PDA

View Full Version : 6th Annual PSD Player Rankings #4 Center In The NBA? (Volume: VI)

Mile High Champ
09-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Hey guys, It is that time of year again! Once again we kick of the PSD NBA Off-Season Player Rankings. This is the 6th year I have done this on PSD and it always brings some great discussion and debate. Please keep things civil and discuss who you feel is most fitting and deserving of being voted in each poll.

A lot has changed since last season. Lebron James and the Miami Heat are back to back NBA champions after an exciting 7 game series win over the Spurs. Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 5 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

Due to some people complaining that the rule was not written for the PG poll; in order to be eligible for these rankings, players must of played in 10 or more games last season. Thank you.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best

2013 Off-Season PSD C Rankings

1) Tim Duncan
2) Dwight Howard
3) Marc Gasol
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

2012 Off-Season PSD C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Andrew Bynum
3) Kevin Garnett
4) Marc Gasol
5) Tim Duncan
6) Tyson Chandler
7) Al Horford
8) Al Jefferson
9) Roy Hibbert
10) DeMarcus Cousins

2011 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Andrew Bynum
3) Tim Duncan
4) Andrew Bogut
5) Al Horford
6) Marc Gasol
7) Tyson Chandler
8) Joakim Noah
9) Nene
10) Al Jefferson

2010 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Andrew Bogut
4) Brook Lopez
5) Andrew Bynum
6) Marc Gasol
7) Joakim Noah
8) Al Horford
9) Al Jefferson
10) Chris Kaman

2009 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Shaquille O'Neal
5) Andrea Bargnani
6) Andris Biedrins
7) Emeka Okafor
8) Nene
9) Brook Lopez
10) Andrew Bynum

2008 Off-Season C Rankings:

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Andrew Bynum
5) Chris Kaman
6) Tyson Chandler
7) Shaquille O'Neal
8) Marcus Camby
9) Jermaine O'neal
10) Andrew Bogut

Shammyguy3
09-09-2013, 12:50 AM
Noah here

Hellcrooner
09-09-2013, 01:25 AM
Going with the French son of a tennis racket here.

Next year if they ****ing do what they can and need to do this could be topped 1 and 2 with the same surname.............and no, im not thinking lopez :D

Bruno
09-09-2013, 01:41 AM
i think Bynum is actually the guy here- but he's ineligible so i'd go Noah over Hibbert.

mrblisterdundee
09-09-2013, 02:31 AM
After looking at the stats from last season and the trajectories for the coming season, I actually ended up voting for Brook Lopez. I didn't really expect to do that, but I'm trying to be impartial.
He averaged a couple rebounds less than Joakim Noah, who also managed about twice as many defensive win shares as Lopez. But Lopez was drastically better offensively, providing nearly three times as many offensive win shares and contributing more overall to his team's wins.
Lopez definitely has to increase his rebounding and improve his defense significantly, but he outperformed the other guys on this list. DeMarcus Cousins and Chris Bosh are the next best on the list after Lopez, performance-wise, but Cousins' personality issues drop him a couple spots in my eyes. Bosh just didn't perform as well as Lopez, although he was one of the better centers last season. Lopez, meanwhile, has none of those personality issues, and at 24 years old, is still poised for some major growth.
Roy Hibbert dominated in the playoffs, but Lopez sported a 25 PER through the regular season and the playoffs. Hibbert will have to play all next season like he did in the playoffs before I put him ahead of Lopez.

Mile High Champ
09-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Get those votes in!

b@llhog24
09-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Lopez

kdspurman
09-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Between Noah & Hibbert for me, but I'll give the edge to Noah. Hibbert next, then it's sort of up in the air

ManningToTyree
09-09-2013, 09:54 AM
This is when it gets tough. Hibbert Noah and Lopez all have a case here. I'm leaning Hibbert.

nycericanguy
09-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Noah averaged 12 & 11, to go along with 4 assists per game from a center, 2 blocks and great defense.

Hibbert put up 12 & 8 and shot .448% which is atrocious for a C. I can't put him over Noah based on his playoffs alone.

I say Noah here. He was better at every facet of the game than Lopez last year outside of scoring.

I go

Noah
Lopez
Chandler/Hibbert

EDIT - forgot about Bosh, but it just feels weird comparing Bosh to true Centers.

jericho
09-09-2013, 11:05 AM
i think Bynum is actually the guy here- but he's ineligible so i'd go Noah over Hibbert.

Lmao how those Bynum go here? He didnt even play last yr at all.

D-Leethal
09-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Noah averaged 12 & 11, to go along with 4 assists per game from a center, 2 blocks and great defense.

Hibbert put up 12 & 8 and shot .448% which is atrocious for a C. I can't put him over Noah based on his playoffs alone.

I say Noah here. He was better at every facet of the game than Lopez last year outside of scoring.

I go

Noah
Lopez
Chandler/Hibbert

EDIT - forgot about Bosh, but it just feels weird comparing Bosh to true Centers.

