PDA

View Full Version : Norris Cole progress/expectations?

beasted86
09-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Similar to Chalmers, there has been a lot of Norris Cole wavering among fans on this forum. Some people love him, some people hate him, some people think he is just fine.

During his rookie year he seemed to start off with that spark and then faded later in the season. In his 2nd year he started off cold and many wanted him traded or benched, but a few of us recognized that these were understandable growing pains and he was still useful for his defense. As most of us saw he really got into gear in the 2nd half of the season and the playoffs and gave a lot of people hope for the future.

So my question is what do you expect out of Cole next season?
Is this the year he makes a case as a long term starting option if Chalmers leaves?
Statistical expectations?

My prediction is 7.0 PPG, 2 AST, 2 REB, 44% FG, 33% 3PT.

He should be working with the staff on how to draw more fouls and finish in the lane.

Slug3
09-02-2013, 04:35 PM
I thought by year 3 he would take over the job from Chalmers. But he just hasn't done enough. He has stretches where he looks great. Then follows it up with some of the worse basketball in the league.

king james
09-02-2013, 04:40 PM
I would like to c him work on a good runner since has trouble finishing at the rim. Also learn to shoot better off the dribble.

beasted86
09-02-2013, 06:39 PM
I thought by year 3 he would take over the job from Chalmers. But he just hasn't done enough. He has stretches where he looks great. Then follows it up with some of the worse basketball in the league.

Well it's clear where you stand in that group of posters about Norris Cole that I said exist.

I'm not necessarily directly talking to you, but, I think some of you have unreasonable expectations. I also think some of you don't know what to expect out of the PG position on this team. Some people think we are supposed to have a player that could start on almost all 30 teams in the NBA, and every role player is supposed to develop into a Rondo or a Perkins around our big 3. Until you have realistic expectations of what role a PG is going to have on this team and how they fit you will forever be disappointed.

I absolutely love what both Chalmers and Cole provide. They are far from perfect, but both have a reasonable platform of skills and strengths that make them valuable to this team. I also like the switch of gears between the two players for different situations.

Slug3
09-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Well it's clear where you stand in that group of posters about Norris Cole that I said exist.

I'm not necessarily directly talking to you, but, I think some of you have unreasonable expectations. I also think some of you don't know what to expect out of the PG position on this team. Some people think we are supposed to have a player that could start on almost all 30 teams in the NBA, and every role player is supposed to develop into a Rondo or a Perkins around our big 3. Until you have realistic expectations of what role a PG is going to have on this team and how they fit you will forever be disappointed.

I absolutely love what both Chalmers and Cole provide. They are far from perfect, but both have a reasonable platform of skills and strengths that make them valuable to this team. I also like the switch of gears between the two players for different situations.

You made it sound like I thought Cole was going to be great like Parker or Rondo or something. That's not my point at all. I saw some good flashes from him his first year and thought he might be able to be a decent PG. I don't think Chalmers sucks, just though Cole would develope into something better. After watching last year where he played a lot of time like crap, I just don't have that expectation anymore. I mean lets not forget at one point we had arroyo and then Quinn as our PGs. So it could always be worse.

beasted86
09-02-2013, 08:20 PM
You made it sound like I thought Cole was going to be great like Parker or Rondo or something. That's not my point at all. I saw some good flashes from him his first year and thought he might be able to be a decent PG. I don't think Chalmers sucks, just though Cole would develope into something better. After watching last year where he played a lot of time like crap, I just don't have that expectation anymore. I mean lets not forget at one point we had arroyo and then Quinn as our PGs. So it could always be worse.

Okay, so like I said in the OP, what are your expectations out of the PG position statistically? If it helps list Mario's stats as well.

I mean since our big 3 was put together they have averaged at least 65 PPG. You expect Ray Allen to be at double digits as well. So 75+ PPG are accounted for between just 4 players. The team is only going to score about 100 every night. So you basically have to divide 25-27 points between the other 6 guys in the rotation.

With that in mind, some people still expect both Rio and Cole to both average double digits.

justinnum1
09-02-2013, 08:38 PM
6/4/4

Finish more consistently around the rim. Keep working on the 3. Better help defense.

Slug3
09-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Okay, so like I said in the OP, what are your expectations out of the PG position statistically? If it helps list Mario's stats as well.

