PDA

View Full Version : Have the Miami Heat kept pace in the east?

TheNumber37
08-24-2013, 03:14 PM
This is not meant to be a baiting thread of any kind. I am even writing the body of this message before creating a title, I just want an open and honest discussion.

What have the Miami heat done to improve?

We've seen several teams, namely The Pacers, Knicks, Nets, Bulls (Rose) and even the Cavs and Pistons make moves that make themselves better.

I objectively look at Miami and see: Okay, Mike Miller is gone, Ray is a year older as are Wade and Battier. They brought back Birdman and Oh, and they got Greg Oden.
This Summer, I full expected the Heat to make a steal like Mo Williams for the min. Or even Chauncey Billups, Devin Harris... someone with some immediate impact or credibility. They did get Ray the summer before...

I just don't see the 3 peat happening right now, based on their currents Roster. I know Riley is no fool, so the apparent standing Pat with the Roster puzzles me.

Maybe there is some plan Riley has that we don't know about or something I am severely overlooking... We all saw the pic of Roy Hibbert bulked up, We know Rose is back, and The Neltics will be good, Melo running pick and role next year (most effective player in PnR... gotta plug it).

How do the heat get better or do they even need to?

dhopisthename
08-24-2013, 03:21 PM
they can get significantly better if they could ever stay healthy and I am not referring to oden. both bosh and wade have been injured in the playoffs the past 2 playoffs.

Tony_Starks
08-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Don't need to get better. With the big 3 plus Ray and Birdman off the bench they're still by far the best team in the east. Jones and Lewis are just as capable of knocking down treys as Miller. And if Oden can deliver anything they shouldn't have as big of a gaping hole in the middle.

Still favorites if remotely healthy.

jerellh528
08-24-2013, 03:28 PM
they can get significantly better if they could ever stay healthy and I am not referring to oden. both bosh and wade have been injured in the playoffs the past 2 playoffs.

Compared to other top eastern teams, the heat have had relatively good luck as far as injuries are concerned in the playoffs.

jerellh528
08-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Don't need to get better. With the big 3 plus Ray and Birdman off the bench they're still by far the best team in the east. Jones and Lewis are just as capable of knocking down treys as Miller. And if Oden can deliver anything they shouldn't have as big of a gaping hole in the middle.

By far? Not really anymore. Most top teams in the east can challenge now. Indy, bulls, nets, Knicks. That's not even to mention the west.

SportsFanatic10
08-24-2013, 03:39 PM
wade being healthy is the biggest improvement the heat can have. if he's himself in the playoffs the heat are just too good and you can count on a 3peat. if he's not then they'll be vulnerable again and likely need a little luck to pull it out.

SportsFanatic10
08-24-2013, 03:42 PM
By far? Not really anymore. Most top teams in the east can challenge now. Indy, bulls, nets, Knicks. That's not even to mention the west.

you are thinking of playoff miami with wade only having 1 leg. when wade was healthy the heat look like the 27 game win streak team. it really all depends on his health just how good they will be in the playoffs. good thing he's working with tim grover again this offseason. those teams are all very good, but if miami is fully healthy they just won't be good enough, the talent gap is still too big.

KnicksorBust
08-24-2013, 03:47 PM
The Heat are winning 4 rings together min. Better question is what have IND and NYK done to pass them? The Nets and Bulls are the only teams that significantly improved their rosters and both were clearly a notch below Miami last season.

SportsFanatic10
08-24-2013, 03:52 PM
This is not meant to be a baiting thread of any kind. I am even writing the body of this message before creating a title, I just want an open and honest discussion.

We've seen several teams, namely The Pacers, Knicks, Nets, Bulls (Rose) and even the Cavs and Pistons make moves that make themselves better.

I objectively look at Miami and see: Okay, Mike Miller is gone, Ray is a year older as are Wade and Battier. They brought back Birdman and Oh, and they got Greg Oden.
This Summer, I full expected the Heat to make a steal like Mo Williams for the min. Or even Chauncey Billups, Devin Harris... someone with some immediate impact or credibility. They did get Ray the summer before...

