PDA

View Full Version : Could Iverson have thrived on any of the past Championship teams?

rocketfuel
08-26-2013, 03:30 AM
Jordan Bulls
Shaq Lakers
Showtime Lakers
Spurs
Lebron Heat
etc.

Yes, he's controversial, but in his prime, he was so dominant.

Marlins97and03
08-26-2013, 04:26 AM
he would have been able to extend his career as a scorer off the bench but unfortunately never wanted to accept that role

DreamShaker
08-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Spurs with Duncan if he listened to Pop.

KnickaBocka.44
08-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Spurs with Duncan if he listened to Pop.

:rolleyes:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Of course not, he's an inefficient, undersized, chucker, with stupid tattoos, pistol whips people, and doesn't practice.

b@llhog24
08-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Of course not, he's an inefficient, undersized, chucker, with stupid tattoos, pistol whips people, and doesn't practice.

Pretty much this.

hugepatsfan
08-26-2013, 10:24 AM
No IMO. He just never played championship style basketball. Perfect example of how the best individual players and talents doesn't necessarily make for the best basketball team.

KingPosey
08-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Sure he could have, if he changed his game, attitude, and wasnt the first or second option.

ztilzer31
08-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Jordan Bulls
Shaq Lakers
Showtime Lakers
Spurs
Lebron Heat
etc.

So are you asking replace a player with Iverson? If so which one? Showtime Lakers? Are you saying add Iverson to what they already had?

You need to explain your post better. So far it doesn't make that much sense.

2-ONE-5
08-26-2013, 11:01 AM

wow you should be banned from posting

b@llhog24
08-26-2013, 11:04 AM

Or you could brush up on your sarcasm.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-26-2013, 12:27 PM

LOL GTFOH. I'm the biggest AI fan on this website...

DreamShaker
08-26-2013, 04:25 PM
:rolleyes:

Hey...I know it's far fetched, but he could have adjusted his game and won there. It's not like he was a scrub.

SportsFanatic10
08-26-2013, 04:27 PM
if he's in his prime then maybe, but there would definitely be chemistry concerns and he'd have to learn to be more of a team player and sacrifice some shots and embrace defense without constantly gambling for steals. but obviously his talent was amazing. the older AI well i think teams were smart to stay away from him since he didn't embrace a bench role and was still about the name on the back and not the front.

Heatcheck
08-26-2013, 04:32 PM
i can see a problem with at least one key figure in all those teams. Pop, Shaq, Jordan, and Lebron.

KnickaBocka.44
08-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Hey...I know it's far fetched, but he could have adjusted his game and won there. It's not like he was a scrub.

The main criticism many have of Iverson is that he was unwilling to change his game. Assuming he would have done so changes him entirely. Based on what we know, that wouldn't have happened. Popovich wasn't an established head coach at that point either so that wouldn't have played a part.

Eagles710
08-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Iverson Sucked!!!

27 PPG SUCKS
HE NEVER PASSED THE BALL ... he only Avg 6.2 Assists for his career on a VERY bad 76er team

and all these horrible things he did in the Nba ?

2001 MVP
9 Time All Star ... 2 time All star MVP
4 Time Scoring Champion
3 Time Steals Leader
3 time All Nba 1st time
Rookie of the year

Problem with this site is ... There are wayyyy to many 12-16 year olds that watch to much espn... and think Iverson was a bad player .

He could have fit well with the spurs to answer your question btw lol

Dade County
08-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I think if Pat could have pulled off that trade for AI, instead of Denver... Iverson would have 2 rings right now. This would have saved D Wade from the injury problems he had after the 1st title run.

AI could have handled that 2007 bulls playoff team (if Wade was hurt, because maybe if AI is on the team, Wade doesn't have to take the full load, and that might have saved his leg), they still might not have won that year (but they would have beaten the Cav's and met up with the Spurs in the Finals); but they would have won 1 more title maybe in 2009 or 2010 (whatever Laker & Boston fans... lol).

And if AI was still on the team when Lbj gave Dallas a title (as a back up role player of course), AI might have said F that **** & just took over (maybe that would have been a bad thing... IDK).

http://www.alleniversonlive.com/tag/pat-riley/

abe_froman
08-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Jordan Bulls
Shaq Lakers
Showtime Lakers
Spurs
Lebron Heat
etc.

i'm guessing you mean as top player/primary scorer? i cant see him taking a back seat to anyone scoring duty wise nor any of the teams you named looking to him to surplant the top scorer,so something defense first like a '04 pistons would be the best bet

b@llhog24
08-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Iverson Sucked!!!

