PDA

View Full Version : Which team would win?

atad76
08-22-2013, 10:46 AM
If the following players from team 1 played against the players on team 2 in a seven game series, all in their prime which team would win?

Team 1
Penny Hardaway
Kobe
Lebron James
Hakeem Olajuwon or Tim Duncan
Shaq

vs

Team 2
Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird or Dr J
Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain

todu82
08-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Team 2 would win a close game.

atad76
08-22-2013, 11:07 AM
I hear you. I guess it could go either way really huh?

MrfadeawayJB
08-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Tie lol

Spanklin
08-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Shaq would make Russell and Chamberlain cry bloody tears. Kobe-Jordan is a wash. LeBron would **** punt Bird on one end and smother Magic on the other. Team 2 has zero advantage.

jerellh528
08-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Team 1 shaq/ Duncan or Hakeem would be way too much for chamberlain and Russell who IMO who are two of the most overrated players in nba history. Lol curious as to why you selected penny?

NYKnickFanatic
08-22-2013, 01:48 PM
All prime? I would go with team 1.

NYKnickFanatic
08-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Team 1 shaq/ Duncan or Hakeem would be way too much for chamberlain and Russell who IMO who are two of the most overrated players in nba history. Lol curious as to why you selected penny?

Shaq alone would be too much for them lol.

atad76
08-22-2013, 01:55 PM
I selected penny because of his height. All other point guards would have been too short against magic.

SOS
08-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Shaq would make Russell and Chamberlain cry bloody tears. Kobe-Jordan is a wash LeBron would **** punt Bird on one end and smother Magic on the other. Team 2 has zero advantage.

What

Hawkeye15
08-22-2013, 02:06 PM
team 1, I think their advantage up front does it for them.

SanAntonioSpurs23
08-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Shaq would make Russell and Chamberlain cry bloody tears. Kobe-Jordan is a wash. LeBron would **** punt Bird on one end and smother Magic on the other. Team 2 has zero advantage.

:laugh:

Tony_Starks
08-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Based off intelligence, fundamentals, and clutch factor I have to roll with team 2...

OceanSpray
08-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Team 1
Penny Hardaway
Kobe
Lebron James
Shaq

vs

Team 2
Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird or Dr J
Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain

Wow, easily team 1. Wilt/Bill never seen someone of Shaq/Hakeem's style of play. They would be dominated easily because Hakeem would just play mind games with them. The rest wouldn't even matter. Shaq+Hakeem front court? Yeah right.

abe_froman
08-22-2013, 03:10 PM
give me team 2

mjm07
08-22-2013, 03:20 PM
What an epic series that would be if it would actually happen but Team 1 with that dominance in the frontcourt is way too much for Team 2.

atad76
08-22-2013, 03:29 PM
What an epic series that would be if it would actually happen but Team 1 with that dominance in the frontcourt is way too much for Team 2.

I'm surprised that quite a few people think the Shaq and Hakeem combo would dominate Wilt and Russell. Especially when you consider the fact that Wilt and Russell were such great defenders and shot blockers, and Wilt was extremely dominant offensively, strong and athletic for a 7' 2" center. The guy averaged incredible numbers in points rebounds and assists in his prime.

rjkgr
08-22-2013, 03:42 PM
thats not even funny haha magic jordan and bird is a trio lebron wade and bosh are nothing compared to that haha team 2

Tony_Starks
08-22-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm surprised that quite a few people think the Shaq and Hakeem combo would dominate Wilt and Russell. Especially when you consider the fact that Wilt and Russell were such great defenders and shot blockers, and Wilt was extremely dominant offensively, strong and athletic for a 7' 2" center. The guy averaged incredible numbers in points rebounds and assists in his prime.

This is true. Keep in mind Shaq never saw anyone as dominant offensively as Wilt. As great as Shaq was he was never known as being a defensive minded center. Then throw in Russells defense? It wouldn't be as one sided as people think...

mjm07
08-22-2013, 03:47 PM

Don't mean to take anything away from Russell or Wilt's accomplishment but neither had to deal with players of Shaq's calibur. Not saying they'd get destroyed but over a 7 gm series, Team 1 would win mainly b/c of their bigs.

