PDA

View Full Version : Great idea for the D-League

Kushed
09-04-2013, 10:03 PM
The D-League. The league no one gives a rats *** about.

Well I had an idea to change that. An idea to bring exposure to the league.

Lets say that players would have the option of either attending college or entering the NBA draft straight out of high school. If they decided to enter the NBA draft, they still wouldn't be eligible to play in the NBA. They'd have to play on the affiliate D-League team of the NBA team that drafted them.

There are a few reasons why this would be appealing to high school kids. First off, you get money in your pocket right away. Secondly, you'd be playing against the next best competition the world has to offer (probably). You'd get coaching from people who are trying to develop you for the next level which not every college focuses on.

This would also draw a ton of interest from fans who are wanting to see how their players are developing. I have no idea who is even on my d-league team right now but I'd sure as hell be interested if we drafted some prodigy straight out of high school.

I just thought of this and slapped it on paper so its not very well organized but curious as to what you guys thought and feel free to add any suggestions.

DreamShaker
09-04-2013, 10:14 PM
It would be more interesting, no doubt. But the NBA is invested in college ball and would not allow it.I agree it would be interesting.

Beltrans Mole
09-04-2013, 10:34 PM
It's an interesting concept, piggybacking off of the farm system for MLB teams. However, it would be hard to make that switch overnight. NBA prodigies are highly unlikely to be thrilled about playing an inferior year, even if it's for a small amount of time. The Wiggins and LBJ's of the world have so much attention from a young age, and once they are drafted they are expected to make a big impact on the their team.

Hellcrooner
09-04-2013, 11:58 PM

Lets say that players would have the option of either attending college or entering the NBA draft straight out of high school. If they decided to enter the NBA draft, they still wouldn't be eligible to play in the NBA. They'd have to play on the affiliate D-League team of the NBA team that drafted them.

There are a few reasons why this would be appealing to high school kids. First off, you get money in your pocket right away. Secondly, you'd be playing against the next best competition the world has to offer (probably). You'd get coaching from people who are trying to develop you for the next level which not every college focuses on.

This would also draw a ton of interest from fans who are wanting to see how their players are developing. I have no idea who is even on my d-league team right now but I'd sure as hell be interested if we drafted some prodigy straight out of high school.

I just thought of this and slapped it on paper so its not very well organized but curious as to what you guys thought and feel free to add any suggestions.

NOT EVEN CLOSe

gwrighter
09-05-2013, 12:19 AM
Sports are just as much about hype as they are about actual performance. The NCAA is the best place to garner that hype in North America. If great high school prospects want money and attention they can always go to Europe like Brandon Jennings did and get paid + exposure.

Also, some of the best coaches in the game coach at the collegiate level so getting in with those guys can definitely help player development + exposure.

Besides, a top 20 HS prospect(2009) called Latavious Williams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latavious_Williams) did just that & he ended up being a nobody.

MrfadeawayJB
09-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Sports are just as much about hype as they are about actual performance. The NCAA is the best place to garner that hype in North America. If great high school prospects want money and attention they can always go to Europe like Brandon Jennings did and get paid + exposure.

Also, some of the best coaches in the game coach at the collegiate level so getting in with those guys can definitely help player development + exposure.

Besides, a top 20 HS prospect(2009) called Latavious Williams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latavious_Williams) did just that & he ended up being a nobody.

Yep pretty much this. They are better off either

A) going to school 1 year (free education) , then entering the NBA draft

B) going overseas (where the real money is at) and playing very good competition there

scissors
09-05-2013, 03:50 PM
NOT EVEN CLOSe

R U suggesting that NCAA is better competition than the D-League?

Or are you saying overseas ball is better.

Because I think in the context of this thread Euroball doesn't matter because the USA kids aren't doing that instead of college. I do think the USA kids would go for this D-League thing though.

2-ONE-5
09-05-2013, 04:30 PM

We actually had a similar discussion in the Sixers forum like 2 weeks ago.

for starters the D-League does not need exposure. Minor league baseball and hockey dont have any either however minor league baseball is very family friendly in small towns but they have the benefit of being played in the summer.

Also not every NBA team has their own affiliate in the D-League and being around a bunch of players who have been cut 10 times or will never make the league is not good for an incoming top prospect. You have a better chance of devloping and learning the game and maturing by playing for a Coach K, Roy Williams, Calapari, Self, etc anyway.

2-ONE-5
09-05-2013, 04:31 PM
R U suggesting that NCAA is better competition than the D-League?

Or are you saying overseas ball is better.

Because I think in the context of this thread Euroball doesn't matter because the USA kids aren't doing that instead of college. I do think the USA kids would go for this D-League thing though.

yes NCAA is better competition than the D league.

Hellcrooner
09-06-2013, 01:02 AM
NBA > EUROLEAGUE > SPANISH/GREEK/TURKISH/ITALIAN national leagues > former yougoslav countries,League> Ncaa> Other european national leagues>South America League> Australia League> Korean League > NBDL > Chinese league>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>British League :D

scissors
09-06-2013, 11:14 AM
yes NCAA is better competition than the D league.

Wrong. about 40 of the best players from the NCAA end up in the NBA. All the rest of them go to D league or Europe. Outside of a couple of teams stacked with NBA talent NBDL teams would destroy NCAA teams.

flea
09-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Wrong. about 40 of the best players from the NCAA end up in the NBA. All the rest of them go to D league or Europe. Outside of a couple of teams stacked with NBA talent NBDL teams would destroy NCAA teams.

Basketball isn't solely about talent level. Why do you think Kevin Durant's Texas team lost in the 2nd round of the tourny? Because basketball is a team sport. I understand the NBA and ESPN tries its hardest to pretend that's not the case but if you're a fan of the team sport of basketball the NCAA version is a much better product than the NBA and certainly more competitive.

IndyRealist
09-06-2013, 11:45 AM
The NBA uses the NCAA as free scouting, separating the NBA quality players from guys who only look good playing against subpar high schoolers. Then they can watch these guys play on video instead of having to fly scouts all around the country to watch them.

Any increase in revenue the D-League would get would pale in comparison the the amount they'd have to spend on scouting high schools. The NCAA makes money because of brand loyalty built through decades of alumni. The D-League would never approach that.

2-ONE-5
09-06-2013, 01:26 PM

i disagree. for example i bet this years Duke and KY teams would be two of the better teams in the league. the league has tons of washed up players or guys who have no shot at the NBA but have no ther skills to put to use. Just a handful who are actually down there to develop some bcuz theres no roster room for them.

imagesrdecievin
09-06-2013, 01:34 PM
I think a good way that helps two kill 2 birds is to enact a rule where if a player goes to college they can't enter the NBA or D-League for two years after that. If they want to forgo college they can sign up for the D-League and compete there for a year before being draft eligible.