27 PPG SUCKS
HE NEVER PASSED THE BALL ... he only Avg 6.2 Assists for his career on a VERY bad 76er team

2001 MVP
4 Time Scoring Champion
3 Time Steals Leader
3 time All Nba 1st time
Rookie of the year

Problem with this site is ... There are wayyyy to many 12-16 year olds that watch to much espn... and think Iverson was a bad player .

Espn would have you thinking AI was a superstar.

phoenix_bladen
08-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Yes talent wise he definitely could.

U pair him up with prime shaq u telling me they wouldn't win?

Of course that's if he bought into the system and changed his attitude, maybe be 2nd option if asked.

During his later years coming off the bench would have helped contenders, unfortunately he didn't want to do that. It's a shame really.... Iverson was a really good player.

king4day
08-26-2013, 11:26 PM
The problem would have been, could he have kept his head on straight not being THE man. I think that, knowing there's a real chance to win some rings, he would have found a way.

JLynn943
08-26-2013, 11:39 PM
He absolutely could have flourished on those teams. All you have to do is look at his time in Denver to see that he changed his game when he played with other highly capable offensive players. His efficiency went way up, he got a lot of assists, and probably had his best year there. Put him on those championship teams and he would have done great.

SpeeMN
08-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Iverson stepping over Tyronn Lue after hitting that 3 was just so amazing.

If you don't know what I'm talking about.... Don't talk about Iverson.

Put him on the Lakers instead of Kobe, Miami instead of Wade, Dallas instead of Kidd/Terry, or the Spurs instead of Parker/Ginobili and he has a championship or 3.

Hell, when Garnett was asking for him on the Wolves, we would have been unbelievable with Iverson and Garnett plus whoever. My 2 favorite players.

carlthack
08-27-2013, 12:50 AM
Jordan Bulls
Shaq Lakers
Showtime Lakers
Spurs
Lebron Heat
etc.

Im not exactly sure what this question is even asking. Obviously he wouldve thrived on any of those teams because they are championship winning teams after all, everybody was thriving on those teams.
Maybe he wouldnt have thrived the way he wouldve wanted to (instead of 25 fg attempts per game it wouldve been more like 10-12) but he wouldve been a champion therefore his legacy wouldve been much more memorable.

MTar786
08-27-2013, 01:12 AM
AI could have been an all time great scoring machine 6th man player. kobes lakers could have used him in that role if he was able to play that role. duncans early 2000 spurs could have used him like that too. the pistons would have loved having a player like that.

but no.. he wanted to be a 48 minute chucker.

i still feel psd gives him less credit than he deserves though

MTar786
08-27-2013, 01:13 AM
i think an amazing team would be a defensive juggernaut with an ai 6th man kinda player.

MTar786
08-27-2013, 01:15 AM
Iverson Sucked!!!

27 PPG SUCKS

2001 MVP
4 Time Scoring Champion
3 Time Steals Leader
3 time All Nba 1st time
Rookie of the year

my opinion about AI's downfall is not so much his offense than it is his size. the only way ai could be used on ur team in a not so negative way is if you have a 6'5+ point guard with good defensive skills on the team. so you can have ai play shooting guard and still be able to guard the opposing teams point guard on the other end. if that doesnt happen then your team isnt getting much better by the addition of ai. and thats why i feel ai would have been a GOAT 6th man kinda player

Jeffy25
08-27-2013, 01:38 AM
Unless he went to a team that had several role players just rebounding and cutting all the time with great defense, he wasn't going to win a championship with his style of play.

Could he have accepted being the second or third option?

Maybe if he was paired with prime Shaq and didn't have any other scorers on the team.

I just don't see how he could have ever done it with the way he wanted to play.

rocketfuel
08-27-2013, 02:22 AM
Could Iverson have played a combo/point guard role with the Shaq/Kobe, Jordan/Pippen, Lebron/Wade...? He was an amazing scorer in that shooting guard spot...but what if he had to adjust his game to play with those stars as a scoring point guard (Iverson/Kobe/Shaq or Iverson/Jordan/Pippen or Iverson/Ginobli/Duncan or Iverson/Lebron/Wade? I always wondered how Iverson would have looked if he was part of a superteam... Personality wise, I don't think he would really have clashed with Lebron/Wade, Shaq or even Jordan. He probably frustrated his coaches, but I think he would have gotten along with those guys. (Please no stuff about the cap, feasibility, this is purely a hypothetical fantasy question about Iverson's individual style of game being an asset or deficit to a collection of superstar talents)

RiceOnTheRun
08-27-2013, 02:35 AM
If we're talking skill-wise, he could probably keep up with any team in any era past/present/future.

