PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Mock Offseason Playoffs: 3 Portland Trail Blazers vs. 6 Houston Rockets

PatsSoxKnicks
08-25-2013, 12:51 AM
Every summer, PSD holds a game which mocks that year's NBA offseason. This year, users from the site took the reigns of NBA franchises and had to utilize their skills via draft, trades, and free agency to improve their teams. At the end of the game, GMs voted on how they believed the regular season of this game would shake up. These are the playoffs of PSD's 2013 NBA Mock Offseason.

Please take the time to consider each line up, the match-up itself, and vote on which team you believe would win in a seven game series.

The Blazers have homecourt advantage.

Blazers Depth Chart:

Playoff Rotation (mpg)
PG: Derrick Rose (36) Jamal Crawford (12) Daniel Gibson (Reserve)
SG: Wesley Matthews (28) Lance Stephenson (12) Jamal Crawford (8)
SF: Shawn Marion (32) Draymond Green (16)
PF: Zach Randolph (35) Kris Humphries (13)
C: Andrew Bogut (32) Kendrick Perkins (16) Donatas Motiejunas (Reserve)
6th man: Jamal Crawford (20mpg)

Rockets Depth Chart (MPG):

PG: Isaiah Thomas (24) - Raymond Felton (24) - Jimmer Fredette (0)
SG: Bradley Beal (33)- Danny Green (15) - Linas Kleiza (0)
SF: Wilson Chandler (32) - Danny Green (16) - Quincy Acy (0)
PF: Chris Bosh (36) - Nick Collison (10) - Jared Sullinger (2)
C: Joakim Noah (35) - Nick Collison (13)

Rockets Write-up:

Offensive Philosophy:
Obviously this team is built around our dynamic duo down low. Noah and Bosh is a very good offensive compliment because of Bosh's great work away from the basket as well as his ability to post up down low, and Noah's ability to create easy baskets without many offensive touches. Bosh is our #1 option and he will be given the ball in areas where he can easily succeed, and as far as I can tell, Portland has no player that can stop Bosh. Randolph is a poor defender that is undersized and will not be able to handle Bosh on the low block, and if they decide to put Bogut on him we will just play Bosh more from away from the basket and allow him to use his unique playmaking skills away from the basket to use his quickness on Bogut. This team has 2 playmakers at PG in Raymond Felton and Isaiah Thomas and they will be the orchestrators of this offense. Both are very good playmakers and also good scorers, so we will rely on them to either put our other players in a position to score, or score themselves. One of the best kept secrets in the NBA is Bradley Beal. He is one of the best off the ball players in the entire league, and late last year he exploded. He will be a great scorer for our team and Wesley Matthews has little chance of stopping him. Wilson Chandler and Danny Green are also very good players that will help to space the floor for Bosh, as well as have the ability to create for themselves.

Defensive Philosophy:
Our #1 objective is to slow down Rose. We have two PGs playing 24 minutes a piece in this game so they will always be fresh and ready to chase him around the floor. Also, Rose's best offensive asset is his ability to get to the paint. So, what better player to stop him in the paint than one of the best defensive centers in the game, and his former teammate Joakim Noah? Andrew Bogut doesn't scare us at all offensively, if he is even healthy by the time the playoffs roll around. Their lack of an offensive weapon at C will allow Noah to roam the paint and always wreak havoc whenever Rose comes into the lane. Their only other true offensive option is Zach Randolph, and he had one of his worst years in Memphis last year, especially his dreadful postseason. Clearly Z-Bo is on the decline, and we have one of the best defensive PF rotations in the league with Nick Collison and Chris Bosh ready to shut him down. Bosh has really become a great defensive player since arriving in Miami, and putting him back at his normal position at PF will allow him to only cover the smaller player in the frontcourt, and truly display his defensive prowess. No other player on the TrailBlazers worries us offensively, and we have above average defensive players at every position ready to slow them down.

