PDA

View Full Version : Gary Payton takes credit for Iverson's practice rant

Chronz
08-24-2013, 08:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onnqlWUERIc#t=169

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/gary-payton-allen-iverson-practice-rant/201506

Payton says he and Iverson were out one summer, having a good time and drinking, and Iverson asked Payton for his secret to keeping his body in good shape. Payton told Iverson that his coach with the Seattle SuperSonics, George Karl, kept him out of practice to preserve his body.

“That was it. I [told Iverson] ‘you have to stop practicing!’” Payton recalled.

Payton says that conversation inspired Iverson’s rant, though the former MVP guard got the intonations all wrong when he said the word “practice.”

“I was like ‘don’t do it like that!’” Payton said with a laugh.

Never understood why Iverson got so much hate for "talkin bout practice".

Even the greatest winner of all-time, Bill Russell wasn't much of a practice player from what I hear.

KnicksorBust
08-24-2013, 08:48 PM
"How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?”

There is so much wrong with that statement I don't know where to begin.

TheMightyHumph
08-24-2013, 08:56 PM

He should have said "How the hell am I going to make my teammates better by playing?"

Tony_Starks
08-24-2013, 09:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onnqlWUERIc#t=169

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/gary-payton-allen-iverson-practice-rant/201506

Never understood why Iverson got so much hate for "talkin bout practice".

Even the greatest winner of all-time, Bill Russell wasn't much of a practice player from what I hear.

First off because he's AI the hate magnet. Second off because he was the only one bold enough to actually say it. There are a bunch of stars that were notorious for either not going hard in practice or skipping it altogether....

TheMightyHumph
08-24-2013, 09:20 PM
First off because he's AI the hate magnet. Second off because he was the only one bold enough to actually say it. There are a bunch of stars that were notorious for either not going hard in practice or skipping it altogether....

See below

TheMightyHumph
08-24-2013, 09:29 PM

You are correct in that he NEVER should have said it in public. But didn't Larry Brown bring up the subject in the first place?

Tony_Starks
08-24-2013, 09:30 PM
You are correct in that he NEVER should have said it in public. But didn't Larry Brown bring up the subject in the first place?

Not from the podium and not directly like "AI doesn't practice." From what I recall Brown had kindof alluded to it and the media kept running with it and pressing the issue until he got pissed off and made the famous rant..

Bruno
08-25-2013, 03:08 AM

haha yeah.

TheMightyHumph
08-25-2013, 03:42 AM
Not from the podium and not directly like "AI doesn't practice." From what I recall Brown had kindof alluded to it and the media kept running with it and pressing the issue until he got pissed off and made the famous.

Larry wasn't stupid enough to say it from a podium

topdog
08-25-2013, 05:49 PM
It was Iverson's general attitude more than anything. As people said, he could have kept it away from the podium or said it in a more professional/less egotistical way i.e. "in order to preserve my body for games, I do not participate in practice."

But of course this is the guy who was instrumental in the NBA's adoption of a dress code with his sagging sweatpants and wearing other teams' throwback jerseys to his own team's game.

bearadonisdna
08-25-2013, 05:53 PM
So GP let Iverson take all the Heat throughout his career but only provided this tidbit after he offcially retired.
Nice.<sarcasm

Eagles710
08-25-2013, 06:31 PM
I love all the 13 year olds that hate Iverson for no reason at all... Iverson was a amazing player! bottom line... he gets killed in ever thread about him, and im not sure why....

Ofcourse people are going to say.. he did not pass the ball , go look at his numbers ! before you say that!

There is no argument to make him a bad player the way everyone here does

Eagles710
08-25-2013, 06:34 PM
He should have said "How the hell am I going to make my teammates better by playing?"

Eric Snow
Arron McKie
Jurmaine Jones
Tyrone Hill
Todd McCuholla ... or something like that lol
Raja Ball... rookie year I think ?

You gonna make these guys better ?

topdog
08-25-2013, 06:39 PM
I love all the 13 year olds that hate Iverson for no reason at all... Iverson was a amazing player! bottom line... he gets killed in ever thread about him, and im not sure why....

