PDA

View Full Version : Do the Clippers have the most disrespectful FO in the NBA?

sunsfan88
08-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Caron Butler was traded to the Phoenix Suns in the trade that brought J.J. Redick and Jared Dudley to Los Angeles, and he says no one from the Clippers' front office has called him at any point since -- about the trade or simply to say thanks.

“I don’t leave with bitterness or anything, but a phone call would have helped the situation,” Butler said. “But it’s cool, it’s no hard feelings because that’s the nature of the business."

Butler was part of the Clippers' historic year last season.

“It’s a fun team to watch,” Butler continued. “Up-and-down tempo, you look at the high flyers of Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan and you’ve got a magician with the ball in Chris Paul. You got shooters around them, you got J.J. Redick, and a great coach and a great coaching staff. You look at that and that’s real appealing, and that’s Hollywood.”

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/08/22/butler-embraces-trade-to-suns/

Didn't the Clippers do this exact same thing with Eric Gordon also? I remember hearing him say that it would have been nice to actually hear from the team he played for and got drafted by.

It's not like either Gordon or Butler were cancerous players or anything. Both were one of the veteran leaders on the Clippers teams at the time. Is it really that much to ask to call your player, thanking him for his efforts etc and letting him know he's getting traded? Sure it's a business etc but you don't really hear other teams constantly doing this.

We all know how the Clippers treated Baron Davis too during his time there with all the heckling etc.

Just seems like if they ever were to trade Griffin or CP3 they probably wouldn't let them know either.

Very arrogant and disrespectful imo. Maybe going from a bottom dweller to a contender in just a few months/year got to their heads.

Come flame away Clipper fans, I don't care.

Clippersfan86
08-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Well with Gordon and Kaman.... it was tricky. The team was at a charity event and if you believe Neil Olshey he said he was waiting at the facility for their return to tell them. He said it does no good though because agents leaked the trade and that's how they found out.

Baron Davis got treated exactly how he should have been. He inked a fat 13 mill a year contract then proceeded to come into camp severely out of shape every single year, which led to constant injuries. His heart was never 110 percent in like we expected, although when Gordon and Griffin got here, he tried more.

It has nothing to do with getting to anybody's heads. It has to do with a franchise still learning what it takes to be professional in every sense of the word. This isn't cool of course nor do I support it, just telling you what it is. The players and coaches that have come and gone have continued to call our organization first class, cream of the crop in how they were treated the last 3 years. Remember Stephen Jackson also saying the Spurs front office disrespected him last year? This isn't a rare occurring thing and I'm sure as the Clippers continue to evolve, things like this will happen less.

That was a long answer but you can sum that up as NO. If anything the Clippers are hands down a top 5 organization the last 3 years. In terms of productivity, professionalism, reputation. They have changed so much it's crazy and everybody from opposing coaches and GM's to ex players, to current players, to returning players, to leaving players has said as much. If you ask Caron about his stay here he would likely mention how fantastic it was (he always said this while here at least). I think his only issue is related to no phone call.

hugepatsfan
08-23-2013, 11:22 AM
That's inexcusable not to call players when you trade them. There's no way around that. Making good personnel decisions like they largely have doesn't justify that at all.

Tony_Starks
08-23-2013, 12:01 PM
I can't single out the Clipps because players have been complaining about this league wide for years. A lot of guys don't even know they've been traded until they see it on espn.

It's cold but not every organization handles those things with class..

Stinkyoutsider
08-23-2013, 12:35 PM
It's not just the Clippers but I believe they handled the Butler situation wrong...

I can't give organizations/managers excuses for not being professional. One reason why managers are in the position to do what they do is partly because they represent the organization in a positive, professional manner. They should have called Butler and told him once they turned the paperwork into the league for approval.

I understand these organizations want to treat the players like assets but they're people too.

Chronz
08-23-2013, 12:41 PM
You disappoint in LA, they dont give a ****. Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

I loved Caron before he came to LAC, and I dont blame him for taking the money.

And why would LAC fans care if you trash the organization? You should see what they are currently doing to Antawn Jamison. He expected to sign with us, is STILL waiting/hoping to sign with us, but we flat out told him we prefer Odom and will wait on him before we get to you.