Agreed through and through. Noah is the best defender and I think he is pretty damn underrated offensively. He was literally the playmaker for that squad last year with his high post passing. He has Lopez beat everywhere except scoring ability and Noah has the biggest intangible impact on the game out of arguably the entire list.

Bosh will probably get shafted for those reasons too, but I'm cool with that. He doesn't play like a C or make the type of impact a legitimate C makes on the game. He's a natural 4 and should be ranked as such.

Eagles4Lyfe
09-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Noah all day.

Chronz
09-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Hibbs got the and the o now

Ebbs
09-09-2013, 02:23 PM
I think several of these guys had better seasons than Bosh. But assuming I want the best overall player I think Bosh would be best to build around.

I Rock Shaqs
09-09-2013, 03:16 PM
After looking at the stats from last season and the trajectories for the coming season, I actually ended up voting for Brook Lopez. I didn't really expect to do that, but I'm trying to be impartial.
He averaged a couple rebounds less than Joakim Noah, who also managed about twice as many defensive win shares as Lopez. But Lopez was drastically better offensively, providing nearly three times as many offensive win shares and contributing more overall to his team's wins.
Lopez definitely has to increase his rebounding and improve his defense significantly, but he outperformed the other guys on this list. DeMarcus Cousins and Chris Bosh are the next best on the list after Lopez, performance-wise, but Cousins' personality issues drop him a couple spots in my eyes. Bosh just didn't perform as well as Lopez, although he was one of the better centers last season. Lopez, meanwhile, has none of those personality issues, and at 24 years old, is still poised for some major growth.
Roy Hibbert dominated in the playoffs, but Lopez sported a 25 PER through the regular season and the playoffs. Hibbert will have to play all next season like he did in the playoffs before I put him ahead of Lopez.

God that was a whole waste of the millions of words you just used to say nothing, Noah is better than whoever you voted for.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
09-09-2013, 04:03 PM
The underrating of Al Horford continues.

Kashmir13579
09-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Noah before Chandler is debatable. Where are the Knicks fans?

Kashmir13579
09-09-2013, 04:34 PM
I love Noah, but he is still a young version of Tyson Chandler with passing ability. Chandler is still the higher impact player.

xxplayerxx23
09-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Al Horford is the best player left
AL
Lopez
Noah
Chandler
Hibbert
Is the way id go

D-Leethal
09-09-2013, 04:49 PM
I love Noah, but he is still a young version of Tyson Chandler with passing ability. Chandler is still the higher impact player.

Noah is far more versatile offensively. He has passing ability, shooting ability, he can finish drives with both hands from the high post/elbow and has handles to the point where he has shown coast-to-coast dribbling ability and can start the break himself ala Bill Russell. He is significantly better than Tyson on offense despite Tyson's ability to throw down gimme dunks at a hyper-efficient rate. Shut down the pick and roll and you shut down Tyson Chandler completely on offense, he has no other way to even come close to hurting you.

D-Leethal
09-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Tyson's best asset on offense is his vertical spacing and the fact that he can grab lobs that nobody else in this league can grab. But his skillset is non existent outside of screen setting, rolling and dunking. Any team that can do an admirable job shutting down the pick and roll and Tyson hurts you way more than he helps. He can't bring the big out of the paint, he can't go at the big and force him to work/get him in foul trouble, dude doesn't even have a flip hook in his arsenal and has one of the worst touches around the rim I have seen. I honestly haven't seen any all-star caliber player in my life who is THAT reliant on dunking for his points.

nycericanguy
09-09-2013, 05:02 PM

And that makes a pretty damn good player, not to mention Noah can put the ball on the floor and even drive at times. Chandler is just too limited offensively, can't create, dribble or pass... Noah is a better help defender and shot blocker too.

His all around game really impressed me in the playoffs, there were times he was one of the best, if not the best player on the court.

Game 6 against BK - 14pts, 15 reb, 5 assists, 5 blocks

Followed that up with 24/14/2/6 in game 7.

I haven't seen Chandler do that in NY... not yet. I don't think he's the higher impact player, at least not come playoff time. If you replace Chandler with Noah I think NY would take a step up.

xxplayerxx23
09-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Forgot about bosh damn tough I see him as a 4

mrblisterdundee
09-09-2013, 06:51 PM
God that was a whole waste of the millions of words you just used to say nothing, Noah is better than whoever you voted for.

You're so right; you've made a very logical, well-thought out argument. :facepalm:

I Rock Shaqs
09-10-2013, 12:38 PM
You're so right; you've made a very logical, well-thought out argument. :facepalm:

And you didn't get the entire point of my post. Which wasn't very long or difficult to understand. :situps::situps:

mrblisterdundee
09-10-2013, 02:12 PM
And you didn't get the entire point of my post. Which wasn't very long or difficult to understand. :situps::situps:

Maybe it's difficult for someone of your mental acuity, but I simply took the time to explain logically why I chose Brook Lopez over other players, because I knew there would be knee-jerk reactions such as yours.