet or so to try to chase down loose balls out of bounds without worrying about crashing into people seated just 2 or 3 feet from the sidelines.

Are team owners just too damn greedy to eliminate one or two rows of seating? Or, should we simply sit back and enjoy the occasional mosh-pit action when players and fans meet and collide?

FlashBolt
09-11-2013, 11:07 PM
I like it. I think it's great for the game and celebrities can all come to enjoy a game. If they do pay for courtside tickets, they have to sign a legal agreement anyways.

tredigs
09-12-2013, 12:43 AM
I think about it most games at one point or another, and I do think the game would be a more entertaining + safer product if there was 5 feet of cleared hardwood followed by another few feet of cushion. The dives would be awesome. But yeah, GL getting that past the owners.

PurpleLynch
09-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Idk why they do this,but it will be better for the game. Even if some dives from Shaq in the fans were awesome.

NYKnickFanatic
09-12-2013, 08:33 AM
They definitely do need more room for their safety, but it would never happen. $$$$$$$$

jam
09-12-2013, 08:31 PM
One possibility is to ban any seating, photogs or anyone else for that matter within 10 feet of the baseline/sidelines.

Yes, there's a revenue hit, but it could theoretically be made up for by adding extra skyboxes, with luxury amenities, exclusive meet and greets, etc.

And for god's sake, get the coaches off the f'ing court!

SugeKnight
09-12-2013, 09:38 PM
I thought this thread would be about making the court bigger, which after thinking about it makes some sense. Wider courts would give teams better spacing making it easier to drive and harder for teams to double in the post. Shooters like Steph could easily hit 3s 8 ft past the corner 3