PDA

View Full Version : What team makes a bigger jump next season?

DitchDat
09-05-2013, 05:06 AM
On my blog I am discussing 7 teams that I believe will make a leap from 2012-2013. (more wins, a deeper team for the playoffs, jump to contender status)

I have six teams in place, but I am stuck on what team should be the seventh team:

Sacramento Kings: sure,they lost Tyreke, but they add four (more than) serviceable players (Ben McLemore, Carl Landry, Luc Richard Mbah A Moute, Greivis Vasquez) to a team that already included DMC, Isaiah Thomas, Chuck Hayes, Marcus Thornton, Jason Thompson and Jimmer Fredette. They were 28-54 last season.

Golden State Warriors: They added Iguodala and some pieces (Toney Douglas, Jermaine O'Neal, Marreese Speights), but they lost Jarrett Jack and Carl Landry (and Rush, Jefferson, Biedrins). They made it to the Second Round last season. Will they be better or the same? Lee, Curry, Thompson, Barnes, Bogut all remain on the roster.

Cleveland Cavaliers: Another No. 1 pick in Bennett, plus Bynum, Earl Clark and Jarrett Jack. Casspi and Speights were lost, but Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters, Tristan Thompson, Anderson Varejao (who missed much of last season) and Tyler Zeller all reamin on the roster. They were 24-58 last season.

Who will make the biggest jump compared to last year?
Am I missing some team? (the other six teams I believe will make a jump are the Clippers/Pacers/Hornets/Rockets/Timberwolves/Nets, so no need to mention them).

PurpleLynch
09-05-2013, 05:30 AM
I voted before looking at the post,anyway I choose the Warriors. If Curry is healthy,they can do serious damage in the PO.

monty77
09-05-2013, 06:55 AM
I think it will be Chicago Bulls thanks to Rose. I don't think either of those teams you mentioned will win 15 games more than last season and it is very possible that Bulls do it. Just look the two seasons before DR1 injury.

Besides, they have signed Dunlevy and they have Jimmy Butler, whose ceiling is very high. I bet they will reach 60 victories next year and they will be fighting for first spot in the regular season without any doubt. They should keep focussed on stay healty for playoffs, though.

Maybe Warrions win 8-10 games more than last season after signing Iggy and given they have young players progressing. Maybe Pistons also win 8-10 more games because they have a young big men such as Drummons and Monroe and have signed Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings (this team have a lot of talent but I have doubts about if this players will fit together). But none of them will reach a higher improvement than Bulls.

There are another teams such as Kings, Orlando, Wizards and Cavs which will reach a better record than last season but I don't expect a big jump from none. They are going to reach playoffs sooner or later but they will do it bit by bit.

Gators123
09-05-2013, 08:31 AM
The Pistons probably improved at every position this year.

Jennings > Knight
Billups?/KCP? > Singler (at SG)
Smith > Prince
Monroe > Maxiell
Drummond > Monroe (at C)

DitchDat
09-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Bulls is another good one. But I don't trust boozer and deng, and while I like the addition of dunleavy, I don't really like their reserves considering that thibs Barely plays young guys. But I might write about them now.

The pistons should be entertaining to watch, but I don't think there's much "winning" basketball there

DitchDat
09-05-2013, 08:53 AM
I like their moves and I look forward to watching them play, but do you think there Will be that big of a jump?

selassi3
09-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Toronto

Lowry/Augustine/Buycks
Derozan/Ross
Rudy Gay/Fields/Novak
Amir/Hansborough/Acy
Valanciunas/Daye/Gray

Hawkeye15
09-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Minnesota simply due to health and added outside shooting. 31 wins last year, they could easily win 15-18 more games this year, and that is without improvement from Rubio, Williams, Love, or any of their young players.

JasonJohnHorn
09-05-2013, 10:02 AM
I believe that the Pelicans and Pistons will have the biggest turnaround.

The Pelicans will have a healthy Gordan and be adding Holiday and Evans. In the front court they have Davis who will be among the best at his position and Anderson, who can play either forward spot and is the best stretch 4 behind Love.

The C spot is a question for them, but I expect huge improvements.

The Pistons will see Durmmond get more minutes, and Monroe and Smith filling out a great back court. They picked up a great SG in the draft AND brought an amazing shooter over from Europe. The big question is Jennings and how he will do as a pass-first point guard. But there are some significant roster upgrades there.

JasonJohnHorn
09-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Minnesota simply due to health and added outside shooting. 31 wins last year, they could easily win 15-18 more games this year, and that is without improvement from Rubio, Williams, Love, or any of their young players.

