PDA

View Full Version : Chris Paul Named President Of NBA Players Association

Clippersfan86
08-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Chris Paul has accepted the job to be the face of the players union.. Great, knowledgeable guy who has hundreds of friends around the league should do well representing. As a Clippers fan this is so cool seeing one of our players do something historically big like this in the league.

bholly
08-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Not sure where 'historically big' comes from - sure there's a big impact on CBA negotiations, but it's not something that's really ever remembered - I doubt even 10% of PSD could name either of the last two guys before Fisher, and I doubt many more than that could even name one anytime before Fisher.

But I agree it seems like a good choice. Strikes me as a smart and pretty reasonable dude, and def has respect around the league. I'm guessing we'll hear that his candidacy is part of why LBJ dropped out? LBJ's comments seemed to suggest he thought they needed a big name at the helm, so that makes more sense than him dropping out to support James Jones.

Swarley91
08-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Thank god it's going to be Paul rather than Lebron. Just like in the real world, you should have smart, college educated people in these type of positions. Good to hear.

dnl123
08-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Thank god it's going to be Paul rather than Lebron. Just like in the real world, you should have smart, college educated people in these type of positions. Good to hear.

haha I get what you're saying but the position doesn't hold enough weight to where it really makes a huge difference who it is.

D-Leethal
08-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Paul seems like a great choice to me. I think its right to have a star take the reigns as Prez, and I can't think of a better star candidate than Paul. I would have been all for LeBron too.

smith&wesson
08-21-2013, 08:57 PM
haha I get what you're saying but the position doesn't hold enough weight to where it really makes a huge difference who it is.

Someone as uneducated as Lebron James would look like a fool trying to negotiate with Adam Silver.

TheNumber37
08-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Someone as uneducated as Lebron James would look like a fool trying to negotiate with Adam Silver.

Chewing on his fingernails and ish...

D-Leethal
08-21-2013, 09:02 PM
LeBron is a very bright dude. This is coming from a huge LeBron critic. He would have been just fine. And just like the President of our country or of any corporation, your only as good as the guys you have around you, CP (or if it was LeBron) will have people pretty much laying out the plans on the table for him, its not gonna be that hard for him to make the right decision with all the input he's gonna get from directors and player reps alike.

D-Leethal
08-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Is getting thru your Sophomore year of college really considered "educated" nowadays? None of these guys are freakin' educated. You learn more being an adult in the real world than you do sitting in college stoned and hungover anyway.

TheNumber37
08-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Is getting thru your Sophomore year of college really considered "educated" nowadays? None of these guys are freakin' educated. You learn more being an adult in the real world than you do sitting in college stoned and hungover anyway.

True, if you live long enough. But does Lebron really live in the "real" world?

Chris Paul kind of surprised me. I think it was the State farm ads that put him over the top.

SportsFanatic10
08-21-2013, 09:09 PM
i think it's pretty cool for a big name player such as him to be in that spot and that he'll do well with it.

Clippersfan86
08-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Not sure where 'historically big' comes from - sure there's a big impact on CBA negotiations, but it's not something that's really ever remembered - I doubt even 10% of PSD could name either of the last two guys before Fisher, and I doubt many more than that could even name one anytime before Fisher.

But I agree it seems like a good choice. Strikes me as a smart and pretty reasonable dude, and def has respect around the league. I'm guessing we'll hear that his candidacy is part of why LBJ dropped out? LBJ's comments seemed to suggest he thought they needed a big name at the helm, so that makes more sense than him dropping out to support James Jones.

Historical because the last star to do this was Ewing about 13 years ago or more. Lately it's washed up role players, so it should be something to have a superstar, top 3 player do it.

D-Leethal
08-21-2013, 09:12 PM

Chris Paul kind of surprised me. I think it was the State farm ads that put him over the top.

By real world I mean having kids, raising a family, building a legacy, supporting and employing countless people, being a leader etc...

He doesn't live in my real world, but he lives in the same real world all these pampered millionaire NBA players live in.

Clippersfan86
08-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Do you guys think taking on a responsibility this big will affect a player's game at all? I'm thinking maybe not with CP3 since he's pretty much already as good as he's going to get anyways.

Ebbs
08-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Not a bad choice but I think there should be some specifics when NBA players are selected as president.

KnickaBocka.44
08-21-2013, 09:33 PM

Come on. He only stayed long enough to get his pre-requisites out of the way.

Lakers + Giants
08-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Not gonna lie, i've only heard of fisher holding the position. Nobody else.

KnickNyKnick
08-21-2013, 09:47 PM
they meant Cliff Paul

ManRam
08-21-2013, 10:11 PM

Not sure why I respond to you, ever, but whatever.

Paul went to school for 2 years, and odds are he didn't get much out of his education considering how sure thing of an NBA prospect he was. We know big time student athletes are athletes before students. He probably took nothing but basic prereqs that won't prepare him for this specific duty at all. I don't think any of us can sit here and say who is "smarter" between the two. By all accounts LeBron is very bright and savvy.

LeBron would have been a better choice for the players because as big of a presence as Paul has, LeBron's is bigger. Put him in any negotiating room and his presence is going to have an impact.

And let's not act like the lawyers for the Players Union aren't making all the important calls. The players are essentially figure heads, and there's no bigger figure head than LeBron.

