PDA

View Full Version : Should Tracy McGrady be accepted into the Hall of Fame?

mrblisterdundee
08-26-2013, 06:35 PM
What do you think about Tracy McGrady's case for the Hall of Fame? He never won a championship or made it out of the first round as a star, but he had lots of other accomplishments:

• seven-time All-Star
• two-time scoring champion
• six times in top-10 MVP voting
• two-time All-NBA First Team
• three-time All-NBA Second Team
• two-time All-NBA Third Team
• 30.3 PER in 2002-03 (one of seven players to ever do so)
• at least third in PER 2001-04
• 60th in all-time scoring (18,381 points)
• 64th in all-time points per game (19.6)
• 28th all-time in PER (22.1)

abe_froman
08-26-2013, 06:38 PM
if i could redo the hall? probably not
but compared to those already in? he def should and ultimately think he will get in

Chronz
08-26-2013, 06:41 PM
**** the BS... If you are arguably one of the 4-5 best at your craft for a solid 5 years or so, thats worthy of the HOF. He gave the world 8ish quality years.... that should be enough given his injuries.

SugeKnight
08-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Yes

ACanadian
08-26-2013, 07:22 PM
No

Tony_Starks
08-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Hell yes. I'm shocked he's that low in all time scoring though, those injuries and time in China really screwed him.

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Yes

Aust
08-26-2013, 07:31 PM
**** the BS... If you are arguably one of the 4-5 best at your craft for a solid 5 years or so, thats worthy of the HOF. He gave the world 8ish quality years.... that should be enough given his injuries.

By craft you mean player right? Not position?

Hawkeye15
08-26-2013, 07:41 PM
for sure

smith&wesson
08-26-2013, 07:51 PM
tough call. he was a a beast!! too bad injuries held him back.

Chronz
08-26-2013, 08:22 PM
By craft you mean player right? Not position?

of course. His craft as an NBA player. For how poorly some remember him, you almost forget Tmac is someone whos amassed more All-NBA selections (with elite production to boot) than all but 39 players in history.

John Walls Era
08-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Not 1st ballot, but eventually he should make it.

But was Reggie Miller 1st Ballot??? Because Tmac in his prime was better than Reggie Miller.

Kashmir13579
08-26-2013, 08:35 PM
enough said

Iggz53
08-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Yes and there's really no doubt about it

TheNumber37
08-26-2013, 08:49 PM
He had HOF years... for sure. It's debatable.

I think he will get in because of his peak. If he had eased into a Grant hill type of solidarity and durability after injury, then he would be first ballot.

He will get in, but not the 1st or 2nd year of eligibility .

IKnowHoops
08-26-2013, 08:56 PM
what do you think about tracy mcgrady's case for the hall of fame? He never won a championship or made it out of the first round as a star, but he had lots of other accomplishments:

• seven-time all-star
• two-time scoring champion
• six times in top-10 mvp voting
• two-time all-nba first team
• three-time all-nba second team
• two-time all-nba third team
• 30.3 per in 2002-03 (one of seven players to ever do so)
• at least third in per 2001-04
• 60th in all-time scoring (18,381 points)
• 64th in all-time points per game (19.6)
• 28th all-time in per (22.1)

easily

DreamShaker
08-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Yes. The Finals appearance put it over the top. Lol. But for real...I think so, looking back now. He didnt win much, but had about as bad luck as you could have. I will always remember him during that 22 game win streak when he was playing 48 minutes a night withoutYao. Dude was a winner.

hidalgo
08-26-2013, 09:12 PM
yes, also Mitch Richmond, Kevin Johnson, Tim Hardaway, Buck Williams, & Shawn Kemp, to name a few. i'm more for putting guys in than keeping them out

Denverbronco007
08-26-2013, 09:16 PM
I don't think he had a hall of fame career.. No way

beasted86
08-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Yes, but probably not first ballot.

ThuglifeJ
08-26-2013, 09:21 PM

lmao at kobe in your sig. How boss does he think he needs to be at all times. Like why would he buy that vest 1. and 2 decide to wear it on black and with shades inside.

carlthack
08-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Since the basketball HOF is a relatively easy HOF to get into compared to other sports I think he will slide in there down the road on his 7th-10th ballot or something like that. If it were up to me I wouldnt put him in. Guys like Mitch Richmond and Tom Chambers are more deserving and should get in first.

