PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Mock Offseason Playoffs: 4 OKC Thunder vs. 5 Sacramento Kings

PatsSoxKnicks
08-22-2013, 03:41 AM
Every summer, PSD holds a game which mocks that year's NBA offseason. This year, users from the site took the reigns of NBA franchises and had to utilize their skills via draft, trades, and free agency to improve their teams. At the end of the game, GMs voted on how they believed the regular season of this game would shake up. These are the playoffs of PSD's 2013 NBA Mock Offseason.

Please take the time to consider each line up, the match-up itself, and vote on which team you believe would win in a seven game series.

The Thunder have homecourt advantage.

OKC Thunder Depth Chart:

Brandon Jennings(32)/Will Bynum(10)/Trey Burke(6)
Alonzo Gee(26)/Nick Young(16)/Trey Burke(6)
Kevin Durant(41)/Corey Maggette(7)
Ryan Anderson(32)/Dejaun Blair(8)/Trevor Booker(4)/Tyrus Thomas(4)
Marcin Gortat(34)/Byron Mullens(10)/Tyrus Thomas(2)/Daniel Orton(2)

Sacramento Kings Depth Chart:

Depth Chart:
PG: John Wall/Nate Robinson/Tony Wrotenf
SG:Aaron Afflalo /Victor Claver
SF: Danny Granger/Kyle Korver
PF: Lamarcus Aldridge/Chris Singleton
C: Nikola Vucevic/Andray Blatche/ Myers Leonard/Joel Anthony

Thunder Write-up:

In-depth reasons why Oklahoma City is better than Sacramento and will win this Playoff series in 4 games

Point Guards- Brandon Jennings(OKC) vs John Wall(SAC)

Between the two young and talented Point Guards Brandon Jennings averaged 17.5 PPG, 6.5 APG, and 3.1 RPG in 80 games played. Compared to the season prior Jennings averaged 19.1 PPG, 5.5 APG, and 3.4 RPG. The only thing that has changed is a difference in Points and Assists Per Game. In a 4 year career Jennings has only missed 37 games.

John Wall averaged 18.5 PPG, 4.0, RPG, and 7.6 APG last season in 49 games played. The season Prior to that Wall averaged 16.3 PPG, 4.5 RPG, and 8.0 APG in 66 games played. Wall in past seasons has missed some portions of the season. He has missed a total of 66 games in only 3 seasons, Thats 3/4ths of a season missed already.

Although the stats are almost identical with Wall leading by a hair the games missed category is also a pretty big one. Also an interesting stat line between these two Brandon Jennings has made it too the playoffs twice already in a 4 year career to John Walls 0 trips to the playoffs.

Advantage Brandon Jennings

Alonzo Gee(OKC) vs Aaron Afflalo(SAC)

Alonzo Gee last year for Cleveland averaged 10.3ppg, 3.9RPG,
and 1.6APG, with an Efficiency rating of +9.98. Last year was Gees first year as a starter with Cleveland and displayed a decent performance, Not the greatest but decent. Gee shot a 41% Field Goal Percentage from the field.

Aaron Afflalo is a really dangerous player if left alone, His best attribute is shooting the 3-Ball which Afflalo did not shoot all that well last year, Shooting a tiny 30% from 3. Despite his struggles from 3 point land Afflalo had 16.5ppg, 3.7rpg, and 3.2apg, with an efficiency rating of +13.67. Last season against OKC he went 13-30 with his shots making a little under half his attempts but no point he had was a three as he was 0-8 from the three against OKC.

Advantage Afflalo

Kevin Durant(OKC) vs Danny Granger(IND)

Kevin Durant is easily the 2nd best player in the NBA right now behind the King himself. Durant has certainly proven he is a force to be wreck en with as he has only been in the League for 4 seasons and has already won 3 scoring titles and made a trip to the NBA Finals but fell short to the Lebron and the Miami Heat. Kevin Durants Regular Season stats has averaged a whopping 28.1ppg, 7.9rpg, and 4.6apg and in the playoffs Durant was a monster averaging almost 31ppg and when his teammate Russell Westbrook went down with a knee injury in the playoffs last season Durant was forced to carry his team on his back and came up short in the 2nd Round of the playoffs to Memphis.