I just don't see the 3 peat happening right now, based on their currents Roster. I know Riley is no fool, so the apparent standing Pat with the Roster puzzles me.

Maybe there is some plan Riley has that we don't know about or something I am severely overlooking... We all saw the pic of Roy Hibbert bulked up, We know Rose is back, and The Neltics will be good, Melo running pick and role next year (most effective player in PnR... gotta plug it).

i know a lot of people expected them to add someone other than oden, but they can still add a piece later on as well. riley might just be waiting for the buyout deadline. many of best available players left have concerns when it comes to how they'd fit in the locker room and pat won't risk the teams chemistry. i do think they'll add another wing at some point to replace miller, or maybe a 3rd point guard for insurance but the heat are pretty set as it is.

I Rock Shaqs
08-24-2013, 03:57 PM

None of those guys are free agents.

I Rock Shaqs
08-24-2013, 03:58 PM
The Heat are winning 4 rings together min. Better question is what have IND and NYK done to pass them? The Nets and Bulls are the only teams that significantly improved their rosters and both were clearly a notch below Miami last season.

Indy got Granger back and Scola, basically their bench isn't trash anymore. New York is trash though.

KNICKS R BACK
08-24-2013, 04:06 PM
None of those guys are free agents.

all 3 of them were in fact free agents

KNICKS R BACK
08-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Indy got Granger back and Scola, basically their bench isn't trash anymore. New York is trash though.

yeah i think we've already established that you just throw crap at the wall and hope it sticks LOL get ur IQ up

Kushed
08-24-2013, 04:08 PM
The Heat don't need to get better. It's that simple.

I will say though that I expect their roster after next season to be completely different. They'll go for the 3-peat and most likely sign someone for the mid in the middle of the season.

Tony_Starks
08-24-2013, 04:22 PM

4 straight is a exaggeration. Just because they'll probably dominate a weak east again they'll still see a pretty good team in the finals. No gaurantee they get past them.

slaker619
08-24-2013, 04:22 PM
They should've upgraded a C position thought and Cole & Chalmers can hold it down!

I Rock Shaqs
08-24-2013, 04:25 PM
yeah i think we've already established that you just throw crap at the wall and hope it sticks LOL get ur IQ up

Who is we? And you got that from one post? I said none of those guys ARE free agents, and you reply saying they WERE free agents, stop worrying about my IQ and learn how to read.

Dade County
08-24-2013, 04:47 PM

Simple...

All they have to do is to start to play real. That means no more forcing game 7's, not forgetting how to shoot, dribble, pass, play aggressive/attacking the rim...etc

If the HEAT do that, they should only have to play 18 or 19 games in the upcoming post season maybe. Just think back to year 1 of the HEAT post season run; 3 defeats in the east, then we all know what happened in the finals; LBJ forgot how to dribble, attack the basket, putting up a shot or two in the 4th...etc

So long story short, only stern/Lbj/power to be's can defeat the HEAT.

Slug3
08-24-2013, 05:19 PM
I think Miami set themselves up to try and get someone later on in the year when they might get cut. But really Miami has Lebron, and at this moment he is still the best player in the league.

SteBO
08-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Meh....they haven't improved like other teams, but its not they needed a lot improvement to begin with. I still love their chances in winning it all again. It just comes down to their health. Personnel-wise, they're pretty much right where they need to be.

Knick_Fever
08-24-2013, 05:44 PM
There's no doubt the Heat are keeping pace, they dont have to add anyone else to but they need Wade to be relatively healthy. They're gonna do a good job preserving him so I think we'll see a team much like this past season. They'll be fine, but series' will be extended for them in the East.

HouRealCoach
08-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Some of you guys are some good drugs... Knicks are one of the top 4 teams in the East

They have a top defensive C in the NBA. 6th man of the year, leading scorer... The 2nd & 3rd options were JR Smith & Raymond Felton and they still went 54-28. They still went 6-2 against the top 3 teams in the NBA, even though Melo was out for 2 of them. We had no frontcourt, had a BUNCH of injuries, and STILL managed to be a top team.