Bottom Line:
We have answers defensively for their offensive weapons, whereas they simply do not. There is no one on that team capable of stopping Chris Bosh, who back in his #1 option role will dominate just like he did in Toronto, especially when playing next to a top 7 center. They don't even have an SG ready to slow down the rising star Bradley Beal. We also have a defensive juggernaut down low with Noah that will take away Rose's greatest offensive ability, and 2 great defensive PF's ready to stop the declining Zach Randolph. We match up very well against this Portland team, and we have the perfect formula that will win this series.

PatsSoxKnicks
08-25-2013, 12:58 AM
The only matchup where I feel like some debate could change my mind

unleashthebeast
08-25-2013, 01:37 AM
Let the party begin :box: this is a very interesting matchup. Go Rockets!

Greet
08-25-2013, 02:15 AM
Dudeee why not do a write-up c'mon!!!

Shammyguy3
08-25-2013, 02:28 AM
Couldn't get around to it for this one (even with the extra time, i've been logging heavy hours at work and was on a mini-vacation in the middle of the week). I think this matchup is pretty good, an interesting series but the Blazers would win in 6 games at most.

The Rockets relying on Chris Bosh as a number one option is a huge weakness here with no real second option on the team. Isaiah Thomas, Wilson Chandler, and Bradley Beal are all at best third options. With Derrick Rose leading the way (and we're assuming a complete bill of health here, but even if Derrick was only "80%" of his MVP form it wouldn't matter) moving Zach Randolph to a role he would thrive in as the 2nd option would do wonders. Randolph would still be able to get plenty of looks with Bogut covering up his defensive woes, and with Shawn Marion playing the SF spot I have the best rebounding front court in the game to limit Noah's effectiveness on the offensive board.

That's pretty much what this comes down to for them, and considering Bosh is a career 14.4trb% type of rebounder, the Rockets would have to shoot a very high percentage with little second chance points to stand a chance in this series. They bring up Noah protecting the paint to stop Derrick Rose, but Noah's going to be sweating his *** off all series long if he has to make up for the defensive efforts that Felton & Thomas will be showing when guarding Rose. And if Noah does indeed make Rose pass the ball out, he has all the spacing he needs with Wesley Matthews & Jamal Crawford in the backcourt, and Randolph able to knock down a wide open mid-range jumper if the Rockets pack the paint.

Who will Houston's secondary ball-handler be, exactly? Relying on Isaiah Thomas or Raymond Felton all series long with Rose guarding them is expecting too much. Bradley Beal at this point in his career is not a secondary ball-handler (only a 13.7ast% this past year), and Wilson Chandler is even worse (career 9.1ast%).

Jamal Crawford coming off the bench for the Blazers and being able to play with Rose much like he has played with Chris Paul is a huge factor in this series. A one-two-three punch of Rose/Crawford/Randolph will provide the necessary offense needed to win this series when the second option on the Rockets will be any of Isaiah Thomas, Bradley Beal, Wilson Chandler, or even Joakim Noah.

Guppyfighter
08-25-2013, 04:35 AM
Really nice team, Rockets.

Blazers win though. That's a top three defensive team.

mightybosstone
08-25-2013, 12:11 PM
I hate to say this, because I love UTB and Bais, but they did a really disappointing job. Every major trade they made I disagreed with, and they essentially turned a top 5 player (Harden) into Chris Bosh, which was not good value in any way. They should have gotten Wade, but when they didn't, I feel like they panicked and tried to make trades they didn't need to make. On the flip side, the Blazers did a phenomenal job flipping assets and turning that Portland roster into a team very similar to last year's Memphis Grizzlies.

In terms of matchup, the Rockets do match up fairly well since both teams have formidable defensive front courts, but I just do not see the Rockets having an answer for Derrick Rose at PG. Even if Rose is only 75% the player he was before the injury, he's still a top 5-10 PG and he'll dominate Thomas and Felton. I also like Randolph on the low post against Bosh. I think he'll have his way with Bosh in big games and crush him on the boards. Overall, Hosuton just does not have the offensive firepower to take Portland down. I'm taking the Blazers in five.

