PDA

View Full Version : Will the league veto Heat's trades for BASKETBALL reason ,like Stern did 2 years ago?

Chrisclover
09-05-2013, 09:38 PM
As a Kobe fan ,i was very heart-broken when i saw black Mamba got horribly injured just because he had to torture himself to gain his beloved Lakers a playoff spot.His supposed -to-super team didnt meet the huge expectation all over the globe .
We all agree that injuries were a major factor ,which plagued all over the purple-gold franchise ,from the star-stacked starting 5, to their solid back-ups such as Jamison, Hill,to their mediocre role players like Blake, Meeks. This team was like cursed :(
Also, another reason was the chemistry .Nash didnt wield his magic wand effectively for a couple of causes--injuries, coach.
I really think if Nash was well-oiled ,Lakers couldn't be so humiliated, at least 5th seed .
All these craps just make me wonder, if CP3-Gasol deal wasn't vetoed, it would be a brand new version of history.CP3 could revitalize the bench and would help keep Howard!:eyebrow:
Stern was a autocrat !!!What was BASKETBALL reason?ok, now i get it , it was , to avoid the polarization so that the games could be unpredictable and fun to watch ,which could increase the overall NBA popularity worldwide .Anyway ,it was for business in deed.Its not a 100% bad thing actually .
Now, to some extent ,Heat is coming to the similar situation ,in which they make the finals for 3 straight years and won back-to-back championships.One forever-argued thing is Bosh's status and recently Wade is in the same dilemma .if Heat front office triggers trades,it has its reasons.Although Big 3's contracts are ending soon , it is always better to gain something in case they leave .
The problem is , will the league use the BASKETBALL thing to stop them ?
Discuss

kjoke
09-05-2013, 09:43 PM
I have a hunch that this poster is that one feller i believe his name was danewguy or something like that

rex.reyesiii
09-05-2013, 09:46 PM
If a Joel Anthony / Dwight Howard swap. Then yes maybe. :D

:hide:

Chrisclover
09-05-2013, 09:54 PM
nope

I have a hunch that this poster is that one feller i believe his name was danewguy or something like that

ntd
09-05-2013, 09:57 PM
I tried to read your post but its formatted so terribly and so scatterbrain I gave up. The thread is supposed to be about the heat and all I see is stuff about the Lakers.

Chrisclover
09-05-2013, 10:02 PM
i am making comparison.Speaking much about lakers is to emphasize the harm of Stern's veto

I tried to read your post but its formatted so terribly and so scatterbrain I gave up. The thread is supposed to be about the heat and all I see is stuff about the Lakers.

JWorthy42
09-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Stern can't "veto" any trade involving the Heat, because he does not own them. In 2011, the Hornets were under the ownership of the league (Stern), so essentially he acted as an owner.

The trade was stopped by David Stern the owner, not David Stern the NBA commissioner.

Although it is still very fishy, considering the NOLA GM was given the green-light to pull the trigger on the trade. I am still bitter about it, won't lie.

Sactown
09-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Stern was the owner of the hornets and wasn't in favor of losing Cp3 and adding salary cap... get over it..

Raps18-19 Champ
09-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Stern can't "veto" any trade involving the Heat, because he does not own them. In 2011, the Hornets were under the ownership of the league (Stern), so essentially he acted as an owner.

The trade was stopped by David Stern the owner, not David Stern the NBA commissioner.

Although it is still very fishy, considering the NOLA GM was given the green-light to pull the trigger on the trade. I am still bitter about it, won't lie.

Weren't the NOLA GMs suppose to report to the owners before making any trades?

JerseyPalahniuk
09-05-2013, 11:19 PM
You can have whatever opinion you want of the NOLA veto but why don't people realize that Stern doesn't have authority to veto any other player trades [he's repeated that in several interviews]?!

Seriously, this comes up every month. It was a funny joke the first 10 times I heard..

p.s. Doc Rivers thing is different (trading a Coach...)

TheMightyHumph
09-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Weren't the NOLA GMs suppose to report to the owners before making any trades?

