PDA

View Full Version : Maybe it is time for an NBA HOF

scissors
09-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Here's an article from a guy at mavsmoneyball.com who visited the basketball HOF. He often refers to it as the NBA HOF but I think his complaints raise the question...

WHY IS THERE NO NBA Hall of Fame??????

Where the NBA and its great would be celebrated and not get watered down (or erased) by the rest of the basketball world.

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2013/9/2/4686528/visiting-the-hall-of-fame#_=_

I came to see moments. Wilt's 100, Kobe's 81. How good was Charles Barkley? How good was Karl Malone? But it's actually possible-I achieved it myself-to go through the entire museum without seeing Karl Malone's face. There are some pictures of Lew Alcindor, in the section on the NCAA. I didn't see any of Kareem.

SpeeMN
09-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Maybe, and this is a guess, it is the fact that the NBA is a company subject to going out of business like the ABA. The NBA Museum would also then be subject to being taken down and forgotten about. Make it the 'Basketball HOF' and you have a Ceremony/Award and Museum that will stay forever just like Basketball.

But they must do a better job with the history of the NBA, since it is the one and only.

scissors
09-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Maybe, and this is a guess, it is the fact that the NBA is a company subject to going out of business like the ABA. The NBA Museum would also then be subject to being taken down and forgotten about. Make it the 'Basketball HOF' and you have a Ceremony/Award and Museum that will stay forever just like Basketball.

But they must do a better job with the history of the NBA, since it is the one and only.

I understand what you're saying. Certainly the Basketball HOF wouldn't shut its doors and would continue inducting NBA players like they currently do. There would just be an additional (and more exclusive) NBA HOF that is separate.

mike_noodles
09-04-2013, 07:38 AM
No, one is good enough. They obviously just need a better curator.

todu82
09-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Yeah they should, the NBA's a well recognized league and has been in existence for over 60 years, time for it to get its own Hall of Fame.

penuch
09-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Yeah they should, the NBA's a well recognized league and has been in existence for over 60 years, time for it to get its own Hall of Fame.

Seems to work for MLB to not have their own hall of fame. The idea is to celebrate the history of the sport all together. The NBA didn't come up with the idea of basketball so why so they be any more celebrated than others who have made it possible for them to be the league they are today?

JasonJohnHorn
09-04-2013, 11:34 PM
I like the idea of an NBA HOF.

gwrighter
09-05-2013, 12:22 AM
What's the point? Then does a great NBA player make it into two HOF's and have to do two speeches as well? I just don't get the point of it all.

carlthack
09-05-2013, 01:11 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Just dont start an NBDL Hall of Fame.