DreamShaker
08-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Since the basketball HOF is a relatively easy HOF to get into compared to other sports I think he will slide in there down the road on his 7th-10th ballot or something like that. If it were up to me I wouldnt put him in. Guys like Mitch Richmond and Tom Chambers are more deserving and should get in first.

He was much better than both guys. And I'm a big Richmond guy.

ManRam
08-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Absolutely.

The ESPN.com poll early this day bummed me out. Like 66% of people said no.

He was an elite player, top 3-5 for a solid stretch there. The team success never was there, but most of the time that was because the team wasn't there either. A few disappointments in Houston doesn't negate how amazing of a player he was.

ManRam
08-26-2013, 09:59 PM

Please do elaborate.

McGrady has far more win shares, for a starting point.

McGrady: 7X AS, 2 1st team All-NBA, 7 All-NBA teams total, 2 time scoring champ, 28th all time in PER
Chambers: 4X AS, 2 2nd team-All NBA (nothing else), cracked the top 10 in PPG just twice, not top 100 in PER
Mitch: 6X AS, 5 time All-NBA (never 1st team), top 5 in ppg twice, not top 100 in PER

Honestly, your comment is just a joke. Richmond has a ring but it was the last year of his career and he played 2 minutes a game in the playoffs :laugh: A ring would help get him close to T-Mac's level, but that ring doesn't.

RLundi
08-26-2013, 10:06 PM
I don't think so.

carlthack
08-26-2013, 11:22 PM
Please do elaborate.

McGrady: 7X AS, 2 1st team All-NBA, 7 All-NBA teams total, 2 time scoring champ, 28th all time in PER
Chambers: 4X AS, 2 2nd team-All NBA (nothing else), cracked the top 10 in PPG just twice, not top 100 in PER
Mitch: 6X AS, 5 time All-NBA (never 1st team), top 5 in ppg twice, not top 100 in PER

Honestly, your comment is just a joke. Richmond has a ring but it was the last year of his career and he played 2 minutes a game in the playoffs :laugh: A ring would help get him close to T-Mac's level, but that ring doesn't.

Honestly your rant against my post is where the joke really is.

You brought up things like rings which I didnt even touch on and you probably read right past the part where I said that he would get in down the road. Obviously you're just an argument seeking jack-off so go argue with one of these other guys who are saying that he flat out won't get in.

ryang
08-27-2013, 01:10 AM
Absolutely.

scissors
08-27-2013, 01:31 AM
Honestly your rant against my post is where the joke really is.

You brought up things like rings which I didnt even touch on and you probably read right past the part where I said that he would get in down the road. Obviously you're just an argument seeking jack-off so go argue with one of these other guys who are saying that he flat out won't get in.

sorry dude but you got owned. You said they were more deserving and manram made amazing (and fairly easy/obvious) arguments against what you said. Rather than come back with supporting arguments you just insult him and his comment?

Bruno
08-27-2013, 01:31 AM
yes.

Bruno
08-27-2013, 01:35 AM
Please do elaborate.

they should both be in the hall.

diu9leilomo
08-27-2013, 01:49 AM
cant believe 30% of ppl say NO, this shouldnt even be a question

Jeffy25
08-27-2013, 01:54 AM
borderline in for me.

carlthack
08-27-2013, 02:10 AM
sorry dude but you got owned. You said they were more deserving and manram made amazing (and fairly easy/obvious) arguments against what you said. Rather than come back with supporting arguments you just insult him and his comment?

I dont have to debate with him about my opinion on Chambers/Richmond, its not my job to change or re-direct the subject. The question is should he get in and my answer is yes, down the road. He doesnt even realize that Im on his side as far as what this thread is all about.
Guys like him are argument seekers who only read what they want to read and everything else they see is brain-blocked. There are at least 3 other guys here (so far) who have said 'no' to the question and he doesnt say ******* to them. Maybe I was harsh but those type of guys get me heated.

JasonJohnHorn
08-27-2013, 03:02 AM
I am one of T-Mac harshest critics, but anybody who doesn't think this guy is a first ballot HOFer is just not aware of how talented he was. I think there was a degree of selfishness in his game, even when he was passing the ball, he wanted to be the one making the play... but he was SO talented that in most instances, his team was much better off with him hogging the ball....

