PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Curry : MVP?

Il Mago50
09-01-2013, 02:04 AM
A little early to start this conversation but it has to be started.

This past summer, we saw Curry turn into the newest superstar in the league. We arguably might have the NBA's most explosive perimeter scorer now residing in Oakland with one of the league's most talented rosters. If Lee, Thompson, Bogut, Barnes and Igoudala can stay healthy and they get contributions out of O'Neal, Green and the rest of the bench, the Warriors are probably in the same conversation as the Spurs and Clippers in the West.

If they can be up there in terms of games won, I think that sheer voter fatigue with Lebron at this point will get the vote swayed to have the award go to one of these players: Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant or Stephan Curry.

In my opinion, I think that Curry is coming into the season with the same kind of potential that Derrick Rose had before he took the league by storm and if the voters choose to move in a new direction, I see the award going to Curry.

asandhu23
09-01-2013, 02:11 AM
who's Stephan Curry?

Kushed
09-01-2013, 02:12 AM
ankle injury misses over/under 20 games??

over

he won't be in the conversation

Kashmir13579
09-01-2013, 02:19 AM
If he plays 70+ games and Warriors get a top seed, i could easily see it.

SportsFanatic10
09-01-2013, 03:31 AM
highly doubt it. if lebron doesn't take it durant will.

BenFrank
09-01-2013, 03:47 AM
I hope Curry lives up to expectations.. I wonder what u guys think his averages will be?

Goose17
09-01-2013, 04:52 AM
Uhhh... no.

Even as a Dubs die hard I can't endorse this.

I find it funny that you guys are only paying attention to Curry now, it's not like he hasn't been doing this every year of his career so far.

But he won't be MVP imo. He'll probably be quite high in the voting but there will be at least 4 other guys ahead of him.

Lebron will win it again, unless there is voter fatigue in which case I can see Durant, Rose, Kobe, CP3 and maybe even Melo getting a look in before Curry.

It's less to do with ability and more to do with how they are perceived. For example, if voter fatigue were to set in, and Rose was to have a year comparable to his first MVP award, people would look at that as a great comeback story and to see a guy come back like that and "dominate" would make him worthy of MVP, same idea with Kobe. CP3 and the Clippers will likely be a top 2-3 team in the West. If they finish at least 2nd I can see CP3 getting the vote, he's clearly the best player on that team. Durant is self-explanatory.

Minimal
09-01-2013, 05:10 AM
Its LeBron or Durant. Easy as that.

SugeKnight
09-01-2013, 05:16 AM
I hope Curry lives up to expectations.. I wonder what u guys think his averages will be?

26-7-5 on 50-45-90% with about 2 steals. MVP will be LeBron or maybe Durant

PurpleLynch
09-01-2013, 05:58 AM
He could be in the conversation,it depends on his health and on the record of the Warriors in the West conference. But the biggest superstar(after Lebron's peak) will be Durant in my opinion. He's stats are crazy,he's young and still has won a lot of things. He just needs a team with a good center(Perkins is awful in every aspect of the game),hope that Jeremy Lamb makes it to the next level and in a healthy and not chucker Westbrook.

archdevil84
09-01-2013, 06:43 AM
i dont think steph curry can win the MVP because his all around game is just not good enough. Scoring title is a whole different story though. If he goes off like he did the second half of last year he has a good chance of winning that one.

slashsnake
09-01-2013, 06:44 AM
26-7-5 on 50-45-90% with about 2 steals. MVP will be LeBron or maybe Durant

If he can get 40+ minutes a game for 75 or more games and the Warriors improve, maybe... And after his hot start to the playoffs I thought he really faded towards the end. Granted that was a short time (5 or so games) but so was his great run there.

If he stays healthy I think he will be an all-star, maybe even start. But both of those are tough calls in the west (Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Russell Westbrook). He could be the 4th best PG in the west, and the 4th best PG in the league. But I just don't see him as MVP without some down years by guys like Lebron and Durant. I'd throw him on my darkhorse MVP group (along with Harden and Love)... but that's not a good shot for them either.

I'd love to see him pick up his defensive game a little as well. But for a scoring hybrid point, well that always seems to be what I want to see out of them.

Goose17
09-01-2013, 07:39 AM
If he can get 40+ minutes a game for 75 or more games and the Warriors improve, maybe... And after his hot start to the playoffs I thought he really faded towards the end. Granted that was a short time (5 or so games) but so was his great run there.