KnicksorBust
08-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Here we have a matchup! I had no trouble ranking the Blazers ahead of the Rockets for seedings (bc I love the Blazers blend of offense/defense) but in a head to head this is a different ballgame. I like the Rockets write-up a lot. Hopefully there will be some back and forth. I'm going to hold back on my vote for now and give this matchup more attention before voting.

unleashthebeast
08-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Couldn't get around to it for this one (even with the extra time, i've been logging heavy hours at work and was on a mini-vacation in the middle of the week). I think this matchup is pretty good, an interesting series but the Blazers would win in 6 games at most.

The Rockets relying on Chris Bosh as a number one option is a huge weakness here with no real second option on the team. Isaiah Thomas, Wilson Chandler, and Bradley Beal are all at best third options. With Derrick Rose leading the way (and we're assuming a complete bill of health here, but even if Derrick was only "80%" of his MVP form it wouldn't matter) moving Zach Randolph to a role he would thrive in as the 2nd option would do wonders. Randolph would still be able to get plenty of looks with Bogut covering up his defensive woes, and with Shawn Marion playing the SF spot I have the best rebounding front court in the game to limit Noah's effectiveness on the offensive board.

This is by far the best supporting cast that Bosh has ever been given as a #1 option. Bradley Beal is an up and coming star, and is more than capable of being a #2 option on this team. The beauty of this team though is the amount of players able to score and score effectively. IT, Felton, Beal, Green, Chandler, and Noah are all very solid offensive players that are more than capable of scoring very well on this team. And I'm sorry but in this series Bogut CAN NOT cover up Randolph's defensive woes. Randolph will be matched up against Chris Bosh, one of the best offensive big men in the entire game. Bosh will pick Randolph apart offensively. Is Bogut sliding over to help Randolph? I hope he does because that will create a domino effect where either Noah will be open for an easy basket or someone will rotate to Noah, leaving one of our great long range shooters open. Randolph covering Bosh will be the death of you in this series, because Bosh will simply dominate him.

That's pretty much what this comes down to for them, and considering Bosh is a career 14.4trb% type of rebounder, the Rockets would have to shoot a very high percentage with little second chance points to stand a chance in this series. They bring up Noah protecting the paint to stop Derrick Rose, but Noah's going to be sweating his *** off all series long if he has to make up for the defensive efforts that Felton & Thomas will be showing when guarding Rose. And if Noah does indeed make Rose pass the ball out, he has all the spacing he needs with Wesley Matthews & Jamal Crawford in the backcourt, and Randolph able to knock down a wide open mid-range jumper if the Rockets pack the paint.

The fact of the matter with Noah is that he will be able to protect the paint because of your lack of offensive options in the paint. Randolph is your only big man with a semblance of an offensive game and he will be covered by Bosh or Collison all game, 2 great defenders. Noah will be able to roam at all times and wreak havoc on Rose's offensive playmaking, slowing down his elite ability to get to the basket. Sure Rose will score, all stars find a way to score. But how efficiently? And will he be able to get other teammates involved? With Rose having to worry about Noah's presence on each offensive series, his productivity will decline and most importantly, his efficiency and passing ability will diminish.

Who will Houston's secondary ball-handler be, exactly? Relying on Isaiah Thomas or Raymond Felton all series long with Rose guarding them is expecting too much. Bradley Beal at this point in his career is not a secondary ball-handler (only a 13.7ast% this past year), and Wilson Chandler is even worse (career 9.1ast%).

This point doesn't worry us whatsoever. Rose is an average defensive player who benefited from playing with the best defensive minded coach in the league in Chicago. Thomas and Felton are more than capable of being our primary ball handlers and with them both only playing 24 minutes a game they will always be fresh and ready to ball. And what is this about us lacking a second ball handler? I suppose then that you could make a similar point with the real life Chicago Bulls, or even the mock Chicago Bulls? We have 2 very good offensive point guards and their primary job will be to get the ball to Chris Bosh. The offense is being run through Chris Bosh, and we have solid ball handlers at every position ready to perform if asked, even at center with Joakim Noah who is a very underrated ball-handler.

Jamal Crawford coming off the bench for the Blazers and being able to play with Rose much like he has played with Chris Paul is a huge factor in this series. A one-two-three punch of Rose/Crawford/Randolph will provide the necessary offense needed to win this series when the second option on the Rockets will be any of Isaiah Thomas, Bradley Beal, Wilson Chandler, or even Joakim Noah.