You guys are the same ones who said we wouldn't be better than the Nets last year. I don't see how they added two 35+ year olds and are now a top team. Jason Kidd is an inexperienced coach, Deron Williams hasn't gotten along with a coach since he played with Boozer, Joe Johnson hasn't played hard since he got his contract, Lopez can't rebound, AK47 is going to be a role player at best. They are going to be much like the Lakers were last season.

Derrick Rose is coming back, yes but he isn't going to be the same player. Even if he was, it would take away from Deng, Noah, etc. and all of the talent they have because he is so ball dominant. He isn't even the biggest reason for their success, it's Thibs. But during the season they might have a better record.

Indiana, smh... Granger is coming back, that's going to take away from George's growth. Hibbert's regular season numbers have been average at best. One good playoff series against a pogostick like Bosh don't make you a top player, if that was the case then Bonzi Wells was a superstar in 2006. People really need to quit riding this team's jock

Knicks WILL be the third seed, if not the second next year

As for the topic, Heat will be just fine...

Knick_Fever
08-24-2013, 05:54 PM

No offense but Jones and Lewis arent anywhere near to what Miller was to the Heat. Miller was consistent, and played with a keen sense of intelligence. He has a great feel for the game, especially at crunch time. There is no comparison and difficult to duplicate. People that know basketball will tell you how significant of a loss this was for the Heat. You simply just cannot replace that kind of value with two knuckleheads in Jones and Lewis.

BALLER R
08-24-2013, 06:10 PM
It depends on who they face. I honestly think if they face an 8th seed like Toronto, Cleveland or Detriot. Then going on to face two of these teams New York, Brooklyn, Chicago and Indiana in the 2nd and conference finals It might worry me.

Indiana gave them trouble this year. Indy improved, plus Brooklyn. Not to mention bulls will give them trouble if they stay healthy.

I think they needed to add a couple young pieces. Because Wade and Bosh have been injured these past two years so I can't count on them being healthy come playoff time. But if they made it out the east then that 3 peat is theirs.

Clippers vs Heat would be pretty good. I think that would be one of the most exciting series.

MTar786
08-24-2013, 07:55 PM
wade being healthy is the biggest improvement the heat can have. if he's himself in the playoffs the heat are just too good and you can count on a 3peat. if he's not then they'll be vulnerable again and likely need a little luck to pull it out.

i agree here. if miami had the real wade. they would have beat all the teams they faced even more than they did. but i think most people on here think wade is done. but that is left ot be seen. If i see a finished wade this season then i see miami not 3peating. the west is stacked. but theres no clearcut powerhouse team above anyone there. thunder are good but not a team to remember, nor are the spurs. the clippers have a chance if all cylinders click. (blake becoming a stud. cp3 being a playoff factor. the new additions meshing.)

for some reason, i see the finals being clippers vs heat. if there sno healthy wade then i say nets or pacers. if clippers dont make it then west has no chance at winning this year.

Chronz
08-24-2013, 08:14 PM

This is my thinking as well

bearadonisdna
08-25-2013, 02:40 AM
I dont get the miami free pass. They should have lost game 6 to SA and that would have effectively probably shipped out Bosh.
They had to put mike miller in starting lineup cuz they were getting dusted when there was adequate d on lebron. They lost him with no replacement. Indy for example took them to game 7. They made improvements , Miami didnt. u do the math.

Chicago was the only team in the nba to take out their win streak. Thats without Rose. And no running out but the heat didnt care about the regular season this time they DID.

SportsFanatic10
08-25-2013, 02:43 AM
I dont get the miami free pass. They should have lost game 6 to SA and that would have effectively probably shipped out Bosh.
They had to put mike miller in starting lineup cuz they were getting dusted when there was adequate d on lebron. They lost him with no replacement. Indy for example took them to game 7. They made improvements , Miami didnt. u do the math.