Chemistry-wise, he would've needed to be the alpha dog no matter what. It would take some brilliant coaching to mesh him with 1-2 other superstars.

bearadonisdna
08-27-2013, 02:36 AM
Um so if u replaced mario chalmers with iverson yeah he would thrive.
AI- "Hey is that backseat comfortable lebron"

rocketfuel
08-27-2013, 03:49 AM
Would he really be so inflexible as to not want to adapt his game with Jordan/Lebron/Shaq/Kobe? It would almost be impossible to guard if he was added to the mix and you have to deal with Iverson as the 3rd guy.

5ass
08-27-2013, 03:49 AM
Kidd/Iverson
Iverson/Stevenson
Marion
Dirk
Chandler

OceanSpray
08-27-2013, 07:57 AM
Um so if u replaced mario chalmers with iverson yeah he would thrive.
AI- "Hey is that backseat comfortable lebron"
Are you implying that lebron would be 1b? Lmao, that is even more ludicrous than... God knows what. Anytime you have a player of ai's caliber, they are going to succeed in any generation of basketball. I dont know why people act like other generations ar far greater.. It really isnt. AI's natural talent would take him far but it was his lack of basketball intelligence that caused his downfall. He was an inefficient, egotistic, and a me me me player. They dont go too far.

Ballperiodicals
08-28-2013, 11:45 AM
2000 lakers replace kobe with A.I. Shaq+AI= 9 rings and entertainment

Stinkyoutsider
08-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Yup, I think he could have made it with any of those teams...

The thing about Iverson is, he was asked by the 76ers to completely carry them offensively and he did just that. The Sixers front office just couldn't get it done as far as putting an equal quality player with leadership qualities around him.

With his talent, they put him in a position of leadership, which he struggled with. But, with those teams listed above, he would have equals he could play with and play off of. He would have been successful.

I can't name any superstar quality players who could win a title with his best teammates being Eric Snow and Aaron Mckie...

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Jordan Bulls
Shaq Lakers
Showtime Lakers
Spurs
Lebron Heat
etc.

The Spurs, Ai and Timmy would have been fighting the Lakers out for rings.

ILLUSIONIST^248
08-28-2013, 12:44 PM
2000 lakers replace kobe with A.I. Shaq+AI= 9 rings and entertainment

... I hope this is a joke?

TheMightyHumph
08-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Would he really be so inflexible as to not want to adapt his game with Jordan/Lebron/Shaq/Kobe? It would almost be impossible to guard if he was added to the mix and you have to deal with Iverson as the 3rd guy.

Could Iverson deal with Iverson as third man?

He outscored 'Melo in Denver, and got traded to become a bench player.

TheMightyHumph
08-28-2013, 12:46 PM
... I hope this is a joke?

Yeah, I think it is.

bearadonisdna
08-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Replace ron harper with Iverson. Damn.

D-Leethal
08-28-2013, 01:46 PM
If he allowed himself to be coached by Pop I think he could definitely thrive Tony Parkers role. I see a lot of similarities between the playing style of the two.

D-Leethal
08-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Iverson in the triangle offense is like oil and water.

TheMightyHumph
08-28-2013, 02:13 PM
If he allowed himself to be coached by Pop I think he could definitely thrive Tony Parkers role. I see a lot of similarities between the playing style of the two.

If he allowed Larry Brown to coach him, who knows what might have happened.

TheMightyHumph
08-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Replace ron harper with Iverson. Damn.

Tell us the results of the first Kobe-Iverson fight.

Clippersfan86
08-28-2013, 03:21 PM
I could easily see him working with Shaq on the 00-03 Lakers teams. He was great at driving and dishing and him and Shaq would have demolished teams.

TheMightyHumph
08-28-2013, 03:26 PM
I could easily see him working with Shaq on the 00-03 Lakers teams. He was great at driving and dishing and him and Shaq would have demolished teams.

Sadly, we'll never know if that's true

Triple_Ocho
08-28-2013, 03:32 PM

uh... he said nothing untrue...

bearadonisdna
08-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Tell us the results of the first Kobe-Iverson fight.

Not sure i know what you mean.

TheMightyHumph
08-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Not sure i know what you mean.

