PDA

View Full Version : Cavs' frontcourt

the avenger
08-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Just had a quick look at the Cavsr roster. Man, their frontcourt is SICK!! When healthy, easily one of the best frontcourts in the league.

At least four players are going to get frustrated coming off the bench.

SF/PF Bennett - Thompson - Gee - Clark
C Bynum - Varejao - Zeller

Add Irving and Waters in the mix and Jack and Miles riding the bench, you've got yourself a dangerous outsider (certainly for the coming years) if you ask me.

MonroeFAN
08-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Out of those players mentioned, one is practically playing for his career, the other suffered a bad injury last season. Remove them from the equation and it doesn't look too sweet.

the avenger
08-20-2013, 05:48 PM
But the one playing for his career could very well be the best center in the league next season

MonroeFAN
08-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Well that's a nice story

the avenger
08-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Let's not forget about Thompson either, one of the most promising PF in the league

Bostonjorge
08-20-2013, 05:58 PM
I got Cleveland 6th seed beating the bulls in the first round.

the avenger
08-20-2013, 06:00 PM
A lot of the top teams in the east are loaded with big men, while Miami keeps on playing small ball

MonroeFAN
08-20-2013, 06:00 PM
I think you guys are being way to hard on the cavs.

the avenger
08-20-2013, 06:01 PM
I think you guys are being way to hard on the cavs. Well, this is coming from a Suns fan

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-20-2013, 06:02 PM
CJ Miles is still in the league?

the avenger
08-20-2013, 06:03 PM
CJ Miles is still in the league? Lol, CJ Miles is not that bad a player

MonroeFAN
08-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Who's opinion I respect but I have to disagree. This cavs team will be lucky to play 20 games together next year. I simply don't understand, they surrounded an often injured center piece with often injured supporting pieces. Jack was a good pick up, I expect him to quickly become a malcontent when he realizes that the team has no health insurance.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2013, 06:06 PM
AV and Bynum have been hurt so much the last 2-3 years, I can't buy them staying healthy. Let Zeller and Bennett prove themselves first before we act like they are the answer at 4.

the avenger
08-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Well I did mention in the first post 'if healthy...' But I hope this will be the case. The Cavs have had enough bad luck

the avenger
08-20-2013, 06:10 PM
AV and Bynum have been hurt so much the last 2-3 years, I can't buy them staying healthy. Let Zeller and Bennett prove themselves first before we act like they are the answer at 4.
What about Thompson? Beast at off reb!

DreamShaker
08-20-2013, 06:13 PM
They probably need all those guys with the health issues of Bynum and Andy. I would say they might try to trade Varejao, but they won't take any contracts back and they actually want to win this year. I really think this is the most unpredictable team in basketball this year. So many pieces to fit together and so many question marks.. Good amount of upside, though.

the avenger
08-20-2013, 06:26 PM
I sure wouldn't trade Varejao, don't write him off just yet. I think he's a fighter.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2013, 07:46 PM
What about Thompson? Beast at off reb!

not even the best on his own team, I just worry about him guarding anyone or being able to draw fouls. Look, the frontline is either unproven, or proven injury concerns. On paper, they look good. But games are played for a reason, otherwise we should just give the Nets the 2014 championship.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2013, 07:47 PM
I sure wouldn't trade Varejao, don't write him off just yet. I think he's a fighter.

I would guess he is gone. Only this season is guaranteed, and he does hold a ton of value if he stays upright.

king4day
08-20-2013, 08:47 PM
At the moment, nothing that special. Bynum has to prove he can be healthy while Thompson is still trying to make a name for himself. Bennett hasn't played a game yet. Potential for greatness is certainly there but we're not talking Gasol/Bynum from a few years ago here.

