PDA

View Full Version : Rockets add Ronnie Brewer

mrblisterdundee
08-20-2013, 03:03 PM
The Rockets added Ronnie Brewer, 28, as a back-up in the back court (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9583038/sources-ronnie-brewer-houston-rockets-agree-terms).
It's not a huge signing, but I think this is a really good pick-up for the Rockets' defense. Brewer's one of the better one-on-one defenders in the league and garnered mention in 2011 as a candidate for Defensive Player of the Year with the Bulls.
I think when it comes to defense as a focus, the Rockets can now put James Harden on point guards and Brewer against shooting guards.

Captain Moroni
08-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Nic piece to a team expecting big things

rockets-fan
08-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Nice little pickup, wish we would make a move for a PF that can spread the floor though

king4day
08-20-2013, 03:16 PM
I really like this move. Excellent signing.

Goose17
08-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Nice pickup. Smart move.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Jesus how many players are the Rockets committing to?

tredigs
08-20-2013, 04:07 PM
This guy is becoming a hell of a journeyman in his young career. 6, 7 teams now? They couldn't find him anything but spot minutes in NYC/OKC, and nothing in the playoffs even with Westbrook down, but he's a tough defender and they could use that on their wings right now. His offense though, wow is it bad.

Kashmir13579
08-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Solid pick-up. This guy can't shoot worth crap but i wish the Knicks hung on to him. He's a decent wing defender and a big body to throw on superstars. Plus, he comes cheap.

Chronz
08-20-2013, 05:31 PM
I think every team that signs him is genius, only to berate those same teams when they let him go. Quality Journeymen are true enigmas. Matt Barnes finally found a home. Sucks about his defect/arm mechanics tho, would be great if he could shoot.

DreamShaker
08-20-2013, 05:59 PM
I think every team that signs him is genius, only to berate those same teams when they let him go. Quality Journeymen are true enigmas. Matt Barnes finally found a home. Sucks about his defect/arm mechanics tho, would be great if he could shoot.

Yeah. He is missing the "3" out of the "3 and D" model people are looking for these days in a wing. I love his D, though. He is not a bad finisher at the rim, either, from what I remember. That arm thing is a shame. I remember that being a concern when he was drafted. Glad he's stuck around so long.

Chronz
08-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Yeah. He is missing the "3" out of the "3 and D" model people are looking for these days in a wing. I love his D, though. He is not a bad finisher at the rim, either, from what I remember. That arm thing is a shame. I remember that being a concern when he was drafted. Glad he's stuck around so long.

Yeah I was gonna mention, those were the years when the Rox really could've used an athletic swing. He and Rodney Carney were guys I was hoping they would target if they couldn't get Gay. They made the best move tho (I suppose)

DreamShaker
08-20-2013, 06:24 PM

Yeah I was gonna mention, those were the years when the Rox really could've used an athletic swing. He and Rodney Carney were guys I was hoping they would target if they couldn't get Gay. They made the best move tho (I suppose)

With trading Gay for Battier? Probably so. I despised that trade when it went down, but Battier really grew on me. It is so weird looking back at it now, though, because Yao and T-Mac have been gone for years, and anyone they would have gotten then would have been gone now, just as Battier, Scola, Hayes, and Landry are now. But we had some sad wings. Luther Head and Ryan Bowen come to mind.

ManRam
08-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Doubt he'll have much of a tangible impact. I guess if they're really getting torched by a wing they could bring him in, but his ineptitude offensively essentially completely negates his defensive worth. The Rockets are thin after the top 2 at both SG and SF, so it certainly makes some sense. I just don't think he's worth much praise these days.

TheNumber37
08-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Wish his Jumper was still falling cause He'd be a Knick. Good Pickup for a team trying to go forward.

leprechaun5
08-20-2013, 07:29 PM
This is pretty much a meh signing .

tr3ymill3r
08-20-2013, 07:32 PM
As of now the Rockets have committed money to 18 players. 3 guys are going to get paid to do nothing. Morey has his own stimulus package by signing with the Rockets.

5ass
08-20-2013, 07:32 PM
I love how diverse their roster is in terms of talent.
At PG: Lin (playmaker), Beverley(defender), and Brooks(scorer).
At SF: Parsons (3&D), Williams (3), Brewer(D).
At PF: Asik(Defense), Jones (slashing+stretch4), Donatas (stretch 4).

McHale has a lot of options to work with.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Nice little pickup, wish we would make a move for a PF that can spread the floor though

The Rox have 18 players under contract. Despite the cute "Dwight will play PF while Asik plays C", I have to believe Asik, and some combination of players is gone before the season starts for some help at that position.

Chronz
08-20-2013, 08:08 PM
The Rox have 18 players under contract. Despite the cute "Dwight will play PF while Asik plays C", I have to believe Asik, and some combination of players is gone before the season starts for some help at that position.

Not until they try it. Dwights already up for it. Asik wants minutes.

The rockets have like 19 players or something but some of them dont have full season salary protection. Not sure which.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Not until they try it. Dwights already up for it. Asik wants minutes.

The rockets have like 19 players or something but some of them dont have full season salary protection. Not sure which.

I personally don't see a Dwight/Asik duo working for more than a few minutes a game.

ManRam
08-20-2013, 09:10 PM
As of now the Rockets have committed money to 18 players. 3 guys are going to get paid to do nothing. Morey has his own stimulus package by signing with the Rockets.

The Rockets have their own D-League team. I'd imagine two/three of Covington, Henriquez, Canaan, Williams or Young will be sent there. Young and Henriquez don't have guaranteed contracts, and I'm not sure if you're including them (I THINK I count 18 players not including those two, but I'm not sure). Reggie Williams' is only 50% guaranteed also. Others are partially guaranteed as well.

Either way, if they have to eat dead money we're not talking more than maybe 2-3 million.

It's not a big deal, at all.

MrfadeawayJB
08-20-2013, 09:36 PM
He adds defense and hustle, good pick up

Chronz
08-20-2013, 10:32 PM
I personally don't see a Dwight/Asik duo working for more than a few minutes a game.

Would it work better than the Greg Smith/Asik pairing that ultimately ended up with?

uprightciti
08-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Meh good guy but...really not much of an impact on a 2.5 man team.

MrfadeawayJB
08-20-2013, 11:06 PM
I love how diverse their roster is in terms of talent.
At PG: Lin (playmaker), Beverley(defender), and Brooks(scorer).
At SF: Parsons (3&D), Williams (3), Brewer(D).
At PF: Asik(Defense), Jones (slashing+stretch4), Donatas (stretch 4).

McHale has a lot of options to work with.

Cannan is very good. I think he is better than Brooks at this point

kblo247
08-21-2013, 04:39 AM

But its not like he is Bob Sura, Jim Jackson, or Matt Barnes. He doesn't rebound like a man possessed on the offensive glass, he can't run an offense, he can't score, and he's not a dirty enforcer on D like that ***** Dhantay Jones.

I mean you literally don't have to account for the guy. Phil used to tell them don't dont worry about him when Utah played LA those playoffs and they all ignored him. Story of his career vs any smart team. He had a good start to e year in ny but the shot hit a slump and his d can't warrant him being out there when its not dropping as he's not a banger defensively whose knocking heads to put fear in guys