PDA

View Full Version : 6th Annual PSD Player Rankings #1 Center In The NBA? (Volume: VI)

Mile High Champ
09-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Hey guys, It is that time of year again! Once again we kick of the PSD NBA Off-Season Player Rankings. This is the 6th year I have done this on PSD and it always brings some great discussion and debate. Please keep things civil and discuss who you feel is most fitting and deserving of being voted in each poll.

A lot has changed since last season. Lebron James and the Miami Heat are back to back NBA champions after an exciting 7 game series win over the Spurs. Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 5 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

Due to some people complaining that the rule was not written for the PG poll; in order to be eligible for these rankings, players must of played in 10 or more games last season. Thank you.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best

2013 Off-Season PSD C Rankings

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

2012 Off-Season PSD C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Andrew Bynum
3) Kevin Garnett
4) Marc Gasol
5) Tim Duncan
6) Tyson Chandler
7) Al Horford
8) Al Jefferson
9) Roy Hibbert
10) DeMarcus Cousins

2011 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Andrew Bynum
3) Tim Duncan
4) Andrew Bogut
5) Al Horford
6) Marc Gasol
7) Tyson Chandler
8) Joakim Noah
9) Nene
10) Al Jefferson

2010 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Andrew Bogut
4) Brook Lopez
5) Andrew Bynum
6) Marc Gasol
7) Joakim Noah
8) Al Horford
9) Al Jefferson
10) Chris Kaman

2009 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Shaquille O'Neal
5) Andrea Bargnani
6) Andris Biedrins
7) Emeka Okafor
8) Nene
9) Brook Lopez
10) Andrew Bynum

2008 Off-Season C Rankings:

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Andrew Bynum
5) Chris Kaman
6) Tyson Chandler
7) Shaquille O'Neal
8) Marcus Camby
9) Jermaine O'neal
10) Andrew Bogut

kdspurman
09-03-2013, 09:39 AM
TD was probably the best all around big man last year at the 4 or the 5 spot.

JasonJohnHorn
09-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Gotta go with Tim Duncan here... especially when you look at his per36 stats. And his FT? WOW!! Never thought I'd saw hims shoot free throws like that ever. Defense. Rebounding. Scoring. What wasn't he doing? And he lead his team to the finals. If Duncan can take Parker and Manu to one of the best records in the league, but Dwight can't do the same with Kobe, Gasol, Artest and Jamison... I mean really, there isn't even a question in my mind.

That said, I do have an issue with Bosh being on this list. I realize that he started at 'center' this past season, but he is a power forward. The Heat simply started to power forward last year because they didn't have a true center. They played 'small ball'.

Kashmir13579
09-03-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm voting for Tyson Chandler until he's off the board. Dude was vital.

D-Leethal
09-03-2013, 11:02 AM
There needs to be a single standard for these things: are we going by natural positions or positions they play in the previous season? KG on the C list last year, PF list this year? Bosh on the C list this year, but LeBron and Melo on the SF list? Either go with their natural positions, or go with where they actually played the previous year, but don't just mix and match both. These lists are all out of whack as a result.

beasted86
09-03-2013, 11:08 AM

So basically you are saying you're ignoring the thread's purpose and OP's instructions. Nice.

kdspurman
09-03-2013, 11:11 AM
There needs to be a single standard for these things: are we going by natural positions or positions they play in the previous season? KG on the C list last year, PF list this year? Bosh on the C list this year, but LeBron and Melo on the SF list? Either go with their natural positions, or go with where they actually played the previous year, but don't just mix and match both. These lists are all out of whack as a result.

That's a good point about Lebron & Melo playing the 4 more but showing on the SF list.

I was confused as to how KG was on the PF list but Duncan wasn't. I think going by natural position is probably the best way to go to avoid these kind of scenarios.

beasted86
09-03-2013, 11:14 AM
I understand your point completely, that's why I pretty much stay out of these threads along with my post above. People don't follow the instructions and are homers/haters.

But its not our thread and its not that serious. If you want to participate, just read the OP then pick the best player available regardless of position or how you think that position should be played.

Kashmir13579
09-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Yeah i agree. Its a mess.