Bruins2012
08-20-2013, 08:59 PM
It looks good with Zeller, Thompson, and Bennett. Lets be perfectly realistic about Bynum here; There is a reason why he hasn't played in over a year, and its the same reason why he refused to work out for teams this year, and its the same reason why "maybe the best center in the league" had only a handful of teams looking to sign him this offseason....his knees are damaged goods and he's never ever going to play more than even half the games in a single year ever again in his career. Although he isn't as fragile as Oden, he's just as much of a risk and has about a 90% chance of failure.

bigsams50
08-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Zeller is solid, Thompson has potential, should show some improvement this year. Bennett I personally dont see him being able to play the 3. Bynum is the key though. If healthy, Cavs could surprise alot of people

KingstonHawke
08-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Wait, is this guy being serious? Verajao is good but he's not a threat to be the best center in the league. I'd actually be pleasantly surprised if he simply stayed relatively healthy. Zeller is a solid back up though.

Thompson is a solid role player, but he's never going to be dominant. Bennett was a horrible pick. They seem to think he's a SF, he's not. They will find that out and he'll get buried on the bench. The should've drafted BMac.

And at the SF. Miles and Gee? No... just, no.

The Cavs GM may be the worse in the league no joke. The only pick I've liked in like 5 years was Irving, but that was as easy as picking Lebron almost a decade before. I thought they should've taken Jonas over Thompson. That way they also would've had a stronger pick the next year (he stayed over seas). And how do you take Waiters over Barnes? Did people forget just one year before Barnes was being talked about like he was going to be a guaranteed all star. Bennett over BMac was dumb. Could've had Irving and BMac with Waiters as the 6th man. And the dumbest of all moves was them not doing more to get Love. I'd of traded Thompson, Waiters, Vera, and next years 1st round pick. Then you'd have Irving, BMac, Love, and Bynum to build around. Might even get Lebron to come back. They'd have the room.

RipCity32
08-20-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm not impressed at all with that frontcourt. If most GMs thought Bynum had anything left then he damn sure wouldn't be playing in Cleveland next season. Even Varejao when healthy can fill a stat sheet but is not really a impact type of player.

All-In
08-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Almost every other team in Cleveland’s division has a better frontcourt then they do….CHI, INDY, DET and even the Bucks with Sanders, Henson and Ilyasova…so if I were a Cleveland fan I would be more excited about the fact that Kyrie out played everyone at the USA white v blue game.

WITZ
08-20-2013, 11:58 PM
I'm not impressed at all with that frontcourt. If most GMs thought Bynum had anything left then he damn sure wouldn't be playing in Cleveland next season. Even Varejao when healthy can fill a stat sheet but is not really a impact type of player.

Andy accounts for so many 2nd chance points on hustle alone I would consider that making an impact. His last healthy season he finished 2nd team all defense so obviously he was making an impact on that end. But i wouldn't expect a pistons fan to see this since they aren't the ones watching cavs games. Andy definitely impacts the game just not in a way visible in the box score.

MTar786
08-21-2013, 12:47 AM
i bet the cavs make the playoffs. if bynum works out then i may even give them the 6th seed. also if bynum does work out they should package varajeo and another up and coming player like maybe thompson for someone really good like luol deng. and fillers (bulls need to trade him soon). maybe even granger if they can get him

add earl clark and jack off the bench and you got a great team in the making

Oefarmy2005
08-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Rotation is good, but the starters are "blah."

the avenger
08-22-2013, 03:47 PM
not even the best on his own team Thompson is definitely league TOP 10 when it comes to off rebounding. The fact that Varejao might be better is a pretty weak argument.

the avenger
08-22-2013, 03:49 PM
At the moment, nothing that special. Bynum has to prove he can be healthy while Thompson is still trying to make a name for himself. Bennett hasn't played a game yet. Potential for greatness is certainly there but we're not talking Gasol/Bynum from a few years ago here. From one Suns fan to another: I'd trade any Sun (except Bledsoe) for Thompson, Varejao, Bennett or Bynum.

the avenger
08-22-2013, 03:50 PM
It looks good with Zeller, Thompson, and Bennett. Lets be perfectly realistic about Bynum here; There is a reason why he hasn't played in over a year, and its the same reason why he refused to work out for teams this year, and its the same reason why "maybe the best center in the league" had only a handful of teams looking to sign him this offseason....his knees are damaged goods and he's never ever going to play more than even half the games in a single year ever again in his career. Although he isn't as fragile as Oden, he's just as much of a risk and has about a 90% chance of failure. The perfect fit for the Suns you mean????

