PDA

View Full Version : Tracy McGrady is retiring.

asandhu23
08-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Just saw it on Twitter. ESPN First Take.

asandhu23
08-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Someone link it. I am off to class.

Chronz
08-26-2013, 10:59 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9601279/tracy-mcgrady-retires-nba-overseas-next

He retired last year too

therealwd27
08-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Solid career riddled by injuries.

In before in turns into a LeBron bashing thread

KingsOfQueens
08-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Will/Should go down as one of the most underrated players the game has seen.

I love Kobe, but honestly in each of their primes, I think T-Mac may have been better. Mac was a better passer, rebounder, defender and was just as good on the offensive end.

Shame he still isn't in the game competing with the likes of Kobe, Duncan, KG, Pierce and even his cousin Vince Carter.

Hats off to you, Tracy. You were a pleasure to watch.

SteBO
08-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Maybe I'm being unfair, but give me a couple years, and maybe then I'll revisit this thread and chime in on his playing career....this is one road I've already driven on.

diu9leilomo
08-26-2013, 11:48 AM
AI retired, now Tmac. All the early 2000 greats are disappearing, whos next?!?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Someone hook up JB with suicide watch

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-26-2013, 11:53 AM
AI retired, now Tmac. All the early 2000 greats are disappearing, whos next?!?

Mike james?

Blink
08-26-2013, 12:04 PM
One of my favorite players to ever watch. In one of the best eras of the nba

bstnfn34
08-26-2013, 12:07 PM
nice career, too bad for injuries always leave us with the what if.

Stinkyoutsider
08-26-2013, 12:16 PM
The question I would like to see answered: Is Tracy McGrady hall of fame worthy?

We all know he had major injuries but he had a great NBA career besides that.

If McGrady made it to the hall, would we then need to pose the same question about Grant Hill?

diu9leilomo
08-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Mike james?

Only after Kobe retires

Chronz
08-26-2013, 12:32 PM
The question I would like to see answered: Is Tracy McGrady hall of fame worthy?

If McGrady made it to the hall, would we then need to pose the same question about Grant Hill?

We live in a world where its more impressive for a young man to play against other kids than it is watching a phenom hold his own against grown men, for this reason his lack of an amateur career will hurt him in the HOF.

He also lacks the Olympic/FIBA career to offset that, but I hope the voters realize WHY Tmac couldn't participate. Its not like he didn't try, the guy was part of the crew that was suppose to reassert USA dominance, he was on the team that I consider the best we ever sent internationally, the 03 Tourney of Americas team. But he had to come back early due to back spasms and never again participated in that.

So unlike Grant Hill, he lacks the peripheral support, Hill was on Dream Team III and had a fabulous career at Duke. Hes in for sure.

Tmac's best hope is that his work in China will give him some of that external support.

JayW_1023
08-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Hall of Famer? If Bernard King is in so should T-Mac.

Sly Guy
08-26-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't think he is. But he was far more talented than other in there. His resume just isn't up to par.

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Chronz needs to be placed on suicide watch immediately.

abe_froman
08-26-2013, 01:58 PM

7 time all star,mip award,about 100 career ws,a top 25 peak of all time.he'll get in.

grant hill is def going in to.

diu9leilomo
08-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Hey guys, I need some clarification for the term "retiring".

Does it mean the guy will never come back to play? Or does it mean the guy just taking a break?
Guys like MJ, Brandon Roy, Rasheed Wallace had come back from retiring before...so retiring is not really retiring....:confused:

My guess is that someday, we will see AI and TMAC on the court again

ManRam
08-26-2013, 02:36 PM
:worthy:

rjkgr
08-26-2013, 02:37 PM
aw now i wished he would have won a ring with the spurs haha

asandhu23
08-26-2013, 03:59 PM
T-Mac will get in the Hall.

SportsFanatic10
08-26-2013, 04:04 PM
great player, could of had such an amazing career if health didn't get in the way so much. one of the games best scorers when healthy. hope he handles retirement well.

jericho
08-26-2013, 04:13 PM
One of my fav players ever. I will always remember that game against the Spurs.

ThuglifeJ
08-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Will/Should go down as one of the most underrated players the game has seen.

I love Kobe, but honestly in each of their primes, I think T-Mac may have been better. Mac was a better passer, rebounder, defender and was just as good on the offensive end.

Shame he still isn't in the game competing with the likes of Kobe, Duncan, KG, Pierce and even his cousin Vince Carter.

Hats off to you, Tracy. You were a pleasure to watch.

+1

MrfadeawayJB
08-26-2013, 06:15 PM
A Shame he was injured a lot

ManRam
08-26-2013, 06:24 PM
A Shame he was injured a lot

As it was a shame Grant Hill was injured a lot.