But Paul is a great consolation.

goingfor28
08-21-2013, 10:36 PM

^those ads were Cliff, not Chris

5ass
08-21-2013, 10:40 PM
Not sure why I respond to you, ever, but whatever.

Paul went to school for 2 years, and odds are he didn't get much out of his education considering how sure thing of an NBA prospect he was. We know big time student athletes are athletes before students. He probably took nothing but basic prereqs that won't prepare him for this specific duty at all. I don't think any of us can sit here and say who is "smarter" between the two. By all accounts LeBron is very bright and savvy.

LeBron would have been a better choice for the players because as big of a presence as Paul has, LeBron's is bigger. Put him in any negotiating room and his presence is going to have an impact.

And let's not act like the lawyers for the Players Union aren't making all the important calls. The players are essentially figure heads, and there's no bigger figure head than LeBron.

But Paul is a great consolation.

I agree for the most part, but Paul had like a 3.3 GPA in his 2 years I think. So its not like he was ignoring his academics. He was majoring in communications, and for sure took public speaking classes.
He's also one of the smartest player in the league. He's a better option than Lebron IMO.

IndyRealist
08-21-2013, 11:04 PM

Any chance they could get Cliff to do it, instead? He's got glasses, makes all the difference in the world.

IndyRealist
08-21-2013, 11:11 PM
I agree for the most part, but Paul had like a 3.3 GPA in his 2 years I think. So its not like he was ignoring his academics. He was majoring in communications, and for sure took public speaking classes.
He's also one of the smartest player in the league. He's a better option than Lebron IMO.

There's only two types of people that major in communications: would-be TV personalities that can't manage a journalism degree, and athletes.

If we're talking degrees, Roy Hibbert has a bachelors in Government from Georgetown, and Danny Granger has a bachelors in Civil Engineering.

5ass
08-21-2013, 11:18 PM
There's only two types of people that major in communications: would-be TV personalities that can't manage a journalism degree, and athletes.

If we're talking degrees, Roy Hibbert has a bachelors in Government from Georgetown, and Danny Granger has a bachelors in Civil Engineering.

How is civil engineering going to help him being the president of the NBPA?

MrfadeawayJB
08-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Would have liked battier, he seems pretty smart

Clippersfan86
08-22-2013, 12:19 AM
Why are we arguing Lebron vs CP3 in terms of education? Bottom line is Chris Paul is the most basketball savvy, mastermind in the game. He's the only player who's always a step ahead of even the refs in terms of the rules etc. Lebron is very intelligent but when it comes to the game of basketball (which this represents) CP3 is a no brainer, frontrunner and superior. I'd rather have CP3 who knows the rule book like the back of his hand and a gazillion friends around the league representing it. He's also a hell of a lot more fiery than Lebron which will bode well come negotiation time.

kblo247
08-22-2013, 12:27 AM
What happens if the pa ever needs negotiations to go past two rounds now?

KnicksorBust
08-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Not surprised. He's one of the 3 best players of the league and highly intelligent on and off the court.

IndyRealist
08-22-2013, 12:42 AM
How is civil engineering going to help him being the president of the NBPA?

1. It's an actual degree, not a couple of years of pre-reqs.
2. People are talking about education as a measure of intelligence.
2a. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get an engineering degree? That is a MINIMUM of advanced physics, chemistry and calculus. The requirements for a communcations degree would be basic algebra and intro to science for non-majors. Not all degrees are created equal.

tredigs
08-22-2013, 12:58 AM
I hope he still doesn't use, "you was" instead of "you were" as NBA PAP; Lebron does it too. If there's one minor thing these guys should do in an effort to be a role model for the younger generation, it should be to learn how to speak English decently when in a formal setting (like at a job or in an interview for one). I see them talk like this in formal interviews and speaking engagements, and it's just kind of depressing that they never learned better. It doesn't help the kids that look up to them and don't have their talent, that's for sure. But that's just a personal pet peeve of mine. I feel like grandpa digs right now, but both of these guys are my age or older. So whatever.

mjt20mik
08-22-2013, 01:57 AM
I do think Paul was a good selection. He is a very poised and smart man. However, I don't think Lebron would have been too bad. I know he doesn't have the same poise as Chris, but he is a very hardworking kid.

Just to dabble a little more about their intelligence, Chris had a 3.6 out of HS and Lebron had a 3.3. SAT wise CP3 scored a 990/1600 and Lebron scored a 830/1600. I was actually surprised to see Kobe score a 1080/1600 coming out of HS.

OceanSpray
08-22-2013, 02:01 AM

Are you being serious? LeBron was actually really smart. Warren Buffet complimented James on his exceptional analytical skills in terms of business. This is exactly what the player union is about. Just because you go to college, doesn't mean you're smart. And to be fair, Chris Paul was playing basketball, not trying to graduate.

D1JM
08-22-2013, 02:13 AM
Are you being serious? LeBron was actually really smart. Warren Buffet complimented James on his exceptional analytical skills in terms of business. This is exactly what the player union is about. Just because you go to college, doesn't mean you're smart. And to be fair, Chris Paul was playing basketball, not trying to graduate.

exceptional anaytical skills in termsof business? he invested in a soccer team that keeps losing revenue by the year.

OceanSpray
08-22-2013, 02:34 AM
exceptional anaytical skills in termsof business? he invested in a soccer team that keeps losing revenue by the year.

A great investor loses as well.

Drummond#1
08-22-2013, 02:39 AM
CP3 is a good choice... Much better than LeBald.