This is a great answer. With Love and Rubio healthy all season and Rubio improving his game, and adding a great shooter like Martin... I do expect a playoff appearance and with a coach as good as Adleman, I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the second round this year depending on who they draw in the first round.

EL_MACHETE
09-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Pistons
Wizards
T-Wolves
Kings

nycericanguy
09-05-2013, 10:29 AM
This is a great answer. With Love and Rubio healthy all season and Rubio improving his game, and adding a great shooter like Martin... I do expect a playoff appearance and with a coach as good as Adleman, I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the second round this year depending on who they draw in the first round.

When has that ever happened though?

Last 2 years Rubio has played 98 games, and Love just 73. Crazy but even Amare has played more games than Love over the past 2, 3, 4, and 5 years.

Love has a lot of pressure on him this year to not only stay healthy, but to at least be in the conversation for the playoffs. I know there are a lot of circumstances around it, but Love's career record is horrific, like historically bad.

Anyway I say the Cavs, and I say the Warriors could actually regress, I'm not betting on Curry playing 78 games again. And they lost some real good played to get Iggy. I wasn't a big fan of that trade.

Hawkeye15
09-05-2013, 11:45 AM
When has that ever happened though?

Last 2 years Rubio has played 98 games, and Love just 73. Crazy but even Amare has played more games than Love over the past 2, 3, 4, and 5 years.

Love has a lot of pressure on him this year to not only stay healthy, but to at least be in the conversation for the playoffs. I know there are a lot of circumstances around it, but Love's career record is horrific, like historically bad.

Anyway I say the Cavs, and I say the Warriors could actually regress, I'm not betting on Curry playing 78 games again. And they lost some real good played to get Iggy. I wasn't a big fan of that trade.

That was Rubio's first injury of his 7 year professional career, just happened to come in the last 1/3 of season one, and made him miss the first 1/3 of season 2. He isn't an issue on that front.

Love, however, IS. He has a lot to prove this season. If he can't play 70 games and be healthy for a stretch run at the playoffs, and for the playoffs if that happens, I question as to whether he will ever be a franchise type guy, or if his body simply needs to be put in a reduced role to thrive.

Hawkeye15
09-05-2013, 11:49 AM
how are the Warriors a good answer btw? Look at their point differential last season. They overachieved in the win column. Does anyone expect more than 50-51 wins? That would be less than a 10 game improvement, when there are teams that could easily see that to choose from instead.

Hawkeye15
09-05-2013, 11:50 AM
I hated the Smith signing for the Pistons, but at the very least, even though that team has meshing/position battles that don't make sense up front, they have talent, and could win a decent amount of games just because of that.

Stinkyoutsider
09-05-2013, 12:32 PM
It's a tough question but it might be the Cavs if Bynum can turn back the clock and be what he used to be?

I'm going with the Pistons this time, especially if Drummond shows some offensive potential. Smith can play both forward spots and should be able to match lineups with a lot of their opponets this year. They can play big and also change to a small lineup if needed.

Really, I would like the Bulls to make the leap but management seems like they don't want to make the tough decisions (get rid of Boozer, trade for Aldridge). The Bulls are probably happy as long as Derrick Rose is happy with the team...

PacersForLife
09-05-2013, 10:14 PM
I would say out of the teams listed that the Cavs will make the biggest jump. The Warriors will probably be better, but I see the Cavs going from a bottom feeder to being a legit playoff team if healthy.

RiceOnTheRun
09-06-2013, 01:22 AM
I take into account where each team was before making the jump as well. It's pretty much inarguable that the Warriors will probably be the best team out of the three, but compared to last year, I think the Cavs get much much better.

They were a 24 win team last season, and I see them sneaking up to at least 40 this season. Low 40s most likely, but they could win a few more surprise games. Meanwhile, I think Golden State becomes a mid-50 win team from 47 last year. It's a definite improvement, but not as drastic as Cleveland's potential.

JEDean89
09-06-2013, 01:57 AM
I honestly think the Wizards are gonna make a big leap into the playoffs. John Wall averaged 22, 8 and 5 and 24 7 and 5 in April and May. Those are superstar numbers, on par with Russell Westbrook. If he stays healthy, he'll be added to that list of elite PG's. On top of that Beal is going to be good, I think he can be a star and Otto Porter will probably be solid. On top of that Okafor/Nene is a nice frontcourt, and they still have young guys like Webster, Singleton, Vessely who can still develop into nice roll players. They got soooo lucky getting the 3rd pick as the 8th seed, but they have a nice foundation. I can't stress how good Wall can be. I still think he has the highest ceiling of any PG in the game and has a Chance to be the best.