Jamal Crawford is supposed to scare us? When he is on the floor he will be covered by an elite defender in Danny Green. And more importantly, Crawford is only effective when he has the ball in his hands. Coincidentally, that is the same case with Derrick Rose. Having Crawford on the court with Rose will limit both of their effectiveness, so please do that as often as possible :)

We have defensive answers for the Blazers offensive weapons whereas they simply do not have an answer for our offensive weapons. That is why the Houston Rockets will win this series in a hard-fought 7 games.

I Rock Shaqs
08-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Idk see how D rose would do with all the paint clogged up, and Bosh would destroy Randolph.

Shammyguy3
08-25-2013, 04:05 PM
This is by far the best supporting cast that Bosh has ever been given as a #1 option. Bradley Beal is an up and coming star, and is more than capable of being a #2 option on this team. The beauty of this team though is the amount of players able to score and score effectively. IT, Felton, Beal, Green, Chandler, and Noah are all very solid offensive players that are more than capable of scoring very well on this team. And I'm sorry but in this series Bogut CAN NOT cover up Randolph's defensive woes. Randolph will be matched up against Chris Bosh, one of the best offensive big men in the entire game. Bosh will pick Randolph apart offensively. Is Bogut sliding over to help Randolph? I hope he does because that will create a domino effect where either Noah will be open for an easy basket or someone will rotate to Noah, leaving one of our great long range shooters open. Randolph covering Bosh will be the death of you in this series, because Bosh will simply dominate him.

Bradley Beal being an up-and-coming star does not make him a star. Ask yourself which players are capable of being #2 options in this league, and Bradley Beal wouldn't come up in the top-30. And since you don't have an all-time great #1 option like a Lebron James, then it's ridiculous to claim that Bradley Beal is enough. You would easily take Jamal Crawford as a scoring threat over Bradley Beal too, correct? So that leaves me with a better #1 option (Rose vs Bosh) a much better #2 option (Randolph vs Beal) and a significantly better #3 option (Crawford vs ______).

The amount of players that you have who can score effectively, I match and surpass them easily. Rose/Randolph/Crawford/Matthews/Stephenson/Bogut/Marion versus Bosh/Beal/Chandler/Thomas/Noah/Green/Felton? It's not close man.

In this series, yes Bogut CAN cover up Randolph's defensive woes because you only have one offensive threat in the paint (being Bosh). Factor in that Randolph is arguably the best rebounding power forward in the league, and he will just murder Bosh on the boards limiting second chance opportunities for your team.

The fact of the matter with Noah is that he will be able to protect the paint because of your lack of offensive options in the paint. Randolph is your only big man with a semblance of an offensive game and he will be covered by Bosh or Collison all game, 2 great defenders. Noah will be able to roam at all times and wreak havoc on Rose's offensive playmaking, slowing down his elite ability to get to the basket. Sure Rose will score, all stars find a way to score. But how efficiently? And will he be able to get other teammates involved? With Rose having to worry about Noah's presence on each offensive series, his productivity will decline and most importantly, his efficiency and passing ability will diminish.

You say you have an offensive front court, yet I don't? Noah's no better than Bogut is offensively in the paint. Here's your own argument, simply reversed: Is Noah sliding over to help Bosh on Randolph or on Rose's drives? I hope he does because that will create a domino effect where either Bogut will be open for an easy basket or someone will rotate to him, leaving one of Matthews or Crawford open on the perimeter.

If the game is close, who will you trust more in order to win the game for you? Derrick Rose (a former MVP with no real #2 option in Chicago, whereas here he actually has one) or Chris Bosh? :eyebrow:

This point doesn't worry us whatsoever. Rose is an average defensive player who benefited from playing with the best defensive minded coach in the league in Chicago. Thomas and Felton are more than capable of being our primary ball handlers and with them both only playing 24 minutes a game they will always be fresh and ready to ball. And what is this about us lacking a second ball handler? I suppose then that you could make a similar point with the real life Chicago Bulls, or even the mock Chicago Bulls? We have 2 very good offensive point guards and their primary job will be to get the ball to Chris Bosh. The offense is being run through Chris Bosh, and we have solid ball handlers at every position ready to perform if asked, even at center with Joakim Noah who is a very underrated ball-handler.