If he stays healthy I think he will be an all-star, maybe even start. But both of those are tough calls in the west (Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Russell Westbrook). He could be the 4th best PG in the west, and the 4th best PG in the league. But I just don't see him as MVP without some down years by guys like Lebron and Durant. I'd throw him on my darkhorse MVP group (along with Harden and Love)... but that's not a good shot for them either.

I'd love to see him pick up his defensive game a little as well. But for a scoring hybrid point, well that always seems to be what I want to see out of them.

His defense was really good up until the All Star break and then it fell off, he's aware of this though he commented on it in a recent interview;

Q. How will you improve your defense this season?

"I was really good my first two months, especially on the pick-and-roll. I don't know if it was a fatigue issue, or playing minutes, or lack of attention to detail. I wasn't that bad. I've looked at the film over the summer. But I can be a lot better, a lot more consistent, like I was the first 25 games or so."

Q.Is it possible to be good on defense for an entire season with the offensive load you carry?

A. "No excuses. It's definitely possible. When I'm in the game, I'm not really thinking, 'I'm tired. Let me milk it on defense.' I've just got to dig deep. That's what you prepare in the summer for, to battle through fatigue like that. So I think it is possible. I'm not going to be defensive player of the year. But hopefully I can be top 10 (among point guards) and be able to disrupt some of the best point guards in the world."

I like the shout for Harden as a dark horse, I would put Dwight in there as well. If D12 was to ever improve his offensive game to the point where he was netting 25-26 ppg above 60% FG, I don't see how he couldn't be a contender for it. 25 PPG, 14 RPG, 3 BPG, FG% .60... those are the numbers I imagined he would be putting up by now.

rocket
09-01-2013, 09:43 AM
LeBron or Durant.

So no.

poleandreel
09-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Lets do quick analysis:

Durant is basically a given to put up at least 28/8.5/3.5 on 48/38/88

Those are probably the absolute low end. The loss of kevin martin coupled with the fact that hes getting angry seeing LBJ win MVP's and championships despite being so close every year will give him even more determination.

I can easily see a retro tmac season from him of something like 32/10/4 on 50/40/90 with 1.5 steals and 1.5 blocks. If he does that, it might even put him over LBJ because obviously the Thunder will still be a top 1 or 2 seed. I predicting a hugeeeee year from Durant.

Curry at best can put up 28/5/8 on 48/45/95 with 2 steals. Odds are the warriors won't be better than the Thunder and iggy is a facilitator so he will probably take away a few assists from curry. As you can see, curry's best is likely to be on par with Durant's FLOOR for the upcoming season.

Plus, there is still LBJ who still has the best odds to win it.

Then I would still put Harden and CP3 above Curry. But that's really it. Curry is amazing though.

RiceOnTheRun
09-01-2013, 10:55 AM
If he's healthy, he's definitely a top candidate, but as far as actually winning the MVP it's unlikely. He just doesn't have the same impact on the game that all-around players like Lebron or Durant do, but then again, Steve Nash also won it twice so it shouldn't be outside the realm of possibility.

Both Lebron and Durant would have to take a major step back, which I don't see happening. Besides that, Curry would have to have a monster year. Maybe taking a top seed in the west (which is unlikely but not impossible) and having several ridiculous games. Tbh, let's just hope he stays healthy.

heyman321
09-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaaaahahahhahahaha.

HAhahahahahhahaahahah!!!! Stephen Curry?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!

Heediot
09-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Durant or Paul. Lebron will deserve it most but voters will go elsewhere this year.

JasonJohnHorn
09-01-2013, 11:58 AM
I agree. Very real possibility. I wonder how many players have won MVP awards with only one All-Star game appearance?

If Curry continues his development and the team finishes wiht 60 wins... he will be in the conversation...

and yes, voters get bored of voting for the same guy. I still expect LBJ to win it so long as his numbers are similar to last season and KD doesn't get too much better. We'll see.

Voters also like voting for history... so making LBJ one of only 4 guys with 3-straight MVPS (Russell, Wilt and Bird being the others) and putting him in the position to be the first 4X MVP. That would be crazy. I think the voters are down for that too.

It depends on who wins the most and who puts up great numbers. It is possible that Curry doesn't even make an All-Star team again. I mean, CP3, Parker and Westbrook are all favorites there. And Kobe and Harden have two shooting guard spots locked up.

BKLYNpigeon
09-01-2013, 12:10 PM
anything is possible, but i doubt Curry can win one.

Tony Parker was in the conversation the first half of the season.