OceanSpray
08-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Bill Russell and Wilt never seen the likes of great big men. Truly great big men. Hakeem faced off vs Kareem, Shaq vs Tim Duncan, Robinson, Ewing, 90's was the era of big men ball. These guys battled it out constantly. It wasn't back then when Wilt/Bill were without a doubt just playing against each other as competition. Bill was blocking shots left and right because the competition was minimal. Very sorry but Hakeem easily destroys Bill. Bill would be calling travel every time Hakeem shows him up with his footwork.

the avenger
08-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Team 2 easily...

Minimal
08-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Team 1, mostly of balanced trio of LeBron, Duncan & Shaq.

ChicagoJ
08-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Having magic as your point guard and mj on the same team along with the other matchups, it would be too much for team 1 to overcome. Team 2 wins.

krisxsong
08-22-2013, 06:08 PM
If the following players from team 1 played against the players on team 2 in a seven game series, all in their prime which team would win?

Team 1
Penny Hardaway
Kobe
Lebron James
Shaq

vs

Team 2
Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird or Dr J
Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain

Nobody knows, but team 2 IMO has the better team on paper.

abe_froman
08-22-2013, 06:40 PM
because shaq/hakeem are newer,played in this era,everyone saw them play...and they assume your plucking wilt/russell straight from 1960's with no advantages in modern training ,nutritional knowledge,ect. that shaq and hakeem had.with era adjusted in mind imo its pretty difficult to argue team 1 over team 2,wilt and mj are the 2 greatest peaks of all time

atad76
08-22-2013, 07:38 PM
because shaq/hakeem are newer,played in this era,everyone saw them play...and they assume your plucking wilt/russell straight from 1960's with no advantages in modern training ,nutritional knowledge,ect. that shaq and hakeem had.with era adjusted in mind imo its pretty difficult to argue team 1 over team 2,wilt and mj are the 2 greatest peaks of all time

Well said.

Bostonjorge
08-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Team 1 but if its for a title then lebron is easily the worst player in the series.

ohreally
08-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Team 2 easily...

Agree, no contest. Shaq would not be butt bumping Wilt out of the way and Shaq would foul out real quick trying to guard him. Could get into some horrendous hack a Shaq hack a Wilt sequences though.

Dade County
08-22-2013, 09:22 PM

****ing crazy right..smh

on another note: ( people still think that Kobe is like top 4 in the league right now )

Kobe hasn't been prime kobe for like 6yrs now, and...just forget it, crazy *** people on this forum ( and yes I am one of them I guess; NBA = Entertainment ).

Bishnoff
08-22-2013, 10:05 PM
I think Team 2 would win, but it would be a very interesting game. I love that Penny was chosen. He was a freak when healthy.

I think people are forgetting (or do not know) how strong Wilt was. I'm sure he could hold his own against Shaq.

Bruins2012
08-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Larry Legends trash talk alone would win the game for Team 2. LBJ would fall apart b/c of Larry Legend's greatness. And this is coming from a Celtics fan.

Pablonovi
08-23-2013, 11:43 AM

Hey abe_froman,
I agree that Wilt & MJ had at least 2 of the four best peaks of all time. (Along with KAJ and LeBron).

Guards: Magic-MJ crush ANY other set of guards in history; w/ Magic's passing MJ would be INSANE

Forwards: LeBron-Hakeem crush Bird-Russell (Russell with his terrible shooting % basically wouldn't score!) [I'd take KAJ 100% of the time OVER Russell; because his defense was plenty good enough; and his offense, especially the Sky Hook was unstoppable.]

Centers: Wilt VS Shaq (a wash) (Sure Shaq had unequaled mass, but Wilt was super-fast & better defense)

Would make for an incredibly intense and entertaining 7 game series. I honestly can't choose.

But if you swap KAJ in for Big Bill Russell; I'd have to go with older generation; because they'd win at Guard and they'd at least be equal at Forward; while the Center would be a tie. A Wilt-KAJ twin towers would be utterly amazing! THE deciding factor: PASSING (ball-movement). Nobody would out-pass Magic-Bird-KAJ.

NYKnickFanatic
08-23-2013, 11:48 AM

****ing crazy right..smh

on another note: ( people still think that Kobe is like top 4 in the league right now )

Kobe hasn't been prime kobe for like 6yrs now, and...just forget it, crazy *** people on this forum ( and yes I am one of them I guess; NBA = Entertainment ).

And Heat fans think Wade is a top 5 player in the league right now, what's your point?