Rose is only an average defensive player? :laugh2: During Rose's MVP campaign season, Rose allowed only 0.77 points per possession overall (ahead of Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo, Russell Westbrook that year).

"Rose is particularly effective in defending isolation sequences, where he allows just 0.61 points per possession. Rose’s lateral quickness becomes a huge asset when opponents go one-on-one." Link (http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/19/rose-dwarfs-other-improvements-with-defense/?_r=0)

There's the article there. Why does Rose get **** for playing on a great defensive team, yet Conley is regarded as one of the best perimeter defending point guards in the game? :eyebrow: Same with Rondo when the Celtics were legit contenders (coached by Thibs)? I mean, c'mon man... this team is very similar to the Memphis Grizzlies of last season, just with better spacing and a leg behind defensively.

Jamal Crawford is supposed to scare us? When he is on the floor he will be covered by an elite defender in Danny Green. And more importantly, Crawford is only effective when he has the ball in his hands. Coincidentally, that is the same case with Derrick Rose. Having Crawford on the court with Rose will limit both of their effectiveness, so please do that as often as possible :)

We have defensive answers for the Blazers offensive weapons whereas they simply do not have an answer for our offensive weapons. That is why the Houston Rockets will win this series in a hard-fought 7 games.

When we have a lineup of Rose/Crawford/Marion/Randolph/Bogut in the game, who is going to be covering all of those guys? How about those fast-break opportunities that my team will score on thanks to my awesome rebounding-front court of Marion/Z-Bo/Bogut?

This series would be over in 6 at most, and the Blazers would win.

KnicksorBust
08-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Rockets bench gives them a huge edge as well. Felton-Green-Collison are all very capable backups. I do not trust Jamal Crawford at backup PG. I worry about the playmaking of the Blazers if Rose has an off day. Meanwhile Joakim Noah offers a great blend of a high-low passing game with Bosh.

unleashthebeast
08-26-2013, 01:32 AM
****, 19 to 4? I can't believe it is that lopsided. Not even worth arguing at that point :sigh:

KnicksorBust
08-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Yeah this vote is in no way indicative of how this series would actually go in real life. Blazers are strong but this should have been a back and forth.

valade16
08-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Idk see how D rose would do with all the paint clogged up, and Bosh would destroy Randolph.

Yeah this vote is in no way indicative of how this series would actually go in real life. Blazers are strong but this should have been a back and forth.

See, I think the matchup is actually about as lopsided as the voting indicates.

Look at the Rockets team and list out players that could give you consistently high point production.

Chris Bosh.

That's it. Isiah Thomas and Bradley Beal may be capable of dropping 20 every now and then, but they aren't going to give you consistent points. Noah and Chandler are good complementary scorers, but again, neither can really carry a load offensively.

Derrick Rose and Zach Randolph are going to get their points rather easily. Yes, Bosh will put up numbers on Z-Bo's horrendous D but Z-Bo will simply push Bosh around for points and rebounds. Also, Mathews is the perfect compliment for a player like Rose. He doesn't need the ball, can drop 3's consistently, and plays good D. Also, those 2 would do a good enough job locking down Thomas and Beal, that Z-Bo's lack of interior D doesn't really matter because Houston doesn't have much penetration ability.

I mean, Isiah Thomas and Bradley Beal vs Derrick Rose and Wesley Mathews. The Rockets backcourt would get worked...

unleashthebeast
08-28-2013, 02:30 AM
If you think that Z-Bo would "push around" Bosh then you are absolutely insane. Bosh is a very very good defender at this point in his career, especially at PF. He would be the one giving Randolph problems on that side of the court, not the other way around

xxplayerxx23
08-28-2013, 06:18 AM
If you think that Z-Bo would "push around" Bosh then you are absolutely insane. Bosh is a very very good defender at this point in his career, especially at PF. He would be the one giving Randolph problems on that side of the court, not the other way around

Bosh would smash Randolph. Zbo would control the offensive glass though. I think this series is a lot closer then the vote