ThuglifeJ
08-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Lez be real tho. 13 points in 30 seconds and steal + game winner was one of the best sports moments in history.

Just one if those dream like scrnerios not even a movie would put in there script. It was that epic seeing it live

Chronz
08-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Lez be real tho. 13 points in 30 seconds and steal + game winner was one of the best sports moments in history.

Just one if those dream like scrnerios not even a movie would put in there script. It was that epic seeing it live

Yea those kind of moments are surreal, definitely one of those moments where you absolutely remember where you were watching it. Whats so disturbing is that Tmac had a pretty awful game by his standards, it was just so dramatic. Mac should've took the roids

ThuglifeJ
08-26-2013, 06:53 PM

Yea those kind of moments are surreal, definitely one of those moments where you absolutely remember where you were watching it. Whats so disturbing is that Tmac had a pretty awful game by his standards, it was just so dramatic. Mac should've took the roids

Honestly tmac and cousin Vince in their prime would do that all the time..have a bad game then leave on a buzzer beater. They just had that trait about them.

and Tmac + roids = Lebron. but twice the scoring ability if his touch remains the same

Kashmir13579
08-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Say it aint so!

John Walls Era
08-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Wasn't the last time he played in 2008? Hes making it official now?

ThuglifeJ
08-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Wasn't the last time he played in 2008? Hes making it official now?

Um. He just recently led an underdog Spurs team to the NBA finals and was the sole reason they almost won it all. where were you?

OceanSpray
08-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Great player but not hof worthy imo. I can name 50 players who are hof worthy over tmac easy

RaiderLakersA's
08-27-2013, 02:51 PM
T-Mac definitely had his moment, but time and time again we keep coming back to all of the missed opportunities. On one hand, he had a season or two where he was arguably one of the top 2-3 in the league. And yet on the other hand, he didn't really define an era or redefine the game. I think he will get into the Hall, but I could also see casual NBA fans in general forgetting about his exploits -- and name recognition aside -- not really knowing anything about him or his game 2-3 years from now.

Chronz
08-27-2013, 03:15 PM
T-Mac definitely had his moment, but time and time again we keep coming back to all of the missed opportunities. On one hand, he had a season or two where he was arguably one of the top 2-3 in the league. And yet on the other hand, he didn't really define an era or redefine the game. I think he will get into the Hall, but I could also see casual NBA fans in general forgetting about his exploits -- and name recognition aside -- not really knowing anything about him or his game 2-3 years from now.

Should be interesting to see how time changes perception. I've been reading the articles on Tmac's HOF candidacy and it seems to me more and more people are beginning to buy his case. Those aren't casual fans tho, I really dont know what defines a casual fan but my guess would be, a fan of limited insight into the sport he views. Which may be culturally relevant but shouldn't be anything to be ashamed of. He will be remembered by his contemporaries and true historians of the game. Guys like Durant and Kobe will talk about him in positive light during the ensuing years, KD will speak of how he studied Tmac's demeanor and skillset as he already has. His shoes are still being worn to this day on NBA courts, granted nothing like MJ but he had a decent set of kicks. Hes building a giant brand in China, where his 13 in 33 is practically an annual celebration. Dude has made a dent in the basketball world, and as a human being, you'd be hard pressed to find many more unselfish scorers on the court and a true humanitarian star off the court.

RaiderLakersA's
08-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Should be interesting to see how time changes perception. I've been reading the articles on Tmac's HOF candidacy and it seems to me more and more people are beginning to buy his case. Those aren't casual fans tho, I really dont know what defines a casual fan but my guess would be, a fan of limited insight into the sport he views. Which may be culturally relevant but shouldn't be anything to be ashamed of. He will be remembered by his contemporaries and true historians of the game. Guys like Durant and Kobe will talk about him in positive light during the ensuing years, KD will speak of how he studied Tmac's demeanor and skillset as he already has. His shoes are still being worn to this day on NBA courts, granted nothing like MJ but he had a decent set of kicks. Hes building a giant brand in China, where his 13 in 33 is practically an annual celebration. Dude has made a dent in the basketball world, and as a human being, you'd be hard pressed to find many more unselfish scorers on the court and a true humanitarian star off the court.

Well put.

OceanSpray
08-30-2013, 04:33 PM
I'm shocked to see that more people care about AI's retirement than T-Mac. I always felt T-Mac was the better player.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-30-2013, 07:27 PM
I hope we retire his jersey this year.

kdspurman
08-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Nice read here on T-Mac...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9616069/the-unfortunate-tale-t-mac

JordansBulls
10-10-2013, 12:19 AM
This guy was awesome. I wish he got his title last year. Damn you Ray Allen.