PDA

View Full Version : Top 15 Greatest Rim Protectors of All-Time

DreamShaker
09-08-2013, 02:26 AM
I want people to consider shot-blocking, intimidation, shot-changing, and every aspect of rim protection there is. My list in no order:

Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
Hakeem
Kareem
Mutombo
Mark Eaton
Tree Rollins
Tim Duncan (edited in)
Shaq
David Robinson
Dwight Howard
Marcus Camby
Patrick Ewing
Alonzo Mourning
Ben Wallace (edited in)

Who am I missing? Who am I overrating? What is your list?

Lakersfan2483
09-08-2013, 02:44 AM
I want people to consider shot-blocking, intimidation, shot-changing, and every aspect of rim protection there is. My list in no order:

Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
Hakeem
Kareem
Mutombo
Mark Eaton
Tree Rollins
Yao Ming
Shaq
David Robinson
Dwight Howard
Marcus Camby
Patrick Ewing
Alonzo Mourning
Manute Bol

Who am I missing? Who am I overrating? What is your list?

Good list. My list is very similar to yours, just a few differences in terms of certain players. Here's my list in no particular order:

Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
Shaquille O'neal
Hakeem Olajuwon
Kareem Abdul Jabbar
David Robinson
Moses Malone
Tim Duncan
Patrick Ewing
Dikembe Mutombo
Alonzo Mourning
Dwight Howard
Ben Wallace
Mark Eaton
Kevin Garnett

*The bolded players are the players that aren't on your list.

FlashBolt
09-08-2013, 03:05 AM
Nate Thurmond and Tim Duncan.. Tim Duncan should've been there without thinking.

arlubas
09-08-2013, 03:09 AM
People are gonna laugh but Shawn Bradley was a pretty good rim protector. Yeah he ended up on the receiving end a lot of times as well but a tree like him down on the post definitely had people thinking twice before penetrating back in his early years. Let's not forget that he had 6 >3BPG seasons and 2 more with a >2.5BPG average.

Not saying he should be on the above list but he definitely deserves to be in consideration at least.

Props for the Mark Eaton mention as well, people forget just how good of a defensive big he was.

DreamShaker
09-08-2013, 03:12 AM
Nate Thurmond and Tim Duncan.. Tim Duncan should've been there without thinking.

I thought about him and Nate and many others. I would probably put Tim over Yao if I was less biased. You are probably right, though.

DreamShaker
09-08-2013, 03:21 AM
People are gonna laugh but Shawn Bradley was a pretty good rim protector. Yeah he ended up on the receiving end a lot of times as well but a tree like him down on the post definitely had people thinking twice before penetrating back in his early years. Let's not forget that he had 6 >3BPG seasons and 2 more with a >2.5BPG average.

Not saying he should be on the above list but he definitely deserves to be in consideration at least.

Props for the Mark Eaton mention as well, people forget just how good of a defensive big he was.

I really considered putting him until I started thinking about him getting pushed around so much. But he lead the NBA is block% a ton of years, and is actually number one all-time for his career. That was a little shocking to me. Eaton was such a force. Even as an old dude when I started really watching in the early 90's he was a force. Now looking back, he was even better than my childhood memories captured.

FlashBolt
09-08-2013, 03:26 AM
I really considered putting him until I started thinking about him getting pushed around so much. But he lead the NBA is block% a ton of years, and is actually number one all-time for his career. That was a little shocking to me. Eaton was such a force. Even as an old dude when I started really watching in the early 90's he was a force. Now looking back, he was even better than my childhood memories captured.

Heh, trust me, I know what you mean. I want to say Ibaka but my conscience screams NO!

DreamShaker
09-08-2013, 03:32 AM
Good list. My list is very similar to yours, just a few differences in terms of certain players. Here's my list in no particular order:

Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
Shaquille O'neal
Hakeem Olajuwon
Kareem Abdul Jabbar
David Robinson
Moses Malone
Tim Duncan
Patrick Ewing
Dikembe Mutombo
Alonzo Mourning
Dwight Howard
Ben Wallace
Mark Eaton
Kevin Garnett

*The bolded players are the players that aren't on your list.

Good choices. Wallace is the one guy I had trouble leaving off. He probably deserves even more credit for his lack of size. Guys like Bol, Bradley, and Yao were just so tall it was hard shooting over them. But Wallace was about 6'7 or 6'8. I think I will edit my list to include him after thinking about it.

SugeKnight
09-08-2013, 03:32 AM
Jermaine Oneal

JWorthy42
09-08-2013, 03:35 AM
Theo Ratliff?

DreamShaker
09-08-2013, 03:49 AM
Heh, trust me, I know what you mean. I want to say Ibaka but my conscience screams NO!

You would get along with my wife. She is a HUGE Ibaka/Thunder fan. Only reason she started liking the Rockets was Harden came over, who trumps all other Thunder players. But Ibaka is one of her faves, even has an Ibaka shirt.

But I think we all tend to be biased towards what we see the most. Yao was no Hakeem, but really was a force. Those Rockets teams had him and Battier at above average defenders, along with old Mutombo, and still were a top 5 defense every year. I guess being 7'6 has it's advantages!

