PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Magic with Shaq and C-Webb

arlubas
08-27-2013, 05:33 AM
This of course is referring to the draft day trade of Penny and Webber back in 1993. If that hadn't been done how do you think a team built around Shaq and C-Webb would have fared? Obviously the general perception is that 2 post up guys can't work together but Webber's game was so diverse and all-around that they truly could have made a contender out of that team imo.

Obviously the Magic of the 90s don't have Penny but they also don't sign Horace Grant and throw that money to some other quality starter (obviously a backcourt player). And while we're at it, does a team like that win the 1995 title or get by the Jordan Bulls in your opinion?

MagicBucsSox
08-27-2013, 06:54 AM
So should we act as if Penny Hardaway wasn't a top guard? They wouldn't advance with 2 big men who were only Dunkers at the time

arlubas
08-27-2013, 07:39 AM
So should we act as if Penny Hardaway wasn't a top guard? They wouldn't advance with 2 big men who were only Dunkers at the time
Webber was never just a dunker, not even in his rookie season with the Dubs.

And who exactly said Penny wasn't a top guard? Just act like he ended up in Golden State, where he was drafted.

OceanSpray
08-27-2013, 08:06 AM
Penny would've been the second or third greatest pg of all time had he been healthy. Serious potential plagued by injuries. People forget penny was the best pg of his time and was once a legit mvp contender

colinskik
08-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Penny would've been the second or third greatest pg of all time had he been healthy. Serious potential plagued by injuries. People forget penny was the best pg of his time and was once a legit mvp contender

That's not the point of discussion here.

I would've loved to see CWebb and Shaq on the court together. If Cwebb and Vlade were successful together, you could make the argument that CWebb and Shaq would've been even more successful.

ManRam
08-27-2013, 09:37 AM
This of course is referring to the draft day trade of Penny and Webber back in 1993. If that hadn't been done how do you think a team built around Shaq and C-Webb would have fared? Obviously the general perception is that 2 post up guys can't work together but Webber's game was so diverse and all-around that they truly could have made a contender out of that team imo.

Obviously the Magic of the 90s don't have Penny but they also don't sign Horace Grant and throw that money to some other quality starter (obviously a backcourt player). And while we're at it, does a team like that win the 1995 title or get by the Jordan Bulls in your opinion?

I'd rather have Penny and Horace than just CWebb. I think Shaq and CWebb could have coexisted, but Grant was such a great defender and valuable asset during those two great Magic years.

The team got to the Finals. The problem, moreso than Jordan, was that Shaq left.

NYCkid12
08-27-2013, 10:22 AM
I'd rather have Penny and Horace than just CWebb. I think Shaq and CWebb could have coexisted, but Grant was such a great defender and valuable asset during those two great Magic years.

The team got to the Finals. The problem, moreso than Jordan, was that Shaq left.

This exactly. And also, a lot of people forget game 1 of the Finals in 95', Magic were up 3 at the end of the game with a chance to put away the game and Nick Anderson missed 4 free throws in a row. We all know the rest Houston goes on to sweep. But you win game 1 and its a completely different series.

My point is with Penny we were already contenders, I don't see C-Webb making them that much better.

Hellcrooner
08-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Skiles, Dennis Scott, Nick Anderson, Webber, Shaq.
Thats what we are talking bout.

I find it too thin on talent on the back court.

Tony_Starks
08-27-2013, 11:27 AM
I don't think C Webb wouldve reached full potential playing with Shaq. He requires the ball too much. When C Webb reached his pinnacle he was a guy you run the offense through....

todu82
08-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Webber and Shaq would have been magic (pardon the pun) together. I got to think those 2 together could have won Orlando a title.

NYKnicks4511
08-27-2013, 11:36 AM
That's not the point of discussion here.

I would've loved to see CWebb and Shaq on the court together. If Cwebb and Vlade were successful together, you could make the argument that CWebb and Shaq would've been even more successful.

Vlade and Webber worked so well because they were truly elite passers for big men. Shaq and C-Webb could've definitely been a contender as well, but I don't think that it would've been an ideal fit as Shaq wasn't really known to be a good passer.

KnicksorBust
08-27-2013, 12:11 PM
People forget how deadly Webber was out of the high-post. Considering Webber got so much more out of his career than Penny I'd have to say a Shaq-Webber frontcourt had a higher ceiling. They already had the built in shooting and you could run the offense through C-Webb.

Corey
08-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Long term with Shaq and CWebb would have been lethal if they were able to surround them with shooters and defenders.

dee279
08-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Vlade and Webber worked so well because they were truly elite passers for big men. Shaq and C-Webb could've definitely been a contender as well, but I don't think that it would've been an ideal fit as Shaq wasn't really known to be a good passer.

Since when? I always thought Shaq was a good passer for a big man and I still stand on that thought as many others do i am sure. Shaq was not a bad passer at all.

arlubas
08-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Skiles, Dennis Scott, Nick Anderson, Webber, Shaq.
Thats what we are talking bout.

I find it too thin on talent on the back court.
Like I said on the original post, the money used for Horace Grant would've gone to some other key FA, most probably a guard.

Since when? I always thought Shaq was a good passer for a big man and I still stand on that thought as many others do i am sure. Shaq was not a bad passer at all.
Exactly. He wasn't as good as Webber obviously but Shaq knew when to pass the ball, especially as his career progressed.

DreamShaker
08-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Both Penny or C-Webb with Shaq would have won it all together eventually, if they stayed healthy.