Kashmir13579
09-03-2013, 11:23 AM
So basically you are saying you're ignoring the thread's purpose and OP's instructions. Nice.

Well, we all know Dwight will take the top honors, so my vote doesn't matter there.

Shammyguy3
09-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Well, we all know Dwight will take the top honors, so my vote doesn't matter there.

Don't be so certain - Duncan's most likely winning this one.

Kashmir13579
09-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Don't be so certain - Duncan's most likely winning this one.

Duncan as a C, i keep forgetting.

Ezio
09-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Should of been Finals MVP if it wasn't for Pop's brain fart in game 6, Timmeh.

NYKnicks4511
09-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Slim Dunkin

b@llhog24
09-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Marc Gasol

Mile High Champ
09-03-2013, 02:15 PM

It really is quite simple. Bosh is going into this season as the Heat`s staring center, hence why he is on this list. KG is going into next year as the Nets starting PF next to Brook. Melo is likely headed back to SF this coming season due to a great deal of depth at PF for the Knicks in Bargnani and Amare. James is really the wildcard as I saw him split a lot of his time last season at PF and SF. Though when you look at it closely, it is clear he played mostly SF (at least as a starter). Haslem last year started 59 games for the Heat and Bosh started 74. There is simply no way James was a PF last year with both those players getting over 59 starts. There is also no reason to believe that both Haslem and Bosh won`t get the majority of starts this coming season either.

Really is not that hard to understand why I have done with the positions. It is all about next season.

Mile High Champ
09-03-2013, 02:17 PM
That's a good point about Lebron & Melo playing the 4 more but showing on the SF list.

I was confused as to how KG was on the PF list but Duncan wasn't. I think going by natural position is probably the best way to go to avoid these kind of scenarios.

See my post above. James was a SF last season and will likely be again this year while Melo is likely reverting back to SF this coming season with the added additions to the Knicks front court. Duncan has also not played PF in years considering the players over the years that have started alongside him (Blair, Mcdyess & Splitter).

kdspurman
09-03-2013, 02:52 PM
See my post above. James was a SF last season and will likely be again this year while Melo is likely reverting back to SF this coming season with the added additions to the Knicks front court. Duncan has also not played PF in years considering the players over the years that have started alongside him (Blair, Mcdyess & Splitter).

Thanks for the clarification.

And I guess it depends on how it's classified who plays what position in terms of Duncan. Since Splitter has started a long side him, he operates a little more on the perimeter than he used to, he guards 4's and/or 5's. His starting position is the PF and Splitter (about the same size) is the starting C so in regards to your explanation, it seems he's going into next year as the 4. Throughout the season there's plenty of times he's the only big on the floor and plays the 5 spot, but in terms of what he's listed as by the Spurs, it's at PF.

No big deal honestly, I guess I was just looking for clarification. I appreciate the threads though for sure.

tredigs
09-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Last year? Duncan, not even a question against Dwight. He turned back the clock a few years and led that team to the brink of a title (with a 30/15+ performance) if not for Ray Ray's last second heroics. Incredible stuff. Clearly the best center last year in my opinion, and stats wise.

The next group with Chandler/Gasol/Noah/Howard should make for some interesting debate. I'd probably go with those 4 ahead of Hibbert, Asik, Sanders, Bogut, Pek, Vuv, Horford to close it out.

JOhnnyTHaJet
09-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Last year? Duncan, not even a question against Dwight. He turned back the clock a few years and led that team to the brink of a title (with a 30/15+ performance) if not for Ray Ray's last second heroics. Incredible stuff. Clearly the best center last year in my opinion, and stats wise.

The next group with Chandler/Gasol/Noah/Howard should make for some interesting debate. I'd probably go with those 4 ahead of Hibbert, Asik, Sanders, Bogut, Pek, Vuv, Horford to close it out.
No Lopez...?

Bruno
09-03-2013, 03:32 PM
I'll take the guy who punked Dwight Howard in the first round on the playoffs. the guy who should have been finals MVP if his coach had not sat him TWICE during the most crucial possessions of last years NBA season.

gimme the big fundamental. ive got the defensive player of the year next.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2540973/howarddealwithit.gif

Bruno
09-03-2013, 03:35 PM

agreed across the board. Howard should go 3rd at the soonest.

tredigs
09-03-2013, 03:45 PM
No Lopez...?