Cracka2HI!
08-23-2013, 05:33 PM
I don't believe they are anymore. I am not happy to hear about Butler tho. Despite not being that good for us, when he came here it was seen as a big signing and helped start our reputation as a "destination". He is a better guy than player and deserved better. However I think it's pretty common for players not to get phone calls from their former team. I don't agree with it, but I don't think the Clippers are the only team.

beasted86
08-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Excuses... the team is just a low class team that takes after its terrible owner. You wouldn't see anything like that from Arison or Pat Riley, not with Shaq, not with anyone. That's why every player, even Shaq tell praises of the ownership after they leave.

ManRam
08-23-2013, 06:07 PM
The reality is none of us have the information to accurately answer this question.

OceanSpray
08-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Who cares? If you're as rich as them, you have bigger things to worry about than Caron Butler. I'm sorry, but it's true. Caron Butler is just a role player and most successful entrepreneurs can give a rat's *** about them.

UPRock
08-23-2013, 06:23 PM
The reality is none of us have the information to accurately answer this question.

This and this +1

akesh99
08-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Excuses... the team is just a low class team that takes after its terrible owner. You wouldn't see anything like that from Arison or Pat Riley, not with Shaq, not with anyone. That's why every player, even Shaq tell praises of the ownership after they leave.

How is this at all about Miami?

illastrate
08-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Um, that goes on everywhere in pro sports.

John Walls Era
08-23-2013, 07:27 PM
What did Butler want? A parade?

bearadonisdna
08-23-2013, 07:31 PM
AT the point of relinquishing a players rights a team has no obligation to talk to said player but to the players agent.
And who wants to talk to an NBA agent?

RLundi
08-23-2013, 07:36 PM

All this is probably true in some way, but thank you for making this about the Miami HEAT.

Chronz
08-23-2013, 09:01 PM
What did Shaq say?

albertajaysfan
08-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Who cares? If you're as rich as them, you have bigger things to worry about than Caron Butler. I'm sorry, but it's true. Caron Butler is just a role player and most successful entrepreneurs can give a rat's *** about them.

Except the management of the organization are not entrepeneurs, they are employees of the organization. It is their job to manage the organization.

While I have no idea how widespread this is in the league it would make sense to me to get a simple phone call. It is a classy thing to do for anyone who has been a part of your organization regardless of their status or position.

smith&wesson
08-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Itís just business. Get over it. They donít need to consult with you to trade you. Unless of course you have a no trade clause.

lamzoka
08-23-2013, 10:33 PM
What did Butler want? A parade?

A phone call

lamzoka
08-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Itís just business. Get over it. They donít need to consult with you to trade you. Unless of course you have a no trade clause.

and then we blame free agents (lebron) for leaving.

Tony_Starks
08-23-2013, 11:13 PM
What did Shaq say?

He must've forgot about the not so kind words Shaq had to say about the organization when they traded him to Phoenix...

MrfadeawayJB
08-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Yeah most teams will at least tweet a player using the franchise account and thank them for their services and wish them the best. Seems cold to me, especially since he was a good vet / locker room guy

Chronz
08-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Yeah most teams will at least tweet a player using the franchise account and thank them for their services and wish them the best. Seems cold to me, especially since he was a good vet / locker room guy

If LA were a small market, Im sure they would care more.

And being a good vet is just another way of saying unproductive old guy. Its not like he brought huge intangibles either. Just a solid vet, easily replaceable

when he came here it was seen as a big signing and helped start our reputation as a "destination".

U still on that? Whoever thought it was a big signing is foolish, he didn't start ****. Cuttino Mobley fans said the same thing about him..... still dont see it..... Anytime you have to overpay for pedestrians, you're not doing anything special. I mean who exactly did Caron get to come cheap for us? Im pretty sure it was the trade of CP3 and the impact of Blake that turned LAC into a "destination", I mean its not like we're a small market either, people will always come to LA for big money bro, Caron hasn't changed a damn thing, neither did Cuttino.