The Warriors have 17 Nationally Televised games next season, people will finally get to see how good this team is.

this is also Curry's first offseason without having to rehab. I think he's going to have a great season.

waveycrockett
09-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Steph Curry is getting overrated for sure. Best Shooter in the game and terrific scorer but he isn't winning an MVP against the likes of LeBron and Durant. Not even close lets be serious. And Tony Parker was the nomination of the Anbody But LeBron voters. Curry needs to prove he is the best PG in the game before we can even put him in the MVP convo which he still has a long way to go.

Goose17
09-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Steph Curry is getting overrated for sure. Best Shooter in the game and terrific scorer but he isn't winning an MVP against the likes of LeBron and Durant. Not even close lets be serious. And Tony Parker was the nomination of the Anbody But LeBron voters. Curry needs to prove he is the best PG in the game before we can even put him in the MVP convo which he still has a long way to go.

I agree. I mean he's more than just the best shooter in the game. But he's certainly not an MVP candidate.

I think some people saw him play in the playoffs this season and that's all they've ever seen from him. Too many casual fans.

waveycrockett
09-01-2013, 01:08 PM
I would like to see Curry improve his natural PG skills/decision making and continue to improve on defense. To me his biggest Weakness is court vision/decision making. If he can do that he can be like a prime Steve Nash and then we can put him in that conversation.

ThaDubs
09-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Not sure who Stephan Curry is but he sure sounds good.

ThaDubs
09-01-2013, 08:11 PM
I would like to see Curry improve his natural PG skills/decision making and continue to improve on defense. To me his biggest Weakness is court vision/decision making. If he can do that he can be like a prime Steve Nash and then we can put him in that conversation.

He is a great playmaker. His biggest weakness by far is his lack of great athleticism or defense.

OceanSpray
09-01-2013, 11:43 PM
The voter fatigue is going to be tough to apply if LeBron has another dominating season. I don't think he'll replicate his 2012-2013 accomplishments, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does. If he does, there's no way you can justify not giving the award to him. As for Curry being the MVP? Nah, he has a lot to improve. I'm not even sure the GSW are as good as last year. Losing Carl Landy and Jarret Jack for Andre? I guess you can argue the cons and pros, but people forget how big of a player Jack was for them.

slashsnake
09-01-2013, 11:58 PM
His defense was really good up until the All Star break and then it fell off, he's aware of this though he commented on it in a recent interview;

Q. How will you improve your defense this season?

"I was really good my first two months, especially on the pick-and-roll. I don't know if it was a fatigue issue, or playing minutes, or lack of attention to detail. I wasn't that bad. I've looked at the film over the summer. But I can be a lot better, a lot more consistent, like I was the first 25 games or so."

Q.Is it possible to be good on defense for an entire season with the offensive load you carry?

A. "No excuses. It's definitely possible. When I'm in the game, I'm not really thinking, 'I'm tired. Let me milk it on defense.' I've just got to dig deep. That's what you prepare in the summer for, to battle through fatigue like that. So I think it is possible. I'm not going to be defensive player of the year. But hopefully I can be top 10 (among point guards) and be able to disrupt some of the best point guards in the world."

I like the shout for Harden as a dark horse, I would put Dwight in there as well. If D12 was to ever improve his offensive game to the point where he was netting 25-26 ppg above 60% FG, I don't see how he couldn't be a contender for it. 25 PPG, 14 RPG, 3 BPG, FG% .60... those are the numbers I imagined he would be putting up by now.

Yup, I agree with Dwight being in the mix if he is healthy. Even with his limited scoring ability, he’s been in the top 8 or so scorers the past 7 years in the league just due to his athleticism (and a weak group of centers in the league IMO).
If Kevin Love comes back healthy and gets Minnesota to the playoffs with what he’d been doing before he was injured (25 points 14 boards, 40% from downtown…) I think he’d really get in the mix as well. Like I said, darkhorse, but outside of Lebron and Durant everyone’s a dark horse.
I saw quite a few GS games and just thought Curry seemed a step slow on D when he was matched up against another point guard. Tony Parker looked like he had a clear lane to the rim all series long, but granted he is Tony Parker too. I’d call him average or slightly below on D. But that’s just one opinion here.

