PDA

View Full Version : What If There Was A Multi Billionaire NBA Player?

JNA17
09-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Just something I became curious about. What if there was an NBA in his early or mid 20s, that was a multi billionaire? Not only that, but this hypothetical player was also a top 5 player at the very least in the NBA.

The guy would have clearly made money elsewhere other than his NBA career. Maybe made great investments and got really really lucky, as well as being a very proficient business man. Maybe he became Co-owner of a very popular company that has taken off. Point is, the guy is so rich that even as an NBA player, he could buy the LA Lakers or New York Knicks 2 times over. But he continues to play as a professional basketball player anyway because of his love for the game and how talented he is.

How would you view that kind of player outside of his talents? How would both fans, coaches, and owners react to him when it comes to contract negotiations? Should he take much smaller NBA contracts because of his finances despite being a top 5 NBA player? How would it affect his team as a whole when it comes to team chemistry?

This is all not very likely at all but never the less I thought it would be an interesting question and was curious about other people's thoughts if this were to actually happen?

Chrisclover
09-07-2013, 11:50 AM
you will be bashed soon. Guys in this forum are not easy to please

JNA17
09-07-2013, 11:52 AM
you will be bashed soon. Guys in this forum are not easy to please

What happens, happens I guess :(.

Sportfan
09-07-2013, 11:57 AM
If I was a multi billionare there is no way I'm going to spend my life playing basketball.

Chrisclover
09-07-2013, 12:06 PM
no rich men will play as pros.they may donate some money to some famous franchise like Lakers, Celtics and get some jerseys with their own names

If I was a multi billionare there is no way I'm going to spend my life playing basketball.

Chrisclover
09-07-2013, 12:09 PM
maybe in a parallel universe?haha,there ,you are the billionnaire who fights for glory!
have a nice dream tonight~enjoy it

What happens, happens I guess :(.

JNA17
09-07-2013, 12:28 PM

Ok great. But the question IS NOT IF YOU WERE AN NBA PLAYER. The question is what if there was an NBA player in the league that was and continues to play because of his love for the game.

Hellcrooner
09-07-2013, 12:28 PM
you would need to be a posh son of a rich family.

Those kind of familys wont let the kid do something as mundane as playing basketball.

so, it wont happen.

JNA17
09-07-2013, 12:40 PM

Those kind of familys wont let the kid do something as mundane as playing basketball.

so, it wont happen.

How do you know that? What if the family were huge sports fans? What if the family was open minded? What if the parents are dead and the player inherited all of his family's fortune? Or what if just like I said in my examples that this player just made some really really good investments and got really really lucky.

Come on just humor me. XD

tredigs
09-07-2013, 12:42 PM

so, it wont happen.

Of course they would, why wouldn't they? As opposed to the high-flying lifestyle they want for their kid of sitting in a WalMart board room or watching them get drilled by D celebrities on camera? The fact of the matter is that none of these kids have been athletic or devoted enough to succeed on that level, and being born with a silver spoon affords those without the natural talent an easy road to escape to their hedge funds and island retreats.

That said, to answer your question JNA I suppose it would be somewhat of a constant story, but if the player was solid and worked hard he'd be applauded, and if he was mediocre and didn't... he wouldn't be in the league. I doubt fans would care very much, we already have players with 10's or 100's of millions playing in the league. Contract negotiations? I don't know, doubt they'd be far different.

Point is, the ultra rich rarely become great at sports. It takes far too much innate athleticism, devotion, luck, and willingness to be yelled at for the average elite athlete, let alone one that could so easily fall back on his money and family ties in business, etc.

JNA17
09-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Of course they would, why wouldn't they? As opposed to the high-flying lifestyle they want for their kid of sitting in a WalMart board room or watching them get drilled by D celebrities on camera? The fact of the matter is that none of these kids have been athletic or devoted enough to succeed on that level, and being born with a silver spoon affords those without the natural talent an easy road to escape to their hedge funds and island retreats.

That said, to answer your question JNA I suppose it would be somewhat of a constant story, but if the player was solid and worked hard he'd be applauded, and if he was mediocre and didn't... he wouldn't be in the league. I doubt fans would care very much, we already have players with 10's or 100's of millions playing in the league. Contract negotiations? I don't know, doubt they'd be far different.

Point is, the ultra rich rarely become great at sports. It takes far too much innate athleticism, devotion, luck, and willingness to be yelled at for the average elite athlete, let alone one that could so easily fall back on his money and family ties in business, etc.

Finally someone that answered the question XD.

But yeah I ask this because there are always stories with sports players that involve "X player came from a poor city and grew up in some gang or was born with some kind of handicap". It's practically a cliche story today. So I wondered how interesting it would be if there was a sports player who was as rich or richer than most owners in the NBA even still decides to play the game because of his love for it. And if he get any kind if discrimination for it.

tredigs
09-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Finally someone that answered the question XD.

But yeah I ask this because there are always stories with sports players that involve "X player came from a poor city and grew up in some gang or was born with some kind of handicap". It's practically a cliche story today. So I wondered how interesting it would be if there was a sports player who was as rich or richer than most owners in the NBA even still decides to play the game because of his love for it. And if he get any kind if discrimination for it.
The closest I can think of off the top of my head are athletes kids. But obviously they have an innate advantage being that they likely grew up from a young age with a strong tie/passion to sports, have access to top flight coaching (sometimes in house if it's their parents sport), and generally have the naturally elite athleticism.

RiceOnTheRun
09-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Well, if he's a top-5 player in the NBA, he would be a top-5 player in the world. So out of 7,000,000,000 people in the world, he would be in the 99.9999th percentile. Then, he would also need to be born into a billionaire family, which would also be around the .05% percent of people in the world as well. The chances of it happening are astronomically low, because of both cultural reasons like stated above and the fact that there are very few of both millionaires and superstar NBA players.