MrfadeawayJB
08-24-2013, 12:27 AM

If LA were a small market, Im sure they would care more. Being a good vet is just another way of saying unproductive old guy IMO. Its not like he brought huge intangibles either. Just a solid vet, easily replaceable

Yea that's a good point. Butler had a few good yrs but injuries hurt his production. I agree small markets go out of their way to do these things because its part if the draw. If a potential FA asks about a small market team (Memphis, Indy, etc) and the last thing former players remember was a kind gesture, it could help future FRee agents go there. La, nyk, don't need to do this, the city is the draw. I still think when a player was there for a good amount of time a "best if luck" is in order

Chronz
08-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Yea that's a good point. Butler had a few good yrs but injuries hurt his production. I agree small markets go out of their way to do these things because its part if the draw. If a potential FA asks about a small market team (Memphis, Indy, etc) and the last thing former players remember was a kind gesture, it could help future FRee agents go there. La, nyk, don't need to do this, the city is the draw. I still think when a player was there for a good amount of time a "best if luck" is in order

If Butler had those good years with us then maybe he would get that treatment, but with Sterling you kind of expect him to toss u out once you're all used up. Wish it were different but hes only going to be alive so much longer.

Cracka2HI!
08-24-2013, 07:23 PM
If LA were a small market, Im sure they would care more.

And being a good vet is just another way of saying unproductive old guy. Its not like he brought huge intangibles either. Just a solid vet, easily replaceable

U still on that? Whoever thought it was a big signing is foolish, he didn't start ****. Cuttino Mobley fans said the same thing about him..... still dont see it..... Anytime you have to overpay for pedestrians, you're not doing anything special. I mean who exactly did Caron get to come cheap for us? Im pretty sure it was the trade of CP3 and the impact of Blake that turned LAC into a "destination", I mean its not like we're a small market either, people will always come to LA for big money bro, Caron hasn't changed a damn thing, neither did Cuttino.
Mobley and Butler were good signings because they showed the team was willing to spend money. No their play did not change the reputation of the team but maybe CP3 doesn't agree to come play here for 2 years had we not made those signings. I would have liked to seen the team at least give him a call. It's not really a big deal to me tho, I still think the team is a top notch organiztion right now.

Clippersfan86
08-24-2013, 07:42 PM
I think comparing Cuttino to Caron isn't fair. Mentality wise and leadership wise similar but Cuttino was actually a very productive player his years here unlike Caron who was average.

SteBO
08-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Pay Riley pulled this same crap with PJ Brown......it happens all the time. Singling out the Clips in that matter isn't a great idea imo.

Clippersfan86
08-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Pay Riley pulled this same crap with PJ Brown......it happens all the time. Singling out the Clips in that matter isn't a great idea imo.

Glad to see people speaking up about this, kudos. Every team does it, even the best run organizations like San Antonio, Miami, Los Angeles (Lakers) and others. Hell remember all the drama Gasol/Odom/Jamison have had the last few years feeling disrespected according to them? Remember Stephen Jackson/DeJuan Blair both talking about how disrespected they have felt by the Spurs? Sh** happens like this.

Do I think it's a nice thing to do? Hell no. If I was the GM I'd personally call EVERYBODY, even scrubs to inform them they were traded and to thank them for their service. But as Chronz I believe it was mentioned... usually that news is handled through agents.. so it comes off as a bit unnecessary probably.

Chronz
08-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Mobley and Butler were good signings because they showed the team was willing to spend money. No their play did not change the reputation of the team but maybe CP3 doesn't agree to come play here for 2 years had we not made those signings. I would have liked to seen the team at least give him a call. It's not really a big deal to me tho, I still think the team is a top notch organiztion right now.
Pass that ish

I think comparing Cuttino to Caron isn't fair. Mentality wise and leadership wise similar but Cuttino was actually a very productive player his years here unlike Caron who was average.
Both were below average. I liked Mobley for his defense against bigger players, but he was nothing but a minutes sponge. In that sense he was productive, the guy never missed games but both were innocuous at best but detrimental on average IMO.

Matrix3132
08-24-2013, 10:07 PM

No one is saying they need to consult with someone to trade them, it just seems like someone with the team would call caron up and say, "it was great knowing you, thanks for the time you put in, good luck". A 1-minute phone call could avoid the bad publicity from this getting out and next time another player asks caron, "what was it like playing with the clippers?" caron might have a more positive opinion about a team with one of the worst reputations in sports

OceanSpray
08-26-2013, 01:36 AM
Except the management of the organization are not entrepeneurs, they are employees of the organization. It is their job to manage the organization.

While I have no idea how widespread this is in the league it would make sense to me to get a simple phone call. It is a classy thing to do for anyone who has been a part of your organization regardless of their status or position.