Lopez too, I was just going off the top of my head. Though I'd put him below the elite defending/rebounding Centers being how crucial that is to the position. He's in that 2nd group for me.

tredigs
09-03-2013, 03:53 PM
agreed across the board. Howard should go 3rd at the soonest.

Yeah, I bet he'll go #2 though because the other votes will be splattered around. Fwiw, RAPM had it Duncan > M. Gasol > Howard > Chandler > Noah. Out of those guys Wins Produced had it Chandler > Duncan > Noah > M Gasol > Howard.

Guppyfighter
09-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Al Jefferson is on this list, but not Bogut?

Minimal
09-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Duncan

TrueFan420
09-03-2013, 04:29 PM

guess you skipped over the dont be a homer part. yes he was huge but not worthy of a #1 vote

TrueFan420
09-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Al Jefferson is on this list, but not Bogut?

he was hurt most of the year but yes he should be on the list.

also duncan played pf most of the year and while bosh played center he shouldnt be counted in this list but rather the pf list as well.

mrblisterdundee
09-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Tim Duncan had one heck of a throwback season.

Bruno
09-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Dp

Bruno
09-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I bet he'll go #2 though because the other votes will be splattered around. Fwiw, RAPM had it Duncan > M. Gasol > Howard > Chandler > Noah. Out of those guys Wins Produced had it Chandler > Duncan > Noah > M Gasol > Howard.

I'm sure he will to. He doesn't deserve it over Gasol. I don't think I've seen a player get psychologically dominated like Howard did against Duncan in quite a while.

no offense to any of the Howard voters but a vote for Howard over Duncan here is laughable. He dominated him physically and mentally and he had a better season.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
09-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Voted Dwight as soon as I opened the thread but then remembered right after that Duncan was being counted as a center in this. Ahhhhh.

ManRam
09-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Duncan with the slight edge over Howard, but Howard will retake the throne again after this season.

Gasol probably is my #3

CELTICS4LYFE
09-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Ducan is a C now??

Roy Hibbert

SugeKnight
09-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Duncan
Gasol
Howard
Hibbert
Noah
Horford
Sanders
Bogut
Lopez
Chandler

I Rock Shaqs
09-03-2013, 06:43 PM
It really is quite simple. Bosh is going into this season as the Heat`s staring center, hence why he is on this list. KG is going into next year as the Nets starting PF next to Brook. Melo is likely headed back to SF this coming season due to a great deal of depth at PF for the Knicks in Bargnani and Amare. James is really the wildcard as I saw him split a lot of his time last season at PF and SF. Though when you look at it closely, it is clear he played mostly SF (at least as a starter). Haslem last year started 59 games for the Heat and Bosh started 74. There is simply no way James was a PF last year with both those players getting over 59 starts. There is also no reason to believe that both Haslem and Bosh won`t get the majority of starts this coming season either.

Really is not that hard to understand why I have done with the positions. It is all about next season.

Why is it based off what position they are going to be playing next season if we are going off their stats from last season? That seems pretty stupid to me. But it is refreshing that you know the future.

Eagles4Lyfe
09-03-2013, 08:34 PM
For people that keep asking why the hell Duncan is included in the center poll, this is why.
http://www.82games.com/1213/1213SAS2.HTM

As you can see he was basically their center and Splitter was the PF :p.....

Also people voting for Dwight is based of name reputation and from what he did 2-3 years ago.
People say Kobe affected him, well then in the playoffs what did Dwight do without Kobe? He was on a very talented team last year and people always say he's more than capable of making a defense elite on his own and had solid defenders around him, but yet Lakers sucked on both ends.

Plus the guy still has no offensive repertoire whatsoever.

Duncan is the man, was just filthy in the playoffs this year. Like true veterans, he took it easy during the regular season and saved energy, then come playoff time, he went HAM.

JOhnnyTHaJet
09-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Duncan
Gasol
Howard
Hibbert
Noah
Horford
Sanders
Bogut
Lopez
Chandler

Brook at 9?? With Bogut, Horford, and Hibbert over him?

This site gives me a headache.