TrueFan420
09-02-2013, 12:02 AM
The voter fatigue is going to be tough to apply if LeBron has another dominating season. I don't think he'll replicate his 2012-2013 accomplishments, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does. If he does, there's no way you can justify not giving the award to him. As for Curry being the MVP? Nah, he has a lot to improve. I'm not even sure the GSW are as good as last year. Losing Carl Landy and Jarret Jack for Andre? I guess you can argue the cons and pros, but people forget how big of a player Jack was for them.
We lost those two but got back far more than just Andre, we got Speights, oneal, Douglas(solid defender) too.

As far as curry for MVP doubt it. He'd need to have another year similar to what he did last year shooting wise (not just breaking the record but effiency) while stepping up his d to an above average level. I don't think people will vote Lebron for 3 in a row unless he tops last year.

OceanSpray
09-02-2013, 12:09 AM
We lost those two but got back far more than just Andre, we got Speights, oneal, Douglas(solid defender) too.

As far as curry for MVP doubt it. He'd need to have another year similar to what he did last year shooting wise (not just breaking the record but effiency) while stepping up his d to an above average level. I don't think people will vote Lebron for 3 in a row unless he tops last year.

Yeah, which is why I said LeBron has to give them a reason to vote for him because the MVP voters will get tired of it. I like Andre but I don't think the other 3 makes up for the totality of Jack/Landry. Jack was big time when Curry had off games. Maybe it'll work out better for GSW, who knows?

TrueFan420
09-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Yeah, which is why I said LeBron has to give them a reason to vote for him because the MVP voters will get tired of it. I like Andre but I don't think the other 3 makes up for the totality of Jack/Landry. Jack was big time when Curry had off games. Maybe it'll work out better for GSW, who knows?

Landry will be replaced fine. Spieghts and oneal got that covered. Jack is a question mark for me. There were times where did too much and it cost the team but he also hit big shots and I trusted him to fill in if curry goes down. Douglas I don't trust to run the offense if curry is out injured. But if curry is healthy Andre can pick up the slack of setting people up that we lost with jack.

Jeffy25
09-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Lebron, then Curry.

Basicaly the only two options unless Melo joins them.

TrueFan420
09-02-2013, 12:35 AM
Lebron, then Curry.

I think there are a few on the list that are after Lebron and before curry

b@llhog24
09-02-2013, 12:48 AM
Lebron, then Curry.

Did Durant die or something?

lol, please
09-02-2013, 01:27 AM
Curry gets no respect around here. It's to be expected I guess.

OceanSpray
09-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Curry does get respect.. But you are delusional and overrating him if you think he's getting mvp next year. He's not even the best pg and certainly has a lot to improve.

Kuya_Clive
09-02-2013, 12:55 PM
He's gonna have to have another career year and a great story to back it up in order to win. Look at Rose, while he had great stats, the story of him leading the Bulls without Boozer or Noah for decent lengths of time to the number one seed when everyone thought MIA would win East put him on top. The social narrative is just as important as one's stats for MVP consideration. Curry will need a great story helping his cause in order to really contend for MVP.

OceanSpray
09-02-2013, 03:16 PM
He's gonna have to have another career year and a great story to back it up in order to win. Look at Rose, while he had great stats, the story of him leading the Bulls without Boozer or Noah for decent lengths of time to the number one seed when everyone thought MIA would win East put him on top. The social narrative is just as important as one's stats for MVP consideration. Curry will need a great story helping his cause in order to really contend for MVP.

Lol, Heat did win East.. technically speaking

heyman321
09-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Lebron, then Curry.

Dude are you crazy? It's Lebron, then Matt Bonner, THEN Curry. God how could you forget the Red Rocket?

flea
09-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Curry is not a bad dark horse for MVP. I like him about as well as I do Kyrie for it. Still think it's either Lebron or Durant though, because if healthy that's who it should be.

tredigs
09-02-2013, 04:44 PM
If he puts up something like 25/4/8 on 45/45/90 and breaks his own 3pt record while the Warriors sneak into HCA, it will make for a great combination of production + story line. And that's what MVP's are about. I'd give it about a ~15% chance.

Kuya_Clive
09-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Lol, Heat did win East.. technically speaking

The playoffs are irrelevant for regular season MVP

hotdalton18
09-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Lol no , good try tho

He has to be that good for a whole season not just a couple games..

And has to be even better if he wants the MVP

tredigs
09-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Lol no , good try tho

He has to be that good for a whole season not just a couple games..

And has to be even better if he wants the MVP
What couple games are you referring to?

TrueFan420
09-03-2013, 02:06 AM
What couple games are you referring to?

My guess is the playoffs cause he prob hasn't watched curry at all outside that and maybe college ball.