At the time the trade was cancelled, the NBA (meaning the other 29 owners) owned the (then Hornets) Pelicans, and decided the trade wasn't advantageous to the Pelicans, nor the rest of the NBA teams.

Stern was just the face the owners chose to make the announcement.

Remember, the goal of the NBA owners was to improve New Orleans, not the Lakers.

Laker Legend42
09-06-2013, 12:59 AM
I didn't like it but the main reason stearn could veto that trade was because the nba had control of that franchise. When this happened the leauge/David stearn owned the hornets.

RiceOnTheRun
09-06-2013, 01:12 AM
It was also a terrible trade for NOLA and they ended up getting a better one from the Clippers.

Big Zo
09-06-2013, 01:56 AM
Stern just retired. I'm sure Adam Silver will let him veto trades whenever he wants, though. : /

naps
09-06-2013, 03:48 AM
Lakers sucked and it's not Sterns fault. Stern was the owner of the team and he could veto any trade he wanted involving CP3 at that time. Heat is the best team in the league. Play them on the court if you want to beat them instead of baiting here in an internet forum. Life ain't fun for you, is it?

Goose17
09-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Stern was the owner of the hornets and wasn't in favor of losing Cp3 and adding salary cap... get over it..

This^

PhillyFaninLA
09-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Waaaaaaas the Lakers did not make the playoff and the league is rigged so lets not let other teams follow the rules and be and stay good.

I suspect the TC's screen name is ironic.

SportsFanatic10
09-06-2013, 08:35 PM
As a Kobe fan ,i was very heart-broken when i saw black Mamba got horribly injured just because he had to torture himself to gain his beloved Lakers a playoff spot.His supposed -to-super team didnt meet the huge expectation all over the globe .
We all agree that injuries were a major factor ,which plagued all over the purple-gold franchise ,from the star-stacked starting 5, to their solid back-ups such as Jamison, Hill,to their mediocre role players like Blake, Meeks. This team was like cursed :(
Also, another reason was the chemistry .Nash didnt wield his magic wand effectively for a couple of causes--injuries, coach.
I really think if Nash was well-oiled ,Lakers couldn't be so humiliated, at least 5th seed .
All these craps just make me wonder, if CP3-Gasol deal wasn't vetoed, it would be a brand new version of history.CP3 could revitalize the bench and would help keep Howard!:eyebrow:
Stern was a autocrat !!!What was BASKETBALL reason?ok, now i get it , it was , to avoid the polarization so that the games could be unpredictable and fun to watch ,which could increase the overall NBA popularity worldwide .Anyway ,it was for business in deed.Its not a 100% bad thing actually .
Now, to some extent ,Heat is coming to the similar situation ,in which they make the finals for 3 straight years and won back-to-back championships.One forever-argued thing is Bosh's status and recently Wade is in the same dilemma .if Heat front office triggers trades,it has its reasons.Although Big 3's contracts are ending soon , it is always better to gain something in case they leave .
The problem is , will the league use the BASKETBALL thing to stop them ?
Discuss

lol none of this makes any sense.

Guppyfighter
09-06-2013, 08:37 PM

All the owners partially owned the Hornets. 27/30 didn't want the trade to happen because it was an awful ****ing trade for the Hornets and not fair because of how lopsided it was for the Lakers.

pebloemer
09-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Is there such a thing as a "run on" thread.

Sorry OP, but your train of thought lacks focus to create a quality discussion.

You are angry about a veto'd trade from a couple of years ago and are trying to make a comparison to a hypothetical situation of "what if Miami trades Bosh and Wade."

- your hypothetical is unsubstantiated (there is no evidence that the Heat would ever do this and even in the hypothetical you make no effort to even state whether the Heat receive sensible value in return).
- your comparison of a low market, league owned team to a big market, privately owned, championship team doesn't make sense in the economics of the NBA
- your recollection of history misses key variables

Which of these topics would you want people to discuss?

The Flash
09-06-2013, 09:33 PM
I like the fact that Nash was not "oiled" enough.

HoodedSB
09-07-2013, 03:39 PM
The owners voted, it wasn't stern, he was just the guy who announced it. How so many people still don't get this is mind boggling.