He could have been legendary if he had the mentality of Duncan or Magic, but as it is, he ranks up there wiht great like Gervin easily.

All-In
08-27-2013, 04:26 AM
I’m not a McGrady fan…I don’t remember him as a great player because of his playoff failures…that just weighs on me too much… I’ve always thought he was overrated…..ultimately I think he gets in though…but what I will remember him for was what he did in the final seconds of a reg season game

All-In
08-27-2013, 04:29 AM
I dont have to debate with him about my opinion on Chambers/Richmond, its not my job to change or re-direct the subject. The question is should he get in and my answer is yes, down the road. He doesnt even realize that Im on his side as far as what this thread is all about.
Guys like him are argument seekers who only read what they want to read and everything else they see is brain-blocked. There are at least 3 other guys here (so far) who have said 'no' to the question and he doesnt say ******* to them. Maybe I was harsh but those type of guys get me heated.

or he just wants to talk sports with ya

Chronz
08-27-2013, 04:37 AM
I am one of T-Mac harshest critics, but anybody who doesn't think this guy is a first ballot HOFer is just not aware of how talented he was. I think there was a degree of selfishness in his game, even when he was passing the ball, he wanted to be the one making the play... but he was SO talented that in most instances, his team was much better off with him hogging the ball....

He could have been legendary if he had the mentality of Duncan or Magic, but as it is, he ranks up there wiht great like Gervin easily.

Tmac aint getting in bro, wake up

Chronz
08-27-2013, 04:37 AM

What makes Mitch Richmond so special?

PhillyFaninLA
08-27-2013, 04:59 AM
No, he was not special, he was very good for a while

arlubas
08-27-2013, 06:03 AM
It's the same discussion that can be held for VC as a HoF'er but in the end what it comes down to is what kind of perception each person has of a Hall of Famer. Judging by the other guys that have been let in I don't see any reason why T-Mac shouldn't be there, but personally I would've preferred if they had higher standards for the HoF and only let the truly unique guys (both in talent and longevity/career numbers & accomplishments).

bearadonisdna
08-27-2013, 06:41 AM
IMO yes but not necessarily 1st ballot. But it could be first ballot.

PurpleLynch
08-27-2013, 06:54 AM
Yes,but not in the 1st round due to injuries that ruined his career.But definitely yes.

Ps:don't bring the ring argument,there are a lot of Hof players without rings.

mike_noodles
08-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Only him and Iverson have multiple scoring titles and aren't in there. I say he gets in.

OceanSpray
08-27-2013, 07:49 AM
If it was me, hell no. I think you should at least win a mvp or ring(s) before you can be in the hof. But judging by the criteria, i wouldn't be surprised if tmac was a 1st ballot. A.I has more of a case than tmac, too.

PhillyFaninLA
08-27-2013, 07:55 AM

I never understand the not a first ballot guy arguement...you're either a hall of famer or your not...why should he get in ever if in your opinion he shouldn't be in first try

dnl123
08-27-2013, 07:57 AM
He's getting in, one of the best scorers of the early 2000's.

Heatcheck
08-27-2013, 03:46 PM

If you remember the crap he played with, especially in Orlando, it was him or nobody.

carlthack
08-27-2013, 04:37 PM
What makes Mitch Richmond so special?

Richmond should get in because he was one of the top scorers/shooters throughout the decade of the 90s. He was part of the run TMC in the late 80s/ early 90s. (Mullin is already in but I feel that the other part of that trio Tim Hardaway deserves to get in too) He was also ROY, 6x all star, all star MVP, 3x all-nba 2nd team, 2x all-nba 3rd team, olympic gold medal winner and was also a great player for Kansas State. College and international play is also included with HOF consideration because it is the basketball HOF, not the NBA HOF. If guys like Clyde Lovellette, Jim Pollard and Ed Macauley got in then so should Mitch.

Bruno
08-27-2013, 07:31 PM

no chance, it'll take him five years or longer.

he's an eventual lock but he won't get into until they have a down year in activity 5+ years after his eligibility begins.

UPRock
08-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Yep, him and Carter will get in.