DreamShaker
09-08-2013, 03:53 AM
Theo Ratliff?

I feel dumb for forgetting him. Think he was better than Camby?

SugeKnight
09-08-2013, 04:59 AM

Hell no. Camby was on a couple levels higher than Ratliff.

Other rim protectors: Kenyon Martin, chandler, Noah

Weak side: wade, Lebron, josh smith, ibaka

Potential: Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond

SugeKnight
09-08-2013, 05:01 AM
Biyombo

FlashBolt
09-08-2013, 05:08 AM

Hell no. Camby was on a couple levels higher than Ratliff.

Other rim protectors: Kenyon Martin, chandler, Noah

Weak side: wade, Lebron, josh smith, ibaka

Potential: Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond

None of these guys mentioned are close to top 15. Noah and Chandler? No-no. We're talking about top 15 all time.

arlubas
09-08-2013, 05:10 AM
Yeah, due to age I my first memories from the L were from the 1990-91 season so I missed Eaton's peak years but I still remember him doing work down at the block.

Good choices. Wallace is the one guy I had trouble leaving off. He probably deserves even more credit for his lack of size. Guys like Bol, Bradley, and Yao were just so tall it was hard shooting over them. But Wallace was about 6'7 or 6'8. I think I will edit my list to include him after thinking about it.
The end result is what matters though. Don't get me wrong, I adore guys like Ben Wallace but in reality he wasn't as good at blocking shots as the top guys on your list, more of a top notch low post defender than rim protector really (not saying he didn't play that role great as well, just not on a Top15 ever kind of way).

archdevil84
09-08-2013, 06:01 AM
number 1 is ofcourse joel anthony

SugeKnight
09-08-2013, 06:47 AM
None of these guys mentioned are close to top 15. Noah and Chandler? No-no. We're talking about top 15 all time.

My bad

eso
09-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Mt Mutombo should be number 1, nobody wanted that massive finger waved at them...

5ass
09-08-2013, 08:39 AM
I bet Sanders will be there soon.

ewing
09-08-2013, 12:01 PM
People might laugh at this one but Chris Dudley was a very underrated defender. The guys offense was terrible but he played great position D, was strong a mule, blocked shots, and was a physical presence.

Hawkeye15
09-08-2013, 12:17 PM
People might laugh at this one but Chris Dudley was a very underrated defender. The guys offense was terrible but he played great position D, was strong a mule, blocked shots, and was a physical presence.

well, it wasn't his free throw shooting that got him on the floor...

TheMightyHumph
09-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Theo Ratliff?

When Theo was healthy, he was a great shotblocker.

George Johnson might belong in their also

DreamShaker
09-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Yeah, due to age I my first memories from the L were from the 1990-91 season so I missed Eaton's peak years but I still remember him doing work down at the block.

The end result is what matters though. Don't get me wrong, I adore guys like Ben Wallace but in reality he wasn't as good at blocking shots as the top guys on your list, more of a top notch low post defender than rim protector really (not saying he didn't play that role great as well, just not on a Top15 ever kind of way).

Good point.

JWorthy42
09-08-2013, 04:05 PM

In terms of solely shotblocking? (Ratliff lead the league in BPG 3 times)

Probably yes. But overall, I'd probably take Camby over Ratliff.

Chronz
09-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Camby shouldn't be on here, throw thurmond in there

Lakers + Giants
09-08-2013, 11:45 PM
for 5 minutes, give me mbenga.

TheMightyHumph
09-08-2013, 11:55 PM
for 5 minutes, give me mbenga.

But you actually can't pick the 5 minutes.

Lakers + Giants
09-09-2013, 12:12 AM
But you actually can't pick the 5 minutes.

Then I'd take Mutombo

Lakers + Giants
09-09-2013, 12:13 AM
Elmore smith belongs on this list as well imo.

bagwell368
09-09-2013, 06:22 AM
I didn't see Gilmore named. He'd be somewhere in the 12 -18 range IMO.

Parish, Caldwell Jones, and Bol have to be considered but none probably make the top 15.

NYKnickFanatic
09-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Roy Hibbert

ohreally
09-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Marvin Webster

asandhu23
09-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Dennis Rodman.

mrblisterdundee
09-09-2013, 11:40 PM
1. Bill Russell
2. Hakeem Olajuwon
3. Dikembe Mutombo
4. David Robinson
5. Wilt Chamberlain
6. Ben Wallace
7. Alonzo Mourning
8. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
9. Shaquille O'Neal
10. Dwight Howard
11. Tim Duncan
12. Patrick Ewing
13. Nate Thurmond
14. Marcus Camby
15. Mark Eaton

Ebbs
09-10-2013, 04:05 AM
Biyombo

Biyombo makes your all time rim protector list?

SugeKnight
09-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Biyombo makes your all time rim protector list?

it was a joke

ohreally
09-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Patrick Ewing, always disrespected.

mdm692
09-11-2013, 03:15 AM
Am I crazy for thinking Noah when he retires?

Heatcheck
09-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Am I crazy for thinking Noah when he retires?

Yes, yes you are