Ofcourse people are going to say.. he did not pass the ball , go look at his numbers ! before you say that!

There is no argument to make him a bad player the way everyone here does

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/iversal01.html

Career 42.5% shooter with 31% from 3 leading the league in shots and minutes a number of years. Yes, he could consistently score but it sort of reminds me of long-term "Linsanity" where the team is continually built around getting a good scorer to the rim and then covering him on defense while he gambles.

Hawkeye15
08-25-2013, 06:49 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/iversal01.html

Career 42.5% shooter with 31% from 3 leading the league in shots and minutes a number of years. Yes, he could consistently score but it sort of reminds me of long-term "Linsanity" where the team is continually built around getting a good scorer to the rim and then covering him on defense while he gambles.

I forgot his highest offensive rating in his prime was 109. Yikes

Chronz
08-25-2013, 06:50 PM
I hate ai more than most but cmon, practice?

Kashmir13579
08-25-2013, 07:00 PM
I hate ai more than most but cmon, practice?

Whats up with your sig?

Chronz
08-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Whats up with your sig?

Sup wit it?

Kashmir13579
08-25-2013, 08:13 PM
i'm asking

bearadonisdna
08-25-2013, 08:17 PM
A superstar that took the beating he did from game to game probably deserved a couple practices off a week. Of course you would like to get the coaches ok and AI was too tough for people to think he was injured when he wasnt.
He deserved some time off and now that we know thats how GP stayed in good shape i think many owe mr . iverson an apology.

east fb knicks
08-25-2013, 09:29 PM
It was Iverson's general attitude more than anything. As people said, he could have kept it away from the podium or said it in a more professional/less egotistical way i.e. "in order to preserve my body for games, I do not participate in practice."

But of course this is the guy who was instrumental in the NBA's adoption of a dress code with his sagging sweatpants and wearing other teams' throwback jerseys to his own team's game.

:laugh::laugh:
Iverson was the fkn man :D

asandhu23
08-26-2013, 09:40 AM

True. People forget that a lot of the perception about a player is based on media reporting. Look at what the media did with Wilt Chamberlain. They stuck the Goliath label on him and David label on Russell hence leading to that famous quote by Wilt

Bit off topic but yeah.

asandhu23
08-26-2013, 09:44 AM

So he's not allowed to voice an opinion?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-26-2013, 10:17 AM

I can see how this would be misinterpreted. I think he was trying to say is... If AI's in the gym puttin in work, how does that make Eric Snow better? Etc..

Hawkeye15
08-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Looking at AI's minutes, if I am his coach, I am not forcing him to practice with any sort of consistent effort, in fact giving him practices off at times.

Chronz
08-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Looking at AI's minutes, if I am his coach, I am not forcing him to practice with any sort of consistent effort, in fact giving him practices off at times.

Exactly, him going all out for the games that count do awhole lot more to make his team and teammates better.

topdog
08-26-2013, 06:41 PM
So he's not allowed to voice an opinion?

Where did I say that? I simply said that he got more flack (and probably deservedly so) because of the way he responded to the question. I totally understand a guy like AI avoiding the extra minutes and physical toll on his body. Sometimes its not about what you say but how you say it.

LAcowBOMBER
08-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Eric Snow
Arron McKie
Jurmaine Jones
Tyrone Hill
Todd McCuholla ... or something like that lol
Raja Ball... rookie year I think ?

You gonna make these guys better ?

Everyone hates on that roster but AI put up like 30 a game. Where did the other points and good team defense come from? It came from his teammates. I've always respected AI and still do, but people need to stop acting like he took D-leaguers to the finals. Eric Snow and Aaron Mckie were competent. I even remember Matt Geiger and Mutumbo having good games. AI also got to play with Theo Ratliff who was a good player. That team was clearly outmatched by the Lakers, but they weren't scrubs

mike_noodles
08-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Honestly it's my favorite rant ever. Practice? We talkin about practice?

John Walls Era
08-26-2013, 09:11 PM
I knew Payton was a bit mental, but wtf.