PDA

View Full Version : Top 5: Guards In The Post

DreamShaker
08-21-2013, 11:59 PM
I just thought of this. Who are your top 5 guards of all-time as far as play in the post go? I can think of two obvious guys (Kobe and MJ) and well as an old school guy (Big O), but who do you got? You can also name some current guards (besides Kobe) who can do damage in the post.

Bostonjorge
08-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Kobe and MJ best foot work ever.

Kobe
Jordan
Magic
Mark Jackson
Steve Smith

Clippersfan86
08-22-2013, 12:20 AM
1. MJ
2. Kobe
3. Magic
4. Andre Miller
5. Sam Cassell/Gary Payton

These players all primarily operated out of the mid-high post, besides Kobe who sometimes goes into 3 pointer/ long range chuck mode. When Kobe DOES post up though which is often he's unstoppable. Gary Payton was a beast guard in the post who regularly manhandled guards on the block.

tredigs
08-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Underrated award here goes to: Andre Miller.

Clippersfan86
08-22-2013, 12:26 AM

Wonderful selection. He definitely might replace Big O for me on list. I hate him on a personal level but his post game was his bread and butter his entire career pretty much. He's basically a PF in a PG's body with the way he plays offensively.

Hellcrooner
08-22-2013, 12:26 AM
Mugsy bogues

HA HAHA AH AHA HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAH

Now seriously, Magic is the best ever at it.
Do we consider Dudes like Drexler, Gervin and Dr J as Guards or as SF? they played both positions.

Chronz
08-22-2013, 12:28 AM

Hello der (http://exnba.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/sam-cassell.jpg)

Clippersfan86
08-22-2013, 12:32 AM
Ah mother fu**. How did I forget my favorite Clipper ever Sam Cassell. Billups was also pretty good there but not Cassell/Miller level. I'm updating my list.

Chronz
08-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Kobe and MJ best foot work ever.

Kobe
Jordan
Magic
Mark Jackson
Steve Smith

I almost forgot Smithy was more than just a shooter. Those Blazers were fun to watch just because they had one of those teams where just about everyone could post up and pass or stretch you out. Pippen, Bonzi, Smith, Sheed and the immortal Sabonis.

Bostonjorge
08-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Jordan was great baseline to free throw line with little jumpers and attacking the rim. Kobe in the post with his back to the basket is better then Jordan.

tredigs
08-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Wonderful selection. He definitely might replace Big O for me on list. I hate him on a personal level but his post game was his bread and butter his entire career pretty much. He's basically a PF in a PG's body with the way he plays offensively.

Agreed, but a tough player not to respect. His bbiq is top notch and he's literally missed like 4 games in a 15+ year career. But yeah, his post moves are literally on Duncan's level, just 7 inches shorter.

Hello der (http://exnba.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/sam-cassell.jpg)

Chronz, have we not had a NSFW talk??

Clippersfan86
08-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Agreed, but a tough player not to respect. His bbiq is top notch and he's literally missed like 4 games in a 15+ year career. But yeah, his post moves are literally on Duncan's level, just 7 inches shorter.

Chronz, have we not had a NSFW talk??

Yup. This topic is a great topic BTW OP. It's almost depressing to think that the post game is almost dead. Guards from the 80's and 90's were better post up players than Centers and Power Forwards in this current game. The post game was where you started your offense even as a guard (assuming you were a big guard like the guys we are listing). Kobe works from the outside in usually for example.. where as Jordan dominated from the post and THEN worked his way outside.

Watching guys like Miller, Cassell, Payton, Magic, Jordan post up was something beautiful.

I truly wanted to love Andre Miller. When we traded Darius Miles for him in 01 or 02 I was so freaking pumped! He was in his early 20's and I loved watching him work in the post with that old many YMCA game with the 5 inch vertical. He would start on the mid post and either hit the 15 footer or drop moves on cats. I just hate how much of a bitter prick he showed himself to be.

JEDean89
08-22-2013, 01:14 AM
Kobe
Billups
Miller

are the 3 guys that do it in the nba right now. I wish Westbrook, Wall, Rose, etc... all the big guards would do it but they just don't seem interested. Andre Miller's postup game in Derrick Rose's body is a scary thought.

cahawk
08-22-2013, 01:57 AM
MJ
Big 0
Magic
Payton
Walt Frazier

WadeKobe
08-22-2013, 02:58 AM
Jason Kidd gets no love on PSD. :-(

jerellh528
08-22-2013, 03:00 AM
1.Kobe
2.Jordan
then you got guys like magic, miller, davis, billups, wade, cassell, williams, payton. I wanna also say big o but i've never had the privilege to watch him play besides clips.

arlubas
08-22-2013, 03:22 AM
I'm glad to see Andre Miller getting his dues in this thread cause his post up game is seriously something that a lot of guards should study imo, if they want to expand their game to the low post area. He of course also has the body to work down there but he also wants to and puts in the effort.