You're talking about replacing Ron Harper with AI on the Lakers?

bearadonisdna
08-28-2013, 03:50 PM
You're talking about replacing Ron Harper with AI on the Lakers?

No. bulls.

Trueblue2
08-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Or you could brush up on your sarcasm.

Lol someone actually agreed with you.

I think if he went to DET in 04 he could have thrived as a #1 option for Chauncy + playing with rip/prince/sheed/gordon. That team would have been absolutely nasty. He would have had a team full of players that can score, defend, and space the floor but dont demand the ball. They could have won multiple chips.

Clippersfan86
08-28-2013, 04:01 PM
I mainly see him working on those 00-03 Lakers teams because outside of Shaq+Kobe (which in this case would be Shaq+Iverson) nobody dominated the ball. He could still take 25 shots a game with Shaq still getting his 20+ probably because none of those role players like Horry, Fisher, Fox etc took many shots or tried to dominate games. Defensively they would be a little bit worse but they would have still won 2 of those 3 rings IMO.

Clippersfan86
08-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Lol someone actually agreed with you.

I think if he went to DET in 04 he could have thrived as a #1 option for Chauncy + playing with rip/prince/sheed/gordon. That team would have been absolutely nasty. He would have had a team full of players that can score, defend, and space the floor but dont demand the ball. They could have won multiple chips.

Oh nice pick. Replace Chauncey with AI and they may be just as good or better considering none of those guys particularly loved taking big shots.

TheMightyHumph
08-28-2013, 04:02 PM
No. bulls.

You think that makes the Bulls better?

Chronz
08-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Oh nice pick. Replace Chauncey with AI and they may be just as good

AI could replace RIP, but nobody replaces Billups.

or better considering none of those guys particularly loved taking big shots.
You do realize that Billups got the name Big Shot Billups because he loved those shots.... no of course not...

Chronz
08-28-2013, 05:06 PM

Chauncey wasn't the #1 option. Rip would suffer without him, as would Prince. Gordon was never on those teams and those players didn't demand the ball but they still required touches.

Clippersfan86
08-28-2013, 05:15 PM
AI could replace RIP, but nobody replaces Billups.

You do realize that Billups got the name Big Shot Billups because he loved those shots.... no of course not...

Or RIP. Either way I see a potential fit.

Sly Guy
08-28-2013, 07:23 PM
I think his best fit would be the '04 pistons championship team.

KingstonHawke
08-28-2013, 07:26 PM
I don't think people realize how good Iverson was. I could see him thriving on most of those teams. He could be the starting PG on any of those teams. A lot of his "chucking" was due to the team around him. You let him sit in the corner and shoot wide open threes all day and he could excel at that. And then when your other star sits, he could take over the offense completely.

Obviously none of those would be ideal fits... but Wade isn't an ideal fit with the current Heat and he has won back to back rings.

TheMightyHumph
08-28-2013, 07:35 PM
I don't think people realize how good Iverson was. I could see him thriving on most of those teams. He could be the starting PG on any of those teams. A lot of his "chucking" was due to the team around him. You let him sit in the corner and shoot wide open threes all day and he could excel at that. And then when your other star sits, he could take over the offense completely.

Obviously none of those would be ideal fits... but Wade isn't an ideal fit with the current Heat and he has won back to back rings.

So you want Iverson to be starting PG on one of those Title teams and expect him to stand in the corner and hit threes all day.

You have quite an imagination.

mrblisterdundee
08-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Allen Iverson would have needed an offensively and defensively dominant big man in their prime, such as Shaquille O'Neal or Tim Duncan, to win a championship. He could be the second-best player on a championship team, and even the top scorer, but he couldn't be the leader. He'd also have to improve his role as the point guard, feeding said big man.

TheMightyHumph
08-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Allen Iverson would have needed an offensively and defensively dominant big man in their prime, such as Shaquille O'Neal or Tim Duncan, to win a championship. He could be the second-best player on a championship team, and even the top scorer, but he couldn't be the leader. He'd also have to improve his role as the point guard, feeding said big man.

Iverson needed a rebounding bigman (one with a good outlet pass would be ideal) and someone to protect the rim.

meloman1592
08-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Yes easily

OaklandsFinest
08-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Do you guys ever think he was inefficient because of the style he was forced to play? Perhaps in a better system and better talent he would have been the best point guard ever. His vision was never doubted, neither was his passing, and his ability to get in the paint is unparalleled. I mean I'm just saying if Stephen Jackson won in San Antonio Iverson definitely can't be ruled out.