Pablonovi
08-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Picture the three-some of Magic, Bird and KAJ (keeping in mind Magic's unequalled passing; and Bird's and KAJ's lethal shots always available to keep any team from double-teaming MJ & Wilt): In certain games/situations, if those 3 wanted to decide to show-off their brains-teamwork-passing, then MJ and Wilt would rack up 30+ points each (without a real sweat). Double-team MJ & Wilt, then Bird & KAJ go off for 30+ (equally without a real sweat).

Nobody ever shut down: MJ, KAJ and Wilt scoring-wise. Nobody comes close to Magic's court-vision PLUS passing to people in their sweet spots. And Bird's outside shots are unstoppable by LeBron (just as LeBron's inside game is unstoppable by Bird = a wash).

sunsfan88
08-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Team 2. I'm guessing those that are saying Team 1 are all the youngsters of this forum :rolleyes:

Stinkyoutsider
08-23-2013, 12:29 PM
It's close but I would go for team 2...

Russell is famous for forcing his opponents into doing what they're weakest at, so I would suspect that Shaq would be taking a ton of free throws. I think the Wilt and Duncan matchup would be great to see, but I give Wilt the advantage (slight).

The real question is, who's going to guard Lebron? Magic maybe? I really would like to see Lebron guarding Bird. Lebron is an incredible defender but Bird could score from anywhere on the court in his prime.

Pablonovi
08-23-2013, 01:06 PM
It's close but I would go for team 2...

Russell is famous for forcing his opponents into doing what they're weakest at, so I would suspect that Shaq would be taking a ton of free throws. I think the Wilt and Duncan matchup would be great to see, but I give Wilt the advantage (slight).

The real question is, who's going to guard Lebron? Magic maybe? I really would like to see Lebron guarding Bird. Lebron is an incredible defender but Bird could score from anywhere on the court in his prime.

Hey Stinkoutsider,
No, Magic guarding LeBron would be like a bullfighter using cape to try to stop a bull. And LeBron's great defense would be mostly wasted against Bird (Bird would both shoot over and pass around him).

It would have to be MJ - and boy would that be an All-Time Sight To See! I can picture a 7-game series in which both players INSIST that no one else help them with a double-team; and that they themselves NEVER switch-off to double-team somebody else. What an insane war.

jerellh528
08-23-2013, 03:49 PM

****ing crazy right..smh

Yeah, I don't see what's so funny. Jordan and Kobe in their peaks essentially is a wash. Neither has a great advantage over the other offensively or defensively... I really don't see how it's a funny statement to call it a wash. Yea obviously Jordan was better but Kobe can hold his own against him in every facet of the game.

RaiderLakersA's
08-23-2013, 04:08 PM
When you have 10 players, and 9 of the 10 players qualify as dominant not only in their primes but across any era, the team with the 1 guy who doesn't meet that criteria loses.

Sorry Little Penny. Now run along and go make change for Mr. Russell.

atad76
08-23-2013, 05:18 PM
When you have 10 players, and 9 of the 10 players qualify as dominant not only in their primes but across any era, the team with the 1 guy who doesn't meet that criteria loses.

That's funny! I hear you, but assuming penny played at that level for say 10 years, he would have been a guaranteed hall of famer. Which is why we should try to imagine him in his prime, before the injuries.

OceanSpray
08-23-2013, 06:27 PM

How exactly would Magic dominate Penny anyway? He's not much taller and Magic isn't a really good defender. It's not even but you're underestimating Penny. He was arguably the best PG in his prime and finished 3rd in MVP voting. If it weren't for injuries, we'd be talking about the 2nd or 3rd best PG ever.

Pablonovi
08-23-2013, 09:27 PM
How exactly would Magic dominate Penny anyway? He's not much taller and Magic isn't a really good defender. It's not even but you're underestimating Penny. He was arguably the best PG in his prime and finished 3rd in MVP voting. If it weren't for injuries, we'd be talking about the 2nd or 3rd best PG ever.

Well, seeing as none of the other players in the OP had their careers greatly-diminished by injury; I too have kept forgetting to raise this. Wouldn't either of these two be a legitimate replacement: Kidd or Nash?

Of course, nobody bests Magic at PG. BUT, neither of these two is a super-step down. Nash with that team would break all non-Magic records for assists. Kidd would be nearly as good assist-wise and decidedly better defense and rebounding wise. So wouldn't they be legit replacements?

Besides, most of us accept that Magic-MJ beats any other guard combo. IF the gap is not humongous; then it could theoretically be made up for at other positions.

cghcgjxjian
08-24-2013, 12:39 AM
I hear you. I guess it could go either way really huh?http://healthllife.com/images/images/18.gif