the avenger
08-22-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm not impressed at all with that frontcourt. If most GMs thought Bynum had anything left then he damn sure wouldn't be playing in Cleveland next season. Even Varejao when healthy can fill a stat sheet but is not really a impact type of player. Well, I agree almost the top 8 teams (except Miami) in the east are stacked when it comes to the frontcourt. Cleveland leaves a big question mark, but....
when healthy.... We'll see...

the avenger
08-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Almost every other team in Cleveland’s division has a better frontcourt then they do….CHI, INDY, DET and even the Bucks with Sanders, Henson and Ilyasova…so if I were a Cleveland fan I would be more excited about the fact that Kyrie out played everyone at the USA white v blue game.

This coming from a Heat fan! Figures! Heat should try to trade for Gortat, Bosh and Oden alone won't do the job anymore

the avenger
08-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Wait, is this guy being serious? Verajao is good but he's not a threat to be the best center in the league. I'd actually be pleasantly surprised if he simply stayed relatively healthy. Zeller is a solid back up though.

Thompson is a solid role player, but he's never going to be dominant. Bennett was a horrible pick. They seem to think he's a SF, he's not. They will find that out and he'll get buried on the bench. The should've drafted BMac.

And at the SF. Miles and Gee? No... just, no.

The Cavs GM may be the worse in the league no joke. The only pick I've liked in like 5 years was Irving, but that was as easy as picking Lebron almost a decade before. I thought they should've taken Jonas over Thompson. That way they also would've had a stronger pick the next year (he stayed over seas). And how do you take Waiters over Barnes? Did people forget just one year before Barnes was being talked about like he was going to be a guaranteed all star. Bennett over BMac was dumb. Could've had Irving and BMac with Waiters as the 6th man. And the dumbest of all moves was them not doing more to get Love. I'd of traded Thompson, Waiters, Vera, and next years 1st round pick. Then you'd have Irving, BMac, Love, and Bynum to build around. Might even get Lebron to come back. They'd have the room. I guess you never watched Thompson playing. You are also writing off Bennett before he has even played 1 game.

the avenger
08-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Zeller is solid, Thompson has potential, should show some improvement this year. Bennett I personally dont see him being able to play the 3. Bynum is the key though. If healthy, Cavs could surprise alot of peopleThis!

king4day
08-22-2013, 03:59 PM
From one Suns fan to another: I'd trade any Sun (except Bledsoe) for Thompson, Varejao, Bennett or Bynum.

Seriously? I need to watch him more then.

All-In
08-22-2013, 04:26 PM
This coming from a Heat fan! Figures! Heat should try to trade for Gortat, Bosh and Oden alone won't do the job anymore

This makes no sense

the avenger
08-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Think again. Heat have the weakest PF/C combo in the east (top 8 teams).

alexander_37
08-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Bynum is going to play like 10 games maybe 20. So... not so sick.

mdm692
08-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Well that's a nice story
Your user name says it all lol. Healthy Cavs >>>Healthy Pistons.

mdm692
08-22-2013, 05:11 PM
From one Suns fan to another: I'd trade any Sun (except Bledsoe) for Thompson, Varejao, Bennett or Bynum.

Aside from Bennett no to the rest.

Ebbs
08-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Bynum - TT - Bennett

mdm692
08-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Seriously? I need to watch him more then.
No you don't. I like their team as a whole and how it fits around Kyrie and Bynum but he's overrating AV and Thompson.

bearadonisdna
08-23-2013, 07:47 PM
I got Cleveland 6th seed beating the bulls in the first round.

lol:rolleyes::laugh:

Bruins2012
08-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Thompson is changing from a left-handed shot next year to using his right-hand. It was in Sports Illustrated...don't know if that's gonna help his offensive game but we'll see.

cghcgjxjian
08-24-2013, 01:32 AM
At least four players are going to get frustrated coming off the bench.http://healthllife.com/images/images/18.gif