Danny Granger never played last season but he does some have a little playoff experience but he hasnt shown he can do it by himself, His In real life teammate Paul George has shown he can do it, this past season when he almost defeated Lebron James in the Eastern Conference Playoffs, Danny Granger is a really good player but compared to Durant he is nothing

HUGE ADVANTAGE KEVIN DURANT

Ryan Anderson(OKC) vs Lamarcus Aldridge(SAC)

Whenever Ryan Anderson went head to head with Aldridge, Anderson usually had more rebounds than Aldridge ever did, Aldrisge only beat Anderson twice out of eight head to head match ups. That is saying a lot when Anderson is a lot smaller than Aldridge is. Also in 8 match ups head to head the series is tied 4 a piece. Last Season Anderson averaged 16.8ppg with 6.4RPG. Last season was Anderson's best season all around. Anderson adds a bunch more offense to this already talented

Lamarcus Alrdridge is one of the more overrated power forwards in the NBA and last season in the NBA he averaged 21.1ppg with 9.1rpg. Its funny to see a more accomplished power forward and yet has only beaten Ryan Anderson twice in the Rebound category and last season Anderson never lost to Aldridge in points.

Advantage Ryan Anderson

Marcin Gortat(OKC) vs Nikola Vucevic(SAC)

Marcin Gortat has won 8 matchups against top 10 centers and the Suns have only lost once during those matchups (7-1), While Vucevic has only won 5 matchups against top 10 centers, and the Magic have a negative record of (2-3). Vucevic has beaten Gortat in the point and rebound category twice of the three times they faced each other.

Advantage Nikola Vucevic

One Major Side note I would like to add is the bench difference, Sacramento only has 1 bench player behind their starter besides at Center and point guard. Also on the Oklahoma City bench lies the College Basketball player of the year in Trey Burke, This man has high praise coming out of college and a lot of people believe that he will be the NBA rookie of the year this season.

When it comes down to crunch time late in games Oklahoma City has the Sheer fire power and Playoff experience to win games late with ease Sacramento is a really good and young team they just have nobody on their roster that has really been to the playoffs before besides Aldridge and Robinson who is on the bench, i think its clear that Oklahoma City is the better team.

Kings Write-up:

Congrats to the OKC GM KTS for getting the #4 seed! We are going to keep our write-up short and sweet and to the point....We think that we match-up well against the Thunder in every position besides SF, and that their team doesn't mesh very well. We are going to start by pointing out that Brandon Jennings is not even near the kind of PG that KD would need next to him, and we think that he does need a good PG next to him. Look at these past playoffs, once Westbrook was gone.... He fell off a good amount offensively. On this team, he would need to carry 90% of the offensive load and just wouldn't work.

Point Guard: John Wall vs Brandon Jennings
John Wall about over matches Jennings in every aspect besides 3-pt shooting. He is more athletic, better at passing, finishing etc. Also is a better rebounder/defender. John Wall would dominate Jennings in this match.
Advantage: Kings by a good margin

Shooting Guard: Arron Afflalo vs Alonzo Gee
Arron Afflalo is the perfect compliment next to John Wall. He is a 3 & D kind of guy, but can also play with the ball in his hand. While Gee may have a high advantage over him, that's about all he has. Afflalo is a better defender, shooter, ball handler etc. Having Gee at SG means that Jennings and KD are the only ones that can truly dribble the ball, making it much easier to defend
Advantage: Kings

Small Forward: Danny Granger vs Kevin Durant
Clear advantage here for the Thunder. Durant is arguably the best scorer in the game, but he saw a clear drop in production without his all-star companion next to him. Can Durant carry the work load here? We don't think so, but still a huge advantage here.
Advantage: Thunder by a large margin

Power Forward: LaMarcus Aldridge vs Ryan Anderson
Here is the match-up that we love. LMA is one of the best two-way big men in the league. Anderson simply wouldn't be able to handle him down low in the post, and would require help from Gortat. Which would leave either A.) Vucevic open for a shot or B.) Vucevic open for an offensive rebound, which he is one of the best in the league at getting. This facet of the game is a HUGE advantage for us.
Advantage: Kings by a large margin

Center: Nikola Vucevic vs Marcin Gortat
This is basically a wash in our book. Because of LMA's ability to shoot the mid-range jump shot, we are basicall asking Vucevic to stay in the low post to grab rebounds/put backs, and the occasional PnR, which he is pretty damn good at. Gortat is coming off a bad season, and I don't think he will be able to handle the length/athleticism of Vucevic. But Gortat holds name value so it's basically a wash.
Advantage: Wash