Chicago was the only team in the nba to take out their win streak. Thats without Rose. And no running out but the heat didnt care about the regular season this time they DID.

great, chicago ended a streak that had to end sometime, didn't matter when they met in the playoffs once again.

bearadonisdna
08-25-2013, 02:45 AM
great, chicago ended a streak that had to end sometime, didn't matter when they met in the playoffs once again.

The Bulls were obviously depleted but were steal good enough to steal HCA for a game.

bearadonisdna
08-25-2013, 02:47 AM
The heat dont even have the best starting lineup on paper any more. Arguably the Bulls and Net have a good as or better starting lineup.

Buckwheat
08-25-2013, 02:49 AM
Some of you guys are some good drugs... Knicks are one of the top 4 teams in the East

They have a top defensive C in the NBA. 6th man of the year, leading scorer... The 2nd & 3rd options were JR Smith & Raymond Felton and they still went 54-28. They still went 6-2 against the top 3 teams in the NBA, even though Melo was out for 2 of them. We had no frontcourt, had a BUNCH of injuries, and STILL managed to be a top team.

You guys are the same ones who said we wouldn't be better than the Nets last year. I don't see how they added two 35+ year olds and are now a top team. Jason Kidd is an inexperienced coach, Deron Williams hasn't gotten along with a coach since he played with Boozer, Joe Johnson hasn't played hard since he got his contract, Lopez can't rebound, AK47 is going to be a role player at best. They are going to be much like the Lakers were last season.

Derrick Rose is coming back, yes but he isn't going to be the same player. Even if he was, it would take away from Deng, Noah, etc. and all of the talent they have because he is so ball dominant. He isn't even the biggest reason for their success, it's Thibs. But during the season they might have a better record.

Indiana, smh... Granger is coming back, that's going to take away from George's growth. Hibbert's regular season numbers have been average at best. One good playoff series against a pogostick like Bosh don't make you a top player, if that was the case then Bonzi Wells was a superstar in 2006. People really need to quit riding this team's jock

Knicks WILL be the third seed, if not the second next year

As for the topic, Heat will be just fine...

This is hilariously absurd. It's George's team now. Having Granger for another season will not stunt George's development. At all. And that gives them Stephenson and Scola on the bench now.

Yeah, why should people be high up on an improved Pacers team? They've only taken the two-time defending champs to six and seven games the past two years. :laugh2: Clueless.

SportsFanatic10
The Bulls were obviously depleted but were steal good enough to steal HCA for a game.

the heat weren't at full strength either. they are a top heavy team with their 2nd best player hurt so bad he was nearly a role player in the playoffs. and they still won it all lol! if wade is healthy the heat are simply the best team in the league, the 3peat will hinge on his health not some off season pickup.

SportsFanatic10
The heat dont even have the best starting lineup on paper any more. Arguably the Bulls and Net have a good as or better starting lineup.

so did the lakers last year.

bearadonisdna
08-25-2013, 02:50 AM
so did the lakers last year.

well thats outside the conference. The Bulls at least dont have a hastily put together roster. As in they are not the Lakers and these guys have been together.

SportsFanatic10
08-25-2013, 02:53 AM
well thats outside the conference. The Bulls at least dont have a hastily put together roster.

i won't argue that the bulls aren't good because i know they are very good actually. but if both teams are fully healthy they aren't beating miami imo. the heat don't have to improve through signing free agents/trades to beat them, they have to have wade playing on two legs. the heat have won the east 3 years in a row with injuries themselves.

bearadonisdna
08-25-2013, 02:55 AM
the heat weren't at full strength either. they are a top heavy team with their 2nd best player hurt so bad he was nearly a role player in the playoffs. and they still won it all lol! if wade is healthy the heat are simply the best team in the league, the 3peat will hinge on his health not some off season pickup.

They are not far away the best. They barely won this year (spurs) and get pushed to 7 by teams considered weaker than them(Boston, Indy). Wades health or not if dont keep up u get left behind.

