PDA

View Full Version : Will Payton have his jersey retired?

beasted86
09-07-2013, 08:06 PM
From what I understand the Sonics kept the banners and jerseys, but the history of the team is shared with the Thunder.

So where does this leave a guy like Gary Payton who would've had his jersey retired from their Sonics days? Would OKC hold a ceremony to retire a Sonics jersey?

Also what about others? Maybe Payton is the only guy I would consider a lock, but who knows if there are others that might have had consideration. Kemp? Allen? Ellis? Schrempf?

arlubas
09-08-2013, 02:44 AM
Payton himself has said that he will only accept a jersey retirement if it is held on a future Seattle team, out of respect to the fans of the city.

“It will be there sooner or later,” Payton said. “It could be years. If I’m 70 and they get a team, hey, so be it. It will be great just as long as it will go up in Seattle.”

“A lot of people want to see my jersey retired up there in those rafters which if it (an NBA franchise in Seattle) never comes back, I don’t think my jersey will ever get retired then,” said Payton.

“That’s just the way it goes. I hope it comes back and I think the Seattle fans deserve a basketball team.”

John Walls Era
09-08-2013, 02:48 AM
He said no to OKC when they offered.

FlashBolt
09-08-2013, 03:03 AM
Gary Payton is very humble. I was deeply irritated when Seattle moved. Great franchise, lots of heart and soul on that city. He should not get his jersey hung up at Chelseapeak.. No way, Seattle or no. Two completely different teams imo.

todu82
09-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Payton should have his # retired. Thing is the future Seattle team would have no relation whatsoever to the old Seattle team. I got to think Payton has to bite the bullet and get his # retired by the Thunder.

Big Zo
09-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Payton should have his # retired. Thing is the future Seattle team would have no relation whatsoever to the old Seattle team. I got to think Payton has to bite the bullet and get his # retired by the Thunder.

Doesn't matter. The fans that watched him, and rooted for him, didn't move to OKC.

king4day
09-08-2013, 11:15 AM
It's cool that the Thunder organization offered to retire his number but I'm glad he rejected it. He never played for OKC so why get retired in a city you never played ball in.

Chronz
09-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Honestly did not know any of this. GP is the man

SportsFanatic10
09-09-2013, 04:49 AM
that's pretty cool of GP, respect.

DallasTrilla23
09-09-2013, 11:41 PM
If it ain't done in Seattle, it won't mean anything. Idgaf if OKC shares the history with Seattle or not.

lamzoka
09-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Well what if OKC kept the Sonics name? Lets say they were known as the Oklahoma City SuperSonics. Would that make a difference?

I mean Brooklyn Nets is retiring JKidd's Jersey, but he never played actually played for BK.