RLundi
08-27-2013, 09:01 PM

I don't think he's a first ballot hall of famer. I actually don't think he should be in the hall of fame at all to be perfectly honest-- though he'll probably get in-- but idk how that would render me "unaware" of how talented he is when I watched him for close to half of his career while he was with my favorite team.

Catoblepas
08-27-2013, 09:43 PM
I personally feel that players who make the HOF should make it purely based upon their undeniable stamp left on the game. A unique skill set, unrelenting Defense,etc etc..

TMac in his prime is a player who we could compare future all stars to so yeah.. Just like AI. The next dominate small guy with heart might be compared to him as well.

rhino17
08-28-2013, 12:22 AM
I think some of the people voting no are too young to realize how ridiculous tmac used to be. Tmac was a top 5 player during a long stretch and his skill level could only be matched by Kobe. If only he had Kobe's drive.

Both Jeff van Gundy and carrol Dawson (longtime rockets coach from 80/ through t,acs tenure) have said that tmac had the highest bb iq of any player they had ever coached.

amos1er
08-28-2013, 01:17 AM
Foolish question. Obviously yes.

amos1er
08-28-2013, 01:17 AM
Who voted no? Lol

Clippersfan86
08-28-2013, 02:46 AM
Of course he should. When healthy for a few years there he had a case as best player in the NBA and that was with prime Shaq and Kobe around. People keep saying he didn't win but when you look at the talent he played with and the unfortunate circumstances of him and G Hill or him and Yao never being healthy for long stretches together, it's easy to understand.

Had Grant or Yao been healthy most of the time and Tmac himself stayed healthy I think he has at least 1 ring and a few conference finals appearances. Too bad he wanted his own team/shine. If him and Vince stayed together and sucked up the "I want to be THE man" stuff they could have won a ring or two together in Toronto.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-28-2013, 03:12 AM
lmao at kobe in your sig. How boss does he think he needs to be at all times. Like why would he buy that vest 1. and 2 decide to wear it on black and with shades inside.

colby brian is as free as a seagull

3rdCoastFan11
08-28-2013, 03:40 AM
He won't be first ballot but he was WAY too good to not get in eventually. Even with an injury riddled career. Healthy he was pretty damn near untouchable.

Ballperiodicals
08-28-2013, 11:33 AM
they should put him in today whats the wait for ?

Stinkyoutsider
08-28-2013, 12:24 PM
I voted yes. He was one of the best in his prime and in his era despite the injuries.

I think the bigger question is whether Grant Hill worthy of the hall? He had an injury plagued career like McGrady but was one of the best in the league while healthy...

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Meh, borderline for me. He's always been a perennial loser, but had a great peak.

OceanSpray
08-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Carter has more of a chance because he's the greatest dunker ever. Not sure how far that will get him but certainly more than T-Mac imo.

TheIlladelph16
08-29-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure the HOF voters are using dunking ability to evaluate who gets into the HOF, especially in a direct comparison of one or the other. T-Mac has a way better shot, and rightfully so, than Vince Carter does. I think both will get in though.

OceanSpray
08-30-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure the HOF voters are using dunking ability to evaluate who gets into the HOF, especially in a direct comparison of one or the other. T-Mac has a way better shot, and rightfully so, than Vince Carter does. I think both will get in though.

They do. Anything involving basketball achievements and impact is warranted. Vince carter was a top 10 player at a point of his career and his unking was nothing short of spectacular every time he was out there.

D-Leethal
08-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Yes. Hes got the credentials. If he didn't get in he would be the only dude with the combination of point-rebound-assist totals he compiled that wouldn't be in. Add in all the all star appearances, all NBA appearances, and back to back scoring titles and you have yourself a HOFer.

D-Leethal
08-30-2013, 04:26 PM
I think the induction of Bernard King bodes well for TMac.

ManRam
08-30-2013, 09:55 PM
No, he was not special, he was very good for a while

What was his 2002-03 season if it wasn't "special"?

Historic? ;)

NYMetros
08-30-2013, 11:16 PM
yeah.

TheIlladelph16
09-03-2013, 01:25 PM
They do. Anything involving basketball achievements and impact is warranted. Vince carter was a top 10 player at a point of his career and his unking was nothing short of spectacular every time he was out there.

