PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here fear the Yankees?

BSF101
08-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Just wondering if any of you guys fear the Yankees in times like these? They were not too good in the last few months of the regular season, but won their last 5 out of 6 games. The post season is almost coming and its times like these teams like the NYY play well. And its not like their 20+ games out of first place in the AL East its 7 which is not that many. Thoughts.

-Lavigne43-
08-25-2013, 02:21 PM
They're not a playoff team. No team with a negative run differential should be feared. I look at them as games we should/need to win to beat out the Rays down the stretch. They also haven't won their last 5/6 anymore. They have lost their last two vs the Rays, and are losing again today vs the Rays. All worry should be directed towards the Rays who won't go away.

Station 13
08-25-2013, 02:39 PM
lol nope

BSF101
08-25-2013, 03:47 PM
They're not a playoff team. No team with a negative run differential should be feared. I look at them as games we should/need to win to beat out the Rays down the stretch. They also haven't won their last 5/6 anymore. They have lost their last two vs the Rays, and are losing again today vs the Rays. All worry should be directed towards the Rays who won't go away.

LOL where the hell was I?

grandsalami
08-25-2013, 03:54 PM

12-1 vs jays. Under .500 vs the rest of MLB.

RedSoxtober
08-25-2013, 06:54 PM
A good deal of their success was spurred by the return of Soriano who gave them the needed RHB bat to the tune of .329/.361/.658 in his first 20 games. He's .074/.167/.352 since.

Bo Sox Fan
08-25-2013, 07:36 PM
They're about as relevant as the Blue Jays, so LOL no. Orioles, maybe.

What a bad thread

BSF101
08-25-2013, 09:03 PM
They're about as relevant as the Blue Jays, so LOL no. Orioles, maybe.

What a bad thread

Sure you say that now but these are the Yankees after all.

EEasyA
08-25-2013, 10:30 PM
No.

-Lavigne43-
08-25-2013, 11:19 PM
They are not the Yankees you are used to seeing. They are extremely mediocre. The only reason you are worried is because of their name.

If you want to worry about something worry about the Rays taking the division, the Orioles beating us down in the 9 games we have left with them, the A's and Indians sneaking by us with their very easy September schedules.

Celtic AL
08-26-2013, 02:59 AM
nope. Rays & O's do tho

todu82
08-26-2013, 10:40 AM
They've certainly come on strong as of late and no Yankees team should ever be counted out. That said I think they're to far behind to make the playoffs.

Nomar
08-26-2013, 10:42 AM
They're due for a cold streak too. And if they hit any snag at this point they're screwed.

ruckus16969
08-26-2013, 12:39 PM
The Yankees are like a getting a sliver. They're annoying but they aren't gonna kill ya. More of a pain in in the *** if ya ask me

RedSoxtober
08-26-2013, 01:30 PM
They are not the Yankees you are used to seeing. They are extremely mediocre. The only reason you are worried is because of their name.

If you want to worry about something worry about the Rays taking the division, the Orioles beating us down in the 9 games we have left with them, the A's and Indians sneaking by us with their very easy September schedules.

True. CLE has a tough run coming up (ATL, DET, BAL) and an outside shot at facing Harvey. It's pretty smooth sailing after that. OAK is slightly tougher; they've got a similar set coming up (just finished BAL, DET, TBR, and TEX with one more set vs TEX later). I just feel like these guys are going to fade, though.

If the Yanks keep convincing themselves to hunt the second WC then they could be a real nuisance to BAL. They face one another 7 more times. BAL probably has the toughest schedule of remaining games (NYY 7, BOS 9 with 6 at Fenway, CLE 3, TBR 4; 19/33 away with 1 day off). I hope the schedule wears them down by the time we see them in mid-Sep.

Sox schedule may be next toughest with weak spots against CWS, TOR, and COL. Fortunately they play 18/32 at home. The weird trip to COL during the last week may suck but at least it gives 2 off-days heading into what could be a big final weekend in BAL.