I mean since our big 3 was put together they have averaged at least 65 PPG. You expect Ray Allen to be at double digits as well. So 75+ PPG are accounted for between just 4 players. The team is only going to score about 100 every night. So you basically have to divide 25-27 points between the other 6 guys in the rotation.

With that in mind, some people still expect both Rio and Cole to both average double digits.

All I want from Cole is for him to play some great D. I don't care too much what he does on offense.

SteBO
09-03-2013, 08:56 AM
He's progressed okay to me.....he just needs to help space the floor, get better finishing around the rim, and as someone brought up, draw more fouls. I always envisioned Cole to be for us what JJ Barea was for the Mavs....

beasted86
09-03-2013, 10:30 AM
All I want from Cole is for him to play some great D. I don't care too much what he does on offense.

I don't know about you, but I think he has been pretty good on D.

Again its about expectations. If you expect him to be Gary Payton out there or defend a Rose or Parker as good as LeBron, that's probably a bad idea.

He seems to really pester some opponents. I remember him coming in and locking down JJ Barea earlier last season when he was on a hot string, he just cooled him off immediately. His highlight of the season was that perfectly timed game saving stop on Kyrie Irving. He also almost repeated a game saving steal against the Pacers, but they let George Hill get away with a clear foul and instead it ended up being a turnover on Cole.

I think his defense is extremely solid for a 2nd year player and it will improve some more.

lavilevi23
09-03-2013, 12:24 PM
I thought he played good last season and he exceeded my expectations. I want him to keep shooting great from outside as he did in the playoffs and to also keep playing lockdown D on opposing guards. If he improves his finish under the rim, he can become a really solid PG.

SportsFanatic10
09-04-2013, 05:20 PM
if the heat don't add another wing to replace miller i could see coles minutes go up a little more and the heat going small with him and chalmers out there together at times. now without miller when wade misses a game ray allen will likely have to start, and chalmers will see some minutes at sg possibly opening up additional minutes for cole. i'll say something like 7 or 8 ppg, 2.5ast, 1.5reb, 0.8stl, on 45% is reasonable to expect from him this season. hopefully he takes the next step in his game and finishes better around the rim as well as continuing to develop as a passer and seeing the floor better instead of having tunnel vision on the rim. i like the idea of him developing a floater, chalmers has really been working on his the last few years and cole should do the same. i do like his defense that was solid last season.

beasted86
09-04-2013, 11:46 PM
if the heat don't add another wing to replace miller i could see coles minutes go up a little more and the heat going small with him and chalmers out there together at times. now without miller when wade misses a game ray allen will likely have to start, and chalmers will see some minutes at sg possibly opening up additional minutes for cole. i'll say something like 7 or 8 ppg, 2.5ast, 1.5reb, 0.8stl, on 45% is reasonable to expect from him this season. hopefully he takes the next step in his game and finishes better around the rim as well as continuing to develop as a passer and seeing the floor better instead of having tunnel vision on the rim. i like the idea of him developing a floater, chalmers has really been working on his the last few years and cole should do the same. i do like his defense that was solid last season.

For the times that Wade misses a game, unfortunately Spo will probably dig deep and start James Jones. That is the downside to cutting Miller. Spo really doesn't like changing his rotation.

SportsFanatic10
09-05-2013, 01:02 AM
For the times that Wade misses a game, unfortunately Spo will probably dig deep and start James Jones. That is the downside to cutting Miller. Spo really doesn't like changing his rotation.

lol ya your probably right. but he might go small with the double point guard lineup a little more in those games than usual at least. if the starting lineup is still chalmers/wade/lebron/haslem/bosh he could maybe start battier at the 2 as well i guess and still have allen as his 6th man. he really needs to learn to adjust better and not stick so tight to his rotations all the time. that always bugs me about spo, his rotations sometimes come ahead of common sense. like the time miller was hot in the finals against okc and picked up his 3rd foul or something and spo was looking to take him out but miller waved him off. lol he was hot and his back was so bad if he came out it would stiffen and he wouldn't come back in anyways, the fouls didn't matter! just one example.../rant.

flashwade03
09-05-2013, 08:50 AM
his defense looks fine to me though an improvement is still welcome .. i think he needs to polish his decision making on offense on when to shoot or when to pass .. needs improvement on his outside shooting .. i think he will average 7pts. 4rebs. 4 asts. 1stl . 4 TO`s