In a wealthy man's eyes, they don't care about role players. Sorry, but it's the truth. There are very few rich folks out there who would give you the fair treatment. Steve Jobs wasn't a great boss. Butler is a role player and I just think the management felt inclined to notify someone who wasn't a huge deal.

b@llhog24
08-26-2013, 10:33 AM
In a wealthy man's eyes, they don't care about role players. Sorry, but it's the truth. There are very few rich folks out there who would give you the fair treatment. Steve Jobs wasn't a great boss. Butler is a role player and I just think the management felt inclined to notify someone who wasn't a huge deal.

Nobody ever knows how you make these connections.

Trueblue2
08-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Arent you not allowed to contact other teams players if youre an owner? What if the trade went through right away and Phoenix basically said now or never? Some trades take a while and are agreed upon in principle before they are signed, and in that case the player is informed. But if its a plan b that goes through right away then a FO might not have a chance to contact the player, especially a role player who was thrown in to make salarys match.

arlubas
08-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Baron Davis got treated exactly how he should have been. He inked a fat 13 mill a year contract then proceeded to come into camp severely out of shape every single year, which led to constant injuries. His heart was never 110 percent in like we expected, although when Gordon and Griffin got here, he tried more.
The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

ThuglifeJ
08-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Yes

Clippersfan86
08-29-2013, 12:47 AM
http://www.nba.com/clippers/video/2013/08/28/AntawnJamisonmp4-2579920

Yet another new player calls the organization first class.

OceanSpray
08-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Nobody ever knows how you make these connections.

Because you're not smart and you can't comprehend analogies due to your lack of information. People who are rich and don't need you, will drop you. Steve Jobs did it, many CEO's do it, and NBA owners/management are no different. If they have no use for you, they will more than just drop you without a notification. Welcome to the real world of business...

cmellofan15
08-29-2013, 06:49 PM
A bit much on that one^

But anyways, new lakers management might be heading in the same direction with the way they treated Phil Jackson and Artest

illastrate
08-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Odom on the Lakers trading him:

"I thought I was going to be here the rest of my whole life. I would think I would at least get a call."

Classy move by the Lakers right? Right?

ThuglifeJ
08-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Clipper Darell or w.e his name. Nuff said. They have one good season and they think they're too good for everyone, even their biggest supporter who has no money yet spends it on season tickets on a bottom feeder team each year..

All a sudden they think they're Boston/LA status..

Just look at all the clipper posters on this site. All of a sudden they got so much to say

Clippersfan86
08-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Clipper Darell or w.e his name. Nuff said. They have one good season and they think they're too good for everyone, even their biggest supporter who has no money yet spends it on season tickets on a bottom feeder team each year..

Just look at all the clipper posters on this site. All of a sudden they got so much to say

You're acting like a douche, straight up. Ironically the comment "all the sudden think Boston/LA status made me chuckle because that's exactly how YOU act. Like you're above everybody else. No Clippers fans here act like that. I can be confrontational and a homer no doubt but I'd never be a condescending dick out of nowhere like you. As long as people respect the Clippers/me... I'll give you the exact same.

Doesn't matter if you're a Lakers fan or a Bucks fan. I'm easily the most rambunctious and loud Clippers fan here yet every time somebody calls me out for being a homer they end up realizing I have very fair expectations. I've never said we are a finals team... or the best team or anything bogus like that.

Some fans like yourself expect Clippers fans to stay oppressed and it bugs you that they are more relevant than at least 25 teams right now including the Bulls probably. The Clippers got good and people REALLY seem to hate that for the most part. It's not one good year it's 3 good years on the upswing with an insanely bright future. Considering the team has had 30 years of mostly mediocrity what did you expect when they finally get good? It's an exciting time and a great time to feel good about where the team is headed.

Kashmir13579
08-29-2013, 11:36 PM
I don't think they're worse Dolan's slimy ***, but i don't have all the facts, here.

Cracka2HI!
08-30-2013, 03:37 AM

That's a bad take. Clipper Darrell is not an employee of the Clippers organization. He was making money off of the team name. The team just asked him to abide by team rules if he was going to use the Clippers brand to make money. He refused and they kicked him out. Since then he is back going to games. FAIL!

sunsfan88
08-30-2013, 03:51 AM
Suns trade Butler to his hometown team.

Caron Butler ‏@realtuffjuice 28 Aug

Much respect for the organization of the Phx Suns#staytuned