Yeah we are gonna have to 100% disagree on that one. If the HOF voting committee is using dunk contests and cool dunks as a factor in determining that, they should have their voting rights taken away. I'm sorry but that's sounds so stupid.

JeremiahWing
09-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Borderline for me. The production is there, but what was TMacs moment? Does anyone know?

THE MTL
09-03-2013, 04:17 PM
I think longevity and influence on the game is where McGrady falls short. His career was cut short and he hasnt been out the first round (spurs dont count)

OceanSpray
09-05-2013, 02:55 AM
Yeah we are gonna have to 100% disagree on that one. If the HOF voting committee is using dunk contests and cool dunks as a factor in determining that, they should have their voting rights taken away. I'm sorry but that's sounds so stupid.

No, he revolutionized dunking. Sorry, don't blame me. If it were up to me, VC wouldn't even get a single second of thought. But think about the entire list of HOF'ers and you'll know that there are a crapload of people who don't belong.

FlashBolt
09-05-2013, 03:07 AM
No, if T-Mac makes it, the standards for basketball Hall of Fame would drop. Allen Iverson has a case, T-Mac no.

TheIlladelph16
09-05-2013, 01:38 PM
No, he revolutionized dunking. Sorry, don't blame me. If it were up to me, VC wouldn't even get a single second of thought. But think about the entire list of HOF'ers and you'll know that there are a crapload of people who don't belong.

Yeah VC didn't revolutionize dunking man, but whatever. Not blaming you. I just think your absolutely incorrect on the dunk contest even being a factor in HOF voting.

todu82
09-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Yeah he should. Guy played solid basketball for a long time.

3RDASYSTEM
09-05-2013, 10:12 PM
If T-Mac feels that his game was comparable to Kobe’s, that must mean he believed he could have won multiple championships with Shaquille O’Neal as well. “We would have had a great run,” he said when asked about Shaq. “I don’t know how many but, I know it would have never ended like it did with he and Kobe. I have a great relationship with Shaq. We would have never clashed heads like that. Two Alpha dogs going at there will always be (something going on
Read more at http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#fvhAS4bYRqiFvgjJ.99

I tried to tell everybody that 2 alpha males can co exist since the beginning of time but when you force yourself into a alpha role its clearly you came from a 'backupguard' role, or backup interior player role

its natural if you are an alpha or robin type, natural as the earth

JordansBulls
10-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Hell yes, how is this even a question. He should be unanimous.

goku
10-10-2013, 12:57 AM

I thought u were dead

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-10-2013, 12:39 PM
No, he has the worst resume of any superstar in league history.

ManningToTyree
10-10-2013, 12:56 PM

Glad to see you are alive JB.

SanPitte
10-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Bill Walton had 3-4 hall of fame years and he got in...If he and Adrian Dantley are hall of famers, T-Mac should be one too
and, he scored 13 points in 38 seconds

Chronz
10-10-2013, 02:07 PM
lol @ jb's classic tmac bump. no better way to find out your still alive than to read this thread.

Chronz
10-10-2013, 02:10 PM

Oh look, you actually found a topic where you can regurgitate your claims without it being irrelevant to the discussion at hand. CONGRATZ! You may become an intelligent poster yet.

The next stop (beyond regurgitation) is to combat what OTHERS have said. Add substance to your claims by backing it with more than conjecture or by refuting others.

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Oh look, you actually found a topic where you can regurgitate your claims without it being irrelevant to the discussion at hand. CONGRATZ! You may become an intelligent poster yet.

The next stop (beyond regurgitation) is to combat what OTHERS have said. Add substance to your claims by backing it with more than conjecture or by refuting others.

Just wanted to hurt your feelings some more;)

Anyways, yeah he should be a HOFer one day, but not first ballot.

koreancabbage
10-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Just wanted to hurt your feelings some more;)

Anyways, yeah he should be a HOFer one day, but not first ballot.

buahaha. totally contradicts what you just said up there.

Chronz
10-10-2013, 04:46 PM
buahaha. totally contradicts what you just said up there.

He was trolling me when he said that. Im sure he recognizes the contradiction of being labeled a superstar yet not being HOF worthy.

koreancabbage
10-10-2013, 05:01 PM
He was trolling me when he said that. Im sure he recognizes the contradiction of being labeled a superstar yet not being HOF worthy.

you give him too much credit.