Bench: Nate Robinson/Kyle Korver/Andray Blatche vs Will Bynum/Nick Young/Byron Mullens/Dejaun Blair
We believe this is what sets us apart really from the Thunder. Our bench DOMINATES theirs. Since this is a playoffs we will run basically an 8-9 man rotation. With Nate being able to play both guard positions, Korver being able to play SG/SF, and Blatche being able to play PF/C. We believe that this is one of the best built benches in the whole league. We have explosiveness, elite 3-pt shooting and a dominate low-post player. They simply wouldn't be able to keep up.
Advantage: Kings by a LARGE amount

All in all, we don't believe Kevin Durant will be able to defeat us single handedly. We think we built a much better team. Thanks for your time.

Sadds The Gr8
08-22-2013, 04:05 AM
nobody can guard anybody in this series. absolutely no defense. SAC in 7

5ass
08-22-2013, 04:11 AM
Not one player on OKC that can play great defense. Easily the Kings here. They're such a well built team. Perimeter defense looks good. Rebounding and floor spacing is good as well.

5ass
08-22-2013, 04:12 AM
nobody can guard anybody in this series. absolutely no defense. SAC in 7

Wall, Afflalo and Granger are all above average defenders.

PatsSoxKnicks
08-22-2013, 04:41 AM
I'll wait a bit, maybe OKC can come up with some better arguments because to be blunt, their write-up made me want to vote for Sacramento lolz. Intriguing matchup though, disappointed with the write-ups though (then again, maybe my standards are too high)

Guppyfighter
08-22-2013, 04:52 AM
Yeah, I don't really care who would actually win. The changes the team made for the Thunder is good enough for me to say **** them and vote the Kings.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Bumppp moarrrr votes

Sadds The Gr8
08-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Wall, Afflalo and Granger are all above average defenders.

Afflalo hasn't been in a few years, and Granger may be above average, but he sure as hell isn't touching Durant in a series.

Sadds The Gr8
08-22-2013, 11:33 AM
I'll wait a bit, maybe OKC can come up with some better arguments because to be blunt, their write-up made me want to vote for Sacramento lolz. Intriguing matchup though, disappointed with the write-ups though (then again, maybe my standards are too high)

Just skimmed through and took in that he said Ryan Anderson > Aldridge looooooooooooool

Greet
08-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Yeah I don't get the Ryan Anderson > LMA part :confused:

KnicksorBust
08-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Poor Durant.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Good job Brewer n Greet, y'all really have been impressive this mock.

I Rock Shaqs
08-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Damn it took me awhile to vote and I went with Sacremento I thought it would be a lot closer, but the whole Brandon Jennings vs John Wall did it for me.

Greet
08-22-2013, 11:48 AM
And this all started with the Westbrook/Cousins swap :p

Ebbs
08-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Sac for sure.

But saying Jennings and KD couldn't play together is false.

xxplayerxx23
08-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Jennings is terrible, Gee is terrible and what really made my vote was seeing Anderson>LMA yeah right

Greet
08-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Sac for sure.

But saying Jennings and KD couldn't play together is false.

Well KD can probably play with any PG, but in no way would Jennings be the type of PG he would want to play with.... In my opinion

Eagles4Lyfe
08-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Well KD can probably play with any PG, but in no way would Jennings be the type of PG he would want to play with.... In my opinion

I would agree with Ebbs because he's played with Harden and Westbrook and they altered their games to be more efficient around him.
But last year with Ellis, Jennings was still inefficient and his TO numbers were worse than any other year in his career.
I just can't ever see Jennings working well with anyone, even if its LBJ.

KnicksorBust
08-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Jennings is a good ball handler, shooter, and pick and roll player. He's definitely got a workable skillset to thrive with Durant. He just needs someone to reign in his shot selection. A lot. I always thought he'd be good with the Lakers and Kobe.

Ebbs
08-22-2013, 12:20 PM
That OKC write up is an instant classic though

PatsSoxKnicks
08-22-2013, 02:27 PM
That OKC write up is an instant classic though

Yeah, it's like the Kings have 2 write-ups

killthesux
08-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Look at Andersons and Aldridge head to head games, Ryan Anderson beat Aldridge 6 out of 8 times in Rebounding

Bruno
08-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Okc. Durant is surrounded by good shooting and competent size. He's by far the most dominant player in the series. Although his team is not amazing, it has the floor spreading and rebounding and that should be enough against these kings (who are respectable in their own right, but in no way dominant enough to take down a team catered to Durants strengths).