SugeKnight
09-04-2013, 03:51 AM
Brook at 9?? With Bogut, Horford, and Hibbert over him?

This site gives me a headache.

Play C and u better defend the paint and clean the glass. Lopez has the most polished offensive game of any center, but his defense leaves a lot to be desired

Chronz
09-04-2013, 05:00 AM
Not sure what makes Splitter more of a PF than Timmay

Mile High Champ
09-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Why is it based off what position they are going to be playing next season if we are going off their stats from last season? That seems pretty stupid to me. But it is refreshing that you know the future.

It is all based on who you believe is the best player going into this coming season. I have always used the positions players will likely play for next season. If you don't like it, don't vote or participate. Simple as that.

Hellcrooner
09-04-2013, 03:50 PM

really?

Then why the **** is not Pau gasol in the Center list instead of the Pf one?

Dantoni himself has hinted he is going to play him there and have kaman come from the bench.

Oh, that doesnt fill an agenda, does it?
:rolleyes:

Chronz
09-04-2013, 03:57 PM
really?

Then why the **** is not Pau gasol in the Center list instead of the Pf one?

Dantoni himself has hinted he is going to play him there and have kaman come from the bench.

Oh, that doesnt fill an agenda, does it?
:rolleyes:

I have a hard time believing in the limited J.Hill being more of a PF than the multiskilled Pau. Same reason why Duncan should be on the PF list IMO.

I Rock Shaqs
09-04-2013, 04:28 PM
I have a hard time believing in the limited J.Hill being more of a PF than the multiskilled Pau. Same reason why Duncan should be on the PF list IMO.

Hey bud if you don't like it don't participate..... Wahhhh!

Chronz
09-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Hey bud if you don't like it don't participate..... Wahhhh!
I dont mind it

D-Leethal
09-04-2013, 07:27 PM
I've been voting guys higher than most after down years, especially those that have proven to be #1/#2 over a long period of time and had a down year while injured. Did it for Dirk, will do it for Howard over Gasol. I don't think down years should allow guys who are just now become elite to leapfrog you right away. All depends on your personal criteria though.

sunsfan88
09-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Gotta go with Tim Duncan here... especially when you look at his per36 stats. And his FT? WOW!! Never thought I'd saw hims shoot free throws like that ever. Defense. Rebounding. Scoring. What wasn't he doing? And he lead his team to the finals. If Duncan can take Parker and Manu to one of the best records in the league, but Dwight can't do the same with Kobe, Gasol, Artest and Jamison... I mean really, there isn't even a question in my mind.

That said, I do have an issue with Bosh being on this list. I realize that he started at 'center' this past season, but he is a power forward. The Heat simply started to power forward last year because they didn't have a true center. They played 'small ball'.
Your being sarcastic right? Don't act like washed up Gasol, Jamison, and Artest are better than Tony Parker, Ginobili, Leonard and Green.

Only one better is Kobe and he didn't even help Dwight in the playoffs cause he was out with injury.

RiceOnTheRun
09-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Duncan overall, is the better player and I would take him over Dwight any day, but I still consider him a PF in the end. Dwight is the best center in the NBA but if it's flatout Timmy vs Dwight, there's no contest.

True Rocket
09-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Dwight Howard at the top.

tredigs
09-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Your being sarcastic right? Don't act like washed up Gasol, Jamison, and Artest are better than Tony Parker, Ginobili, Leonard and Green.

Only one better is Kobe and he didn't even help Dwight in the playoffs cause he was out with injury.

Gasol is far from washed up, Kobe is arguably better, and he may have been talking about the '03 Spurs when TP and Ginobili were shells of what they would later be. That said, their synergy and coach were on a different playing field.

Edit: Well no, he's def talking about these current Spurs - which makes it a completely dumb comment - but Duncan was still easily better than Dwight this season.

b@llhog24
09-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Gasol is far from washed up, Kobe is arguably better, and he may have been talking about the '03 Spurs when TP and Ginobili were shells of what they would later be. That said, their synergy and coach were on a different playing field.

Edit: Well no, he's def talking about these current Spurs - which makes it a completely dumb comment - but Duncan was still easily better than Dwight this season.

That's his MO.