PDA

View Full Version : Chris Mullin to Sac

sacgiants1213
09-04-2013, 03:01 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9634116/chris-mullin-join-sacramento-kings-front-office

Chris Mullin is joining the Sacramento Kings' front office, according to sources familiar with the team's plans.

Sources say that Mullin has been recruited by the Kings to expand upon his previous senior advisory role in support of new general manager Pete D'Alessandro and majority owner Vivek Ranadive.

D'Alessandro broke into NBA management under Mullin when the Hall of Famer was running the Golden State Warriors' basketball operations from 2004-09, and he has been using Mullin's input on personnel moves since succeeding longtime Kings personnel boss Geoff Petrie in June. Ranadive, meanwhile, was a minority owner of the Warriors before emerging this past spring as the head of a consortium that won the battle with Chris Hansen's group in Seattle to buy the Kings from the Maloof family and keep the franchise in Sacramento.

When Ranadive hired D'Alessandro, he credited Mullin's strong recommendation as a key factor, saying: "[Mullin] told me Pete's the smartest guy out there."

Mullin had been an NBA analyst for ESPN and ESPN Radio since the 2010-11 season. The two-time Olympic gold medalist left the Warriors at the end of the 2008-09 season.

Ranadive, D'Alessandro, Mullin, Malone, Carl Landry.

Sounds like the Kings won't stop taking your people anytime soon.

MackShock
09-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Uh ohhh

Goose17
09-04-2013, 03:52 PM
It sucks, but it's not a big deal really.

Malone is the one we'll miss most imo, but even then it's not like we can't thrive without him.

MackShock
09-04-2013, 06:07 PM
whos gonna draw up the plays?

Goose17
09-04-2013, 06:16 PM
whos gonna draw up the plays?

Scalabrine bro.

MackShock
09-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Scalabrine bro.

say goodbye to that playoffs lol

sacgiants1213
09-05-2013, 01:34 AM
say goodbye to that playoffs lol

Your sig will be giving me nightmares for eternity. Damn you!

bigmac8675
09-05-2013, 03:14 AM
****ing Kings... lol

likemystylez
09-05-2013, 10:12 AM
I cant believe Mullin got another front office position after the marcus williams trade in 2008. One of the most horrible trade decisions that nobody around the league talks about. Literally throwing 4 years of a teams future away for a guy whos ceiling was a below average back up PG.

Kings might as well try and offer Robert Rowell a job as well.

MackShock
09-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Your sig will be giving me nightmares for eternity. Damn you!

:nod:

COOLbeans
09-05-2013, 12:01 PM

I agree! The baby warriors North would love Rowell

Leandres_sf
09-06-2013, 12:13 PM
I'm surprised it took so long for this to happen, didn't we originally hear about this a few months ago?

ESaady
09-07-2013, 03:03 PM
I cant believe Mullin got another front office position after the marcus williams trade in 2008. One of the most horrible trade decisions that nobody around the league talks about. Literally throwing 4 years of a teams future away for a guy whos ceiling was a below average back up PG.

Can't believe I defended that trade on here.

Scoots
09-07-2013, 07:40 PM
No way to defend that trade, but I did hear at the time that the trade was not Mullins ... he didn't want to do it and Nelly insisted and went over Mully's head. But ... I'm happy with our GM now so I don't mind Mully finding work.

likemystylez
09-07-2013, 09:19 PM
No way to defend that trade, but I did hear at the time that the trade was not Mullins ... he didn't want to do it and Nelly insisted and went over Mully's head. But ... I'm happy with our GM now so I don't mind Mully finding work.

see- i heard something along those lines too. If nelly wanted this kid so bad- why didnt he play him? Thats the part that doesnt add up to me. the front office was a mess back then, and it seemed like everyone was pointing the finger at someone else whenever a problem came up.

likemystylez
09-07-2013, 09:27 PM
I kind of blame mullin for letting the front office get out hand though. I mean you cant allow all this garbage to be going on with different people if you have a clear idea of how you want to build a team.

I dont think mullin knew what he wanted to accomplish in each offseason, or what needs he wanted to address. I heard the warriors were int he hunt for Kevin garnett and that was why they traded j rich for wright. I think the current front office would have found a way to land Garnett OR would have been smart enough not to throw j rich away until they knew the garnet deal was a go.

Also- after Baron left for the clippers and the warriors had money to spend- they really had no plan in place (which they should have- because it became obvious baron may opt out when he wasnt agreeing to any of the extensions the team offered him). The warriors went after Gilbert Arenas, Elton Brand, then Corey Maggette..... they wound up paying maggette almost double what any other team offered him.

Brand, Arenas, and Maggette are all completely different types of players, different positions, different types of personalities.... so it was hard to figure out what direction Mullin was trying to go with the team. he had money to spend- so it wasnt that management was handcuffing him, he just didnt have a clear vision of what the team needed, how he wanted to build, and so on. That team wasnt garbage either- they were coming off a 48-34 season.

Scoots
09-07-2013, 09:42 PM
I guess Nelly made a mistake and realized that what he traded for was worthless. Back then Mully was getting less and less power as Rowell got closer and closer to Cohan and convinced Cohan that Mully was a problem and Rowell and Nelly were the right way forward. It was just another example of Cohan's incompetence that he not only didn't try to resolve it, he made it worse.

Thank all that is holy that Cohan is gone.

Scoots
09-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Mullin was going to keep Baron, but Rowell over-ruled him. After that it was pretty much Rowell and Nelly running the show, but they didn't fire Mullin because then Cohan would have to pay out his contract AND hire a new GM. Total chicken$hit.

likemystylez
09-08-2013, 11:58 AM
I guess Nelly made a mistake and realized that what he traded for was worthless. Back then Mully was getting less and less power as Rowell got closer and closer to Cohan and convinced Cohan that Mully was a problem and Rowell and Nelly were the right way forward. It was just another example of Cohan's incompetence that he not only didn't try to resolve it, he made it worse.

Thank all that is holy that Cohan is gone.

Mullin was going to keep Baron, but Rowell over-ruled him. After that it was pretty much Rowell and Nelly running the show, but they didn't fire Mullin because then Cohan would have to pay out his contract AND hire a new GM. Total chicken$hit.

That all sounds like a crazy story for daytime TV, but there really is no solid proof or quotes from anybody involved to give credit to that story. The bay area writers made a few stories about it- but they also said bogut would be ready to go in training camp last yr.

All that stuff is is a story- someone who wasnt involved in any of the behind closed doors discussions account on what happened. LOl it might have even come off bleacher report for all we know. I like how Mullin was an absolutely perfect GM in that story and everything that went wrong was completely out of his control (Even though he was head of basketball operations)

Goose17
09-10-2013, 06:30 PM
I hear that Sac are changing their name to Warrior Kings.

MackShock
09-10-2013, 07:56 PM
check your ears