If it were to happen though, it would be interesting to see how contract negotiations would go. If it were a Lebron James-esque player willing to take the vet's minimum, along with another 2-3 superstars that would be pretty cool. If money was no object, I'm sure plenty of superstars wouldn't mind taking the minimum to put their teams in better situations.

tredigs
09-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Well, if he's a top-5 player in the NBA, he would be a top-5 player in the world. So out of 7,000,000,000 people in the world, he would be in the 99.9999th percentile. Then, he would also need to be born into a billionaire family, which would also be around the .05% percent of people in the world as well. The chances of it happening are astronomically low, because of both cultural reasons like stated above and the fact that there are very few of both millionaires and superstar NBA players.

If it were to happen though, it would be interesting to see how contract negotiations would go. If it were a Lebron James-esque player willing to take the vet's minimum, along with another 2-3 superstars that would be pretty cool. If money was no object, I'm sure plenty of superstars wouldn't mind taking the minimum to put their teams in better situations.
It would surprise me. There's no reason why LBJ couldn't play for 1 million a year as is.

RiceOnTheRun
09-07-2013, 01:44 PM
It would surprise me. There's no reason why LBJ couldn't play for 1 million a year as is.

True, he'd still make around 30m a year but it's much different than if he was making (or already had) billions. It would be around a 35% paycut overall for him (counting total earnings, not just salary) whereas it would be miniscule for a billionaire player.

Hellcrooner
09-07-2013, 02:20 PM
rich guys , if athletic enough end up doing something like Polo, Tennis,Horse riding, Golf or sea sports.

Thats it.

tredigs
09-07-2013, 02:44 PM
rich guys , if athletic enough end up doing something like Polo, Tennis,Horse riding, Golf or sea sports.

Thats it.
While limited to mostly rich people, sports like golf, horse riding, polo and sailing take very, very little athleticism in relation to the real sports (the ones with tens of millions of participants at young age that also take elite skill + athleticism to get paid to play). Incredible athletes don't go into sailing. Plenty of skill, but not plenty of the X factor which is athleticism. Tennis is a different story and is a solid mix of prestige + skill, but I don't know of any heiress children on the circuit... The Williams sisters grew up in Compton... I think Nadal had a fairly well off businessman father, but his uncle was also a professional footballer. Definitely had the genes.
There's certainly something to say about the hundred millionaire/billionaire kids taking up prestige leisure sports rather than the every-man's games, but the fields are MUCH, MUCH more vast and difficult to stage up in the real sports, and you won't get a free pass into the NBA, MLB, NHL, NFL, Premier League, etc like they do into Yale.

D_Rose1118
09-07-2013, 03:02 PM
you guys are not getting the point of the thread, he did not ask what are the odds of this happening, or if you were a multi billionaire.

in regards to the question i think if someone offers you 60 million it doesnt matter if you are multi billionaire, you still take the money for your great great grand kids sake, keep another 10 generations financially set
however it would be interesting to see if he would take the minimum for the sake of winning and imagine the positive PR as a result.

tredigs
09-07-2013, 03:03 PM
you guys are not getting the point of the thread, he did not ask what are the odds of this happening, or if you were a multi billionaire.

in regards to the question i think if someone offers you 60 million it doesnt matter if you are multi billionaire, you still take the money for your great great grand kids sake, keep another 10 generations financially set
however it would be interesting to see if he would take the minimum for the sake of winning and imagine the positive PR as a result.

Oh my B, no tangents allowed on PSD, sometimes I forget.

jrm2054
09-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Wouldn't he just pull a Jordan and buy the team he plays for and take the vet min to improve the team

John Walls Era
09-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Fine I'll humor him.

If he was good then I guess it doesn't matter. Fans would probably not care that much if he was good. Players might care, but who gives a ****, most of these players don't even know how to manage money. He would definitely not take a paycut in his prime, people want to maximize profits when they know they can get it.

carlthack
09-07-2013, 03:40 PM
They already are.

Hundreds of millions, billion, whats the difference? They're filthy rich, we can just leave it at that.

mike_noodles
09-07-2013, 03:46 PM
So I'm thinking he becomes an internet billionaire as that is a plausible scenario. Many people have been rich by 25 through that kind of stuff. If the player is truly passionate about basketball, I'm sure he would do everything he could to play. It's all about the competitive fire, if they have it, they will play.

Not sure it makes a difference to teammates and coaches, I think they would treat him the same as anyone else. For example, MJ was crazy rich but I don't think he was treated differently by teammates and coaches (mostly assumption).

But take guys like Mark Cuban or Richard Branson as examples. Two very wealthy men that do the things they love to do. I'm sure if either of them had the talent to play in a professional sports league, they would do it.

Edit: And I'm sure a GM would try to take advantage of his already existing financial situation, but any half decent agent would squash that in a second.

And the fans probably wouldn't care. What's the difference between a guy making 8 million per year and a guy that has a billion in the bank? Nothing to me, I'll never have as much money as either and can't relate to either just the same.

FlashBolt
09-07-2013, 04:37 PM
....People who love basketball will play regardless of the money. If you told MJ to play right now, he would if he could..

MrfadeawayJB
09-07-2013, 09:23 PM
What kind of question is this? I never see this happening considering most players in the league come from low income families growing up.

THE MTL
09-07-2013, 11:41 PM
Well if he is a billionaire then he clearly knows finances and what he's worth. No way he takes minimum contracts just to play basketball where he's risking injury along with countless hours of training.