SportsFanatic10
08-25-2013, 02:58 AM
They are not far away the best. They barely won this year (spurs) and get pushed to 7 by teams considered weaker than them(Boston, Indy). Wades health or not if dont keep up u get left behind.

that last line makes no sense. if wades healthy those series aren't as close and the heat aren't nearly as vulnerable. his lack of health is the entire reason for them barely winning. at full strength they're further ahead of the pack then you think, and aren't trying to keep up let alone being left behind lol.

bearadonisdna
08-25-2013, 03:18 AM
that last line makes no sense. if wades healthy those series aren't as close and the heat aren't nearly as vulnerable. his lack of health is the entire reason for them barely winning. at full strength they're further ahead of the pack then you think, and aren't trying to keep up let alone being left behind lol.

Keep thinkng that. Mike Miller was key in both finals series. So much so int he second finals that he had to be thrusted into the starting lineup. And now with no replacement.

SportsFanatic10
08-25-2013, 03:24 AM
Keep thinkng that. Mike Miller was key in both finals series. So much so int he second finals that he had to be thrusted into the starting lineup. And now with no replacement.

i will, it's the obvious truth. losing miller sucks, but allen/battier/chalmers/jones/lewis can all shoot the 3 just fine. miller really didn't do much in this last finals other than have a good shooting performance in a loss. there where games he got 0 points as a starter, but ya the 3peat hopes are gone now that he is lol. wade is the key and anyone with a brain knows it.

bearadonisdna
08-25-2013, 03:28 AM
i will, it's the obvious truth. losing miller sucks, but allen/battier/chalmers/jones/lewis can all shoot the 3 just fine. miller really didn't do much in this last finals other than have a good shooting performance in a loss. there where games he got 0 points as a starter, but ya the 3peat hopes are gone now that he is lol. wade is the key and anyone with a brain knows it.

Sure he is a key but every playoff series that the heat encounter trouble they switch up their lineup like a gal switches her panties. Which other top east teams have lost a starter with no suitable replacement. no one but the heat.

SportsFanatic10
08-25-2013, 03:33 AM
Sure he is a key but every playoff series that the heat encounter trouble they switch up their lineup like a gal switches her panties. Which other top east teams have lost a starter with no suitable replacement. no one but the heat.

you can consider miller a starter if you want, but as much as i loved having him it's pretty funny. that's just spo tinkering. and you always disregard wade's health as if you don't understand or something. isn't a healthy wade instead of an injured one averaging 16pts in the playoffs WAY better then losing miller lol get real here they still won it anyway. sure it's possible he gets hurt again, but that's not the argument, all i'm saying is the heat have the potential to be much better than last year in the playoffs even with losing miller and adding nothing but oden. and they still have the full MLE to spend if they choose, they're in a good situation no matter how you look at it.

bearadonisdna
08-25-2013, 03:39 AM
you can consider miller a starter if you want, but as much as i loved having him it's pretty funny. that's just spo tinkering. and you always disregard wade's health as if you don't understand or something. isn't a healthy wade instead of an injured one averaging 16pts in the playoffs WAY better then losing miller lol get real here they still won it anyway. sure it's possible he gets hurt again, but that's not the argument, all i'm saying is the heat have the potential to be much better than last year in the playoffs even with losing miller and adding nothing but oden. and they still have the full MLE to spend if they choose, they're in a good situation no matter how you look at it.

They can not have the FMLE. Between the big three themselves thats 60 mil right there which is right against the cap.

SportsFanatic10
08-25-2013, 03:42 AM
They can not have the FMLE. Between the big three themselves thats 60 mil right there which is right against the cap.

ya i worded it wrong, what i meant was they haven't used any of their exception on oden or anyone yet. they can still sign someone for 3 million besides vet min contracts.

SportsFanatic10
08-25-2013, 03:46 AM
like this http://theleaguenews.com/miami-heat-interested-richard-hamilton/ among other possibilities.