Especially with OKC HCA.

Bruno
08-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Look at Andersons and Aldridge head to head games, Ryan Anderson beat Aldridge 6 out of 8 times in Rebounding

Anderson is slightly underrated and a great compliment alongside any dominant force due to his rebounding and floor spreading abilities. LMA is the better player but not by an extreme enough margin to tip the scales, imo.

xxplayerxx23
08-22-2013, 05:01 PM

:laugh: Anderson isn't in the same league as LMA

Giannis94
08-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Let me say this:
While I don't like ripping GM's I need to ask you one question: Why the hell did you trade all the defense you had away with in the first 3 days (well Ibaka trade technically took a little longer): Trade Thabo, Westy, Ibaka and amnesty Perk.

I also want to know why so many people had the Thunder at the 4 seed. I had them at my 6. The team has no defense, no chemistry and essentially is playing horse with the ringleader being Durant.

With that being said, Congrats to the Thunder on making the playoffs.

Giannis94
08-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Jennings is terrible, Gee is terrible and what really made my vote was seeing Anderson>LMA yeah right

Amen. Getting Chuckbrother for the Max was a terrible move. Should have gone after Al Jeff or Wade, as they signed late. At the time a core of Klay, Cousins and Durant would have to be tempting for either.

Ebbs
08-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Well maxing Jennings was stupid but lets not act like he'd completely derail the team. Westbrook takes a lot of shots too. Gee isn't good but he doesn't require touches and he does play D. Gortat Ryno front court is above average. This is a 6-7 game series.

Giannis94
08-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Well maxing Jennings was stupid but lets not act like he'd completely derail the team. Westbrook takes a lot of shots too. Gee isn't good but he doesn't require touches and he does play D. Gortat Ryno front court is above average. This is a 6-7 game series.

The team is a bunch of *******. Most teams would have their way on the boards with the Thunder.

Ebbs
08-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Ryan Anderson gets more boards than Aldridge in head to head matchups!!!

Giannis94
08-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Ryan Anderson gets more boards than Aldridge in head to head matchups!!!

Mind=blown as to why Wall got $80 mill over 5 years and Jennings 24 over 3 when Jennings shot 37.5% from 3 and Wall shot 26.7%. Those contracts should definitely be reversed.

Ebbs
08-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Jennings scored 50 points as a rookie. . . Wall shoots bad percentages from deep!

Giannis94
08-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Jennings scored 50 points as a rookie. . . Wall shoots bad percentages from deep!
Its the Illuminati in full effect!

mightybosstone
08-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Did anyone else notice the irony in Sacramento facing OKC in the first round of the playoffs and being the team to knock them out of the playoffs? Essentially, the Kings knocked OKC out of contention with the Westbrook trade and then knocked them out of the playoffs in the first round. That's rough...

But in the Thunder's defense, I think they actually did an okay job coming back from that trade. I actually quite like their frontcourt. It's not the best on the glass, but Gortat is underrated as a defender and offensively that 3-5 isn't given nearly enough credit from the posts I'm seeing. It's the backcourt that kills it for me. Maxing out Jennings was a bad idea. They should have made an offer to Calderon or Jack instead, IMO, and then used the savings to go after Mayo, Martin or Allen. Jennings is a nice pure scorer, but I wouldn't want him running my offense on a playoff team, and I'd like him a lot more as a sixth man.

I do think that frontcourt and Durant's sheer will to win would push this series to six or seven games, but look what happened when the Thunder faced the Grizzlies without Westbrook in the playoffs. Against a more complete team, they got crushed, and that was a Thunder team with an absolutely superior defense. I think LMA would be too much for Ryno over a seven-game series and Wall would abuse Jennings. The Kings have their fair share of problems, but they're just a more complete basketball team all around.

Chronz
08-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Job well done Greets

roshan3ai
08-24-2013, 10:37 AM
KTS why give vucevic an advantage when even the Kings don't think he is better?

greg_ory_2005
08-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Wow okc is terrible :puke:

Kings!

stjdukfjian
08-25-2013, 04:40 AM
Every summer, PSD holds a game which mocks that year's NBA offseason. http://healthllife.com/images/images/18.gif