PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Mock Offseason Playoffs: 3 New York Knicks vs. 6 Boston Celtics

PatsSoxKnicks
08-25-2013, 12:41 AM
Every summer, PSD holds a game which mocks that year's NBA offseason. This year, users from the site took the reigns of NBA franchises and had to utilize their skills via draft, trades, and free agency to improve their teams. At the end of the game, GMs voted on how they believed the regular season of this game would shake up. These are the playoffs of PSD's 2013 NBA Mock Offseason.

Please take the time to consider each line up, the match-up itself, and vote on which team you believe would win in a seven game series.

The Knicks have homecourt advantage.

Knicks Depth Chart:

PG Chris Paul (36) / D.J. Augustin (12) / C.J. McCollum
SG J.R. Smith (33) / Caron Butler (15) / Sergey Karasev
SF Shane Battier (25) / Carmelo Anthony (18) / Caron Butler (5)
PF Carmelo Anthony (20) / Tyler Hansbrough (20) / Kenyon Martin (8) / Channing Frye
C Tyson Chandler (32) / Kenyon Martin (16)

Celtics Depth Chart:

PG: Westbrook | Udrih | The Machine
SG: Bradley | Richardson | The Machine | De Colo
SF: Dunleavy | Ariza | The Machine
PF: Patterson | Speights | Turiaf
C: Garnett | Kaman | Turiaf

Knicks Write-up:

The Knicks first round opponents in the Mock Offseason are the talented and versatile Boston Celtics. We have nothing but the utmost respect for Catfish and Chac. They are two of the best GMs in the game. They have done a good job assembling their roster after some FA miscues but we believe that the Knicks deserve to advance for the following reasons:

1. Chris Paul has significantly outplayed Westbrook in their career head to head matchups. Focus specifically on shooting and turnovers.
CP 20ppg / 10apg / 4rpg / 50%fg/34%3pt/91%ft with 3.5spg and only 2.4 turnovers per game
Westy 19ppg / 7apg / 4rpg / 41%fg/31%3pt/84%ft with 1.7 spg and an obscene 4.2 turnovers per game

2. Boston has little to no playmakers after Westbrook. In an effort to upgrade at PG they have sacrificed quality depth. The Knicks can rely on CP3, league leading scorer Carmelo Anthony, and even 6th man JR Smith for stretches.

3. Who guards Carmelo? Right now they have Patrick Patterson slated at PF one of the worst defensive forwards in the league last season. This is an ultimate mismatch in favor of the Knicks. Should the Celtics choose to throw Garnett on Carmelo that will essentially force a past his prime PF/C to guard an elite scorer all over the floor and make him focus all on defense while leaning more heavily on guys like Avery Bradley (40%fg last season/31%3pt) to chip in scoring.

4. Chemistry. This Knicks core was purposefully not overhauled because it was already a 54 win team that played extremely well together. JR Smith-Carmelo-Tyson-Kenyon are all back. The only true roster change was that Raymond Felton was upgraded to Chris Paul. The same Chris Paul who turned Tyson Chandler into a double-double machine in New Orleans and won a gold medal with both Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler at the last Olympics. They have been surrounded by glue veterans that either provide defense (Hansbrough), shooting (Caron Butler/Augustin/Frye) or both (Shane Battier). Meanwhile this Boston team 2 of its 3 best players and would have to deal with the growing pains of a new roster.

Good luck to Boston but we believe New York deserves to advance to the 2nd round.

unleashthebeast
08-25-2013, 01:40 AM
Celtics simply have no answer for Carmelo. I will wait for CF or Chac to battle for their team before I vote, but it seems like it goes to NY pretty easily here

Bruno
08-25-2013, 02:59 AM
knicks. how'd they manage to get paul and keep melo? good work kob.

sep11ie
08-25-2013, 03:14 AM
I wish everybody would have acted like I was included on this Knicks team...

Bruno
08-25-2013, 03:53 AM

sorry- i saw that kob did the write up and nobody had voted in the gm section yet. i haven't been to the mock forum.

Ebbs
08-25-2013, 04:17 AM

Wait you were part of the Knicks team lol

Guppyfighter
08-25-2013, 04:29 AM
Knicks fairly easily.

Killerjug
08-25-2013, 10:02 AM

Free agency

mightybosstone
08-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Hey! I did like 75-80% of the Chris Paul pitches!

You're not including me, are you? I thought we did a good job of including you at almost every step of the way.

Bruno
08-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Free agency
nice

Hey! I did like 75-80% of the Chris Paul pitches!
good stuff man.

KnicksorBust
08-25-2013, 12:56 PM

Thanks. I had a great pair of gms to work with that helped make that possible.

ManRam
08-25-2013, 01:45 PM
How in the **** did the Knicks get Paul :laugh2:

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-25-2013, 02:02 PM

Amnestied Amar'e(each team got an amnesty), and proceeded to trade everyone not named Carmelo and Tyson.

Sadds The Gr8
08-25-2013, 03:19 PM

Shoulda came to Indy :pity:

KnicksorBust
08-25-2013, 05:55 PM

Assload of work but well worth it.

KnicksorBust
08-25-2013, 05:56 PM

Shoulda came to Indy :pity:

Boston had better pitches...

mightybosstone
08-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks. I had a great pair of gms to work with that helped make that possible.

This is true. All three of us were instrumental in Paul coming to New York. It was not easy, but we put a plan in place, and it worked.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-25-2013, 10:29 PM
See you soon Knicks :)

Lucky.
08-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Boston has no answer for Anthony. If they did, this would be a little more interesting.

PatsSoxKnicks
08-26-2013, 03:24 AM
Boston had better pitches...

I liked Saddler's pitches. Thought they were pretty underrated. Right up there with Boston's pitches IMO.