Cavs I think struggle this year. If Bynum can't stay healthy, then who steps up big? They are going to need multiple young guys to turn into fringe allstars. Dion Waiters and Thompson specifically. I think they can be good, but I have them missing the playoffs this year.

Warriors will be good but I don't think they will win too many more games. Their ultimate success relies on the development of young guys turning into fringe allstars and Bogut remaining healthy. 52 wins is a 5 game increase, I expect the Wizards to win at least 13 games more next year.

The Kings are probably going to be awful and if they're lucky, Cousins will grow up, McLemore will be a steal and they can find a few gems among their current players. Still, I think they need a Marcus Smart to really make a big leap. 31-32 wins tops imo.

Minnesota will probably have a 10+ win increase, especially if they can keep Love/Rubio healthy and find a role for Derrick Williams. Shabbaz has Michael Beasley written all over him, I don't see him doing anything in this league. Still, their core and FA's should make them a 7th 8th seed.

New Orleans should win at least 10 more games next year too. I think they messed up, they should have tanked another year for Joel Embiid or Wiggins or Parker or Smart or any of the amazing prospects and drafted Mclemore in this last draft. McLemore/Davis could be a future and pair that with some of these crazy prospects and you have a glorious core. I don't like Reke, Holiday and Gordon all in the backcourt, but I think a Holiday/Reke backcourt could be nice and if they can move Gordon for anything, they will be in better shape. They still need a C and a SF, I like Davis at the PF.

BudGrant
09-06-2013, 02:11 AM
Sorta off-topic... not really tho. Not worth starting a new thread, but: How do you guys think the Bucks will fare next year? Almost a completely new (and in my opinion) much better squad. Unfortunately, they are in a tough tough tough division.

RipCity32
09-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Sorta off-topic... not really tho. Not worth starting a new thread, but: How do you guys think the Bucks will fare next year? Almost a completely new (and in my opinion) much better squad. Unfortunately, they are in a tough tough tough division.

Why do you think the Bucks have a better squad?

Hawkeye15
09-06-2013, 10:02 AM

They will struggle to win 30 games imo

BudGrant
09-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Why do you think the Bucks have a better squad?

The Bucks getting rid of Ellis and Jennings in exchange for Knight/Mayo already makes this squad better by acquiring two team players who also don't seem to mind being in MKE. Players like them, as well as Sanders/Henson (who both love being here) makes a nice core to build upon in the future. But, what I think really separates this team from last year is an upgrade in our bench with players like Ridnour and Neal. It will also be interesting to see what Larry Drew can do with this ball club. I, by NO means, am saying the Bucks will be a force. But I believe they should be in better shape than their sub-500 eighth seed results from last season.

flea
09-06-2013, 11:30 AM
I think the only right answer is a team from the East, because wins in the West are going to be very hard to come by. Teams like the Pelicans and Kings could (should?) take steps forward but they won't be as handsomely rewarded as teams in the East. I see the Wizards and Cavs making the biggest jumps.

nycericanguy
09-06-2013, 11:48 AM
The Bucks getting rid of Ellis and Jennings in exchange for Knight/Mayo already makes this squad better by acquiring two team players who also don't seem to mind being in MKE. Players like them, as well as Sanders/Henson (who both love being here) makes a nice core to build upon in the future. But, what I think really separates this team from last year is an upgrade in our bench with players like Ridnour and Neal. It will also be interesting to see what Larry Drew can do with this ball club. I, by NO means, am saying the Bucks will be a force. But I believe they should be in better shape than their sub-500 eighth seed results from last season.

I dunno, I mean Mayo got $8m from MIL no? DAL offered him $4m... money looks like it was Mayo's biggest factor, and Knight had no say in going there. Not saying those guys DON'T want to be there, but I think Mayo would have gone anywhere that paid him. He got more than guys like Kmart, JR, Reddick...or any other SG that signed this offseason. It was an overpay.

I have them at around 35 wins... I don't really think they got better. Too many small guards everywhere... MIL seems to always go for small, offense only guards. Giving up Harris for 2 months of Reddick was a horrible move too.

DDynO
09-06-2013, 12:05 PM
The Wizards should be a problem next season. I also have to go with the Cavaliers, depending on Bynum's health.

astonmartin10
09-06-2013, 02:31 PM
I think Pistons improve the most.