BSF101
08-26-2013, 05:03 PM

I'm not sold on the Rays or O's. The Rays are gonna screw up sooner or later as for the O's meh I mean they look like a good team on paper but other than that I'm not worried.

Nomar
08-26-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm not sold on the Rays or O's. The Rays are gonna screw up sooner or later as for the O's meh I mean they look like a good team on paper but other than that I'm not worried.

So you're not worried about the Rays, but you're worried about the Yankees, who have an under .500 record vs teams not in Toronto? The Yankees who have been outscored by their opponents this year? If yoiu're not worried about the Rays then you shouldnt be worried at all.

Celtic AL
08-26-2013, 05:41 PM
so you're not worried about the rays, but you're worried about the yankees, who have an under .500 record vs teams not in toronto? The yankees who have been outscored by their opponents this year? If yoiu're not worried about the rays then you shouldnt be worried at all.

x2

BSF101
08-27-2013, 04:12 PM
So you're not worried about the Rays, but you're worried about the Yankees, who have an under .500 record vs teams not in Toronto? The Yankees who have been outscored by their opponents this year? If yoiu're not worried about the Rays then you shouldnt be worried at all.

In a strange way yeah no one knows how this team is. They kind of remind me of the New York Giants a team that is mediocre in the regular season but once that PO's start their hard to beat. Look at the 07 season they went on to beat a team that was 18-0 with a 9-7 record.

-Lavigne43-
08-27-2013, 04:23 PM
You can't compare football to baseball. If MLB let as many teams into the playoffs as the NFL perhaps they would win enough games to make the playoffs where anything can happen. Having a record like the 2006 Cardinals isn't going to get you into the playoffs this year.

BSF101
08-28-2013, 02:52 AM
You can't compare football to baseball. If MLB let as many teams into the playoffs as the NFL perhaps they would win enough games to make the playoffs where anything can happen. Having a record like the 2006 Cardinals isn't going to get you into the playoffs this year.

Yeah I know only comparison I could think of at the time. And if the Rays are so good why does their stadium always look so empty?

AI
08-28-2013, 03:31 AM
What does attendance have to do with the Rays being a good baseball team? :laugh2:

The X
08-28-2013, 04:36 PM
They have an actual offense in a long time so you can't say how they are under 500 against the al this year. Look at the past couple of weeks they won a series against the tigers, you guys, angels, and jays.

Not to mention they have around 8 games left against the Red Sox. While they have one of the easiest schedules down the stretch while you guys have one of the hardest. I'm not trolling or anything but just because you hate the team doesn't mean you should be biased against them. Still plenty of time left

metswon69
08-28-2013, 06:02 PM
The Yankees have a formidable offense now with Granderson, A-Rod, Soriano, Jeter (for now and depending on how he plays going forward) but they still have 3 teams to jump for that second WC and their starting rotation will be key in their 31 games to how they finish.

The Red Sox and Orioles have 14 games against them in the next 3 weeks. They could possibly put the Yankees away in that stretch depending how the Yankees finish in those games.

khanusma
08-28-2013, 06:20 PM
only team I fear is the Red Sox themselves. they better not blow it!!!!

metswon69
08-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Per example, if the Yankees get more outings like this one tonight out of Kuroda, they won't make the playoffs. They only have 1 pitcher in their rotation going consistently well as this is the 3rd straight poor start by Kuroda.

Like most in this thread, the Rays are a team the Red Sox need to worry about of the two.

BSF101
08-28-2013, 10:31 PM
What does attendance have to do with the Rays being a good baseball team? :laugh2:

Just seems weird seeing a team like Tampa with so much talent with so few people in their stadium. I believe Boston had more people last year during their 69 win season than this Rays team this year ha ha ha.