OaklandsFinest
08-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Iverson on the T Wolves with KG is a ring

TheMightyHumph
08-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Do you guys ever think he was inefficient because of the style he was forced to play? Perhaps in a better system and better talent he would have been the best point guard ever. His vision was never doubted, neither was his passing, and his ability to get in the paint is unparalleled. I mean I'm just saying if Stephen Jackson won in San Antonio Iverson definitely can't be ruled out.

AI was 'forced' to play that style? By whom? Sixers were ready to trade AI because of the style he played.

Cap'n Jack was a role player on his Title team, and Spurs made absolutely no attempt to re-sign him. And The Cap'n played defense.

TheMightyHumph
08-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Iverson on the T Wolves with KG is a ring

Cassell fit so much better.

Iverson and Sprewell would have been interesting to watch, though.

icon1914
08-28-2013, 10:29 PM
If he accepted his role in Memphis things might have really went well for him...

TheMightyHumph
08-28-2013, 10:33 PM
If he accepted his role in Memphis things might have really went well for him...

He couldn't. Too big an ego and too self-important.

krazylegz
08-28-2013, 11:32 PM
dont be silly,david stern hated allen iverson and wouldnt have let him thrive anywhere

TheMightyHumph
08-28-2013, 11:50 PM
dont be silly,david stern hated allen iverson and wouldnt have let him thrive anywhere

If you are responding to me (and if you're not, you should use the 'reply with quote' function). you should do a little more research into the Memphis scenario.

OceanSpray
08-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Which raises the question, prime AI or prime Kobe? I like Kobe but I understand the theory of AI. The biggest criticism I have regarding AI is the fact that he never grew the hell up and even today, seems to lack proper management. There can only be so many excuses for one player. There's a reason no team wanted to sign him despite the fact he could still put up 15+ and maybe the occasional 25+. It's the fact that he had horrible work ethic and couldn't extinguish that a team is always more than just AI.

kblo247
08-30-2013, 05:11 PM
There's just Larry's Pistons. I don't see him fitting on either 3 peat Bulls team, Shaqs Heat or Lakers, Kobe's Lakers, Boston, or new Miami. Maybe just maybe Dallas

kblo247
08-30-2013, 05:16 PM
Shaq couldn't get along with Van Exel or Eddie, when they were young, hell got along better with Kobe till he blew up so he would've choked AI

OceanSpray
08-30-2013, 05:25 PM
There's just Larry's Pistons. I don't see him fitting on either 3 peat Bulls team, Shaqs Heat or Lakers, Kobe's Lakers, Boston, or new Miami. Maybe just maybe Dallas

No no.. Shaq's heat? No no

SeoulBeatz
08-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Iverson was certainly a me-first player but that didn't stop players from wanting to team up with him.

Shaq for one, said he'd love to play with A.I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB6zGaoYYN8

(and the respect was mutual) what a combination that might've been....

TheMightyHumph
08-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Shaq tells a lot of lies.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Nope can't see it

bagwell368
08-30-2013, 09:42 PM

Really?

Look at Iverson's minutes played & USG% vs his AST numbers. He didn't think like a PG, he played and thought like a SG.

His passing was infrequent compared to great PG's.

bagwell368
08-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Iverson was certainly a me-first player but that didn't stop players from wanting to team up with him.

Shaq for one, said he'd love to play with A.I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB6zGaoYYN8

(and the respect was mutual) what a combination that might've been....

Shaq is a motor mouth, he's said just about everything in his day. Means nothing or next to nothing.

jayjay33
08-30-2013, 09:48 PM
After he left the sixers he should have been a 6th man in a really good team. he would have been awesome. Hell he could still be a good 6th man. Why can't old stars get a camp invite just let them compete for a job.

I don't think a.i would ask for anymore than that. Just let him play for a spot.

rocket
08-30-2013, 09:53 PM

arth do was kidding

TheMightyHumph
08-30-2013, 11:20 PM
After he left the sixers he should have been a 6th man in a really good team. he would have been awesome. Hell he could still be a good 6th man. Why can't old stars get a camp invite just let them compete for a job.

I don't think a.i would ask for anymore than that. Just let him play for a spot.

Like with the Grizzlies?

OceanSpray
08-31-2013, 03:06 AM
Oh yeah, let's let AI play for a spot and cry about coming off the bench because he still thinks he's a star.. Better yet, let's bring him along and let him ruin the team chemistry. Dude is a cancer for every team.