Wade should also get a mention. He used to be a force down there when he was healthy.

OceanSpray
08-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Wade should get a mention. He's an amazing post player. I definitely think it's Kobe though.

hidalgo
08-22-2013, 07:06 AM
1. His Airness
2. Magic

anyone else is debatable

archdevil84
08-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Wade is a good post player. except when he does fadeaway jumpers

asandhu23
08-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Baron Davis in his prime.

Chronz
08-22-2013, 10:29 AM

Thats cuz he sucked offensively.

WadeKobe
08-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Thats cuz he sucked offensively.

No, he was a poor shooter for most of his career who didn't score a lot. That is very different than sucking offensively.

Likewise, the same goes for Kidd's post play. Kidd was very good at postin up opposing PGs and running sets out of high and low post positions. Not only that, but he was phenomenal defensively in the post for a PG. He played some of the best post defense against prime Kobe that I have seen, and was still doing a phenomenal job on Kobe as an old man in 2011.

If we are talking all around playin in he post, offense and defense, I think Kidd is up there.

But, he didn't score much. So, in the NBA, and on PSD, that means you get no love.

beasted86
08-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Payton, Kidd, Mark Jackson, Dumars, Wade, Cassell, Andre Miller, all come to mind.

beasted86
08-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Also Billups at one time was very good in the post, but went away from that as his career has gone on.

Hawkeye15
08-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Cassell and Payton were the masters.

Andre Miller, Andrew Toney, and Magic are a few others that come to mind.

Hawkeye15
08-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Baron Davis in his prime.

you mean when he cared...

Interesting player. When on a good team, it motivated him, and he wrecked shop. When on a bad team, the only thing he wrecked was the local buffets.

tev_dodd
08-22-2013, 12:48 PM
When I saw the thread title, Jason Kidd came to mind immediately.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-22-2013, 01:05 PM
How do you mention Kobe and MJ but forget Magic. Dudes team won a title with him basically playing Center

Spanklin
08-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Deron Williams is a post assassin.

beasted86
08-22-2013, 01:24 PM
How do you mention Kobe and MJ but forget Magic. Dudes team won a title with him basically playing Center

I'm not the OP, but I left him out as well on purpose. The fact that he played Center for a game (and all other positions) almost excludes him from this discussion of guards in the post.

DreamShaker
08-22-2013, 02:43 PM

I was just putting a few guys, didn't make a list. But Magic is on there for me.

DreamShaker
08-22-2013, 02:48 PM

I'm not the OP, but I left him out as well on purpose. The fact that he played Center for a game (and all other positions) almost excludes him from this discussion of guards in the post.

Didn't he play small forward in his comeback in the mid 90's? I remember he was pretty chunky at that time.

Does anybody remember Penny Hardaway's post game much? I remember he did it some, but my mind is drawing a blank to how good it was. Being a 6'7 point guard in his Magic days, with his skill, he should have been a killer.

All-In
08-22-2013, 04:50 PM
No, he was a poor shooter for most of his career who didn't score a lot. That is very different than sucking offensively.

Likewise, the same goes for Kidd's post play. Kidd was very good at postin up opposing PGs and running sets out of high and low post positions. Not only that, but he was phenomenal defensively in the post for a PG. He played some of the best post defense against prime Kobe that I have seen, and was still doing a phenomenal job on Kobe as an old man in 2011.

If we are talking all around playin in he post, offense and defense, I think Kidd is up there.

But, he didn't score much. So, in the NBA, and on PSD, that means you get no love.

There were two names that popped into my mind as soon as I read the question….Magic and Kidd…I agree….Kidd’s post game was underrated

Tony_Starks
08-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Kobe
Magic
MJ
Rod Strickland
Allan Houston

Hawkeye15
08-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Kobe
Magic
MJ
Rod Strickland
Allan Houston

he was good

D-Leethal
08-22-2013, 06:32 PM

Came in just to post this. No love for JKidd? You can do more than just score from the post.

Love the Sam Cassell mention.

MTar786
08-23-2013, 05:45 AM
1.kobe
2.jordan
3.magic

i think everyone can agree on the first 3

how about a top 5 all time at the turnaround fadeaway

1.kobe
2.jordan
3.dirk (i would put him at number one.. but he doesn't find a way to execute it often for some reason)
4.kg
5.dream

Clippersfan86
08-23-2013, 11:12 AM
I was going to bring up Kidd but he's just not quite to the level of guys like Cassell and Miller who rounded out my list (post game wise of course).