BSF101
08-28-2013, 10:33 PM
They have an actual offense in a long time so you can't say how they are under 500 against the al this year. Look at the past couple of weeks they won a series against the tigers, you guys, angels, and jays.

Not to mention they have around 8 games left against the Red Sox. While they have one of the easiest schedules down the stretch while you guys have one of the hardest. I'm not trolling or anything but just because you hate the team doesn't mean you should be biased against them. Still plenty of time left

I agree 100% there are some teams people need to watch out for even if they look bad.

SirHizz
08-28-2013, 11:03 PM
At this point it would take another huge chokejob in order for the Yankees to overtake us. 11 (and 17 losses) more wins get us to 90 and the Yanks will not be winning way more than 90. Let alone the fact that they also need to outplay the Oakland (their remaing schedule is as easy as can be) and that's gonna be another tough task

Give me a 2 WC-games of Reds@Cards and Tampa@Oakland

RedSoxtober
08-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Actually, we CAN say that they are below .500 against the AL because that's a fact. You might want to argue that their revamped lineup means that predicting their future performance based on their past isn't appropriate but it doesn't change the facts of their current season.

That said, YOU can't just suggest they're now a powerhouse because they added names to their lineup. A-Rod, Granderson, and Soriano all have declining production over the last month (check their splits on 7, 14, and 28 days to see the decline). It's not unusual to have a burst when a player (re-)joins a team followed by some decline. They're hitting for power but not making frequent contact. Soriano is a great example: he was white hot when he first went back to the Bronx but his OBP is down BELOW .270 recently. Ouch.

They went 9-2 from 8/9-22 and that run, coinciding with the return of the names, no doubt spiked optimism. They're 2-4 since having dropped consecutive series to AL East opponents, scoring only 3 R/G over the span. The difference may well be that they played on the road over those six games. Playing 10 consecutive games on the road with BAL, BOS, and TOR could be a big problem viewed through that lens.

It's true that the Yankees beat the Sox in a series a couple weeks ago. But it's worth putting that series win in perspective. First, the Sox pitching was struggling at the time. When you get into a 15-10 slugfest with the Astros things are not going well. Matching that poor production against the Yankees surge was a recipe for Yankee success. Second, check the schedule. The Sox had a three-game homestand (who the hell is making this schedule?) against NYY after being on the road for 10 days and before heading out west to face SFG and LAD. Playing 16/19 games on the road kinda sucks, especially having to play an ESPN Sunday night game. It was a perfect storm for the Yankees to capitalize. To their credit, they did.

Heading into the early-Sep showdown in the Bronx the Sox will have played 9 games at Fenway. Their pitching has rebounded remarkably well (in their last 14 games they've held their opponents to 3 runs or less in 11 games and their starters have AVERAGED 7.5IP/G over the last 8 games). Chances are NYY won't be scoring any easy runs next time.

You also skipped over the Yankee's pitching. That detail might be important against the team battling for first place in MLB for runs scored. Let's see. Sabathia continues to eat innings but hasn't had a month with an ERA below 5 since May and his k/bb has fallen in the toilet. Your offense HAS to score a lot to pick that up. No matter, the Sox have handled him very well since he became an AL East regular. Kuroda has been great all year but you have to wonder if the 38yr old has hit a wall given his 1-4, 5.12ERA August. He's currently giving up 40% more base runners than at any earlier point in the season. Pettite has improved through the season. He's giving up a ton of hits but he's a pitcher and works out of jams. He's always been tough against the Sox because he pounds the strike zone. Fortunately, BOS showed (vs Chen) that they can change tactics and become aggressive in the strike zone against such pitchers. Hughes? Been bad all season and his 6.46ERA this month is no surprise. Nova: good stuff since his return... if he's lined up to pitch. 1/5 pitchers throwing well with two guys generally considered stalwarts struggling badly. As I said earlier, the Yankee offense will HAVE to produce big time numbers to tack on wins.

No, I don't fear the Yankees even with the return of their name-brand lineup.