KnickaBocka.44
08-25-2013, 12:29 PM
This is my thinking as well

What do you think the chances of him staying healthy are though?

therealwd27
08-25-2013, 12:52 PM
like this http://theleaguenews.com/miami-heat-interested-richard-hamilton/ among other possibilities.

Lol its not worth it man, don't waste your energy not with some of these people. Just write what they want to hear, once the whistle blows nothing else matters. Rose, Durant, George, Melo, Pierce/KG are all better then Lebron, the heat will be eliminated in a historic regular season playoffs, if they make it to the playoffs they will be swept by the bobcats or the Cavs, Lebron will leave Miami clone himself and sign with the Nets Bulls Knicks and Pacers but the original LBJ will go back to the cavs.

wasting your time bro, these people are stuck on stupid and parked on dumb.

Dade County
08-25-2013, 01:30 PM

That was for entertainment reasons.

hugepatsfan
08-25-2013, 01:46 PM
No, they haven't "kept pace" in terms of improving their roster with the other top contenders in the East. But MIA was much better than any of them to begin with so they didn't have to.

bearadonisdna
08-25-2013, 02:47 PM
No, they haven't "kept pace" in terms of improving their roster with the other top contenders in the East. But MIA was much better than any of them to begin with so they didn't have to.

Granted. But say they meet up with the pacers or spurs who took them to 7. The Pacers and Spurs made improvements the heats havent. What say u in a playoff series? Doesnt logic propel these teams over the proverbial heat hump?

Htownballa1622
08-25-2013, 02:47 PM
lol. Heat are still better than anyone in the East when fully healthy.

Htownballa1622
08-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Granted. But say they meet up with the pacers or spurs who took them to 7. The Pacers and Spurs made improvements the heats havent. What say u in a playoff series? Doesnt logic propel these teams over the proverbial heat hump?

Just because they've made improvements doesnt mean that puts them over the champs.

bearadonisdna
08-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Just because they've made improvements doesnt mean that puts them over the champs.

But not only have the heat not made an improvement, they got worse. Oden as we speak is not healthy enough to commit to opening day and hasnt been in the nba in three years. He is basically a science experiment funded by the heats dime.

ryang
08-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Oden will have little to no role on this team. And it's for the vet min. He took juwan Howard's spot. Why do people think oden has anything to do with the success of this team. The Heat will be fine.

KnickaBocka.44
08-25-2013, 03:16 PM
But not only have the heat not made an improvement, they got worse. Oden as we speak is not healthy enough to commit to opening day and hasnt been in the nba in three years. He is basically a science experiment funded by the heats dime.

How is having Oden any worse than having Juwan Howard?

bearadonisdna
08-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Oden will have little to no role on this team. And it's for the vet min. He took juwan Howard's spot. Why do people think oden has anything to do with the success of this team. The Heat will be fine.

Totally agreed.

bearadonisdna
08-25-2013, 06:01 PM
How is having Oden any worse than having Juwan Howard?

He isnt. Ok.But given he is in the juwan howard role by making no moves this offseason, having no first round pick and losing a finals starter they plausibly have gotten worse.

shep33
08-25-2013, 06:06 PM
All depends on Wade. If he breaks down again, then I don't think they can win another title this year.

But if he's healthy, then without a doubt they're the favorites

SportsFanatic10
08-26-2013, 01:09 AM

saying the heat got worse is assuming wade will be hurt again. as i've said over and over in this thread if wade is healthy the heat are better than last year by a huge amount. if he's hurt again then they are very slightly worse than last year. although there's the small chance oden surprises and is able to contribute some solid playoff minutes, than they're slightly better than last year. and again all this is as of now, the heat can split their 3 million mle among 2 players for slightly more than the vet min, or sign 1 player for all 3 million, with the buyouts later in the year you never know what will happen like birdman last year. but just keep repeating your nonsense, i hope the heat can face the bulls again this season to eliminate them for the 3rd time in 4 years.